Cedric mystery

sydenhamssocks

From the Echo :

Ralph Hasenhuttl revealed that he has no idea why Cedric Soares pulled put of Saints' Premier League match at Tottenham Hotspur BEFORE the players had even warmed up.

When Hasenhuttl changed his team shortly before kick-off, with Jannik Vestergaard brought in to replace Cedric, it was assumed the right-back had sustained an injury while preparing for Saints’ first match at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

But, speaking in his post-match press conference Hasenhuttl, revealed that was not the case.

Perhaps he was unhappy at being asked to play in goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be close to the truth there. Cedric clearly travelled to the stadium with the intention of playing today, probably with a great deal of confidence after his performance on Tuesday night. Then one hour before kickoff something happened. Ralph later said that the reason he played 3 central defenders was in reaction to the Spurs team selection, which was announced one hour before kickoff. So, I wonder if Ralph's last minute defensive reshuffle with Cedric being asked to play out of position, like the defenders were against Bournemouth, upset the players.

I wish he’d just play the same team. Tinkers way too much and doesn’t seem to understand the strength that comes from a settled team, with players in their proper positions. He should give it a go. Maybe Cedric was exasperated at this. And The hapless vestergard being back in the frame. Something not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be close to the truth there. Cedric clearly travelled to the stadium with the intention of playing today, probably with a great deal of confidence after his performance on Tuesday night. Then one hour before kickoff something happened. Ralph later said that the reason he played 3 central defenders was in reaction to the Spurs team selection, which was announced one hour before kickoff. So, I wonder if Ralph's last minute defensive reshuffle with Cedric being asked to play out of position, like the defenders were against Bournemouth, upset the players.

sounds a bit far fetched. For a start Bertrand was already playing and there is no way Cedric would be anything other than a wing back on either side of the pitch. You aren’t gonna stick a short ass at CB are ya? Can’t see he would refuse to play after getting himself back into the team.

There's clearly been an altercation of sorts, Ralph has said it wasn't an injury but claims he doesn't know why Cedric pulled out. Either Cedric's gone off in a huff or Ralph's sent him packing, if it were only tactical then Cedric would have been on the bench. Bit of a pattern emerging.

Its Ralph's way or the highway? Personally it seems like we've had a lot of players that have been taking the **** since Puel. Every season some poor, wallflower, of a millionaire footballer in our squad has a hissy fit about the manager or the way the club treats them though tbf its not exactly a saints disease it seems to a symptom of highly paid, celebrity footballers with agents that effects most PL clubs.

If you look at the Saints Twitter feed you'll see the team was announced with Cedric at RB. This has to be genuine surely, Cedric probably didn't feel right about something and reported how he felt to the coaches. They would have made the decision for him to stand down.

Ralph would probably be the last to know and probably would just be told that the player had some sort of muscle problem. It's all speculation and we are nowhere near January.

Throwing my hat into the conspiracy bucket... maybe he was asked to play LWB?
Could be something in that, or a variation on that theme.

Ralph has said that when he saw the Spurs line-up he wanted to switch to a back three. I assumed that Cedric pulled out then there was an opportunity to bring in a third CB, but maybe, as you say, Ralph wanted to fiddle with the shape of the named team. Bertrand would be the only CB option, meaning someone to slot in at LB. Cedric didn't look right there against Bournemouth. Could have used Hojbjerg, but that would weaken midfield and perhaps he said no, as well as Cedric.

Pure speculation, but say JWP was prepared to play RB so a mystery withdrawal of Cedric was made to allow Vestergaard to come in. Could have done something similar losing Boufal, say, but I guess he didn't want to weaken the attacking options. Hope this wasn't the case as I would have thought it would get us in trouble.

Strange, anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you look at the Saints Twitter feed you'll see the team was announced with Cedric at RB. This has to be genuine surely, Cedric probably didn't feel right about something and reported how he felt to the coaches. They would have made the decision for him to stand down.

Ralph would probably be the last to know and probably would just be told that the player had some sort of muscle problem. It's all speculation and we are nowhere near January.

Really? I'd think the manager would be the first to know. He stated after the match that he had no idea why Cedric pulled out, I'm sure he does really, but if it were an injury he would have said so.

Very strange if true.

Unless the Echo is happy to print lies / miss-quotes from RH then we have to assume this is true, and it's beyond bizarre that he has no idea why Soares did this.

If I did the same at work I'd be disciplined in some way or other, and in this context you'd be thinking about "Gross Misconduct" as we were relying on Soares to be a part of our team to beat a vulnerable Spurs.

Unless the Echo is happy to print lies / miss-quotes from RH then we have to assume this is true, and it's beyond bizarre that he has no idea why Soares did this.

If I did the same at work I'd be disciplined in some way or other, and in this context you'd be thinking about "Gross Misconduct" as we were relying on Soares to be a part of our team to beat a vulnerable Spurs.

It's more likely that Ralph does know the reason, as this occurred less than an hour before kick-off when they were together in the dressing room, but is being disingenuous.

If Cedric wasn't injured then surely we've broken some PL rules by changing the team after submitting the team sheets? Especially as Ralph practically admitted that he changed tactics after seeing Spurs' team sheet??

Shush.

