Saints vs. Bournemouth - Match Thread

Lighthouse

He hasn't done any worse than anyone else but I just don't get why he's playing Cedric at LB when Bertrand is on the bench. It ruins our width because Cedric wants to come in all the time. No shape and no idea i'm afraid. They fully deserve to be ahead.

So Valery can't get on the bench, but Stephens can. Injury?

Bertrand can't get a game, so we play a right footed RB at LB, and a CB who has played LB at RB.

And for some reason things aren't working.

In the words of Adrian Durham: "Ralph H: is he all that?"

The manager seems quite clueless when selecting and organizing a defence. Yes, we have limited quality in every area but surely he can see that was not going to work. Will he have the smarts to sort it out in the second half? If not then I can only think he believes it more important to make a point with certain players than winning games. Truly awful performance.

Appalling from manager, players and the fans. RH has cocked that up and would never recover from that type of debacle at Spurs or Man U, so he and Saints are ideal as he can he do very well overall and be forgiven when has a selection brain fart - and this isn’t the first one by a long way eg Cardiff last year.

Players were lazy and sloppy from the start. Fans should be really singing Bertrand and Valery’s names, put lots of pressure on RH to swallow his pride and drop this silly set up. It doesn’t work.

Get Bertie on, move Cedric back and Danso in centre back in place of the lanky sloth.

Also JWP seems to of lost his dead ball skills this season as he can't beat the 1st man, hojberg's ability perhaps doesn't match his mouth.

On plus side boufal and Redmond looking good and romeu getting involved

Why does the useless danso get to stay on.

Crap.

We are so unbalanced without Bertrand. He must start on Tuesday.

I can't see us doing anything much in the 2nd half, unless he bring on Bertrand for Danso maybe and goes 4222 . No one has had a good half for us.

Also, if you have a right footer at left back, don't put another right footer in front of him, unless you want the oppo to know that you are going to cut inside every time !

Overall, I don't think we're playing that badly. We're winning the ball in their half and making all the running and dictating the tempo of the game.

But that defence is f*cking hideous. Case in point - at one stage, under no pressure, Vest messed up his jump and gave it straight back, then was far too slow to react when the ball came back in again. He's a massive liability. After not putting a foot wrong last Saturday, Maya must be right miffed at being left out again in favour of this charlatan.

What on earth has happened with Bertrand? If he's leaving then why is he even on the bench? If he's fit enough to play then get him on FFS.

Because he can run at least and is vaguely athletic. Would help if he was actually played in position.

Whatever issue RH with Bertrand it needs sorting out and if the manager won’t do it, Semmens night have to.

Several times at the end of the half he struggled to pass to a team mate 2 feet away.

Looked worse than vestergaard even in his natural position. If he’s our center back savior he’s hiding it well.

The one thing that's been impressive is the number of times we've stolen possession from them. Romeu is usually the key. Bring on Bertrand, move Cedric back to right and keep the aggression up... You never know. Next goal crucial.

Yes, this is the only positive. Our pressing is working. Now to do something with it.

Overall, I don't think we're playing that badly. We're winning the ball in their half and making all the running and dictating the tempo of the game.

But that defence is f*cking hideous. Case in point - at one stage, under no pressure, Vest messed up his jump and gave it straight back, then was far too slow to react when the ball came back in again. He's a massive liability. After not putting a foot wrong last Saturday, Maya must be right miffed at being left out again in favour of this charlatan.

What on earth has happened with Bertrand? If he's leaving then why is he even on the bench? If he's fit enough to play then get him on FFS.

Eh? We've created almost nothing and conceded 2 (would've been 3 but for King's big toe). What's your standard for playing badly?

I genuinely feel sorry for Danso. I thought he was supposed to come in and be a decent CB and here he is playing a different position every half an hour. No wonder he looks lost.

Valery - Yoshida - Danso - Bertrand

Give that defence five uninterrupted games in a row, then see if we’re any better.

I genuinely feel sorry for Danso. I thought he was supposed to come in and be a decent CB and here he is playing a different position every half an hour. No wonder he looks lost.

Valery - Yoshida - Danso - Bertrand

Give that defence five uninterrupted games in a row, then see if we’re any better.

Exactly. Consistency. Ralph is perhaps not a tactical genius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we at better this half and end up doing OK then the manager has basically lost us this game with his selections.

My thoughts exactly. Very naive to shoehorn players into a formation. These games are won and lost on very fine margins, having players uncomfortable in positions is asking for trouble.