Stokes and the Sun

hypochondriac

So I see the Sun has published details of a Stokes family tragedy from years ago. I was shocked that a newspaper is still allowed to act in this manner and stick something on their front page that surely cannot be newsworthy? Digging up a family tragedy from decades ago and trying to sell the newspaper off the back of the celebrity involved is disgusting behaviour and whilst I support freedom of the press, there should be a limit in my opinion.

So I see the Sun has published details of a Stokes family tragedy from years ago. I was shocked that a newspaper is still allowed to act in this manner and stick something on their front page that surely cannot be newsworthy? Digging up a family tragedy from decades ago and trying to sell the newspaper off the back of the celebrity involved is disgusting behaviour and whilst I support freedom of the press, there should be a limit in my opinion.

Haven't read the actual article (and not really that interested in doing so either) but I did read the response Stokes put out. Very damning and I'd imagine the Sun will be on the wrong side of public opinion on the matter - they probably don't care much but make them think twice before doing another story like this.

The Sun have always been scum.

Although at least a news paper and cant fathom why BBC and Sky show Daily Star when showing the front pages. Seriously have to be intellectually stunted to read that. The Sun knows it audience though.

I wouldn’t let any cnt who reads either vote although would extend that to Express, Mail and Telegraph.

The Sun have always been scum.

Although at least a news paper and cant fathom why BBC and Sky show Daily Star when showing the front pages. Seriously have to be intellectually stunted to read that. The Sun knows it audience though.

I wouldn’t let any cnt who reads either vote although would extend that to Express, Mail and Telegraph.

I would add the Guardian to that. What was it 'privileged grief'

When I worked in Fleet Street word was that The Sun always had a stock of salacious stories looked away in a safe for days when they wanted a main story buried or for quiet news days. Given Boris’s calamitous visit to Luxembourg perhaps they just used this story as deflection. The Mail is just as bad as The Sun these days. Sadly the right wing press know their market and are very good at manipulating them.

When I worked in Fleet Street word was that The Sun always had a stock of salacious stories looked away in a safe for days when they wanted a main story buried or for quiet news days. Given Boris’s calamitous visit to Luxembourg perhaps they just used this story as deflection. The Mail is just as bad as The Sun these days. Sadly the right wing press know their market and are very good at manipulating them.

The Mail isn't as bad as it was, since Dacre went.

It’ll probably just create a load of legal arguing and loop holes but I think they should need to prove a story is in the public’s best interest before publishing it.

The problem with that is it would put certain magazines like Hello and Grazia out of business, as they post nothing but pointless hearsay and gossip about people’s personal lives.

Both The Sun and The Guardian have disgraced themselves this week. I know it's the "Freedom of the Press", but **** me, show some damn civility.
Yep. Unfortunate that soggy is trying to turn it into his usual demonisation of the "right." Like you say its been a disgrace from both sides and it needs addressing because 99% of people would agree that content like that should not be being published.

It’ll probably just create a load of legal arguing and loop holes but I think they should need to prove a story is in the public’s best interest before publishing it.

The problem with that is it would put certain magazines like Hello and Grazia out of business, as they post nothing but pointless hearsay and gossip about people’s personal lives.

Can't see a downside there! I can't see how either the Guardian or the sun could argue there was public interest in their front page or their opinion piece. Just nasty opportunist rubbish with neither displaying a shred or empathy.

Can't see a downside there! I can't see how either the Guardian or the sun could argue there was public interest in their front page or their opinion piece. Just nasty opportunist rubbish with neither displaying a shred or empathy.

Agree with you and Lighthouse but the press will always use freedom as a excuse and they will always worm their way into our politicians eg Murdoch with Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Cameron, DT with Boris. Would love to see the tabloids shut for good like the NOTW. It would do more for English education levels rising than opening a hundred schools.

The Guardian article at the weekend was pathetic and showed a worrying lack of editorial oversight. No justification for it. Rightly an apology. Do not want to see that journalist in print again.

However, the Sun and its stablemates have very long form for this regardless of whichever politician it was supporting - Gotcha in the Falklands with the Belgrano, Hillsborough lies, Milly Dowler and now this.

