Pompey vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

McCarthy

Cedric

Bednerak

Vestergaard (Although he’s awful, they haven’t got the up the top to get in behind, and I feel like his height will be vital in helping with the long ball)

Bertrand

PEH

Romeu

JWP

Redmond

Adams

Boufal

Comfortable 3-0 win. I just can’t see a way that they can beat us.

has to be this team, assuming all fit enough.

Weather warning for heavy rain issued for the south of England on Tuesday, if the game is still on it could turn the pitch into a lottery, those sort of conditions help the underdog.

Only looks bad for the morning, should be dried up by 4pm by all accounts.

If Ralph picks what he considers to be his strongest available side, I'd expect it to be:

4-2-2-2

----------------McCarthy---------------

Cedric--Bednarek--Vestergaard--Bertrand

-------Hojbjerg-------Romeu------------

----JWP----------------------Boufal----

----------Ings---------Adams----------

Subs:

Gunn, Yoshida, Danso, Armstrong, Redmond (?), Long, Obafemi

Not sure if Redmond will even be on the bench if he needs to rest his ankle. It'd be typical if he tries to do too much too soon and tears a ligament.

I've seen their highlights from their last few games (just for a laugh) and they're absolutely terrible, way way worse than our league 1 side was when we played their prem side. In fact if it was our league 1 side vs their side now we'd be saying it's got to be decent win.

Keep our heads and we should be fine.

The 1st goal will be key, we get an early one and it will be a cricket score, if we let them get one we will be in for a game. An early goal or two and the worlds greatest who never ever turn on their players or manager will turn on their players and manager

That's right - they definitely weren't chanting 'We want Jackett out' after their game at Wycombe on Saturday. ;)

We have to put out our strongest team possible for this one. And play them in their correct positions ie LB.

Worse case scenario is we put out an inexperienced side or a non balanced side. Need to be positive and go for them from the off. I got a feeling this will be the game Adams comes good and destroys them.

Given our inability to score more than 1 in all but one game, and that one coming against 10 men, I'd doubt there'll be any cricket score. We're in for a game right through. Imagine we'll scrape a 1-0 win which won't be anything to shout about to be honest. Pompey are rubbish, that league looks rubbish this season. But I can just see us missing a hatful of chances as usual and being prone to mistakes at the back.

If he picks Stephens then I'll panic.

Or Vestegaard

Things that might happen...

Boufal makes several of them look silly - there is little end product, but four of them get booked for fouling him.

Prowsie charges around like a demented rhino and gets assaulted every time he takes a corner.

Romeu dines on raw meat before the match and has to be subbed before he's sent off.

Someone unlikely has a life-changing moment and writes themselves into folklore with a goal and celebration in front of the Fratton End - Stephens, Yoshida, Vestergaard perhaps?

10,000 Saints fans claim they were there, in ten years time.

It's a dull uninspiring 2-0 away win.

There is no possible scenario where a 2-0 away win would be dull or uninspiring.

Completely agree with LGTL , proper buzz for this one like no other game, stepping off the train at Fratton to make our way to the ground will be unlike anything else we’ve had for years.

I've seen their highlights from their last few games (just for a laugh) and they're absolutely terrible, way way worse than our league 1 side was when we played their prem side. In fact if it was our league 1 side vs their side now we'd be saying it's got to be decent win.

Keep our heads and we should be fine.

That sounds promising. COYS!!!

Heresy: 3 points on Saturday is more important. There. I said it.
To those with no emotional attachment to the club, this, no matter how unpopular amongst fans, is probably true.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

Not that it should matter, but any significant team news from the Skates? Are they going to be without any ‘key’ players?

Guaranteed they won’t look after the pitch and the ref / police won’t allow the game to be called off due to SKY and cost of the operation, we’ll end up playing on a bog.

Not that it should matter, but any significant team news from the Skates? Are they going to be without any ‘key’ players?

Guaranteed they won’t look after the pitch and the ref / police won’t allow the game to be called off due to SKY and cost of the operation, we’ll end up playing on a bog.

Their captain has a late fitness test apparently. Whoever that is! And they’re without some guy who was sent off at the weekend.

Anyone travelling down by train from London? Likelihood of getting the last train back or are they going to force us on the train to soton? OB are very quiet.

Doesn’t really answer your Q but.....

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17920036.police-will-launch-biggest-ever-football-related-operation-saints-take-pompey-tomorrow/

Actually maybe not, I've read up on it.

If it was held at our Premier League stadium then VAR would be used.

But I doubt that they have installed all the necessary equipment at that lower league pi ss-ridden cesspit.

They won’t even have goal line technology. Nottarf Krap probably has less tech than HMS victory.

HMS Victory and the Dockyard are interesting historical monuments. Historians should also find Fratton Park interesting tomorrow.

I was talking to somebody only this morning who works down the naval dockyard. When he moved down there he was absolutely appalled at the attitudes, the cavalier approach to safety and the appalling working practices. That probably sums up tomorrow evening!

Anyone travelling down by train from London? Likelihood of getting the last train back or are they going to force us on the train to soton? OB are very quiet.

Train from London is my preference but we’ve decided the risk is too great of being herded onto the Southampton train or otherwise missing the train back to London so we’re driving to Southampton and getting the train from there.

Wish I hadn’t looked that up. It’s Kevin f*cking Friend.

Kevin Friend, who reffed our 2-0 win at Brighton this season and gave one of their players a red card. Last season he reffed our 2-1 win v Spurs and 2-2 draw with Man Utd and the season before that our 4-1 win v Everton and draws v Spurs and Newcastle.

The last games he reffed Pompey, they lost 0-1 at home to West Ham and he gave a Pompey player a red card, 0-2 away to Reading, 1-2 away to Forest, 0-2 away to Spurs and 0-1 away to Stoke. The only time they managed a draw was at home to Sunderland when he gave a red card to a Pompey player in the 9th minute. They've never won a game when he's been the referee.

Really wet overnight.

Pitch will not be in great condition, if playable.....

Their pitch is a bit notorious for waterlogging but I can't see it being postponed unless the decision could be made very early, they can control crowds to an extent if they're inside the ground with controlled movement of rivals before and after but if it was called off late they'll be thousands of fans milling around all over. It's also being billed as the most expensive Police operation in Hampshire, they won't want to be doing it twice.

For these reasons I don't think it would be postponed, if there's any real chance, it would need to be called off by lunchtime.