Chris Nicholl

Bad Wolf

Ex-Saints player and manager Chris Nicholl has dementia and is in supported living.

Most of us probably know someone, if not well, who's gone through this either indirectly or directly. Like they say about cancer, it probably affects everyone at some point.

People who work with those who have the disease are so admirable. I'm not sure I could do it and there's loads of great dementia charities. Maybe we could set up some kind of GoFund thingy and donate to a charity on behalf of the forum in acknowledgement of our support of Nicholl? Not really sure how it works tbh.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/50884/?fbclid=IwAR2oAGFSW7sr6EMPZkucCWMajFcXVm8txMzN6Cvi2oic_wB48niqwfdMsMs

Ex-Saints player and manager Chris Nicholl has dementia and is in supported living.

Most of us probably know someone, if not well, who's gone through this either indirectly or directly. Like they say about cancer, it probably affects everyone at some point.

People who work with those who have the disease are so admirable. I'm not sure I could do it and there's loads of great dementia charities. Maybe we could set up some kind of GoFund thingy and donate to a charity on behalf of the forum in acknowledgement of our support of Nicholl? Not really sure how it works tbh.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/50884/?fbclid=IwAR2oAGFSW7sr6EMPZkucCWMajFcXVm8txMzN6Cvi2oic_wB48niqwfdMsMs

Dementia is horrible for all concerned I’d be happy to chip in.

I work in a dementia care home and the condition is both sobering and terrifying, even though I am not directly involved in the care side of the home. Those who are, really are heroes in my opinion. I had very little understanding of it until I began working in the home. I even give my own time to listen and engage, which isn't something I would have envisaged myself doing previously, if I'm honest. Very rewarding.

There are several larger charities in the UK who are very worthy of support: Alzheimer's Society, Dementia UK, BRACE and Playlist For Life.

Given the cost of dementia care currently, a lot of assisted living/care homes would probably welcome any assistance they could get too, whether it be financial or volunteering. Maybe CNs care providers would benefit directly? Just spit balling really, having a little insight.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I knew Chris as I used to play tennis with him in a four which is now the David Lloyd centre. A lovely man and loved talking football, especially Saints. His team played such exciting free flowing football, sadly couldn't defend but he was sacked before he should have, he was burdened by following LM if he had followed Branfoot he would have had a long reign IMO

A great player and a much better manager than some gave him credit for at the time, me included. I hope he's getting the care he needs; but continuing cuts to social services will only get worse if the tories remain in charge, so he and other dementia sufferers are going to need all the charity they can get. Good luck fella

I wonder if heading the old heavier ball was a causative factor as he isn't very old.

An awful illness, particularly for his loved ones who have to watch the decline like I did my mother.

Could be. I recall watching a video of him re-watching the 1987 league cup semi vs Liverpool. He couldn’t remember most of the game.

When I was a postdoc at Dundee I wrote him a letter thanking him for doing a great job as manager, but mentioned a big weakness at the back (Kevin Bond's position - hint, hint). I suggested he look at a Dundee defender (captain there) who I suggested would do a better job. He took the time to write back saying he'd sent a scout to have a look but he (the scout) didn't think the player was any better. I was surprised he had taken the time to write back a nice reply, and even more surprised he'd sent out a scout. Top bloke.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am Chris Nicholl's daughter. Just came across your feed and wanted to thank you for your kind comments and stories shared!

He is now living in a care home in Southampton, so close to his family. He is doing really well, aside from the worsening dementia.

If you'd like to support him we are hosting a Chris Nicholl Charity match, with the ex-saints legends playing a football game in his name at AFC Totton football ground. Friday 13th May, kick off at 1930. Here is the facebook event link- https://fb.me/e/2oC0mHzkZ

• Like 34

57 minutes ago, CathyN said:

Hi, I am Chris Nicholl's daughter. Just came across your feed and wanted to thank you for your kind comments and stories shared!

He is now living in a care home in Southampton, so close to his family. He is doing really well, aside from the worsening dementia.

If you'd like to support him we are hosting a Chris Nicholl Charity match, with the ex-saints legends playing a football game in his name at AFC Totton football ground. Friday 13th May, kick off at 1930. Here is the facebook event link- https://fb.me/e/2oC0mHzkZ

Great to hear that he's close to home and doing well. I'll definitely pop along on Friday :) 

• Like 1

As a kid I used to play in the Sotonia Cup tournament each summer. I remember some teammates and I were having a kickabout off to the side in between matches, when Chris Nicholl and Dennis Rofe wandered up and asked if they could join in. As a Saints-mad kid goalkeeper I was so starstruck that I went to pieces at that point and promptly had the worst game of my life. But I remember to this day what a lovely fella he was, and it meant I got to tell everyone I knew that I’d played against the manager of Southampton, which was a big deal in the backwaters of the New Forest. He made a young lad’s day that day! 

• Like 4

On 12/05/2022 at 11:33, CathyN said:

Great to hear that your Dad is doing well Cathy, and the best of luck with the match, hoping to make it over to Totton this evening. Looking after and out for a parent with dementia is extremely tough and can be exhausting.  Your Dad was a favourite of mine as a kid, especially alongside Dave Watson, the epitome of a hard as nails solid centre half - boy could we do with in the side now.

• Like 2

Best wishes to your Dad.  Careful publicising his charity event on here though...  You'll get all sorts of melts pressuring you to cancel it once they find out MLT is involved.

Hi Cathy, just wanted to say it was a great evening last night and it was a great turnout for your Dad :) great to see so many our legends playing and it was good win for the Saints Legends 6-5. Best wishes to your Dad.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this has been posted before, but there's a charity game to raise money for Nicholl at AFC Totton - it's on Sunday 20th August at 3pm and features ex-saints players (not sure who though).  Also a justgiving page:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23714382.1k-raised-charity-match-southampton-fc-player/

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/chrisnichollcharitymatch

Edited by Barsiem
  • Like 5