For a paper that claims to champion the underclass against elites, they sure look like a hired gun for the establishment to me. Now they have picked on a World Cup winner and national hero - bad move. The guy wasn’t even born when it happened yet the potential for distress to his family is high. Zero public interest. It did get a lot of public interest in NZ...in 1988. How on earth is a tragedy from 31 years ago and 12000 miles away relevant in 2019 Britain?

Rare I agree with scousers but they have the right idea - stop buying it rather than censor it.

The Mail isn't as bad as it was, since Dacre went.

You should try the book Mail Men about some of Dacre’s behaviour towards his staff - no wonder the paper became so vindictive.

Although the Lawrence headline about naming the and shaming lads who were eventually convicted took guts - some respect for doing that. That was as brave as The Sun is cowardly.

Agree with you and Lighthouse but the press will always use freedom as a excuse and they will always worm their way into our politicians eg Murdoch with Thatcher, Blair, Brown and Cameron, DT with Boris. Would love to see the tabloids shut for good like the NOTW. It would do more for English education levels rising than opening a hundred schools.

The Guardian article at the weekend was pathetic and showed a worrying lack of editorial oversight. No justification for it. Rightly an apology. Do not want to see that journalist in print again.

However, the Sun and its stablemates have very long form for this regardless of whichever politician it was supporting - Gotcha in the Falklands with the Belgrano, Hillsborough lies, Milly Dowler and now this.

For a paper that claims to champion the underclass against elites, they sure look like a hired gun for the establishment to me. Now they have picked on a World Cup winner and national hero - bad move. The guy wasn’t even born when it happened yet the potential for distress to his family is high. Zero public interest. It did get a lot of public interest in NZ...in 1988. How on earth is a tragedy from 31 years ago and 12000 miles away relevant in 2019 Britain?

Rare I agree with scousers but they have the right idea - stop buying it rather than censor it.

Surely there must be somethibg that someone can do in this case? It's so clearly of no public interest now and the intent was solely to stir up trouble for no reason at all. 99% of people don't want to see the paper get away with something so blatantly offensive. Like Stoke says what the f*ck have his family done to deserve to be front page news over a tragedy from decades ago? It's a disgrace abd it makes me angry thinking about it. My mother had a personal tragedy before I was born that resulted in a dead child and the thought of her having to relive that now is shocking.

Feels to me the story was originally planned out to be a front page tearful exclusive interview with Stokes about how the tragedy drives him on etc etc. It wouldn't surprise me if that the half-sister was told that Ben was on board when they got quotes from her.

When he refuses to play ball on that, the Sun just run it anyway because they are scum.

Dreadful editorial decision and utterly cretinous story.

I a free society it is important to have a free press. Unfortunately self regulation does not always work and there needs to be sanctions when people step over the mark. I am sure none of us want censorship. Unfortunately we have a heavily skewed press in this country and at the risk of upsetting Pepe again, the right wing hold sway. Sadly papers like The Sun do influence people’s views and sway elections. If they didn’t people like Murdoch would not be interested in owning them. Most of the press ownership in this country are anti EU, anti politics remotely left of centre and push their agendas remorselessly. Whilst it is unpleasant to see an innocent family distressed in this way, the daily erosion of truth in the pursuit of self interest by the likes of Murdoch is a far greater worry.

I a free society it is important to have a free press. Unfortunately self regulation does not always work and there needs to be sanctions when people step over the mark. I am sure none of us want censorship. Unfortunately we have a heavily skewed press in this country and at the risk of upsetting Pepe again, the right wing hold sway. Sadly papers like The Sun do influence people’s views and sway elections. If they didn’t people like Murdoch would not be interested in owning them. Most of the press ownership in this country are anti EU, anti politics remotely left of centre and push their agendas remorselessly. Whilst it is unpleasant to see an innocent family distressed in this way, the daily erosion of truth in the pursuit of self interest by the likes of Murdoch is a far greater worry.
There are pr*cks on both sides of the political divide. I don't care what the political affiliation is, it's disgusting and shouldn't be happening. You just want go score points for your "side" as usual. Maybe go and start your own thread about the right wing bogeyman you go to bed fearing every night and leave the normal people to the grown up discussions.

That was The Sun too.

Why am I not surprised. News International pulled a stroke when the closed the News of the World but they are clearly still operating on the same level. It would have been interest to sit in the meeting when it was decided to send a hack round to inform his parents that he has HIV. How do you justify that?