Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saints vs Chelsea - Build Up

Default Saints vs Chelsea - Build Up

Live on Super Sunday (2pm kick off).

No more kinky stuff please Ralph. Round pegs in round holes.

No chance
    Pockets of huff and puff from us but awful defensive set up/performance will see us off

1-3

2 proper fullbacks please

We'll win this.

2-1 Saints

I can't stand the smugness of over rated Lampard. I hope we wipe the smirk off his face. But sadly, we won't. I can only see another home defeat because I've lost complete trust in Ralph to pick the right team selection/tactics

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    I can't stand the smugness of over rated Lampard. I hope we wipe the smirk off his face. But sadly, we won't. I can only see another home defeat because I've lost complete trust in Ralph to pick the right team selection/tactics
    Fickle fickle fickle

7. Default

Going by Ralph's recent experiments, I can see him trying out Long as a front sweeper. He's quick so can cover the space in front of the whole defence, and good in the air so he can help out there as well. Maybe try Vestergaard up top as a target man while we're at it? Possibly Hojbjerg in goal, too? He's quite tall and his goal kicks would probably be about as effective as his forward passing usually is from midfield.

--------------Hojbjerg---------------
    Valery--Bednarek---Yoshida--Bertrand
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Long>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    --------JWP-----------Romeu--------
    -------------Redmond---------------
    ----Vestergaard-------Ings----------

This cunning plan would completely subvert Lampard's expectations. 2-0 to us.

We'll huff and puff, but ultimately they will have too much quality for us. It's on sky as well, so we all know what that means. Saints 1 Chelsea 3.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Micky; 29-09-2019 at 06:51 PM.

They are away in the Champions league on Wednesday night, not a long journey to Lille but they’ll need to put out a strong side having already lost first group game to Valencia.

It feels like we’re slipping back to the Pellegrino days where no one looked forward to home games as our form at St Mary’s is so bad, we could do with an encouraging performance and at least a point in this one.

Hope I'm wrong but really can't see us giving the better teams a bloody nose the way we're playing at the moment.

0-2

They play decent football, without being a particularly good side. Think they'll pass round our midfield and they'll take their chances.

After a very poor performance vs Bournemouth, and one we should have got a result out of this weekend, we need a big performance from them on Sunday.

Would be tempted to stick McCarthy in as he's a better keeper. Valery to come in if Ralph/Cedric can't settle their differences. If we could just put this settled team out for a few weeks on the trott with no weird decisions (LB at RB, RB @ LB, CM @ LB, CB @ RB etc etc)

---------------------McCarthy/Gunn--------------------
    Cedric (Valery), Bednarek - Yoshida --------Bertrand
    -------------------JWP Romeu Hojbjerg----------------
    ----------Boufal-------------------------Redmond------
    -------------------------Ings----------------------------
    Assuming Djenepo is still injured, would have him off the bench for this one anyway, and to be brought on for Boufal probably in one of the more attacking positions.

I think we will do alright, we were pretty decent at home against Man Utd and Liverpool, unlucky IMO not to take more points from those games.

Chelsea will come to try and beat us I reckon, which will suit us, they play out from the back which will suit us, they are also a young inconsistent side, I think a good game that will come down to who takes their chances.

For the gamblers out there - Mason Mount is guaranteed to score in this game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    For the gamblers out there - Mason Mount is guaranteed to score in this game.
    Odds on him having a friendly little message under his shirt too?

15. Default

Hopefully Ralph won't fall out with anyone this week and he has a full squad to play out of position.

Pretty much the team from the Pompey game but Redmond in for me

Mccarthy
    Cedric Bedanrek Yoshida Bertrand
    JWP Romeu Hojberg
    Redmond Ings Adams

subs
    Gunn, Valery Vestergaard, Slattery, Obafemi, Boufal, Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Going by Ralph's recent experiments, I can see him trying out Long as a front sweeper. He's quick so can cover the space in front of the whole defence, and good in the air so he can help out there as well. Maybe try Vestergaard up top as a target man while we're at it? Possibly Hojbjerg in goal, too? He's quite tall and his goal kicks would probably be about as effective as his forward passing usually is from midfield.

