Our Support

SKD

Glad to please mate, shall we talk about Bertrand next?

You had some crackers about him

Keep to the topic please. If you’d like to discuss Bertrand and his past and/or future please use the relevant thread.

Thanks.

Is our home support really that bad?? Even the 'amazing' Anfield was described as being 'flat' by the BBC on Monday night when they were making hard work of West Ham. And it was certainly flat on my last 2 visits, as was the new Spurs ground. I think we are being unfairly targeted

Is our home support really that bad?? Even the 'amazing' Anfield was described as being 'flat' by the BBC on Monday night when they were making hard work of West Ham. And it was certainly flat on my last 2 visits, as was the new Spurs ground. I think we are being unfairly targeted

West Ham fans were singing “top of the league and you still don’t sing” once Liverpool had gone 3-2 up. The myths about Anfield are almost as bad as Fratton.

Anfield hasn't been amazing for about a decade if not more, the Spurs ground IS a morgue, same as the Emirates. Does that make our home support good? Not really. It's definitely improving now the Itchen North is making a difference but compared to the league one and championship days it's pretty f*cking awful, the Northam barely sings these days and the Kingsland North carry them most games.

To be honest our support needs a kick up the ar*e, it's gotten far too friendly and nice and seems to be full of day trippers or people so entitled they think we should be getting champions league places.

Anfield hasn't been amazing for about a decade if not more, the Spurs ground IS a morgue, same as the Emirates. Does that make our home support good? Not really. It's definitely improving now the Itchen North is making a difference but compared to the league one and championship days it's pretty f*cking awful, the Northam barely sings these days and the Kingsland North carry them most games.

To be honest our support needs a kick up the ar*e, it's gotten far too friendly and nice and seems to be full of day trippers or people so entitled they think we should be getting champions league places.

The whole raisin detre of saints fans these days is “we might be sh1t but we’re not as **** as ......”

Look at the atttitude to Goa, he might not be the best but he’s not the worst

Our fans the atmosphere isn’t great but at least it’s not as bad as .....

How about we actually try and aim to not be better than the sh1tyest other examples around us?

The whole raisin detre of saints fans these days is “we might be sh1t but we’re not as **** as ......”

How about we actually try and aim to not be better than the sh1tyest other examples around us?

I put it down to the fact our lot think we’re actually better than we are. As shown on here the past couple of days

6 points off relegation = no chance we’ll go down

6 points off Europe = we’ve got a good chance, we’re better than Burnley (who’ve beat us twice and finished above us 3 seasons running) and Sheffield United (who’ve been outstanding this season).

We need to accept that we’re trying to play champagne football on a frosty jacks budget. We need to accept that the manager is getting 15-20% more than probably 90% of managers could and that they are going to make mistakes.

Don’t groan when the ball goes back, don’t sarcastically cheer when the keeper makes a save or a defender clears the ball.

Get behind the team and try and be positive towards them.

I put it down to the fact our lot think we’re actually better than we are. As shown on here the past couple of days

6 points off relegation = no chance we’ll go down

6 points off Europe = we’ve got a good chance, we’re better than Burnley (who’ve beat us twice and finished above us 3 seasons running) and Sheffield United (who’ve been outstanding this season).

We need to accept that we’re trying to play champagne football on a frosty jacks budget. We need to accept that the manager is getting 15-20% more than probably 90% of managers could and that they are going to make mistakes.

Don’t groan when the ball goes back, don’t sarcastically cheer when the keeper makes a save or a defender clears the ball.

Get behind the team and try and be positive towards them.

Lol you bellend.

Reckon that a significant factor is the splitting up of the Northam on a regular basis to accommodate away fans. This affects not just one match day, but over time serves to dilute the most vocal of our fans. Then there’s been a lack of identity derived from 3-4 seasons of dire football at home and uninspiring transfer windows.

Lastly, there’s the socio-economic factor of a good proportion of football spectators who don’t see football as their only passion or outlet - they have an income that allows for other interests...Saturday footie is not the sole focus, so there’s less passion on display. Could be argued that Fans from generally poorer areas of the country exhibit a stronger more vocal support as they’ve still got that focussed passion because they’ve spent a higher proportion of their income, so it means more.

All these factors come together to make a perfect storm. Doubt it’s curable...getting SMS to truly rock again will be a bit like trying to herd mice.

Agree mush. I’m f*cking sick of the didn’t we play but we lost mentality. Or the we sold out an away game but made f*ck all noise mentality. Or the pat yourself on the backs for singing when you’re winning mentality (and half the time it’s the same repeated songs or songs nicked from elsewhere).

Why can’t we have a bit more pride than that. We might not be the biggest club but we’re from Southampton and I’m proud as f*ck of my city, and I don’t want to accept defeat, or a half arsed support, I want us to be the best everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolute **** yesterday. I was a bit hammered but apart from a load on the top ‘standing up cause they loved the saints’ (should they not be standing anyway?). The game was nothing to get too excited about but reckon that was the worst away this season. Best bit was hearing some lads sing the Jack Stephens song (who I am told, loves it) on the concourse. How do they charge six quid for a hot dog? And then in a pub down the road I see that Dr Barry Gale in a retro West Ham top, why are we employing West Ham fans?

The support was again bad yesterday, not for the want of trying but together with the team beng **** its one of thm grounds that will always be hard to get any sort of chant going whee both tiers join in.

For what iits worth, dispite winning 3-1 (and winning for the 1st time in ages) the West Ham support was just as bad.

The support was awful yesterday.

But the Stephens chant I heard some lads trying to get going was one of the worst I’ve ever heard.

stick with OWTS and YELLOWS then pal

not everyone is going to like everything but at least it’s a bit different.

stick with OWTS and YELLOWS then pal

not everyone is going to like everything but at least it’s a bit different.

I like lots of our other chants, just because i didn’t like that abysmal offering doesn’t mean i only sing those two.

Given that we’re thick in a relegation battle, I really do hope the support improves as it could prove vital in the 6 pointer Derby’s (Bournemouth and Brighton).

COYR

I usually agree with what you put on here mush, but no way either of those are derbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The support was awful yesterday.

But the Stephens chant I heard some lads trying to get going was one of the worst I’ve ever heard.

Agreed - not sure how grown adults can happily stand there and chant about ****ing your sister and your mum. Idiots.

And as for the ca 40 year old bloke, smoking weed next to a child (so much so that his dad took him out of his seat to go elsewhere...get a grip.

Agreed - not sure how grown adults can happily stand there and chant about ****ing your sister and your mum. Idiots.

And as for the ca 40 year old bloke, smoking weed next to a child (so much so that his dad took him out of his seat to go elsewhere...get a grip.

God we have a bunch of saps in our support

Surprised no one has mentioned the support on Saturday.

The second half rendition of "Pompey get battered...." was very impressive.

Not a fan of the song but unlike some of my uber fan mates, if it gets a great atmosphere started then why not?

Completely silenced their lot for a while, shame we can manage to do this only once a decade.

Not a fan of the song but unlike some of my uber fan mates, if it gets a great atmosphere started then why not?

Completely silenced their lot for a while, shame we can manage to do this only once a decade.

Its a shmae we have not got more songs like that, simple and easy to sing along to and clap etc.

How good would it be if, like you say , we could be more like that more often.

We did drown out the Newcastle fans, 3 times they tried and 3 times they failed to get heard in that 20 min or so spell. In the end they gave up.

I would be intrested to know what they thought about it from the away end.

8)8)8)

"Stand up if you love the Saints" :lol:

• 2 weeks later...