Saints vs Chelsea - Build Up

Lighthouse

Going by Ralph's recent experiments, I can see him trying out Long as a front sweeper. He's quick so can cover the space in front of the whole defence, and good in the air so he can help out there as well. Maybe try Vestergaard up top as a target man while we're at it? Possibly Hojbjerg in goal, too? He's quite tall and his goal kicks would probably be about as effective as his forward passing usually is from midfield.

--------------Hojbjerg---------------

Valery--Bednarek---Yoshida--Bertrand

>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------JWP-----------Romeu--------

-------------Redmond---------------

----Vestergaard-------Ings----------

This cunning plan would completely subvert Lampard's expectations. 2-0 to us.

They are away in the Champions league on Wednesday night, not a long journey to Lille but they’ll need to put out a strong side having already lost first group game to Valencia.

It feels like we’re slipping back to the Pellegrino days where no one looked forward to home games as our form at St Mary’s is so bad, we could do with an encouraging performance and at least a point in this one.

They play decent football, without being a particularly good side. Think they'll pass round our midfield and they'll take their chances.

After a very poor performance vs Bournemouth, and one we should have got a result out of this weekend, we need a big performance from them on Sunday.

Would be tempted to stick McCarthy in as he's a better keeper. Valery to come in if Ralph/Cedric can't settle their differences. If we could just put this settled team out for a few weeks on the trott with no weird decisions (LB at RB, RB @ LB, CM @ LB, CB @ RB etc etc)

---------------------McCarthy/Gunn--------------------

Cedric (Valery), Bednarek - Yoshida --------Bertrand

-------------------JWP Romeu Hojbjerg----------------

----------Boufal-------------------------Redmond------

-------------------------Ings----------------------------

Assuming Djenepo is still injured, would have him off the bench for this one anyway, and to be brought on for Boufal probably in one of the more attacking positions.

I think we will do alright, we were pretty decent at home against Man Utd and Liverpool, unlucky IMO not to take more points from those games.

Chelsea will come to try and beat us I reckon, which will suit us, they play out from the back which will suit us, they are also a young inconsistent side, I think a good game that will come down to who takes their chances.

Going by Ralph's recent experiments, I can see him trying out Long as a front sweeper. He's quick so can cover the space in front of the whole defence, and good in the air so he can help out there as well. Maybe try Vestergaard up top as a target man while we're at it? Possibly Hojbjerg in goal, too? He's quite tall and his goal kicks would probably be about as effective as his forward passing usually is from midfield.

--------------Hojbjerg---------------

Valery--Bednarek---Yoshida--Bertrand

>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------JWP-----------Romeu--------

-------------Redmond---------------

----Vestergaard-------Ings----------

This cunning plan would completely subvert Lampard's expectations. 2-0 to us.

Why on earth would you go with two recognised full backs - ridiculous idea

After watching the Leicester game and how they destroyed a ten man Magpies we really do need to get our act together for this one. Is Ralph learning anything from his losing selections? If Denso and Valery are fit, there's your left and right. Keep Vestergaard on the bench and put Yoshie and Bednarek in the middle of those two and Armstrong instead of JWP. Chelsea, like Spurs, are there for the taking and it's about time we have a home win.

We aren't very good but we should have drawn with Liverpool, we should have beaten Man United and we should have got something at Spurs.

This isn't an easy game for Chelsea.

It may not be easy for Chelsea but as you’ve highlighted we only got one point for our troubles against those three.

I can't stand the smugness of over rated Lampard. I hope we wipe the smirk off his face. But sadly, we won't. I can only see another home defeat because I've lost complete trust in Ralph to pick the right team selection/tactics

Wouldn't say he's overrated at all - he's done very well so far and will be a much much better manager than a genuinely overrated Steven Gerrard IMO.

Have you see Lampard's teams play? They play some really decent stuff.

Anyway, as long as Yoshida and McCarthy play and Vestergaard and Gunn don't, I'll be happy.

After watching the Leicester game and how they destroyed a ten man Magpies we really do need to get our act together for this one. Is Ralph learning anything from his losing selections? If Denso and Valery are fit, there's your left and right. Keep Vestergaard on the bench and put Yoshie and Bednarek in the middle of those two and Armstrong instead of JWP. Chelsea, like Spurs, are there for the taking and it's about time we have a home win.

Errr not like that we won’t Ralph...

Bayern Munich just made short Shrift of an 11 man spurs team and defence and clearly showed up our lack of creativity and cutting edge which irrespective of our propensity to give away silly goals is going to be the key issue we need to overcome this year to improve on yet another relegation struggle.

We must not let a 4 -0 drubbing of a poor Pompey side hide the fact that we continue to struggle to create against many not so good but disciplined premiere sides.

Bayern Munich just made short Shrift of an 11 man spurs team and defence and clearly showed up our lack of creativity and cutting edge which irrespective of our propensity to give away silly goals is going to be the key issue we need to overcome this year to improve on yet another relegation struggle.

We must not let a 4 -0 drubbing of a poor Pompey side hide the fact that we continue to struggle to create against many not so good but disciplined premiere sides.

We definitely deserve to be compared with Bayern

You obviously didn't see Danso at LB vs Bournemouth?! He was playing right in front of me, and was rightly hoiked off at HT. He's a CB or he's nothing at all. Bertrand and Valery/Cedric every time.

You obviously didn't see Danso at LB vs Bournemouth?! He was playing right in front of me, and was rightly hoiked off at HT. He's a CB or he's nothing at all. Bertrand and Valery/Cedric every time.

Danso played right back against Bournemouth.

Danso is an awful FB. He's supposed to be a CB or DM. Maybe we'll see him play there one day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Everyone has scored against them, so we obviously won't.

Southampton 0 - =>1 Chelsea

We pretty much always score, especially at home - the last time we didn't score at home was against Newcastle on the 27th October 2018. We've only not scored in one game this season - vs Burnley.

Unfortunately we always concede!

We pretty much always score, especially at home - the last time we didn't score at home was against Newcastle on the 27th October 2018. We've only not scored in one game this season - vs Burnley.

Unfortunately we always concede!

I don't think we can rely on tackling the keeper and Djenepo solo efforts for goals as a long term plan.

Just seen the Chelsea line up for tonight, they’re resting Giroud for Sunday, he loves a goal or two at St Mary’s, can’t see anything but a defeat for us.

He’ll be on the bench, Abraham will start.

He’ll still score though.

Just seen the Chelsea line up for tonight, they’re resting Giroud for Sunday, he loves a goal or two at St Mary’s, can’t see anything but a defeat for us.
They've been "resting" Giroud all season. Tammy Abraham is their first choice striker now.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Regardless my point stands, whenever a game of football involves Southampton FC and Giroud there is only one inevitable outcome.

Did anyone watch their game last night? Good result for them away but hopefully stretched them and picked up a few knocks.

Tickets have been on open general sale for ages, no doubt plenty of Chelsea fans in the home end.

Regardless my point stands, whenever a game of football involves Southampton FC and Giroud there is only one inevitable outcome.

Did anyone watch their game last night? Good result for them away but hopefully stretched them and picked up a few knocks.

Tickets have been on open general sale for ages, no doubt plenty of Chelsea fans in the home end.

Probably something to do with wanting £40+ for a game which is on TV. I think I must be getting old moaning about the price of stuff but that seems a bit daft to me.

We aren't very good but we should have drawn with Liverpool, we should have beaten Man United and we should have got something at Spurs.

This isn't an easy game for Chelsea.

As mentioned, we play a lot of games that we ‘could’ have got something from, but we don’t because we’re so painfully un-ruthless. We’re a big old limp d*ck of a team.