Pompey 0-4 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

@joemichalczuk

5. And finally - Enjoy your evening #SaintsFC - always good to stick one over us, especially when it’s such a rare feeling - but you’ll always be in #Pompey shadow (we can have a chat about that point if you ever win another FA Cup and 2 Premier League titles ��)

:scared:

latest?cb=20190503214241

During the war...

@joemichalczuk

5. And finally - Enjoy your evening #SaintsFC - always good to stick one over us, especially when it’s such a rare feeling - but you’ll always be in #Pompey shadow (we can have a chat about that point if you ever win another FA Cup and 2 Premier League titles )

Joe Meclutchbroke has a rare gift of being far, far more unpopular with his own fans than he could ever be with us. He’s like the Pompey version of Delldays.

Don't agree. Lad is still learning made some runs and kept skates defence busy. Yes he needs a goal but he will score soon and then his confidence will surge through and form will improve. With Ings scoring now it may help Che by taking pressure off of him.

Delighted with result and for some reason my skate neighbour that brought me home from hospital yesterday to save me waiting 4 hours for ambulance hasn't been sending his usual texts about SUPER SAINTS.

He kept a league one defence busy...forgive me if I'm not impressed by that.

Ings has struggled at premier League level but still looked far too good for Pompey.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeh its confidence, heard Merson and a few of the Soccer saturday guys talking about it a few weeks ago, not specifically about Adams, but saying how fans just didn't really get how important it can be to a player.

We saw it with Ings towards the end of last season too. Taking too long to take a shot, or trying to get it onto his favoured foot etc, when a confident player just does it without thinking about it.

Given that one of the things that made Adams look great from his time at Birmingham was his tendency to take shots early, you can see why a slight hesitance could be so detrimental.

He kept a league one defence busy...forgive me if I'm not impressed by that.

Ings has struggled at premier League level but still looked far too good for Pompey.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

not sure why you have to diss players so soon and especially when still young enough to do lots of improving. Ings is fully experienced but tonight was special for him as Winchester born Saints fan. If he hadn't had such injuries he may still have been at Liverpool or would have moved for much more than we paid. I see in Che a wil;ling boy trying to hard. He may well end up scoring with a fluke that starts him running rings round other teams.

Still annoyed about losing the other derby to Bournemouth. LOL.

Those first 15/20 minutes were trying to say the least, thank goodness McCarthy & Bednarek were on hand to save our bacon. Thought Cedric was good - his tendency to stand off wingers to the extent they can pick out a cross without pressure annoys me, but he cut out the danger a few times and generally played well. I like that he only scores goals from the left hand side of the penalty box despite being a right back. Yoshida and Bednarek always seem to play well alongside each other, and were always in the right place today. Bertrand did ok but thought he missed having Redmond or Boufal ahead of him, where he has a bit more of an understanding.

Romeu and JWP were excellent in the middle. Hojbjerg does some things really well and others poorly. One minute he's making a great interception and bringing the ball out of defence, the next he's underhitting or misplacing a simple pass.

Thought Obafemi's pass to Ings was sublime but that aside he was pretty poor - seems to make the wrong decisions about when to pass and when to keep the ball. Control isn't great either. He's basically Shane Long... Adams was poor, was frustrating but also felt for him a bit - even 50/50s didn't fall his way, which is always the way when you're struggling. Felt he went to ground a bit easily at times though, almost out of desperation. Ings was generally pretty good and his touch of class for his finishes meant he deserved MOTM.

Funny that today - not for the first time this season - we looked poor and then were clinical when we finally got a chance, yet in games where we have started well we have invariably conceded from nowhere (Liverpool, Man Utd, Bournemouth).

4-0 is such a satisfying result because it is better than they managed against us when the tables were turned, except we at least got to celebrate an equaliser. They got to celebrate NOTHING. My only regret is that I was periodically reading the match thread on here and whenever I did I saw hints that we were about to score... took the edge of it a little bit when it finally played out on my delayed stream!

@joemichalczuk

5. And finally - Enjoy your evening #SaintsFC - always good to stick one over us, especially when it’s such a rare feeling - but you’ll always be in #Pompey shadow (we can have a chat about that point if you ever win another FA Cup and 2 Premier League titles ��)

He's shot himself in the foot there: Pompey finished 8th in the Premier League once. That's all.

Still annoyed about losing the other derby to Bournemouth. LOL.

Those first 15/20 minutes were trying to say the least, thank goodness McCarthy & Bednarek were on hand to save our bacon. Thought Cedric was good - his tendency to stand off wingers to the extent they can pick out a cross without pressure annoys me, but he cut out the danger a few times and generally played well. I like that he only scores goals from the left hand side of the penalty box despite being a right back. Yoshida and Bednarek always seem to play well alongside each other, and were always in the right place today. Bertrand did ok but thought he missed having Redmond or Boufal ahead of him, where he has a bit more of an understanding.

