Saints 1-3 Bournemouth - Reaction

Lighthouse

Based on your "appreciation" of football, I'd say under Puel we won every game, every league, everything. Based on simply reading what you've written you not only fail to make a convincing argument but more seem to actually support the counter-argument that you dislike.

Shots that go 200 feet over the bar all the time might count as shots but otherwise are a hazard for low-flying aircraft rather than the goalkeeper. A daisy-cutter is not a good chance but an opportunity for the the opposition fans to take the **** out of the effort. Etcetera.

Sheffield United had more, better chances than we did. They also had David McGoaldrought. Bournemouth had far fewer chances, slacked off in the second half, but were capable of scoring and we didn't so much play offside for King's ruled-out goal as lose the player and let him get it wrong. I assume that's why Long isn't playing: the VAR highlights of him being offside would double the length of the game.

We played a middle of the rang side who played badly in the second half and overall we were worse where it mattered (both boxes, as always). That's it.

As for the comment about having a team that can play in multiple ways, that's not so much of a new thing and Eddie Howe does it as do many others so it's nothing special and nor should it be with professional footballers unless they really can't do a bloody thing without someone else pulling their strings (and they can on the continent, so why are footballers in this country then so different?).

If we do need to experiment, get 3-0 up and do it in the last 20 mins like we used to do when introducing youth players into the fold.

I had hoped for and expected a draw as we aren't particularly good so the defeat wasn't too much of a surprise. Let's win easily on Tuesday and this result will be forgotten.

Maybe have another read of what I've actually said, maybe another think about it too.

Rubbish. We were very close to scoring two on several occasions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We're often "close" to scoring. Has been much the same for a couple of seasons now. Problem is we don't take the chances.

Why are we so consistently poor in front of goal ? Can't just be down to luck.

Strangely following a defeat, a lot of decent and insightful posts here, highlighting specifics rather than writing us off as being unlucky or terrible.

Although I thought we looked a lot better in the second half (both better than our first half performance and better than Bournemouth), Bournemouth were a lot more effective at keeping us at arm's length. We always looked on the edge of creating something, but more often than not that ended up with a shot from distance, or a blocked shot. Whether or not they were prepared to let us have the ball 25 yards from goal is debatable, but they were certainly more organised when it came to preventing that final ball. That's what concerns me about our defence - too often there are scenarios where the opposition players just run and run without anyone getting near them and then they also have acres of space to pass into. Sometimes it is because we are hit on the counter attack, but not always. Is it because we push so many forward that we are left exposed? Find it hard to believe that's the case with three CBs.

Theory on Romeu - and it is just a hypothesis, as I think he's great - is there a case that he tends to look good when the rest of the team are struggling, or when we are playing better teams, simply because he has more defensive work to do? A bit like how a goalkeeper in a poor side often looks good because he has lots of shots to save. I also think he tends to play better when he is a solitary DM rather than as one of two, perhaps because he is necessarily involved more. Don't get me wrong, if that is the case then that's still a good reason to play him, but I still worry about the two or three times he fails to track his runner from midfield in a match, which often proves costly.

I put that down to us gifting them a two goal lead in the 1st half which meant they didn't have to commit bodies forward in the second half but just look for the counter. We have been poor at breaking down teams with lots of bodies behind the ball for a long time.

We're often "close" to scoring. Has been much the same for a couple of seasons now. Problem is we don't take the chances.

It tells you something that our highest scorer in one season , since we returned to the PL, is still Lambert with 15. Even in our best season, under Koeman, Pelle and Mane managed 11 each in a season (which isn't that impressive really). Sadly none of our attacking players since then have even looked like getting anywhere close to that sort of goal tally.

Yeah, very frustrating re Prowse. Had 3 good opportunities on goal and skied them all. I thought he was the one in the squad that's supposed to know how to direct a ball.

His fabled accuracy from dead-ball situations is also something of a myth. How many goal scoring opportunities from free-kicks around the opposition penalty area has he hoofed over the goal? A player with an accurate shot, like Lambert or Le Tissier, would have scored from many of them. His corners nearly all go to opposition players as well.