--------------Hojbjerg---------------
    Valery--Bednarek---Yoshida--Bertrand
    <<<<<<<<<<<<Long>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    --------JWP-----------Romeu--------
    -------------Redmond---------------
    ----Vestergaard-------Ings----------

This cunning plan would completely subvert Lampard's expectations. 2-0 to us.
    Why on earth would you go with two recognised full backs - ridiculous idea

McCarthy
    Cedric
    Danso
    Vestergaard or Yoshida
    Bertrand
    Romeu
    Hojbjerg
    Djenepo
    Boufal
    Redmond
    Ings

Quote Originally Posted by Avenue_Saint View Post
    McCarthy
    Cedric
    Danso
    Vestergaard or Yoshida
    Bertrand
    Romeu
    Hojbjerg
    Djenepo
    Boufal
    Redmond
    Ings
    If only! One day soon perhaps.

After watching the Leicester game and how they destroyed a ten man Magpies we really do need to get our act together for this one. Is Ralph learning anything from his losing selections? If Denso and Valery are fit, there's your left and right. Keep Vestergaard on the bench and put Yoshie and Bednarek in the middle of those two and Armstrong instead of JWP. Chelsea, like Spurs, are there for the taking and it's about time we have a home win.

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Odds on him having a friendly little message under his shirt too?
    Glasgow stuck a tenner on it but he's already cashed out for £50.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Hope I'm wrong but really can't see us giving the better teams a bloody nose the way we're playing at the moment.

0-2
    We aren't very good but we should have drawn with Liverpool, we should have beaten Man United and we should have got something at Spurs.

This isn't an easy game for Chelsea.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Glasgow stuck a tenner on it but he's already cashed out for £50.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    We aren't very good but we should have drawn with Liverpool, we should have beaten Man United and we should have got something at Spurs.

Canít argue with this

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

It may not be easy for Chelsea but as youíve highlighted we only got one point for our troubles against those three.

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by richardc View Post
    Why on earth would you go with two recognised full backs - ridiculous idea
    Good point well made! I have no idea what I was thinking of, it would be better to play Adams at right back and Danso on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Wouldn't say he's overrated at all - he's done very well so far and will be a much much better manager than a genuinely overrated Steven Gerrard IMO.

Have you see Lampard's teams play? They play some really decent stuff.

Anyway, as long as Yoshida and McCarthy play and Vestergaard and Gunn don't, I'll be happy.

Lampard's Chelsea are rather English in their style of play after years of being anything but. Their kids have played us at U23 level so we should know how they play. I fancy we could win this and win it well, maybe 3-1 (two o.g's & a pen)

We couldn’t beat Frank Lampard’s Derby County last season so we’re due a win against him.

Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post
    After watching the Leicester game and how they destroyed a ten man Magpies we really do need to get our act together for this one. Is Ralph learning anything from his losing selections? If Denso and Valery are fit, there's your left and right. Keep Vestergaard on the bench and put Yoshie and Bednarek in the middle of those two and Armstrong instead of JWP. Chelsea, like Spurs, are there for the taking and it's about time we have a home win.
    Errr not like that we wonít Ralph...

5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth

I'm guessing Ings and McCarthy as makeshift full backs. Bertrand and Valery on the bench, but brought on at the end, just to show us they were fit and could have played.

Get them to 9 men and I'll take a draw.

Blog Entries

Bayern Munich just made short Shrift of an 11 man spurs team and defence and clearly showed up our lack of creativity and cutting edge which irrespective of our propensity to give away silly goals is going to be the key issue we need to overcome this year to improve on yet another relegation struggle.