Romeu and JWP were excellent in the middle. Hojbjerg does some things really well and others poorly. One minute he's making a great interception and bringing the ball out of defence, the next he's underhitting or misplacing a simple pass.

Thought Obafemi's pass to Ings was sublime but that aside he was pretty poor - seems to make the wrong decisions about when to pass and when to keep the ball. Control isn't great either. He's basically Shane Long... Adams was poor, was frustrating but also felt for him a bit - even 50/50s didn't fall his way, which is always the way when you're struggling. Felt he went to ground a bit easily at times though, almost out of desperation. Ings was generally pretty good and his touch of class for his finishes meant he deserved MOTM.

Funny that today - not for the first time this season - we looked poor and then were clinical when we finally got a chance, yet in games where we have started well we have invariably conceded from nowhere (Liverpool, Man Utd, Bournemouth).

4-0 is such a satisfying result because it is better than they managed against us when the tables were turned, except we at least got to celebrate an equaliser. They got to celebrate NOTHING. My only regret is that I was periodically reading the match thread on here and whenever I did I saw hints that we were about to score... took the edge of it a little bit when it finally played out on my delayed stream!

Have to disagree about Obafemi. I thought he had a good game and some very neat close control. I would have him in ahead of Adam's (at least until he gets injured again).

Edited by Dark Munster

@joemichalczuk

5. And finally - Enjoy your evening #SaintsFC - always good to stick one over us, especially when it’s such a rare feeling - but you’ll always be in #Pompey shadow (we can have a chat about that point if you ever win another FA Cup and 2 Premier League titles )

Not the same club though, is it.

I thought we managed that well. They huffed early doors and we defended what they threw at us, not always convincingly but defend it we did. After that they puffed a lot and we controlled play.

Great goals and play from Ings today. Midfield was solid and a little niggly which was nice to see. That back 4 is the one to stick with for me.

Don’t think Adams deserves any stick. Once again he’s put in a 90 minute shift, keeps running and trying to the end and played an immaculate through ball for Ings in the first half that should have seen a goal from him or Hoj on the rebound. He’s got the potential and it’ll come.

Fantastic win and hope it gives us something to build on in terms of results and confidence.

Pleased with that, for me it was the 4-1 loss in the FA Cup in 2010 that I wanted retribution for when the situation of both clubs was similar to how it was tonight, just with the roles reversed, and the 4-0 win today goes one better than they achieved then. We didn't even achieve 5th gear, and the quality still showed through. They were fricking knackered by the end and it looked like we could score from every attack.

My ratings:

McCarthy - 7 - Made a decent save, fisted away a couple of corners, and with Bednarek's assistance stopped a goal line tap in. Was nearly beaten by the shot that hit the post, but all in all, a safe pair of hands. It's tough to decide who I'd choose over him and Gunn presently, possibly McCarthy who does the simple things well.

Cedric - 8 - Very good, defensively dealt with things and found time to get forward. Sometimes lacks anticipation but sometimes makes runs and nobody picks up on it. Well taken goal!

Bednarek - 7 - Did well considering the conditions and made a decent clearing off the line by poking it back to McCarthy which could easily have been an own goal.

Yoshida - 8 - Really got stuck in and drifted across to the left when needed. How he isn't getting picked in the league I'll never know. Lucky not to get booked and got some cheeky challenges in after being savagely assaulted by the Skate player.

Bertrand - 6 - Nothing special, it's nice to have a left back playing at left back again, got forward when he could. Does he need match fitness? Unlucky to have been booked.

Hojbjerg - 6 - Same for all the midfielders, I thought their passing was off at times, and put us under pressure. Hojbjerg grew into the game in the second half but wasn't great in the first half.

Romeu - 7 - Was always an outlet from defence. Some iffy passing but he was better than Hojbjerg.

JWP - 6 - Largely anonymous in the first half but I think he improved with some incisive passing in the second.

Obafemi - 7 - Tried hard in the first half but was often battered by Skate players. I liked the way he got back and defended too, at one point calmly toeing the ball away from a Skate player. A great through ball for the Ings goal shows that the young lad does have quality but he's not really a wide forward.

Ings - 9 - what else can be said, showed Premier League quality when it mattered. Was everywhere, accurate passing (at one point he made a lovely cross field ball to Cedric), accurate shooting and full of running. If this is what a fully fit Ings is like, he needs to play over Adams. Imagine him up front with Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo behind... :poundit:

Adams - 5 - I don't want him to be the whipping boy, and he was far from awful, but nothing was coming off for him tonight. It's almost as if he tries too hard. Good for Ralph for keeping him on until the end to see if he could score, but with Ings showing form, he might have a wait for his first goal.

subs: Redmond - 7 - does what Redmond does, showed direct running and scored. Made a few iffy decisions right at the end though, but I'm glad he's back after injury, especially if Djenepo is out for a while.

Long - 6 - one long range shot aside, I didn't see him do much, but was obviously brought on to scare their tired legs.

