Spurs vs Saints - Build Up

whelk

That back 4 again, Bednarek and Yoshida in the middle, Yoshida was running on one cylinder v Skates, Bednarek pretty much likewise.

Bring Adams from the bench and stick the Irish fella O’bafemi to start, maybe a few starts from the bench might give Che a different impetuous.

Even though we kept a clean sheet I thought the defence looked pretty dodgy last night, especially at set pieces, they got away with it because Pompey are a ****e league one side.

Having said that we've tried loads of different combos of a back four/five the last two seasons and still haven't found one that looks really solid yet.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Same line up but swap Adams and Obafemi for Boufal and redmond

Would agree.

Shame we haven’t got someone to come in and give Hoj a chance to recharge.

McCarthy does seem to have something extra on Gunn. Don’t know if it’s Gunn’s inexperience but the defence seems a little bit more composed with him stood behind.

Even though we kept a clean sheet I thought the defence looked pretty dodgy last night, especially at set pieces, they got away with it because Pompey are a ****e league one side.

Having said that we've tried loads of different combos of a back four/five the last two seasons and still haven't found one that looks really solid yet.

I agree. We are a mess at set pieces, party also because none of our midfielders or strikers are strong in the air. Pelle and Lambert used to clear loads of corners and Wanyama won plenty of headers too.

Having said that, that was still out best back 4, I think.

I agree. We are a mess at set pieces, party also because none of our midfielders or strikers are strong in the air. Pelle and Lambert used to clear loads of corners and Wanyama won plenty of headers too.

Having said that, that was still out best back 4, I think.

It probably is our best back 4 it's just not the great in the PL.

Vest has turned out to be a massive disappointment (I was hoping he was going to be a beast in the air when we signed him), Stephens is ****ing gash and Danso looks very green but has potential I think.

I'm not sure there is much between Cedric and Valery and Bertrand is the only proper LB we have.

Same back 4 or maybe Danso in there for one of the centre-backs.

Hopefully Djenepo might be fit and we can go with a forward line of Ings, Redmond and Djenepo.

I think Adams needs taking out of the firing line for a bit, maybe bring him on against tired legs or get him an under-23 game where he hopefully gets some goals, because at the moment his confidence looks shot.

As others have said they are ok at home, but generally are in poor form so we have a decent chance, especially as we seem to be decent away from home.

See if we can keep it tight and frustrate them, get the crowd on their back, Villa almost did it for over an hour and Newcastle did it to them, with our pace going forward we could then hit them on the break.

Same back 4 or maybe Danso in there for one of the centre-backs.

Hopefully Djenepo might be fit and we can go with a forward line of Ings, Redmond and Djenepo.

I think Adams needs taking out of the firing line for a bit, maybe bring him on against tired legs or get him an under-23 game where he hopefully gets some goals, because at the moment his confidence looks shot.

As others have said they are ok at home, but generally are in poor form so we have a decent chance, especially as we seem to be decent away from home.

See if we can keep it tight and frustrate them, get the crowd on their back, Villa almost did it for over an hour and Newcastle did it to them, with our pace going forward we could then hit them on the break.

Sounds like his injury is pretty serious.

My bold lineup for this one would be:

Gunn

Vestergaard Bednarek Danso

Cedric Romeu JWP Bertrand

Adams Ings Redmond

With Boufal coming on for a cb if we need a goal. If Djenepo is fit he may compete with Adams. As has been said previously, I think Hoj could do with a rest and JWP looked good in midfield. To those drawing conclusions that Yosh or McCarthy should start based on pompey, bare in mind they are a pretty rubbish league 1 side so a clean sheet doesn't mean much. Further, on set pieces we looked very shakey when the ball was tossed into the box and I think Gunn claims the ball better than McCarthy and Vest clears better than Yosh. Also McCarthy nearly let in an absolute howler at his near post when Marquis shot from range. Luckily it hit the post but his positioning was dire.

