Take a trip across the water

Take a trip across the sea

If you're a pedestrian

You can go for free

On the woolston ferry

It doesn't go very fast

It wasn't built for comfort

It was built to last.

Woolston Ferry is not ever going to happen. Ever.

Since the days of the Ugly Inside people have tried to pretend it's our great lost song and if only we all learnt it our atmosphere would be significantly improved etc etc.

It's never caught on and it never will catch on, for these reasons

a) it is sh it

b) I'm past 40 and have no idea what the Ferry even was

c) utterly tinpot bumpkin anthem

d) not even tangentially connected to the club. Irrelevant.

e) championed by SISA-type freaks who say we simply must sing it before every game but don't have any actual reason why we should and why no one does now

f) been going since the late 80s and rarely ever hear anyone sing it home and away, ever, suggesting it's not the great lost classic some make it out to be

g) did I mention that it is utterly cringeworthy, embarrassing and, and I can't stress this enough, sh it.

Other than that I'm ambivalent about it.

Since the days of the Ugly Inside people have tried to pretend it's our great lost song and if only we all learnt it our atmosphere would be significantly improved etc etc.

a) it is sh it

e) championed by SISA-type freaks who say we simply must sing it before every game but don't have any actual reason why we should and why no one does now

f) been going since the late 80s and rarely ever hear anyone sing it home and away, ever, suggesting it's not the great lost classic some make it out to be

g) did I mention that it is utterly cringeworthy, embarrassing and, and I can't stress this enough, sh it.

I've been going since the start of the 70s and I've only heard it attempted once a long time ago, a handful singing this strange ditty, sounded like a bunch of folk singers.

It would also be a 'no' from me.

That youtube link probably comfirms why it's best left in the murky past. I've never heard it sung inside the ground but once, probably 30-odd years ago and on the rare occasion I went away on one of Foley's coaches, there was half a dozen drunkenly singing this. I guessed it must've been popular with the locals around Woolston but probably just something a bit strange to the rest of us.

That youtube link probably comfirms why it's best left in the murky past. I've never heard it sung inside the ground but once, probably 30-odd years ago and on the rare occasion I went away on one of Foley's coaches, there was half a dozen drunkenly singing this. I guessed it must've been popular with the locals around Woolston but probably just something a bit strange to the rest of us.

Thinking about it, Foley's coaches must have been more like 40 years ago. Jeez.

If we want on old song with proper links to Southampton then the Bells of St Mary's could do the trick (it's not actually a Christmas song, just became associated with it because of this version)

100% agree. A few of us having been talking about this for some time now. Through a couple of club contacts we have suggested it be but on the pre-match playlist, we have also suggested it to the Saints Voice Panel lot. No joy yet. The club should be all over this song, written about the church (bells) where Saints were formed the lyrics are good, love the mention of the sea. This would sound quality with a 1000 Saints fans belting it out at home games.

a) it is sh it

Lucky no one gives a sh it what you think then

I've heard Woolston Ferry sung a fair few times over the years. Problem is that not enough people know all the words so it generally runs out of steam quite quickly.

Like the fact it's unique to us. There's plenty of songs knocking about that other fans sing which have no relevance to football.

I think are good gutsy roar is as good as a sing-song, that's something you rarely get in stadiums these days. Shear noise makes the hairs stand up on my neck, the barrage of noise that drove a team forward when attacking or when getting a corner that could wilt a few legs in the visiting defence.

The singing and chanting is pretty poor these days but the long spells of near silence and polite clapping takes away one of the biggest elements of watching live football. So many slag the team but 'supporters' need to get involved and do their bit.

Used to love the "roar" at the Dell to drive the team forward, always found it weird it never transitioned to St Mary's. At times at the Dell it felt like the "roar" came from every corner of the ground too.

Does everyone have to whistle at the end?

Given we can't clap in time half the time if we tried to whistle it'd just sound like we were wanting the game to end!

I've heard Woolston Ferry sung a fair few times over the years. Problem is that not enough people know all the words so it generally runs out of steam quite quickly.

Like the fact it's unique to us. There's plenty of songs knocking about that other fans sing which have no relevance to football.