I'd love to see someone who really can shoot, like Djenepo, take over as our main free-kick taker.

I put that down to us gifting them a two goal lead in the 1st half which meant they didn't have to commit bodies forward in the second half but just look for the counter. We have been poor at breaking down teams with lots of bodies behind the ball for a long time.

Oh without doubt, but they were still able to do it. Bet we wouldn't fare so well...!

Can’t add much that hasn’t already been said - Ralph needs to take the blame for that, first half was an utter shambles, and how Vest continues to get picked is beyond me. Listening to Solent when I got back to the car Merrington was rightfully laying into Ralph for just chatting rubbish in his post match interview instead of holding his hands up to the poor team selection.

Of all the things Ralph has done, this is the one that continually baffles me. Why does he continue to trot out Big V onto the pitch ahead of Yoshida. I just don't see it. Match in and match out he gets beat. Is Ralph just going by height? For me, if I was the manager, Yoshida would be one of the first names on my list each week

Easy to block them with everyone back in defence due to the ever ponderous,crab football that has proceeded it. If you can't get good players at least get quick ones that can occasionally pass forward.

The things is that much of the sideways and bak is unnecessary.

It drives me nuts to see someone pushing forward, with space in front of them, only for the pass to be square and often backwards. Momentum gone.

And then we immerse ourselves in those tight little "going nowhere" passing triangles three feet in from the touchline.

Bournemouth didn't play many square or backwards passes when pushing forward and nor did Sheffield United.

Big loss Saints! We were all over Bournemouth! They were very lucky to win. If we could have finished some of our chances, we would have won easily. Great pressing, causing Bournemouth to cough it up many times in great areas. We simply outplayed them! Out hustled them! Out shot them! They just put their few chances away! Lucky for them :( . Many are blaming Ralf or Vest.....not my choice as to where to place blame.

Ralf has created an exciting team that is playing exciting football (from the same players we had last few years), he has improved the team greatly......he does his job - DONE! He can't kick the ball, track the man, play the smart ball", score the goals...…..he has managed/coached/taught…..! The players need to execute! We have the best pressing game in the league (better than the poch press). The way players are intelligently squeezing the ball into dangerous areas is almost perfection! This will leave the defense exposed on a fast counter, a symptom of our press we cannot avoid! This leads to the criticism of Vesty, too slow, poor heading...etc.

Once again armchair coaches feel they are better than our manager in determining the team make up. They see more in 90 min than RALF DOES ALL WEEK! I am not a Vesty hater, I do think he is a bit slow but that is it. His passing, desire and composure is very good, in my opinion. I try to see what Ralf sees..... and I do. If blame has to be handed around it could be laid at the feet of Holb and JWP.

Lets start with JWP, one who I always thought was going to be Mr. Saints. Placed in the team over the years to many peoples dismay (he a donkey, not a PL player), yet he made the England team and is consistently the hardest worker on the team. His sublime skill level is not there, but his industriousness, passing, tracking, etc are all quality level. His shooting today let the team down. He had great chances to tie or win the game, but it just didn't happen for him. He not prolific, so I shrug and say good try, but bad luck!

Holby on the other hand I am trying to like, as he has the enthusiasm and desire to play hard, I just see him not reaching certain skill levels. When he came from Barca I was hoping he had the composure on the ball like most of the Barca players. He tries to keep/shield the ball, but he seemed to slow in mind and feet to dance or shield a ball consistently. His passing was poor. He said he had a change of mind a few season later and seemed to improve in that crucial role of defensive midfield, shielding, composure and passing. He stood up to be counted, and was given the captaincy. But now that the whole team performance has improved under Ralf, he is starting to stand out as a week link. It is not his desire, sometime he has too much. I squarely blame him for the 2nd goal, he half assed tracked the man back, probably because he was running back from being too far in advance position. He had two chances to stop that goal, but did the ""I am running behind trying to catch but not really...someone else will do my job? He just looked too knackered to get back. His poor decision to advance forward too far! I still support HolB because he plays for Saints and with Saints passion!!