Saints' dressing room less than an hour before kick-off:

Ralph: OMG, I've just seen the Spurs' team sheet. Forget everything we did in training this week, lads, when I thought we were going to be playing their reserves. We're actually going to be playing their regular first team. So........ I'm going to completely change the defence.

Players: shake heads in disbelief.

If Cedric wasn't injured then surely we've broken some PL rules by changing the team after submitting the team sheets? Especially as Ralph practically admitted that he changed tactics after seeing Spurs' team sheet??

I'd imagine both sides would need to hand in their team sheets at exactly the same time, so either manager wouldn't know each others line-ups until it was too late to change anything?

I'd imagine both sides would need to hand in their team sheets at exactly the same time, so either manager wouldn't know each others line-ups until it was too late to change anything?
Cédric was in our line up and on the team sheet, then was switched for Vestergaard at the last minute. Fair enough if it's because of an injury in the warm up (which we all assumed and was reported at the time) but now Ralph's saying he wasn't injured, so we just changed the team after handing in the team sheets for seemingly no "proper" reason?

More

Teamsheet update

#SaintsFC's @OficialCedric has picked up an injury in the warm-up and will be replaced by @JVestergaard7.

This was published on the Saints Twitter feed about 20 mins before ko. Why are people questioning this especially when some who attended the match saw him pull up sharply during the warm up.

Since when was the Echo regarded as a reliable source?

Cédric was in our line up and on the team sheet, then was switched for Vestergaard at the last minute. Fair enough if it's because of an injury in the warm up (which we all assumed and was reported at the time) but now Ralph's saying he wasn't injured, so we just changed the team after handing in the team sheets for seemingly no "proper" reason?

Simply at the time of the question Ralph wasn't fully informed. The medical people probably hadn't had time to do full tests and analysis and certainly would not speculate on the lad's condition.

When people go to the Doc's and report a tummy pain, the Doc doesn't whip out their appendix without further investigation!

I couldn't tell you what time Cedric was pulled, I don't know if it was before or after the team sheets went in but surely RH can change his formation up to the last minute . Taking a guess, Ralph may have had a late change of heart on formation and Cedric may not have agreed with his new duties and tempers frayed. The obvious replacement was Valery, the fact he didn't get the nod may suggest it was a formation change decision, whatever it was, it looks like Cedric didn't agree with it!

I couldn't tell you what time Cedric was pulled, I don't know if it was before or after the team sheets went in but surely RH can change his formation up to the last minute . Taking a guess, Ralph may have had a late change of heart on formation and Cedric may not have agreed with his new duties and tempers frayed. The obvious replacement was Valery, the fact he didn't get the nod may suggest it was a formation change decision, whatever it was, it looks like Cedric didn't agree with it!
See post #19

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It was after the team sheets:

Team sheet submitted at 2:00pm.

Team sheet updated at 2:49pm (realistically earlier than this but not tweeted until this time).

I agree that Ralph can change formation as much as he likes before, and indeed during, the game, but you cannot change the 11 starting players between handing in the team sheet to the referee at one hour before kick off and kick off. Surely this is common sense?

All I'm saying is Cedric was in the original team sheet and Vestergaard was not, and if this change wasn't because of an injury between 2pm and 3pm then it would be considered a tactical change and we'd surely be in breach of some rules.

Looking at it again it may be that when Ralph says he doesn't know why Cedric couldn't play he means he's not sure what the injury is or how serious.

Usual fans conspiracy theory nonsense. I have it on good authority (won't name my source) that Cedric picked up an injury in the warm up. Nothing more than that.

Was no one at the game who would have seen Cedric warming up? Also perhaps noticed him leaving the pitch. Obviously not many on here go to games, but surely someone was there. Maybe supporters are too far away from the players at the New White Hart Lane or whatever its called to be able to see Cedric, he is quite small to be fair. What about the bloke that does the vlog or whatever, surely he has video evidence.

Usual fans conspiracy theory nonsense. I have it on good authority (won't name my source) that Cedric picked up an injury in the warm up. Nothing more than that.

Was it a black eye after he upset someone?

You can't blame fans for speculating when the manager is reported as saying it wasn't an injury and he doesn't know why he disappeared from the team sheet.

Was no one at the game who would have seen Cedric warming up? Also perhaps noticed him leaving the pitch. Obviously not many on here go to games, but surely someone was there. Maybe supporters are too far away from the players at the New White Hart Lane or whatever its called to be able to see Cedric, he is quite small to be fair. What about the bloke that does the vlog or whatever, surely he has video evidence.

Those of us who did go to the game, were still outside trying to get in. Their wonderful, modern, turnstiles didn't work.

More

�� Teamsheet update ��

#SaintsFC's @OficialCedric has picked up an injury in the warm-up and will be replaced by @JVestergaard7.

This was published on the Saints Twitter feed about 20 mins before ko. Why are people questioning this especially when some who attended the match saw him pull up sharply during the warm up.

Since when was the Echo regarded as a reliable source?

I'm more worried about the people that go in the ground more than 20 mins before ko :lol:

why didn’t he slot Valery straight in, it is bizarre putting the bloody terrible Vestaguard straight back in at short notice too.

Also it is evident that Ralph is losing some respect with his fall outs and favouritism to certain players what ever their form.

Not so sure at all about him now, he is very sure of himself but doesn’t back it up....The decision making just gets more and more odd.

Edited by captainchris