Don't know why but it seems a really divisive song, know plenty of folk who love it and plenty who hate it. Never really got the hate myself, personally enjoy it but like you say most people don't know the words.

The B Side it's great to be back in Southampton is good too, the chorus would work really well as a song for us.

My great-grand-parents did their courting at the Dell (in the 1920's!)

My parents are Warsash post-war

I lived in Hamble/Netley from 1970-75

I've never known it as anything other than 'the floating bridge'.

I've never heard 'Woolston Ferry' other than in this song.

Did our family get it so very wrong?

It wasn't really a bridge was it? I guess technically, it was a ferry.

Don't really know why it was called the floating bridge.

Was known as the Floating Bridge to all locals of SO19

There was another Itchen Ferry that went from the village of Itchen/Peartree to the west side years ago

I think a lot of it is to do with the offensive nature of our songs

Yellows - Tanadri Lee blames this racist song for his fallure to live up to his world class potential whilst here. It's obviously having an effect on Yoshida

The Hojberg song - Any coincidence his form has dipped since he's constantly reminded of having to flee Germany?

Get your fathers gun - Not only condoning what can only be described as acts of terrorism it Also it assumes our fathers have gun licences which if they don't is also breaking the law

And don't even get me start on Oh When the Saints go marching in, offensive to all other religions and athiests around the world.

We need to come up with some inclusive songs which reflect our position as an inclusive club who just love any chance we can get for some virtue signalling.

The atmosphere at matches on our rise back to the PL was fantastic, especially away. Probably due to the fact we were winning every week. We had some good songs for players and the classics like ‘up the football league we go’, now we don’t have many players worth singing about and the performances are generally poor, not surprising the singing stopped. In desperate need of some new songs but seems impossible to get any going, let’s hope the noisy lads block works...

In desperate need of some new songs but seems impossible to get any going, let’s hope the noisy lads block works...

I'm not sure we should get behind it if it's just lads, it should be the noisy lads, lasses, men, women, non binary and people that identify as bits of cardboard block.

Also our songs need to not be offensive and directly refer to Southampton, as well as not being new (or too old).

It's as simple as that.

I'm not sure we should get behind it if it's just lads, it should be the noisy lads, lasses, men, women, non binary and people that identify as bits of cardboard block.

Also our songs need to not be offensive and directly refer to Southampton, as well as not being new (or too old).

It's as simple as that.

Correct now we are getting somewhere.

The noisy lads might be the problem. They are probably intimidating the women, LGBT and monitory groups from starting songs thinking groups of drunken lads would laugh at them.

Maybe we could do a modern twist the old east side/west side Milton song?

We’re non binary, non baniary, non binary over here

We’re the women, the women, the women over

We’re LGBTs, LGBT, LGBT over here etc etc

Correct now we are getting somewhere.

The noisy lads might be the problem. They are probably intimidating the women, LGBT and monitory groups from starting songs thinking groups of drunken lads would laugh at them.

Maybe we could do a modern twist the old east side/west side Milton song?

We’re non binary, non baniary, non binary over here

We’re the women, the women, the women over

We’re LGBTs, LGBT, LGBT over here etc etc

Would get confusing if there's a reidentification mid-song though. Also excludes mutes which is not acceptable.

Would get confusing if there's a reidentification mid-song though. Also excludes mutes which is not acceptable.

They could sign and the next minority group to go would learn sign language which would mean the song is not only inclusive but educational. With 68 different ways to Identify these says I reckon we could keep this going for 90

Minutes

Left my home in Hampshire

Heading from the Weston Bay

I've got nothing to live for

And nothings gonna go my way

Ooooh

Sitting on dock of the bay

Watching the tide roll away

Sitting on the dock of the bay

Wasting tiiiimmme

Like this, good work.

Yesterday we had the worst atmosphere at St Mary's in my memory, there were people videoing Abraham when he scored, people staying behind for selfies with the players of the team that had just smashed us after the game, half half scarves everywhere and tourists in every end of the ground.

Surely now we have to accept something is wrong and do something about it instead of burying our head in the sand as saying how great it all is?