I am ****ed off at the result, not the manager, not even the team. We battered them! Cut them open, danced in their box, stole the ball from them at will, camped in their half! All positive thing. So Bournemouth countered a few time, put their chances away beautifully, clinically! King is a legit forward who is wanted by the big clubs, we are still developing ours. Football is such a cruel game!

I am not try to bash our players, I hate it when we Saints supporters do that as denigration of a player never led to good things. It is an opinion base forum, but how players are so quickly written off by supporters is ridiculous. Many have never played pro ball, or studied and learned all about football, yet they know best? Some have made terrible remarks about players only to admit they were wrong. But instead of learning humbleness they continue to slag players anew? Please watch the game, even several times, watch when things go wrong, who and how. Watch again next week, study what we did right and wrong. Then you can make an informed opinion, one that maybe accepted by the forum readers because you speak with wisdom.

I like the Manager!, his style of play, his desire to win, his improvement of the players, his recruitment policy. His style is exciting and dangerous, my kind of Manager (Marcelo Bielsa next please!). I will take the good with the bad. Bournemouth and Liverfools exploited us with clinical finishing with the few chances provided. I still hold my head high, we still give a good game, still can wear the colours proud!! This is because of the manager and Saints players who are not the Galacticos of football, but give their all to give us an entertaining game. This is the key to surviving as a Saint amongst the big boys! I hated like most the drab Pello and Peul styles, it was a quiet few long years for me. But now I can chant back Scousehampton fans, Manfu fans etc. knowing we give a good game even if we don't win! Bless up our SAINTS and supporters, we will be on the edge of our seats all season, isn't it exciting!!

Please punish Pompey!! March on Pompey, Saints March, trample, or stomp on!!

Big loss Saints! We were all over Bournemouth! They were very lucky to win. If we could have finished some of our chances, we would have won easily. Great pressing, causing Bournemouth to cough it up many times in great areas. We simply outplayed them! Out hustled them! Out shot them! They just put their few chances away! Lucky for them :( . Many are blaming Ralf or Vest.....not my choice as to where to place blame.

Ralf has created an exciting team that is playing exciting football (from the same players we had last few years), he has improved the team greatly......he does his job - DONE! He can't kick the ball, track the man, play the smart ball", score the goals...…..he has managed/coached/taught…..! The players need to execute! We have the best pressing game in the league (better than the poch press). The way players are intelligently squeezing the ball into dangerous areas is almost perfection! This will leave the defense exposed on a fast counter, a symptom of our press we cannot avoid! This leads to the criticism of Vesty, too slow, poor heading...etc.

Once again armchair coaches feel they are better than our manager in determining the team make up. They see more in 90 min than RALF DOES ALL WEEK! I am not a Vesty hater, I do think he is a bit slow but that is it. His passing, desire and composure is very good, in my opinion. I try to see what Ralf sees..... and I do. If blame has to be handed around it could be laid at the feet of Holb and JWP.

Lets start with JWP, one who I always thought was going to be Mr. Saints. Placed in the team over the years to many peoples dismay (he a donkey, not a PL player), yet he made the England team and is consistently the hardest worker on the team. His sublime skill level is not there, but his industriousness, passing, tracking, etc are all quality level. His shooting today let the team down. He had great chances to tie or win the game, but it just didn't happen for him. He not prolific, so I shrug and say good try, but bad luck!

