Pompey vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Only a total slaughter of Pompey on Tuesday will save our manager and our underinvesting owner and boardroom from ridicule this season. Tuesday is the most important game of the season - unless we end up in the relegation contenders- a good chance.
Of all the ridiculous comments on this thread this one wins the prize. You need to get real and find a sense of proportion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I reckon we'll see Ings start, prob keep the midfield of Romeu, Hoj, Prowse.

Yoshida at the back though I reckon. McCarthy in goal is a given (he palys the cup games).

Not sure about wide area's. Don't think Redmond looked fit enough on Friday, and Moussa prob won't make it.

Strangely it’s probably the best and also the worst time to play them. Best time as they are terrible, we really will never get a better chance to win at their place. Worst time because we are such ridiculous favourites anything other than a convincing win for us will be seen as a triumph by them. A defeat is unthinkable and we will never live it down. As others have said we’ve got previous when it comes to losing against lower league teams in cups when we should win. Oldham, Fulham, port vale, Tranmere, Sheffield United, Stockport the list goes on.

I expect some players to be rested for this one, I can’t see Ralph going full strength. Yes it’s Skatesmouth but it’s still the League Cup and the League is more important. Ralph will still field a strongish squad as he’ll know what’s at stake, but it won’t be full strength. I expect squad players to come in. (Which should still be enough to beat Them who, after a quick look at the League One table, aren’t doing as well as is thought they were!) Besides which they’ll be out to kick the crap out of our players so we want to protect the more important ones like Bednarek, Romeu, Boufal etc. Redmond I’d play as he needs fitness.

McCarthy

Stephens

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Bertrand (or even Vokins if whatever is going on with Bertrand is ongoing)

Armstrong

Redmond

Long (Yep, should badger their defence nicely. Hat trick of penalties for JWP.)

subs: Gunn, Danso, Cedric, Slattery, Djenepo or Boufal, Ings, Adams

It won’t be this exactly, but something related in strength IMO.

I expect some players to be rested for this one, I can’t see Ralph going full strength. Yes it’s Skatesmouth but it’s still the League Cup and the League is more important. Ralph will still field a strongish squad as he’ll know what’s at stake, but it won’t be full strength. I expect squad players to come in. (Which should still be enough to beat Them who, after a quick look at the League One table, aren’t doing as well as is thought they were!) Besides which they’ll be out to kick the crap out of our players so we want to protect the more important ones like Bednarek, Romeu, Boufal etc. Redmond I’d play as he needs fitness.

McCarthy

Stephens

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond

No. No and No

McCarthy

Stephens

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond

**** no. You can’t rest anyone for this game. For me it’s the biggest game since Swansea away under Hughes.

McCarthy

Stephens

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Valery

JWP

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond

Yeah, you don't get it.

Plus, he's literally said he's going full strength. We went strong in the last round v Fulham which is a clear indication we're going to take the cup games seriously so why we would suddenly make loads of changes for the first game against our biggest rivals for 7 years?

Whoever we pick from a Premier League squad will have more technical quality than they will. And so I would therefore go with the most physically robust/tallest team as the most realistic reasons for us losing would be to bottle the atmosphere/physicality and/or fail to deal with aerial battle or set pieces. So would go for:

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Danso

Bertrand

Hoj

Romeu

Adams

Long

Ings

3-4-3

Whoever we pick from a Premier League squad will have more technical quality than they will. And so I would therefore go with the most physically robust/tallest team as the most realistic reasons for us losing would be to bottle the atmosphere/physicality and/or fail to deal with aerial battle or set pieces. So would go for:

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Danso

Bertrand

Hoj

Romeu

Adams

Long

Ings

3-4-3

Pompey have one tactic, which is to try to get an opposition player sent off early in the game, then hang on for a draw. There are a phenomenal number of red cards in their games. So, the secret is NOT to get dragged into a physical game. We need our fastest and most skilful players for this one. I generally like the look of your team. Vestergaard and Ward-Prowse will not be suited to this game. In fact, I could see Ward-Prowse getting a red card early in the game if he plays. The experienced Cedric might be better than Valery as it's the wing-backs who get it most from the crowd.

It is true though that the European winning Cedric, ex Bayern midfielder PEH, World Cup captaining Yoshida, recent England internationals JWP & Redmond, Champions League winning Bertrand and ex Barca and Chelsea midfielder Romeu will be having sleepless nights over the raucous Fratton atmosphere.

Why would we want a Skate playing against them? Hardly going to try his hardest is he.
That really is ridiculous. He's a professional footballer whose entire career has been at Saints.

If you really think he'd be influenced in the slightest by the fact he was born in Portsmouth, you're utterly deluded.

The only reason to worry about playing him is the disgusting treatment he'll no doubt get from their moronic so-called fans. But he's more than capable of ignoring that.

Edited by Shroppie

Same reason for them having a first choice keeper who has half his family from Southampton.
Not really the same. He’s Scottish. He wasn’t born here and he certainly wasn’t a season ticket holder like JWP.

If he wants to let a few in he’s more than welcome to though.

Saints fans are kidding themselves if they think JWP doesn’t support the skates any more just because he gets paid to play for us.

Not really the same. He’s Scottish. He wasn’t born here and he certainly wasn’t a season ticket holder like JWP.

Saints fans are kidding themselves if they think JWP doesn’t support the skates any more just because he gets paid to play for us.

Evidence? Totally deluded. You really think that "supporting" the Skates would override his loyalty to Saints and professional reputation as a player?

Edited by Shroppie

Jesus wept.

Evidence? Totally deluded. You really think that "supporting" the Skates would override his loyalty to Saints and professional reputation as a player?

”reputation as a player” :lol:

I didn’t say he was going to start scoring own goals ffs.

Weather warning for heavy rain issued for the south of England on Tuesday, if the game is still on it could turn the pitch into a lottery, those sort of conditions help the underdog.

Their pitch is a bit notorious for waterlogging but I can't see it being postponed unless the decision could be made very early, they can control crowds to an extent if they're inside the ground with controlled movement of rivals before and after but if it was called off late they'll be thousands of fans milling around all over. It's also being billed as the most expensive Police operation in Hampshire, they won't want to be doing it twice.

McCarthy

Cedric

Bednerak

Vestergaard (Although he’s awful, they haven’t got the up the top to get in behind, and I feel like his height will be vital in helping with the long ball)

Bertrand

PEH

Romeu

JWP

Redmond

Adams

Boufal

Comfortable 3-0 win. I just can’t see a way that they can beat us.

McCarthy

Cedric

Bednerak

Vestergaard (Although he’s awful, they haven’t got the up the top to get in behind, and I feel like his height will be vital in helping with the long ball)

Bertrand

PEH

Romeu

JWP

Redmond

Adams

Boufal

Comfortable 3-0 win. I just can’t see a way that they can beat us.

I reckon we'll see Ings start, prob keep the midfield of Romeu, Hoj, Prowse.

Yoshida at the back though I reckon. McCarthy in goal is a given (he palys the cup games).

Not sure about wide area's. Don't think Redmond looked fit enough on Friday, and Moussa prob won't make it.

So you don't reckon he'll play a weakened side?