Saints 1-3 Bournemouth - Reaction

Lighthouse

Scoreline doesn’t reflect the game. Didn’t deserve to lose, especially not 3-1 imo, but I suppose when you defend like that and waste that many chances, you won’t win many games..

Vestergaard is a shambles. Utter sh!te.

Not convinced by Gunn, at all.

Ralph has to take a lot of the blame.

Cedric good.

Romeu - class (other than the first goal)

Boufal decent

Utterly disgusting performance. I never want to see Vestergaard in a Saints shirt again. Cedric puts in a slightly better performance than usual and suddenly he's amazing despite said performance still just being average. Bertrand came on and did nothing and we wonder why Ralph doesn't like him, PEH and JWP were both diabolical.

Romeo, Boufal, Redmond all very good. Adams did okay but got no service.

If we smash P*mpey then I'll happily look back at this and laugh but for now, not good at all.

Infuriating. There are clear and repeated flaws in how we perform.

I don't believe we are in danger this season, but my goodness, there is such scope for improvement and for the first time Ralph must answer some difficult questions.

Which three teams do you think we'll finish well clear of?

I suspect we'll stay up but I doubt it'll be comfortable

Scoreline doesn’t reflect the game. Didn’t deserve to lose, especially not 3-1 imo, but I suppose when you defend like that and waste that many chances, you won’t win many games..

Cedric good.

Boufal decent

"We didn't deserve to lose" well they scored one and we scored three. So yes we did. That's literally how the game works. Do you claim that someone didn't deserve to win a game of Monpoly because you rolled more doubles?

Weird team selection, seemed like an egotistical decision by Ralph which is worrying. Second half better but too much to do.

McCarthy in goal from now on please.

to be fair hes been pretty decent apart from the howler tonight

Villa, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace and Watford all look worse than us right now. I agree with your second sentence but we aren’t one of the worst three teams in the league.

In short, we aren’t as bad as we were tonight and we aren’t as good as the team which has won three consecutive away games.

I'm going on instinct rather then logic here. But, I firmly believe we are better then: Villa, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Watford, Newcastle. I think we will be ok. Just, ok.

But, I want to see the major flaws in us addressed. Static defending and an unclinical shame that has cursed us since Koeman left.

Much better in the 2nd half when we played with a proper left back.

The first half was awful, but we wre much more of a team in the 2nd. Bad selection by Ralph.

Bournemouth took there chances in the 1st and then hung on in the second.

I hope the lesson has been learned that , just because you have picked up 7 points from 3 games without a left back does not mean that you would not have picked up 9 with Bertrand playing .

InstagramGK Gunn. Utter crap. ‘Learning mate, top GK’. Forster MK II

Vestergaard. Just why. Clearly awful and always has been.

Bertrand and Yoshida on bench. Why.

Stupid team selection and out of position players. Why.

Danish Prutton. Cr4p, always has been. Claps loads and pumps his first a lot, therefore top player. Apparently.

JWP, one of our own. Top player. Apparently.

Utterly avoidable loss.

Fair play to Boufal though, him and Redmond the only real bright sparks. Anyone who says Boufal doesn’t work hard is mental. Still, we’ll probably end up booing him soon for misplacing a pass.

Well that was spectacularly 1 star in just about every conceivable aspect wasn't it?

No excuse for that ludicrous defensive line up in the first half - how can you possibly justify starting with a cb at rb and an rb at lb with our only recognised lb on the bench. Ridiculous, but RH is owed massive amounts of slack from last season so let it go I suppose. As for the attack I think we have major problems. It's early days for Adams but he looks seriously OOHD. It's not early days for Ings and he looks........

Edited by stknowle

Manager had a shocker. Defensively disorganised to the point of negligence.

Whatever his problem with Bertrand is, he needs to be told to get over himself - his ego is only hurting us.

Horrific lack of quality going forward. Adams works hard but doesn't get into scoring positions.

Pedestrian midfield bypassed again and again on the counter attack - and we've got no other options but those three statues.

Still think this will be another grim season of scraping by. And if the manager's tactics and selections continue to be as erratic as they have been since Rohl left, we might not get away with it again.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The positives

If you are going to give away a comedy goal do it when you have lost and injury time is up.

Romeu & hojberg absolutely d9minated them.

Boufal scared them.

Bertrand looked good.

The bad

Vestergaard

Our shooting

Our strikers

Redmond brought back early and injured

The really bad

danso

Gunn for Wilson goal

The awful

Ralph. Fortunately he’s got a little credit in the bank as that was worse than our hopeless previous couple of managers in terms of set up. Made even worse when he sorted it at ht and we bossed large parts of the 2nd half

For me that was most important game of 3 coming up, a chance to set up a good season where we finish above them.

Better win the less important cup game against a poor league one side then as I don’t see us getting anything against spurs.

A lot of players get chastised here, and mostly unfairly. But wanna mention two players that go a bit under the radar

Ings- his cameo was okay and nearly set up a goal. But he always looks so... average. Has he ever really proven he is premier league quality? As far as I can see he's only had once decent season in the top flight for Burnley with 11 goals. Which is okay but even Ashley Barnes has managed that. And even those goals were boosted by a purple patch of 5 in 6. I strongly suspect he will be out on loan this time next year. I want it to work out but see no signs.

Hojberg- Runs around alot and beats his chest to make the fans purr. But sometimes I watch him closely and wonder what he actually does? He doesn't seem to win the ball back that much and his passing is atrocious. Even when he hits his man it is nearly always behind him. Not by much, but just that slight more that stifles the attack leaving the wide player needing to turn back in rather than hit the space. I feel he is the elephant in the room when it comes to our midfield. When he's on fire he's incredible. But that could go for many of our players and has so many down matches.

That said I'm not too bothered. We ain't going down but we ain't achieving anything either. Life as a middlish table club. No point stressing too much

Sent from my CPH1835 using Tapatalk

Bednarek very good- even at the end he was given no choice by Gunn. Midfield good at winning the ball back. Jwp could have had a hat trick. Boufal very good, rarely wasted the ball, decent efforts on goal. Ludicrous defensive line up first half. Adams could do with resting. Gunn weak. Vest gash. Bournemouth just more clinical than us, not much between the sides

Cedric good.

Boufal decent

Top GK mate. Got designer stubble.

That is all on Ralph for his baffling starting lineup. It was the same last week at Sheff Utd, but lucky for us their attacking players are terrible.

Bertrand is the best defender in the squad. If he's fit enough to play an entire half then why isn't he on from t he start?

Yoshida is the best CB in the squad, but despite playing really well last week he gets left out in favour of our worst player on the pitch at Bramall Lane. With the pace of the Bournemouth attackers, that was never going to end well.

I'll cut Danso some slack because it seems he hasn't even been allowed to play a single half in one position yet, but he was woeful at RB. How the hell did it take 45 minutes and a 2-goal deficit (lucky it wasn't 3) for Ralph to identify that.

We won the ball in their half very well and dominated the possession, but sadly every one of our decent chances fell to JWP who seems to be utterly incapable of hitting a moving ball properly.

Boufal had a couple of decent long range efforts but couldn't get either of them far enough away from the keeper. Our best player tonight by far.

As for that gift at the end. Gunn needs to have a word with himself after that. Woeful.

I want to give credit at least two players. Boufal is a man reborn, work-rate of a player unbecoming of this defense fearless when taking on and totally committed to winning things back. Romeu also did his shift superbly, he is not in there to score or be the last line... Frankly, he should not have been given responsibility to mark their best threat from a set piece, he is there to break things up and he did that. The team around them however?