Holby on the other hand I am trying to like, as he has the enthusiasm and desire to play hard, I just see him not reaching certain skill levels. When he came from Barca I was hoping he had the composure on the ball like most of the Barca players. He tries to keep/shield the ball, but he seemed to slow in mind and feet to dance or shield a ball consistently. His passing was poor. He said he had a change of mind a few season later and seemed to improve in that crucial role of defensive midfield, shielding, composure and passing. He stood up to be counted, and was given the captaincy. But now that the whole team performance has improved under Ralf, he is starting to stand out as a week link. It is not his desire, sometime he has too much. I squarely blame him for the 2nd goal, he half assed tracked the man back, probably because he was running back from being too far in advance position. He had two chances to stop that goal, but did the ""I am running behind trying to catch but not really...someone else will do my job? He just looked too knackered to get back. His poor decision to advance forward too far! I still support HolB because he plays for Saints and with Saints passion!!

I am ****ed off at the result, not the manager, not even the team. We battered them! Cut them open, danced in their box, stole the ball from them at will, camped in their half! All positive thing. So Bournemouth countered a few time, put their chances away beautifully, clinically! King is a legit forward who is wanted by the big clubs, we are still developing ours. Football is such a cruel game!

I am not try to bash our players, I hate it when we Saints supporters do that as denigration of a player never led to good things. It is an opinion base forum, but how players are so quickly written off by supporters is ridiculous. Many have never played pro ball, or studied and learned all about football, yet they know best? Some have made terrible remarks about players only to admit they were wrong. But instead of learning humbleness they continue to slag players anew? Please watch the game, even several times, watch when things go wrong, who and how. Watch again next week, study what we did right and wrong. Then you can make an informed opinion, one that maybe accepted by the forum readers because you speak with wisdom.

I like the Manager!, his style of play, his desire to win, his improvement of the players, his recruitment policy. His style is exciting and dangerous, my kind of Manager (Marcelo Bielsa next please!). I will take the good with the bad. Bournemouth and Liverfools exploited us with clinical finishing with the few chances provided. I still hold my head high, we still give a good game, still can wear the colours proud!! This is because of the manager and Saints players who are not the Galacticos of football, but give their all to give us an entertaining game. This is the key to surviving as a Saint amongst the big boys! I hated like most the drab Pello and Peul styles, it was a quiet few long years for me. But now I can chant back Scousehampton fans, Manfu fans etc. knowing we give a good game even if we don't win! Bless up our SAINTS and supporters, we will be on the edge of our seats all season, isn't it exciting!!

Who the heck is Holby from Barca?

Hojbjerg from Bayern?

The things is that much of the sideways and bak is unnecessary.

It drives me nuts to see someone pushing forward, with space in front of them, only for the pass to be square and often backwards. Momentum gone.

And then we immerse ourselves in those tight little "going nowhere" passing triangles three feet in from the touchline.

Bournemouth didn't play many square or backwards passes when pushing forward and nor did Sheffield United.

Good job you weren't there. The chances to pass forward to open players were numerous but the ball was always passed to the player almost level. JWP is bloody hopeless. He is too slow, too weak, always opts for the sideways or backwards and finds it impossible to beat a man just turns back. We need more pace in midfield and a willingness to make early runs into the box. JWP seems to find it impossible to direct a moving ball.

We were conned by Eddie Howe and RH contributed to that with the rediculous team selection. Bournemouth were in damage limitation mode, win the ball and break quickly and try and get at our ponderous unbalanced defence. I'd like to meet the idiot that finally decided Vestergaard was the answer, We'd have loved playing against somebody so slow.

Time to rethink. We've got a few forwards, Armstrong into midfield, get rid of the slow players such as Vestergaard and JWP, bring in Yoshida or try Danso alongside Bednarek and give Gunn a kick up the backside. Huddersfield's equaliser was a similar brainfart last season. Pick a balanced side and stop experimenting. Valery/Soares at right back and Bertrand on the left. Hojbjerg strikes me as a bit thick as his play looks like he has learnt nothing during his time at Munich.

Mate, after that little lot, you might want to change your user name to Bermuda Triangle!

Very poor first half, doubtless Ralph has learned some lessons. It was the sort of defeat though where there are genuine positives to be drawn when the dust settles, which for me were the second half creativity, Boufal and Romeu outstanding again and good to get Redmond back. And great to see Bertrand back, hopefully for good.

