Cup Draw (Man City away)

whelk

We'll take a small following up there, always lose anyway and even some of the regulars i know are put off as they've already booked for the league game a few days later.

Terrible draw, and another away one. Last year we had Brighton, Everton and Leicester away , long run on consecutive away draws.

We'll take a small following up there, always lose anyway and even some of the regulars i know are put off as they've already booked for the league game a few days later.

Terrible draw, and another away one. Last year we had Brighton, Everton and Leicester away , long run on consecutive away draws.

With Derby in FA Cup in between.

Doh!

Still never mind it doesn't really matter what happens now we have already won the game that mattered this season.[emoji16]

Would have been nice to have a cup run given our league form looks like it's going to be patchy at best this season. But a good cup run for a team like ours requires a bit of luck in the draw... Man city away is not that sort of luck

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I would actually take a 5-0 tonking in the league if it guaranteed us progress in the next round of the league cup. The league games against City won’t mean much, the genuine 6 pointers with other mid table teams will.

So my preference would be play Redmond, Boufal, Djenepo, Cedric, Bertrand etc in the cup game, and the league game can have anyone from the B team plus anyone who feels fresh from the first game, e.g. Valery, Armstrong etc!

I would actually take a 5-0 tonking in the league if it guaranteed us progress in the next round of the league cup. The league games against City won’t mean much, the genuine 6 pointers with other mid table teams will.

So my preference would be play Redmond, Boufal, Djenepo, Cedric, Bertrand etc in the cup game, and the league game can have anyone from the B team plus anyone who feels fresh from the first game, e.g. Valery, Armstrong etc!

Our B team playing them in the League will lose 12-0 and that’s barely an exaggeration. They’ve just put 8 past Watford’s strongest 11 and will want to stretch their GD over the Scousers.

Strongest team possible for both.

I'm OK with City, to be fair their squad is so strong that even their reserve/youth team could win this competition, so if we want to have any chance of winning it, playing them is no big thing. Norwich have proved they're beatable this season, so let's go up there with a full team and see if Pep is brave enough to field his B team...

Good omen - City have never beaten us in the league cup.

It will be the sixth time the two teams have met in the League Cup - and City are yet win against the Saints in this competition.

The first meeting was in 1978, with Southampton winning 2-1 at The Dell.

Then, in 1982, City drew 1-1 at Maine Road but the Blues or Southampton were then drawn against Manchester United in Round 4 - for whoever won the replay.

Saints thrashed City 4-0 at The Dell and went on to face the Reds who eventually who eventually won the cup,

In 1999, City were held 0-0 by Southampton at Maine Road - the replay at The Dell saw City come back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 courtesy of two Shaun Goater goals, only to concede again in extra time and lose 4-3.

So City are chasing a first League Cup success against Southampton, with a place in the quarter-finals the reward.

It will be one of four successive home games for the Blues who - ironically - will play Southampton in the Premier League just a few days after this cup tie.

You say that, but if I need to pick up people/tickets again on route it could well be.

Ordered membership yesterday so will try and build my own away history now. Make things a little easier :)

If you ever need any help, give us a shout pal. It can be quite hard building a trackrecord without a ST or any real away travel record. Shame about your no-show at Wembley last season. Getting on the membership ladder is a start but it’s all about baby steps. Don’t give up. Its precisely fans with your passion that the club should be encouraging and rewarding.

Edited by shurlock

Took that from the City website, inaccurate as I’m sure 1999 was a two leg game in the 2nd round (not a replay) when we were Premier league and they were plucky league one minnows almost pulling off a giant killing at The Dell. I went up for the 1st leg we didn’t have many there that night in a temp scaffolding stand tucked away in the corner.

Ah well, we've won our cup final. Time to concentrate on staying in the league.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

That's a bleak outlook. If Ralph hadn't p*ssed around with the defence against Bournemouth we'd have won and been forth. I feel like this is one of those midtable seasons where we should be able to give a cup a real go.

That's a bleak outlook. If Ralph hadn't p*ssed around with the defence against Bournemouth we'd have won and been forth. I feel like this is one of those midtable seasons where we should be able to give a cup a real go.
And if we hadn't played for 60 minutes against 10 men at Brighton and Sheffield United hadn't been wrongly denied a penalty we'd be in the bottom three.

If, if, if.

We're a pretty poor side just about scraping by - so far. I don't see any reason to think that won't remain the case for the foreseeable future.

And if we hadn't played for 60 minutes against 10 men at Brighton and Sheffield United hadn't been wrongly denied a penalty we'd be in the bottom three.

If, if, if.

We're a pretty poor side just about scraping by - so far. I don't see any reason to think that won't remain the case for the foreseeable future.

They’re both away games and we won, isn’t that enough? We’re 13th and 5/6 teams we’ve played are in the top half. The worst team we’ve played at home is Man Utd.

I honestly don’t think we will be anywhere near the three promoted teams or Watford come next May.

Took that from the City website, inaccurate as I’m sure 1999 was a two leg game in the 2nd round (not a replay) when we were Premier league and they were plucky league one minnows almost pulling off a giant killing at The Dell. I went up for the 1st leg we didn’t have many there that night in a temp scaffolding stand tucked away in the corner.

Also incorrect about Utd winning the Cup. They lost in the final to Liverpool.

They did win the FA Cup that season though.

It wouldn't be for me, but the club should look at lying on some free coaches for this, it's a particularly long sh*te journey at the best of times but for doing it twice in a few days probably deserves rewarding.

Absolutely. Dibs for those who went to Fulham, perhaps.

You say that, but if I need to pick up people/tickets again on route it could well be.

Ordered membership yesterday so will try and build my own away history now. Make things a little easier :)

at least your mates you picked up would have had a phone and had the pics of youat FP. Cant wait to see them. I was in the Fratton end and stood with Westwood and his mates while singing OWTS. Unfortunately I left my phone at home and also the other 10 with me forgot theirs as well, who'd have thought it eh

Oh and we couldn't of ad a harder draw. Cant see us getting through.