Rape and the Law

sadoldgit

I was going to post this as an interesting post script on the Ched Evans thread, but as it has been closed I have started a new thread. A story about the Chanel Miller v Brock Turner rape case appeared on my news thread today. I won’t go into the full details but if you aren’t aware of the case, he was found guilty of rape having taken advantage of her when she was drunk. As a result of this case Californian law has now changed. If you are convicted of sexual penetration with a women who is either unconscious or incapacitated by alcohol you will get a minimum sentence of 3 years in prison.

I was going to post this as an interesting post script on the Ched Evans thread, but as it has been closed I have started a new thread. A story about the Chanel Miller v Brock Turner rape case appeared on my news thread today. I won’t go into the full details but if you aren’t aware of the case, he was found guilty of rape having taken advantage of her when she was drunk. As a result of this case Californian law has now changed. If you are convicted of sexual penetration with a women who is either unconscious or incapacitated by alcohol you will get a minimum sentence of 3 years in prison.

And rightly so - that is rape in this country too.

yeah, you really have to pick the right moment if you feel a bit rapey.

I thought this was going to be a take about the recent case of the guy who was convicted of rape after a woman consented to sex with him but he lied about having a vasectomy, which would be an actual contentious point.

Or maybe about the fact that (somehow) women still can't be convicted of rape by the definition of the law.

Those would actually be interesting topics for debate - what you brought up is just weird and frankly a little disturbing.

I thought this was going to be a take about the recent case of the guy who was convicted of rape after a woman consented to sex with him but he lied about having a vasectomy, which would be an actual contentious point.

Or maybe about the fact that (somehow) women still can't be convicted of rape by the definition of the law.

Those would actually be interesting topics for debate - what you brought up is just weird and frankly a little disturbing.

You raise a good point and there is no reason why we can’t discuss the issue about lying about a vasectomy. Why is the point I brought up weird and disturbing? It follows the truncated discussion about the Evans case. Given that a number thought that Evans was hard done by surely it was and is worth discussing the whole consent thing?

You raise a good point and there is no reason why we can’t discuss the issue about lying about a vasectomy. Why is the point I brought up weird and disturbing? It follows the truncated discussion about the Evans case. Given that a number thought that Evans was hard done by surely it was and is worth discussing the whole consent thing?

"Hard done by". What, the guy that had his conviction quashed after spending 2 and a half years in prison? That guy?

Evans was/is innocent BTW. Not hard done by

People didn't call Ched Evans "hard done by" they were challenging you continuing to refer to him as a rapist and suggesting his acquittal was dodgy after he was found not guilty.

They were then pointing out your hypocrisy given your stance on Boycott.

There was absolutely no evidence that the girl was either unconscious or incapacitated, so the above judgement is irrelevant to the Evans case. Just because someone can't remember what happened, does not point to either of the above.

It's amazing how you will defend convicted woman beaters, but will attack innocent rapists. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere at what you think is acceptable in life I suppose.

What's to "discuss about the whole consent thing"? Do you have a particular point from a particular case that you have an opinion on, and want to canvass opinion on? As has been said, another odd thread.

What's to "discuss about the whole consent thing"? Do you have a particular point from a particular case that you have an opinion on, and want to canvass opinion on? As has been said, another odd thread.

What isn’t there to discuss about the issue of consent? Rape and sexual assault is a major problem world wide. Getting a successful rape prosecution through the court is so difficult that many victims don’t even bother. It would be odd if it was not discussed. If men can’t agree on what constitutes “rape” we are never going to make the world safer for the victims. My point, as always, is that women are not fair game and the law needs to do more to protect them from sexual predators. If you that is odd or weird, that is your issue.

"Hard done by". What, the guy that had his conviction quashed after spending 2 and a half years in prison? That guy?

That guy who senior prosecutors still believe committed rape. The guy who was convicted in his first trial. The guy whose fiancés family put up a large sum of money for witnesses to come forward and which witnesses, the prosecution believe, were coached to provide evidence that changed the second trial. By hard done by I meant being charged for rape in the first place.

That guy who senior prosecutors still believe committed rape. The guy who was convicted in his first trial. The guy whose fiancés family put up a large sum of money for witnesses to come forward and which witnesses, the prosecution believe, were coached to provide evidence that changed the second trial. By hard done by I meant being charged for rape in the first place.

So what do you think should happen - he should spend another 6 months in prison?

I bet all the other 2nd men who were with her THAT WEEK are nervous as **** at the moment - or will the prosecutors not go after them because they're not footballers?

The original thread was closed because things were getting rather unpleasant and resorting to personal insults. Evans was (eventually) found not guilty by a jury who examined all the evidence thoroughly and any witnesses will have been fully crossed checked by the Police to ensure their credibility. If you feel differently from the official verdict, that's pure speculation and doesn't belong in the public domain.

This bizarre need to talk about rape doesn't belong on a football forum and the personal jibes keep spilling onto other threads. Please leave it be and start some threads about shiny pebbles or ski jumping.