Very poor first half, doubtless Ralph has learned some lessons. It was the sort of defeat though where there are genuine positives to be drawn when the dust settles, which for me were the second half creativity, Boufal and Romeu outstanding again and good to get Redmond back. And great to see Bertrand back, hopefully for good.

Sensible and accurate post

6 or 7 of their team would walk into our side.

Wilson, the striker not the Liverpool loanee would, but the rest meh, Fraser on top form but he seems out of favour at the moment so maybe not as his best. I also like King but he doesn't score that many.

But their defence and midfield, nah, not at all. We just made it too easy for them first half and weren't quick enough with the final ball/shot in the 2nd half.

We should all remember that sadly our forwards in Ings and Adams are out of form so are not looking confident, our two most confident goal threats, one was injured, the other had just come back from injury. We need one of the strikers to get a goal so we have a confident striker and Djenpo back in the team.

I like Ralph, as a I think, do a majority of Saints' fans, but he doesn't seem to know his best team. Bertrand is our best left back and was fit, otherwise he wouldn't have been on the bench. Cedric is a European championship winner and Yoshida is captain of Japan. They should be the first three names on the team sheet. Danso was bought as a CB. so it should be a matter of him or Bednarek com[letting the back four. Romeu is a given at DFM as is Højbjerg. Redmond and Boufal pick themselves from performances leaving only two spots in the strike force. Djenepo is another cert and since Adams has yet to deliver at this level, the other spot must be Danny Ings. Of that eleven, only Djenepo wasn't available yesterday, giving Adams his place, but the rest of yesterday's selection was down to Ralph. It was a mistake and even if he learns a lesson I still wish we had been able to get Eddie Howe here.

Forking horror show of a game, was looking forward to being at the game and went home feeling mugged off by Ralph's heads gone team choice and set up! He got it completely wrong...all on show for everyone see how sh!t we were on tv...going to hate being at work on Monday with people taking the p!ss...

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Good job you weren't there. The chances to pass forward to open players were numerous but the ball was always passed to the player almost level. JWP is bloody hopeless. He is too slow, too weak, always opts for the sideways or backwards and finds it impossible to beat a man just turns back. We need more pace in midfield and a willingness to make early runs into the box. JWP seems to find it impossible to direct a moving ball.

We were conned by Eddie Howe and RH contributed to that with the rediculous team selection. Bournemouth were in damage limitation mode, win the ball and break quickly and try and get at our ponderous unbalanced defence. I'd like to meet the idiot that finally decided Vestergaard was the answer, We'd have loved playing against somebody so slow.

Time to rethink. We've got a few forwards, Armstrong into midfield, get rid of the slow players such as Vestergaard and JWP, bring in Yoshida or try Danso alongside Bednarek and give Gunn a kick up the backside. Huddersfield's equaliser was a similar brainfart last season. Pick a balanced side and stop experimenting. Valery/Soares at right back and Bertrand on the left. Hojbjerg strikes me as a bit thick as his play looks like he has learnt nothing during his time at Munich.

Derry, I’ve watched most of JWP’s 200 plus appearances for Saints and I’m still scratching my head wondering what it is about his game that some supporters and up to this point RH decide is good enough to keep including him. By any objective measure he’s been mediocre this season. When is the penny going to drop. When is the mythology of JWP being some sort of dead ball genius going to be laid to rest? He’s been tried in every position on the pitch except CB and Goalkeeper and hasn’t demonstrated a fit in any role. I find his unchallenged selection this season bewildering.

Derry, I’ve watched most of JWP’s 200 plus appearances for Saints and I’m still scratching my head wondering what it is about his game that some supporters and up to this point RH decide is good enough to keep including him. By any objective measure he’s been mediocre this season. When is the penny going to drop. When is the mythology of JWP being some sort of dead ball genius going to be laid to rest? He’s been tried in every position on the pitch except CB and Goalkeeper and hasn’t demonstrated a fit in any role. I find his unchallenged selection this season bewildering.
Amazing. I was at the game last night and saw nothing at all wrong with JWP's performance. I guess it's easy from an armchair to see the easy forward passes. From where I sat in the stand it was hard work probing to find a way through.

