What's your best saints XI using players since our PL return

norwaysaint

By that, I mean at their peak while playing in the PL for Saints, regardless of any slump after moving away or form they never reproduced after promotion.

For example, Lovren/Schneiderlin/Clyne was outstanding at Saints, less so after. Lambert possibly did his best work on the way up, rather than actually in the PL (but he probably still deserves the nod).

Would anyone still at the club get in?

Forster

Clyne - Alderweireld - Van Dijk - Bertrand

Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Tadic - Lallana - Mane

Lambert

(I think Lambert's 15 league goals in 12-13 is still our highest by a single player since our PL return and his only other season 13-14 saw him score 13 league goals, which is again higher than Pelle and Mane got in a single season. We'd kill for a Lambert these days, the man was a king.)

Anyone who's leaving Davis out is forgetting how we played when he was injured.

Duncan, goalkeeper and midfield are two areas where there are several candidates who it's almost impossible to choose between. You are right, Davis at his peak was like Marsden used to be: an unsung hero who made the rest of the team tick.

For me...

-----------Forster

Clyne Alderweireld VVD Shaw

------Morgan Wanyama

Mane-----Lallana------Tadic

-------------Pelle

Very tough on Lovren, Bertrand, Davis, J-Rod and Lambert. The team above would have a great chance of finishing top 6 IMO. Probably wouldn't be far off top 4, but as we know they would have never played together, so kind of irrelevant.

Duncan, goalkeeper and midfield are two areas where there are several candidates who it's almost impossible to choose between. You are right, Davis at his peak was like Marsden used to be: an unsung hero who made the rest of the team tick.

An unsung hero that everyone raves about. Doesn't make much sense does it? Davis was okay. Nothing more, nothing less. For every great game he had, he had two awful ones. I've always found his "underrated" tag to be ****ing tedious, especially since nearly everyone comes out with it, implying that people do indeed rate him. If anything, I found him to be overrated. A bit like PEH, can't question his attitude and probably worth a place in the squad just for that but can't rely on him because he's not that great.

(Steven, not Kelvin).

Very tough on Lovren, Bertrand, Davis, J-Rod and Lambert. The team above would have a great chance of finishing top 6 IMO. Probably wouldn't be far off top 4, but as we know they would have never played together, so kind of irrelevant.

Top six? I think most of the variations on this thread would win the League. Perhaps not the last two years with Liverpool and City being almost untouchable but that team is easily as good as the one Poch got to third.

An unsung hero that everyone raves about. Doesn't make much sense does it? Davis was okay. Nothing more, nothing less. For every great game he had, he had two awful ones. I've always found his "underrated" tag to be ****ing tedious, especially since nearly everyone comes out with it, implying that people do indeed rate him. If anything, I found him to be overrated. A bit like PEH, can't question his attitude and probably worth a place in the squad just for that but can't rely on him because he's not that great.

(Steven, not Kelvin).

The 'underrated' label annoyed me as well, but you are, er, underrating him. The Pochettino and Koeman teams (which all these dream XIs are based on) really couldn't transition or link attack and defence without him. You might be able to build a better system where he's not required, but in a 4-2-3-1 with the defensive mids we had, he's essential.

By that, I mean at their peak while playing in the PL for Saints, regardless of any slump after moving away or form they never reproduced after promotion.

For example, Lovren/Schneiderlin/Clyne was outstanding at Saints, less so after. Lambert possibly did his best work on the way up, rather than actually in the PL (but he probably still deserves the nod).

Would anyone still at the club get in?

Still our top scorer in any given season, with 15 goals, since we got back to the PL. No one else has even got close to that (though arguably all of Pelle's 11 were from open play) Jrod might well have beaten that in our second season up if hadn't been for that ACL.

McCarthy

Clyne Fonte VVD Shaw

Morgan Victor

Mane Tadic Djenepo

Lambert

I'm sticking Fonte in there because he was always the leadership at the back even if not as good as Toby you have to have a leader in the defense. Lambert because he is still our highest scorer, in our second stint in the PL, plus best peno taker we've ever had (along side MLT). And Djenepo is a bit of a wild card but I think we might have actually signed a gem he might not be at the top of his game yet but 2 cracking goals in 1.5 games is pretty good. Djenepo and Mane rotating with Tadic I reckon would be pretty epic.

It's very telling that McCarthy and Bertrand are the only players from from our current squad that anyone has included.

I don't think many are picking the Bertrand of today either.

I actually think Schneiderlin and Cork was a better pairing than Schneiderlin and Wanyama, but Wanyama was a better individual player and made us defensively very strong. Cork was the real under-rated player, rather than Davis, who people never shut up about. He was unlucky to lose his place while performing at PL level and really never doing much wrong, but there was no space to start all three.

It feels wrong to miss out Fonte as well, seeing as he was the ever present member of a superb few years in our defence.

I think Tadic was ineffective far to often, compared to Lallana who was pretty consistent and exciting to watch.

It's very telling that McCarthy and Bertrand are the only players from from our current squad that anyone has included.

Actually I included Djenepo probably jumping the gun a bit but I really like the look of the guy

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by doddisalegend