We must not let a 4 -0 drubbing of a poor Pompey side hide the fact that we continue to struggle to create against many not so good but disciplined premiere sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Without a Halo View Post
    Bayern Munich just made short Shrift of an 11 man spurs team and defence and clearly showed up our lack of creativity and cutting edge which irrespective of our propensity to give away silly goals is going to be the key issue we need to overcome this year to improve on yet another relegation struggle.

We must not let a 4 -0 drubbing of a poor Pompey side hide the fact that we continue to struggle to create against many not so good but disciplined premiere sides.
    We definitely deserve to be compared with Bayern

I think scoring seven away to Spurs would highlight the shortcomings in most teams attacking creativity, if I’m honest.

They’ll be too much for us. We’ll pass it around nicely for a bit, then they’ll take one of their first chances to score first and that will be it. SMS will go quiet except the boo boys who will start up. 0-2.

37. Default

You obviously didn't see Danso at LB vs Bournemouth?! He was playing right in front of me, and was rightly hoiked off at HT. He's a CB or he's nothing at all. Bertrand and Valery/Cedric every time.

38. Default

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    You obviously didn't see Danso at LB vs Bournemouth?! He was playing right in front of me, and was rightly hoiked off at HT. He's a CB or he's nothing at all. Bertrand and Valery/Cedric every time.
    Danso played right back against Bournemouth.

Danso is an awful FB. He's supposed to be a CB or DM. Maybe we'll see him play there one day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

40. Default

Everyone has scored against them, so we obviously won't.

Southampton 0 - =>1 Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfp1 View Post
    Everyone has scored against them, so we obviously won't.

Southampton 0 - =>1 Chelsea
    We pretty much always score, especially at home - the last time we didn't score at home was against Newcastle on the 27th October 2018. We've only not scored in one game this season - vs Burnley.

Unfortunately we always concede!

1-1, but Vestergaard gives up his usual 2, so final is 3-1 Chelsea

We may do ok in this game as they will attack us and we tend to do better against that tactic. We normally come unstuck against counter attack

Just seen the Chelsea line up for tonight, they’re resting Giroud for Sunday, he loves a goal or two at St Mary’s, can’t see anything but a defeat for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    We pretty much always score, especially at home - the last time we didn't score at home was against Newcastle on the 27th October 2018. We've only not scored in one game this season - vs Burnley.

Unfortunately we always concede!
    I don't think we can rely on tackling the keeper and Djenepo solo efforts for goals as a long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    Just seen the Chelsea line up for tonight, they’re resting Giroud for Sunday, he loves a goal or two at St Mary’s, can’t see anything but a defeat for us.
    He’ll be on the bench, Abraham will start.

He’ll still score though.

Gunn

Cedric (Valery if injured)
    Bednarek
    Yoshida
    Bertrand

Romeu
    Hojbjerg

Boufal
    Redmond
    JWP

Ings

As much as i would like to see Danso at CB and Adams at CF, Ralph has to go with the in form/more consistent players

Just seen the Chelsea line up for tonight, theyíre resting Giroud for Sunday, he loves a goal or two at St Maryís, canít see anything but a defeat for us.
    They've been "resting" Giroud all season. Tammy Abraham is their first choice striker now.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Regardless my point stands, whenever a game of football involves Southampton FC and Giroud there is only one inevitable outcome.

Did anyone watch their game last night? Good result for them away but hopefully stretched them and picked up a few knocks.
    Tickets have been on open general sale for ages, no doubt plenty of Chelsea fans in the home end.

Regardless my point stands, whenever a game of football involves Southampton FC and Giroud there is only one inevitable outcome.

Did anyone watch their game last night? Good result for them away but hopefully stretched them and picked up a few knocks.
    Tickets have been on open general sale for ages, no doubt plenty of Chelsea fans in the home end.
    Probably something to do with wanting £40+ for a game which is on TV. I think I must be getting old moaning about the price of stuff but that seems a bit daft to me.