He had a solid game, with a cracking penalty.

Bit of a late review on it all, but it was pretty **** all being told.

All huff and puff in the 2nd half, no real quality. First half we ****ed ourselves over because we ****ed around with the back 4 again, yet to absolutely no one’s surprise we looked more balanced in the 2nd half when Bertrand was on. Something really odd going on there with him and the manager, no questions about that. Doubt he'll be around after January.

But generally, the midfield was ****, apart from Romeu who put himself about. JWP just flatters, Hoj is exactly the same - they have 1 good game every 10, and then just lapse back into mediocrity.

Adams struggled big style and Ings didn't do much after he came on either. Boufal was frustrating, lots of runs but very little end product (same as the Boufal we came to know and not love). Redmond looked rusty, no surprise - looked like a game too early for him if I'm honest.

Don't get me started on Vesterguard, jesus f christ. Absolute oaf. Yeah, he's tall, but so am I – but I don't play football, and the jury's out on whether he should either. Honestly, dreadful. Getting pulled all over, the pace of a turtle and the turning circle of a tank. Another absolute awesome signing by the genius that is Ross.

Onto Tuesday we go then, but the Bournemouth game just set us back a bit as it really did highlight our two biggest weaknesses – don’t enough goals per chances and concede too many. The recipe for quite a rubbish team, if we’re honest.

This is an observation not particularly regarding football ability, but the Bournemouth side looked more athletic and fitter than us. In general our bunch looked like a team of plodders.
Because they are a bunch of plodders. It's been a massive issue for us for a while now.

Our midfield is easily bypassed on the counter attack because Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse are slower than coastal erosion.

Throw in a centre back pairing that would get lapped in a 100m race and we're ripe for the picking from any side with a bit of pace. Our full backs aren't even particularly pacy.

With Djenepo and Adams, we've at least added a bit of speed up top, but that doesn't address all the other areas of deficiency.

Plenty of sides have slow centre backs, but they compensate by defending deep and compact. Tactical genius Hasenhuttl wants us to play an aggressive, pressing style with a high line - but he doesn't have the players for it. Once the opposition beat the slow moving press, five or six players are out of the game and don't have the legs to get back.

I think he's showing himself that be quite one dimensional as a coach. He hasn't adapted very well to the squad at his disposal, as opposed to the squad he wishes he had.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Seeing the highlights, don't think I was right to think it was Romeu who didn't track the run from Wilson. However, he is very slow to sense the danger of Bournemouth mounting an attack and is quickly caught ahead of the ball, which should rarely be the case. The main culprit though, which surprised me having only seen the move from a different angle previously, was Cedric. He isn't marking anyone, he can see Wilson is unmarked, and then even points at him. Just go and mark him yourself ffs. Another example of him wanting to play cautiously for too long. Fine not to vacate your left back spot further upfield when someone else can exploit it, but there comes a point that you have to bite the bullet and, you know, stop someone scoring.

Because they are a bunch of plodders. It's been a massive issue for us for a while now.

Our midfield is easily bypassed on the counter attack because Romeu, Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse are slower than coastal erosion.

Throw in a centre back pairing that would get lapped in a 100m race and we're ripe for the picking from any side with a bit of pace. Our full backs aren't even particularly pacy.

With Djenepo and Adams, we've at least added a bit of speed up top, but that doesn't address all the other areas of deficiency.

Plenty of sides have slow centre backs, but they compensate by defending deep and compact. Tactical genius Hasenhuttl wants us to play an aggressive, pressing style with a high line - but he doesn't have the players for it. Once the opposition beat the slow moving press, five or six players are out of the game and don't have the legs to get back.

