Pompey 0-4 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Great result that will live long in the memory.

Solent laying on the Portsmyth thick in the after match chat though ...great fans still singing even at 4-0 down blah blah.. 5 million pound team Vs 250 million team Yadda Yadda. In a few years I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we lost this game..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Had to weather an expected strong start, especially in blustery conditions with the win behind them but rode it pretty well and then just dominated the game.

Thought aside from Ings obviously, that Cedric, Yoshida and Romeu were all very good, experienced showed there.

Adams desperately needs a goal, you can see how hard he is trying, almost too much at times but the touch and movement is not quite there because he needs the confidence.

Ings has to start next week surely, looks like the dropping gave him the kick up the behind that he needed, excellent work rate and movement.

Also good to see Redmond get a goal as well which will help his confidence after coming back from injury.

Overall an almost perfect night, would have loved Adams to get one as well to be the cherry but it was overall excellent and gives bragging rights for a while.

Perfect result.

Quite humorous how much Sky dialled down the microphones all game. So much vitriol from the Pompey mutants and barely a thing got through, just a gentle nerring sound and a distant OWTS. Tepid background noise from all sides of the ground all the way through. And at the final whistle they turned off sound altogether at our end.

Did the job - look at Spurs at Colchester to see how it could have gone wrong so credit to the lads. They were always going to start strongly and then fade, Ings clinical and best player on pitch. Cedric, Romeu, JWP, Yoshi and Obafemi did well. Pity Adams didn’t break his duck. Redmond showed his quality when coming on.

Not sure after that drubbing that the skates will even be bothered to smash up/improve their surroundings.

Great result. Winning by 4 clear goals away from home in a local derby is something few teams have done, including little pompey, who probably never will.

A Saints fan, Danny Ings, scoring 2 of the goals goals brings back memories of another Saints fan, Steve Moran, scoring at Fratton Park.

Credit to Ward-Prowse who was clearly chuffed to bits with the result in his post-match interview and who said he will be "celebrating on the way home". Man of the Match should be shared by Yoshida and Ings, who, whatever else happens, will always be Saints legends after this.

We did ok, they were awful.

Good to see our boys up for it. WTFILN?

That’s just not true is it. They were not awful at all, in fact, they surprised me. Great work rate and made a good fist of it, we just showed much more class in front of goal (for once).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My MotM was Bednarek. Best CB in the club even though Maya did a really good job tonight. Bednareks awareness is phenomenal and it was no coincidence that he was the one to make a goal line clearance when it really mattered.

Lots of nerves the first 15 minutes where we couldn't quite cope with the expected onslaught from the home team. it really was their only chance; to come out at full speed, get a goal and get the stadium rocking. And it so very nearly went their way, but as soon as the game settled, there was only going to be one winner. Moments of brilliance and madness from both CMs and a frustrating evening for Adams. Looking at this game isolated he had zero impact, but as other said, he needs time. No guarantee that he will come good, but it is way too early to draw any conclusions.

Marquis lucky that VAR couldn't pick up his deliberate elbow on Maya. Really nasty stuff. Apart from that, I think Saints gave as good as they received...

Nice nice nice and thank you Ralph for taking this competition - or at least this match - seriously enough to field a strong team.

That’s just not true is it. They were not awful at all, in fact, they surprised me. Great work rate and made a good fist of it, we just showed much more class in front of goal (for once).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They were poor after the early huff and puff then had no answer

The Skates had nothing to play for and I can tell you for nothing that that's what they got. Nothing.

They had their chances, but the gulf in quality and ability showed. They fluffed their chances and we took ours. Once we got over a nervy start, we gradually gained confidence and gave them a sucker punch against the run of play. Once Ings had scored,our confidence soared and when Ings bagged his second from a great through ball assist from Obafemi, we were set up comfortably for the second half.

The Skates came out looking to redress the balance, but once again we took control with some neat passes around the back, tiring their strikers who were chasing shadows. We bided our time and when the opportunities arose, we flooded forward out wide, stretching their defence. Ings once again was instrumental, making a beautiful pass through to Cedric, who had drifted into the box unmarked for a simple tap in. The match was pretty well out of reach now for the Skates and when Obafemi made way for Redmond, that wasn't what the Skate fans or players wanted to see. Sure enough, Redmond scored a lovely goal to wrap it all up. Fresh legs with the pace that Long brings, allowed Ings his standing ovation from the Saints fans and to offer a threat going forward as well as his usual energy breaking up play.

Apart from the goal scorers with a special MOTM performance from Ings, good performances from the rest of the team, although Adams should have enjoyed the opportunities far better than he did. The back four were sound, as was McCarthy with a couple of vital saves. Romeu put in another tremendous performance next to Hojbjerg and Ward-Prowse.

Tomorrow will be a tale of two cities, all smiles and happiness in Southampton, and glum despair and embarrassment in Portsmouth.

Gerrin! :D

Their tactics were the only way they had any chance of getting anything, give it everything and hope to get a lead that they could try and hold on to with adrenaline and luck, but as soon as that failed, our superior class showed and there was only going to be one result.

Ings will get the plaudits and rightly so, but Bednarek deserves a mention for stopping several very dangerous attacks in that initial surge Pompey tried.

Adams knows he's blown a big chance tonight. To look completely out of his depth against premier League opposition and then be utterly ineffective against League One opposition speaks volumes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He looked totally gutted at the end, with Jack Stephens giving him a pep talk.

Rightly so, terrible performance

Will be dropped at the weekend

Nice to see the ‘hand holding surge’ at the away end after the game !

Must have wound up the Skates, big time..... (those that were still there of course!)!

COYFS:)

It certainly wound up Tim Sherwood on Sky. ‘Over the top that’. Then went into a bullish!t story about how he crunched 4 players at St Mary’s and the fans were delirious for him. Keeping the myth alive.

Adams knows he's blown a big chance tonight. To look completely out of his depth against premier League opposition and then be utterly ineffective against League One opposition speaks volumes.

Looked bereft of confidence. Reminded me of Jay-Rod when he first joined, it didn't click for him until he scored v Spurs.

What sort of saints fan watches us beat the skates 4-0 in their own back yard and comments on Adams’ performance?

It certainly wound up Tim Sherwood on Sky. ‘Over the top that’. Then went into a bullish!t story about how he crunched 4 players at St Mary’s and the fans were delirious for him. Keeping the myth alive.
It had nothing specifically to do with winning at Notarf Crap though. We did it after winning away at Sheffield United as well. I like it.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Ings was deservedly MOTM, his goals knocked the stuffing out of them when they were having a good spell. A Saints fan stuffing two goals in the Fratton end is legendary stuff. It’s the sort of thing we all dream about.

Thought Bednarek and Ward Prowse also had cracking games, and fair play to Redmond for coming on and going for the jugular. The whole side should be very proud because this game could easily have gone the other way, we’ve all seen Saints sides in the past **** up against lower league sides.

Looked bereft of confidence. Reminded me of Jay-Rod when he first joined, it didn't click for him until he scored v Spurs.

Yeh its confidence, heard Merson and a few of the Soccer saturday guys talking about it a few weeks ago, not specifically about Adams, but saying how fans just didn't really get how important it can be to a player.

Don't agree. Lad is still learning made some runs and kept skates defence busy. Yes he needs a goal but he will score soon and then his confidence will surge through and form will improve. With Ings scoring now it may help Che by taking pressure off of him.

Delighted with result and for some reason my skate neighbour that brought me home from hospital yesterday to save me waiting 4 hours for ambulance hasn't been sending his usual texts about SUPER SAINTS.