---------------Gunn

Cedric Bednarek Yoshida Bertrand

--------------Romeu-------------

-------JWP-----------Hojbjerg-----

------Boufal--Ings---Redmond

This is our best available team imo. Round pegs in round holes, an in form Ings, pace both sides of him.

Spurs are on a bad run, dressing room appears in a mess, and Poch's head may well be in Madrid. We get something from the game.

Am I making this up or do Spurs have quite a good record of bouncing back from cup exits by spanking weaker opposition?

On the lineup - I'm not sure Yoshida's performance last night did him any favours. Danso and Bednarek? Who knows.

Why’s that? He’s historically struggled against Harry Kane but his performance last night was excellent.

He grew into it but looked shakier than most in that early period. Caught in no man's land for Marquis's long-range shot and napping at that corner when they almost bundled it in. Another day and we could have been 2-0 down.
Yoshida is one of the players who needs regular games to be at his best. He has been decent for us after an extended run in the team but he frequently looks like an accident waiting to happen in his first couple of games back after not being a regular starter.

Would agree.

Shame we haven’t got someone to come in and give Hoj a chance to recharge.

McCarthy does seem to have something extra on Gunn. Don’t know if it’s Gunn’s inexperience but the defence seems a little bit more composed with him stood behind.

Or maybe it was because we finally had a RB at RB, a LB at LB, and our 2 best CBs in between.

Yoshida is one of the players who needs regular games to be at his best. He has been decent for us after an extended run in the team but he frequently looks like an accident waiting to happen in his first couple of games back after not being a regular starter.

The other defenders seem to play better with him in the side too - perhaps he plays a key role in organising them. That does go against claims that Stephens gets picked because "he is a talker", but it's what I see at least. He is also the only centre back with any hint of pace, so can at least cover his or others mistakes. No chance of that with big Jannik.

He grew into it but looked shakier than most in that early period. Caught in no man's land for Marquis's long-range shot and napping at that corner when they almost bundled it in. Another day and we could have been 2-0 down.

Maybe, but Marquis was still a long way from goal. If that had crept in the positioning of McCarthy would have been mostly to blame. I thought most players looked shaky early on, and Yoshida was regulalrly in the right place to make important blocks or interceptions later on.

Maybe, but Marquis was still a long way from goal. If that had crept in the positioning of McCarthy would have been mostly to blame. I thought most players looked shaky early on, and Yoshida was regulalrly in the right place to make important blocks or interceptions later on.

Watching that back, it does look like Yoshi should have easily been able to step in and intercept that ball before it got to Marquis but got caught wrong-footed. But that aside, I thought he had a great game and should definitely start on Saturday. If Ralph drops him again in favour of Vest then he will have officially lost the plot.

Watching that back, it does look like Yoshi should have easily been able to step in and intercept that ball before it got to Marquis but got caught wrong-footed. But that aside, I thought he had a great game and should definitely start on Saturday. If Ralph drops him again in favour of Vest then he will have officially lost the plot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph reverts to a back three for spurs away with Vest alongside Yoshida and Bednarek.

This. Vest is best when he's just one of the rest (and not blessed with selection)

Yep - I'm really hoping that the team selection vs Bournemouth was actually just a deliberately weakened side to save our strongest for Pompey. But I'm not convinced...!

No fresh injury concerns apparently but now Djenepo is being called a "long term injury", real shame that.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Very much hope he hasn't contracted 'sold to Liverpool already' disease...

;-)

I thought this too - first 25 minutes or so, Yoshida looked very shaky indeed, with a couple of ropey passes and instances of poor control.

I think we'll play a back five. Newcastle won there a few weeks ago by simply clogging up the middle. Tottenham don't want to get wide and put in crosses. Poch loves his side to side and back again football - but played by a team low on confidence and seemingly energy (surprisingly they're one of the worst pressing outfits in the league these days - very un-Poch), it's not that hard to deal with.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping we start this one quickly and get in their faces early. If play like we did second half against Bournemouth we could knock their fragile confidence. It seems like a lot of games this season we've started off to slowly we have to concede (or have a few close calls) before the players wake up and start playing.