Spurs 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Poor decisions from Ralph. After Cedric pulled out Valery SHOULD’VE replaced him, a straight swap,not having to shuffle 2 or 3. Then after sending off, we SHOULD’VE went to a back 4 at half time. Waited too long to change personnel & tactics. Obafemi SHOULD’VE been on earlier to partner Ings not replace him. Points lost here I’m afraid by Ralph(SHOULD’VE) Hasenhuttl.

I like him but some choices recently have been odd.

WTF posters blaming Gunn for first goal!!!!

How's he meant to save that at that speed after taking defection??? Clueless supporters!

It didn’t take a deflection and went right through him.

I was right behind it, should have been a comfortable save.

Disappointed not to get anything from that but fundamentally we lack quality. Excellent at working the ball wide or to the edge of the area and then utterly clueless as to what to next. Must also mention Vestergaard who is a liability. We continue to reap the effect of our appalling transfer policy over the past few seasons - today encapsulated it perfectly.

Missed opportunity for at least a point. Sad to say, but it's difficult to pick 3 worse sides than us. Luckily Watford aren't picking up points, but undoubtedly we are going to be in another relegation scrap with no improvement from last year. I'd be surprised if we are not in the bottom 3 by the end of October.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Amidst all the overreaction, I'm disappointed but reasonably okay with today.

Yes we lost, but losing Cedric in the warm-up stopped Ralph from going with Cedric/Bednarek/Yoshida/Bertrand - which would make many of us happy.

We looked good going forward, albeit against ten men, we passed sideways a bit less, and we created chances. We have wide threats on both sides.

The big miss in our team is a late-arriving midfielder who can shoot from the top of the box. It will never be Romeu, PEH is too wild, and JWP may be good with a dead ball but his shooting with a live ball is p*ss poor.

In a game like that, a scoring midfielder could have had a hat trick.

And I'll say it again - Yoshida is so unlucky. He could be sitting on 20 goals for us if it wasn't for woodwork and great saves.

To be fair to Ings the midfield just want to pass the ball sideways and backwards.

He got a goal by his own initiative and almost got on the end of the one good delivery he received.

Ings was making some lovely runs but numbnuts Redmond and show-pony Boufal either couldn’t or wouldn’t play an early ball to him. Massive chance wasted today. Spurs were imploding and we let them off the hook.

We looked good going forward, albeit against ten men, we passed sideways a bit less, and we created chances. We have wide threats on both sides.

Other than 2 set pieces what chances? Given we had 75% of the ball in the 2nd half i'd say tottenham carved out better chances than us.

pretty passing, followed by some more overpassing mixed in with bottling responsibility in attacking areas and finally mostly poor delivery when we finally ran out of ideas and crossed.

We’re given gifts (Loris howler + 10 men) and still couldn’t get points.

We are not a very good team, but fortunately there are a few worse in the league.

This team has 15th place on 44 points written all over it.

I'd bite your hand off for 44 points. Can't see us getting into the 40s though, another relegation battle, 37, 38 points and safety.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

We are guilty of being over elaborate. Quick simple first time passing would see us do better than the sideways rubbish and players going down blind alleys. Bertrand must be fed up of busting a gut on the overlap only to see the ball get recycled across the pitch. Three or four times we got the ball into an area where a fizzed pass across the box would have caused real problems for Spurs but opted to play it to the back of the box to no one. This means players are not looking up prior to passing or players are not attacking the box from midfield and are instead ball watching further back.

We are guilty of being over elaborate. Quick simple first time passing would see us do better than the sideways rubbish and players going down blind alleys. Bertrand must be fed up of busting a gut on the overlap only to see the ball get recycled across the pitch. Three or four times we got the ball into an area where a fizzed pass across the box would have caused real problems for Spurs but opted to play it to the back of the box to no one. This means players are not looking up prior to passing or players are not attacking the box from midfield and are instead ball watching further back.

That's the big issue for me. And even if they do attack the box, their shooting is crap or they turn back to recycle.

When they moved Sissoko to RB we started to have a lot of success down our left, but after about 15 minutes of the 2nd half we stopped getting in behind him as, time after time, we got level with the penalty area and turned infield and looked back for the pass. As others have said, how much energy did Bertrand expend getting past on the overlap, only to be completely ignored.