I think he's showing himself that be quite one dimensional as a coach. He hasn't adapted very well to the squad at his disposal, as opposed to the squad he wishes he had.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It’s important at PL level to have a strong black guy in midfield. All the best teams do. We’ve lacked that for a while.

Amazing. I was at the game last night and saw nothing at all wrong with JWP's performance. I guess it's easy from an armchair to see the easy forward passes. From where I sat in the stand it was hard work probing to find a way through.

I was at the game and I disagree. This season JWP has reverted back to type where he just stops affecting the game at all. No pace to get past people, even his mythical great dead ball deliveries don’t even find a red and white shirt. He had a shocker and played in 3 positions during the game and had a mare in all of them.

Agree with the above re: slow midfield - the amount of times this season I have noticed Hojbjerg / Romeu / JWP pressing the opposition and as they are so slow the oppo just pass through them and then are bearing down on our shambles of a defence with our midfield nowhere to be seen!

Squad still needs a big rebuild and we will be hoping to have 3 teams worse than us again this season. Roll on Tuesday, if we don’t have enough to beat a massively out of form p*mpey team, then I really will be worried. :lol:

Seeing the highlights, don't think I was right to think it was Romeu who didn't track the run from Wilson. However, he is very slow to sense the danger of Bournemouth mounting an attack and is quickly caught ahead of the ball, which should rarely be the case. The main culprit though, which surprised me having only seen the move from a different angle previously, was Cedric. He isn't marking anyone, he can see Wilson is unmarked, and then even points at him. Just go and mark him yourself ffs. Another example of him wanting to play cautiously for too long. Fine not to vacate your left back spot further upfield when someone else can exploit it, but there comes a point that you have to bite the bullet and, you know, stop someone scoring.

Yes, this was poor from Cedric. Same as the Man U goal. Shirking responsibility.

As a midfielder, it’s relatively easy to have game where people “don’t see much wrong”. You run around a lot, take the easy pass whenever offered and don’t make any silly tackles. 6/10, job done.

But that’s not good enough for the top level.

It was a good penalty but he also hit some poor shots over the bar that should have been on target.

So many shots beyond the goal. A famous manager once said, it is OK to shoot left or right, but not beyond. Because in this case the player shows he is anxious/coward at that moment and bends back his body ...

Yes, this was poor from Cedric. Same as the Man U goal. Shirking responsibility.

Nah, Cedric did everything right. He tells Vestergaard to challenge Wilson och tracks Solankes run to the far post. If Cedric challenges Wilson then Billing can just chip it to the far post for a simple tap in. Its not his fault others don't do their jobs.

It wasn't Cedric's fault. No one was marking a player. That's how zonal marking works. The fault in the end is with Ralph for coaching the defence to zonal mark.

Our goalscoring issues arise when the opertunity seem to be pressented to the wrong player ,who for whatever reason seems to loose composure at the wrong time ,or they choose the wrong

type of finishing technique. Its so frustrating that the few good ones we get are often wasted.

We were conned by Eddie Howe and RH contributed to that with the ridiculous team selection. Bournemouth were in damage limitation mode, win the ball and break quickly and try and get at our ponderous unbalanced defence. I'd like to meet the idiot that finally decided Vestergaard was the answer, We'd have loved playing against somebody so slow.

An accurate synopsis of the match. Vestergaarrd was a liability from the opening 3 minutes and continued to look out of his depth and panicked. He was awful. Danso, Ralph should have learned, is not a full back and couldn't look more uncomfortable in that position. It should have been Danso, Bednarey in the centre with Soares on the right and Bertrand on the left. Ings and Adams seem to simply lack the quality. Certainly the confidence. I had high hopes for Adams but, from what I have seen, I am torn between being patient and wanting to believe he will improve, confidence or not, or the realisation he just isn't PL quality. It's a shame we have lost Lemina as he is exactly what we need. Someone to break up the play like Romeu but also with the ability to surge forward, take players on and make incisive passes and create forward, attacking play. Something JWP rarely seems to do. Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo would really benefit hugely from that type of impetus.