Ralph - 8 - obviously understood the importance of the game, although on paper I was surprised his team had 3 strikers and no attacking midfielders at the start, not that it ultimately mattered. Also thought he could have used the third sub, but aside from that, got the result we all wanted.

I'm sure the Skates will be all like "look at you tossers celebrating by beating a League One team" but they did exactly the same to us in 2010, and we can enjoy every minute of this. It may be a loooooong time before we play them again!

Knock Knock! Who's there? Nilfer. Nilfer who? Nilfer Pompey, four for Saints! (I shall henceforth leave joke creation to everyone else.)

Thanks lads - just made my season! Really glad it hammered down with rain as it will have washed a few of those 6 fingered Pikeys all along the touchline. Never seen an uglier bunch of thick morons in my life. Like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle show. I suppose Portsmouth is the logical spot for the dregs of a gene pool made up of pressed men on shore leave and fishy whores. 4-0. Best ever win down there. Hope it stings like hell for years to come.

Thanks lads - just made my season! Really glad it hammered down with rain as it will have washed a few of those 6 fingered Pikeys all along the touchline. Never seen an uglier bunch of thick morons in my life. Like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle show. I suppose Portsmouth is the logical spot for the dregs of a gene pool made up of pressed men on shore leave and fishy whores. 4-0. Best ever win down there. Hope it stings like hell for years to come.

Holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle Show - that made me laugh.

That was a bit good.

Don't have much voice left. Feel absolutely shattered because I barely slept due to the adrenaline still pumping. The celebrations for the first goal were up there with Long at Anfield and Gabbiadini at Swansea.

Couldn't care less that we're 2 leagues above them or that they were still singing at the end. Let their fans blabber on about that all they want. Still got stuffed in their own backyard.

That was ****ing brilliant. I'm not going to dissect the performance as it really didn't matter. The score was the most important part of this game. We played well against them up to a point when they done us 4-1 but nobody cares. All you hear about is the scoreline.

Danny Ings has written himself into saints legend. Born in Southampton and scores 2 goals away from home against them in the fratton end. Brilliant stuff.

The 4-1 digs are now done and gone. They will have to fall back on their two league titles when the world had just had a war and their FA cup that cost them their club. :lol:

Top notch all round, ended up in town until 2am after the train back, everyone buzzing, it’s what it’s all about.

Will be a few sore heads this morning.

Great result, thought we never really got going either, 4 away wins in a row without conceding, is that a club record?

Some on here should stop picking the bones out of any player who they felt didn't quite meet their high standards and just enjoy stuffing the moment. 4 in their backyard with no reply, wipes out 2010.

Rename Thornhill to Four-nil, the campaign starts here.

That's how people from there pronounce it anyway

@joemichalczuk

I trust this dumb skate realises, that Portsmouth community football club, has only existed since 2013, and have won zilch!

Forget the football, what’s more important is Glasgow Saint, did anyone get a photo of him cheering the lads on, or did he go and watch Everton in Sheffield, or was he doing some online betting...........anyone?

I did see a really fat bloke which could have been him. He looked a bit unhappy as if his insurance bets had all just lost.

Ings was so sharp last night and great to see the professionalism in the players not getting intimidated by the crowd specially JWP and Cedric. Adams desperately needs a goal as he tried hard last night but could not get in the game. I slept sweetly.

That a Saints fan with his thumbs up?

Brave if it is!

Home and away disabled supporters are positioned at the front of the Frattonend as nottarfkrap doesn't have facilities in the away end. So I am guessing yes.

Two legends in that image.

I watched the game on Sky and was disappointed that Danny Higginbottom didnt say anything good about our club but also praised them to the highest degree.

As for the game as Isaw it. I felt that Obefemi , Hoj wilted under the atmosphere.

Cedric, Yoshida Bednarek and the brilliant Ings thrived on it and were very good on the noght. Romeau was middle ground as was JWP although you could tell he really wanted it.

Mc Carthy made a couple of decent sves but didnt command the box to take the pressure off our defence.

I didnt really know any of their players but I thought Williams was a constant threat, and he was the best they had. Their forwards were poor although Marquis did do that snap shot that caught Mcarthy napping. (dirty elbow that hopefully gets picked up by the authorities)Curtis I had heard good stories about but I couldn't see him really stepping up the leagues at present.

Their fans gave the usual abuse and created quite a lot of noise but quietened for long spells as the game went on.

All in all Ings was the one who stood up and gave the rest of the team the confidence

Really enjoyed the game bar the first few mins. Great to tick a trip to fratton park off the list.

Players started a little nervy possibly due to the fact that RH didn't announce his team until they'd arrived at the stadium.

JWP got coined. So that will be dealt with.

A very slick operation by the OB. Hats off to them for that.

Think RH might have found his back 5?

Oba one for the future. Cannot believe how good redmond is now.

Redmond was very good when he came on. He was quick, direct and such a threat. His goal was excellent. What a player he has become under Ralph