Cedric

Edmonton Saint

Much derided on here, but has knuckled down after his loan spell and has made the right back position his own. Also his crossing seems to be getting better and was one of the few to emerge with credit after the Bournemouth debacle.... And he scored against the Skates! Happy times.

Wanders casually down the middle of the pitch. Wham. 3-0 Saints. Legend

I've always liked him. His biggest issues seem to be he is a short arse who gets dominated by big CFs and while he gets forward well his final ball, into the box, is frequently awful.

I think his little loan last season was a bit of a wake up call for him that he wasn't as good as he thought he was but he seems to have come back knuckled down and put in some decent performances the last few games.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Always thought he was a good player, was very consistent for us but like many in the squad under 3 pretty poor managers just went off the boil and went a little stale.

Also have always thought that he is actually a way better defender than he is going forward which is against the norm for modern fullbacks these days. He is quick, rarely gets beaten 1v1, seems pretty strong/stocky for someone his height and his positioning/covering is excellent, note how he got round and covered with a crucial back post intervention last night, something that Valery doesn't do. He covers the centre-backs very well IMO, just reads the game well and that adds confidence to the whole back for IMO.

Going forward he is always been a little bit hit or miss, he certainly has good enough control and passing to be decent in forward areas and makes good runs, but his crossing is often a lottery, but put a great ball in last night that was begging for someone to slot in but no one gambled.

Should really see if we can get him to sign another contract IMO, we look a lot more solid defensively with him in a back four. We also I think would be hard pressed to find a full back as good as him when he is at his best without spending a lot.

What he was doing there for the goal I don't know.

Still though get the impression he wants to elsewhere and has only knuckled down to earn a good contract elsewhere, 'shop window' style, his celebration of a rare goal in a derby, in front of the away fans was a little muted IMO for someone that wants to be here. Contrast it with Hojberg's end game celebrations and even celebrating a good sliding tackle at the end of the game, he looked like someone who was enjoying playing for the club.

Edited by tajjuk

Many high profile nay-sayers on here have badly misjudged Cedric Soarer and quite a few will choke on their porridge rather than admit they were wrong.

Many of these are the same posters that also slagged off Sofiane Boufal as a useless dilettante and have to eat humble pie once again.

It seems to be a disease amongst a faction of the vocal fanbase to write off players and heap abuse on them just because they do not make an instantaneous impact.

Time one thinks for a more measured and circumspect attitude towards new players.

Many high profile nay-sayers on here have badly misjudged Cedric Soarer and quite a few will choke on their porridge rather than admit they were wrong.

Many of these are the same posters that also slagged off Sofiane Boufal as a useless dilettante and have to eat humble pie once again.

It seems to be a disease amongst a faction of the vocal fanbase to write off players and heap abuse on them just because they do not make an instantaneous impact.

Time one thinks for a more measured and circumspect attitude towards new players.

I suggest you keep the I told you so for a little while yet. He was very good last night but he wasnt really tested. I still dont rate him and stand by that.

He is far too small to be able to compete at the back post and is often out of position

He's on a good run of form and we look better with him at RB. Beautiful goal last night but no idea why he was at inside left!

He actually featured in the build up to the goal and the Sky commentator name checked him. I thought, 'you divot you don't know what you're doing, how can that be Cedric in that area of the pitch..?' Next touch, Cedric scored. Shows how much I know...!

He is far too small to be able to compete at the back post and is often out of position

Never really got this argument when most full backs in the league are small and will get bullied by bigger strikers dropping onto them, so firstly its the job of the centrebacks to stop this happening and help their fullback.

And secondly how many teams actually have big striker these days in the PL? Hardly any. A full backs primary jobs in defence is stop the opposite winger/wide forward, which Cedric does very well.

Finally to suggest he is often out of position is IMO nonsense when the guy is often bailing out his centre-backs with good covering which shows good positioning.

Defensively he is superior to Bertrand IMO.

Err, haven't you been part of this too? I think I've seen you regularly criticise JWP and say he's not good enough, when, just like Cedric, he has matches where he is effective and plays a big part and matches where he is less effective. They are both hot and cold players, who can't be entirely written off, but can't be expected to have a big impact on every game.