I am hoping Ralph has learnt from this. I am beginning to wonder if Rohl was the brains of the set up (certainly for tactics and analysis - Ralph seems a good man manager). This match was lost in the first half due to a crazy line up of players played out of position and some whom started who shouldn't have. A poor day for Ralph. Bournemouth weren't all that and second half, we should have done them down the flanks. If Djenepo was playing, I think it would have been a different story once the full back debacle was rectified. Hoping we rectify this Tuesday as the Skates are truly dire.

I find it idiotic we sold Targett with no replacement or back up. Multi-tasking Danso to do so illustrates how naive, stupid and short-sighted the management have been. Negligent. IF Bertrand is injured, we have no adequate replacement and Soares is one footed and showed he can't adequately fill in. Soares can be decent going forwards on the right but isn't a crunching tackler or ball winner. Ralph was seemingly promised more but the management misled or didn't deliver or just took yet another high risk gamble. I think that's why Rohl walked. Cue the usual suspects (who run the club accounts) frothing at the mouth and abusing any poster daring to offer a critique of their beloved club with their inside knowledge that not a penny is spare in the transfer and wage budget and FFP prevents us doing anything despite clearing out a number of players. The Chinese like to make money but simply do not like to spend so blaming Reed was fair but also convenient.

Let's hope we sort the tactics and line up better Tuesday.

I think everyone agrees that we look utterly unbalanced without a recognised leftback (and right) playing and I if RH doesn’t see it then he is clearly needs a white stick.

I can only think that he has a longer term reason for a short term weakness in our side. Maybe he is sending a message to the squad that no one can feel comfortable in the team unless they are following his exact instructions.

Berty hasn’t looked the player of old for at least 18 months and maybe that’s due to motivation, desire, attitude or character. Showing him and the squad that he will favour players that offer the heart and fight above talent alone sets a message to the squad. Second half Berty looked more like the player we know he can be and maybe it’s needed some time out to show him that RH means business.

Look how he binned hoedt with no real second chance, how boufal seems to have transformed his attitude and how valery has been dropped for a improved attitude from Cedric.

Ultimately I think RH is building a team and takes no Shyte if your not in for the ride under his terms. Short term loss for long term gain.

The real mistake is letting Targett go without having anyone decent to push bertrand to excel.

In summary, i can see the issue but choose to believe RH sees it as well and is playing a longer game.

You may be over-egging Ralph's cake, another explanation as voiced by a growing number on here is that he isn't turning out to be a very good manager at this level.

You may be over-egging Ralph's cake, another explanation as voiced by a growing number on here is that he isn't turning out to be a very good manager at this level.
That is your opinion, but in the minority.

He made a mistake in the initial team but overall he is lot better than a lot around. He is getting to the end of his honeymoon period and needs to get a grip but the squad he has to work with!!!

I'm happy to judge Ralph's defence by Christmas, more game time for the young Danso and equally the further emergence of Bednarek. We need to go easy on Danso, I think Ralph played him out of position so as not to expose him just yet, it backfired but you can understand the reasoning. Give the lad a chance.

As for those turning on Ralph, get a grip.

If only we'd had the funds to buy Adam Webster, that looks money very well spent.

Back in the office today after a long weekend, where the majority supports Bournemouth, and some are so desperate to make little snide comments or be outright aggressive (I don't hide that I support Saints, but don't bang on about it either).

It's annoying loosing to them as I knew it would be used to enforce this non-existent rivalry we are supposed to have with them, that's been completely manufactured by Bournemouth fans, where all the Saints fans I know treat them as just another football team in the Premier League (and are impressed with how well they're doing without the resources of many other longer term Premier League teams).

Nah, Cedric did everything right. He tells Vestergaard to challenge Wilson och tracks Solankes run to the far post. If Cedric challenges Wilson then Billing can just chip it to the far post for a simple tap in. Its not his fault others don't do their jobs.

Cedric was the only one close enough to do anything. You need to step up sometimes and deal with the immediate threat.