Let's bring in Big Sam and hoof it up field :mcinnes:

That s because Armstrong didn t do anything

he came on with 11 mins left what were you hoping for?............our squad is slowly settling down for abumpy close to relegation season again i think we lack decisive movement up front subs made no impact and no options for those already on the pitch.woeful tbf.

totally agree

Spurs played a 441 in the second half while we continued with a defensive formation with 3 at the back, even if you you accept that JWP and Bertie were pushed into midfield, it still meant that we had 7 midfield / attackers against their 8 midfield defenders, and man for man their 8 are better quality players than our 7. Ralph seemed more concerned that we did not concede another goal rather than going for an equalizer and winner. With Ings isolated their central defence had a really easy ride as we seemed incpable of getting round them on the outside. When we did we either played a poor ball in or did not have enough bodies in the box to capitalise. Spurs obviously played really deep so we could not get behind them. In which case, if he insisted on keeping Vest on why not play him as a target man alongside Ings, his awkwardness might have caused some panic and some scrappy chances. It would certainly have given the Spurs defence something else to think about. Also Boufal was the only one who was trying something different but most of the time he was isolated out on the wings. By putting him around the D he just might have conjured up a bit of magic to unlock them. ah hinsight is a great thing but we really did not trouble them much at all in the second half, in fact we looked more dangerous albeit wasteful when they had 11 men on the pitch. .....No-one ever said it would be easy in supporting the Saints.....but we had the choice, we could always have been glory hunters and supported one if the big clubs, so we really only have ourselves to blame!

Think we lack belief. Feels like you are just waiting for the mistake and goal to come.

Why oh why we stayed with 5 at the back after they went to 10 men I just don’t know.

We move the ball to slowly again.

Think we are going to see some highs but we are also going to see more like this. Not sure how we are going to change this type of performance without a major team shakeup.

Anyone know why he didn’t put Valery in when Cedric got injured?

Dreadful inevitability about that performance once they went down to 10. Saints just don’t have the quality to break down defences that sit back. Moved the ball far too slowly. It’s times like this afternoon when we do miss a taller striker to give us another option.

It’s a fine stadium inside but I didn’t enjoy being in it. Kind of souless. Chalk and cheese with Tuesday night.

Unfortunately, we have 3 midfielders in Hoj, Romeu and JWP who have no forward initiative, no defence splitting pass, no creativity and no longe range scoring ability (save for a few from JWP from the end of last season). No wonder there's no link between midfield and attack. Splitting Redmond and Boufal apart and getting them as wide as possible is all well and good but it's not much point if they're not getting crosses in. Half the time they give it back to Bertrand or JWP who knock it back inside to Romeu or Hoj. Armstrong came on and made no difference at all; I'm not sure what he was supposed to do.

Redmond did his best work last season in the space between the goal posts, down the middle of the pitch.

It infuriates me that JWP, while a great dead ball striker, can barely hit a moving ball with any accuracy. The right back might go on a run, knock it back to JWP, and instead of whipping one in, he comes back inside or backwards, and we do it all again on the other side.

Unfortunately, we have 3 midfielders in Hoj, Romeu and JWP who have no forward initiative, no defence splitting pass, no creativity and no longe range scoring ability (save for a few from JWP from the end of last season). No wonder there's no link between midfield and attack. Splitting Redmond and Boufal apart and getting them as wide as possible is all well and good but it's not much point if they're not getting crosses in. Half the time they give it back to Bertrand or JWP who knock it back inside to Romeu or Hoj. Armstrong came on and made no difference at all; I'm not sure what he was supposed to do.

Redmond did his best work last season in the space between the goal posts, down the middle of the pitch.

It infuriates me that JWP, while a great dead ball striker, can barely hit a moving ball with any accuracy. The right back might go on a run, knock it back to JWP, and instead of whipping one in, he comes back inside or backwards, and we do it all again on the other side.

Makes the whole Lemina situation so much worse. Team is crying out for a guy with his talent and engine but unfortunately he doesn’t seem to see that he has to put in the work instead of giving it the big “I am” on social media.