Can you hear the Saints fans sing?

TakingSandbanks

The crapness of our away support vocally has been a big discussion on that Twitter since Saturday. For once a few of our lot have got off their arses and are trying to do something. A twitter account has been set up by fans to assist in getting the core of the louder supporters together at away games. It's not been set up to alienate people, or for the creation of a Ultra style group with tin foil and a spotty 'Capo' called Nigel. Its just there to try and improve the atmosphere and give people a choice. It will advertise the 'singing' block(s) on or before ticket release.

Follow @saintsawaybloc1

This is a last resort but anyone at the game on Saturday will know something needs to be done.

we need something to cheer/sing about first. Improvements on the pitch will result in louder Saints fans

Yup,

And also would be nice if not every song was about Pompey, it's boring.

And if we don't have some fans that just drown out all others with crap songs like Dock of the Bay, like at Sheffield United, that would be nice.

we need something to cheer/sing about first. Improvements on the pitch will result in louder Saints fans

Even in the good old day, success bred support. Our noisiest ever away support was in the late 70s because we'd just won the Cup, reaching its zenith in January 1977 at the City Ground when we played Forest in the FA Cup. In 1973/74, when we were getting relegated and the euphoria of being a new club in the top flight had worn off, it wasn't very good.

Why do we? Fans around the world make a right racket even without success on the pitch. Even that 6 fingered lot down the road can do it at times.

It's not hard to just join in even if things aren't going our way on the pitch.

Why do we? Fans around the world make a right racket even without success on the pitch. Even that 6 fingered lot down the road can do it at times.

It's not hard to just join in even if things aren't going our way on the pitch.

Have you ever been to Fratton Park for one of their regular league games? I have and the atmosphere was dire.

Anyway, we're talking about away support so before you get taken in by their hype have a look at the reality:

Yup,

And also would be nice if not every song was about Pompey, it's boring.

And if we don't have some fans that just drown out all others with crap songs like Dock of the Bay, like at Sheffield United, that would be nice.

Agree about the Pompey songs. Our support must be really crap if its being drowned out by four blokes singing Dock of the Bay :lol:

Out of interest what songs would you like to hear being sung as I am sure those fellas would take requests

Agree about the Pompey songs. Our support must be really crap if its being drowned out by four blokes singing Dock of the Bay :lol:

Out of interest what songs would you like to hear being sung as I am sure those fellas would take requests

Don't really understand the issue with the dock of the bay thing, but don't know the words. Have to be honest our repertoire is a bit bland at the moment, seems to just be yellows or OWTS, something a bit different wouldn't go amiss. Mind you it's hard to pick up new songs because you can't hear what's being sung a lot of the time.

Don't really understand the issue with the dock of the bay thing,

1. It's a crap song

2. Seems to be about 4 words with a repetitive tune.

3. It's nothing to do with Southampton

People sung it at Fulham and everyone was ignoring them and trying to start other songs, same thing happened at Sheff Utd.

I do agree we don't have a huge amount of songs at the moment, but we have enough IMO. We rarely sing many of them, normally just sing OWTS.

Don't really understand the issue with the dock of the bay thing, but don't know the words. Have to be honest our repertoire is a bit bland at the moment, seems to just be yellows or OWTS, something a bit different wouldn't go amiss. Mind you it's hard to pick up new songs because you can't hear what's being sung a lot of the time.

The dock of the bay thing is a distraction from the real issue. I know some of those that sing it and at the Sheffield United game in the second half they went back to Saints Support 101 with just yellows, OWTS etc Still no one joined in and it was the same on Saturday. Why is it a lot of support are not willing to sing OWTS, chant Southampton/COYR when we have a corner or roar the team on?

1. It's a crap song

People sung it at Fulham and everyone was ignoring them and trying to start other songs, same thing happened at Sheff Utd.

I do agree we don't have a huge amount of songs at the moment, but we have enough IMO. We rarely sing many of them, normally just sing OWTS.

What's wrong with a repetitive tune? United make a f*cking racket with theirs and drown everyone else out because of it.

As for enough, we really don't, as far as i can work out it's about 2 songs sung away from home, with maybe 1 or 2 others sung occasionally, our repertoire as the worst i can remember in my lifetime (going back to the early 80s)

I think are good gutsy roar is as good as a sing-song, that's something you rarely get in stadiums these days. Shear noise makes the hairs stand up on my neck, the barrage of noise that drove a team forward when attacking or when getting a corner that could wilt a few legs in the visiting defence.

The singing and chanting is pretty poor these days but the long spells of near silence and polite clapping takes away one of the biggest elements of watching live football. So many slag the team but 'supporters' need to get involved and do their bit.

1. It's a crap song

Take out it is a Soul classic with more words than four :lol: It has been changed to be a Southampton song and if you listen to the words it really reflects bring a mush.

But that's just one song - what other Saints songs do you want to hear? and why is it that people will not even sing OWTS?

I think are good gutsy roar is as good as a sing-song, that's something you rarely get in stadiums these days. Shear noise makes the hairs stand up on my neck, the barrage of noise that drove a team forward when attacking or when getting a corner that could wilt a few legs in the visiting defence.

The singing and chanting is pretty poor these days but the long spells of near silence and polite clapping takes away one of the biggest elements of watching live football. So many slag the team but 'supporters' need to get involved and do their bit.

Agree. People are focusing to much on songs. Some of the best Saints atmospheres have the least singing. Just a roar.

What's wrong with a repetitive tune? United make a f*cking racket with theirs and drown everyone else out because of it.

As for enough, we really don't, as far as i can work out it's about 2 songs sung away from home, with maybe 1 or 2 others sung occasionally, our repertoire as the worst i can remember in my lifetime (going back to the early 80s)

Though United were very poor when they came down earlier this season, suggesting the quality of football makes a difference, not just the demographics of the fanbase.

Though United were very poor when they came down earlier this season, suggesting the quality of football makes a difference, not just the demographics of the fanbase.

I agree they were quieter than usual but definitely the best away fans in the prem.

Fans that want to sing all in one block is a good idea!

Bollo x. Some of the best aways I’ve been to have been when we’ve been ****!

If you only want to support us when we’re winning then stay at home and I’d suggest supporting saints isn’t for you.

I like the idea of this. At least he’s tried something.

Bollo x. Some of the best aways I’ve been to have been when we’ve been ****!

If you only want to support us when we’re winning then stay at home and I’d suggest supporting saints isn’t for you.

I like the idea of this. At least he’s tried something.

Nottingham forest away in our championship relegation season was the best away day I've ever been to. We were already relegated and we had a massive p*ss up and party all weekend. Legendary.

Said the same as BIB every time this topic comes up. Atmosphere doesn't have to be just about songs, encouraging/intimidating "noise" would have far more efffect on our players and the opposition than a simple sing-a-long. Get behind the day, frighten the opposition, don't just sit on your hands and wait to gently applaud something after it happens

Also said many times think of any song that any club sings that gets the whole ground joining in. They are always slower songs with drawn out notes that enables others around the ground to work out what's being sung and gives them the chance to join in. (Our retro slower version of OWTSGMI case in point). Too many of ours are sung at a rapid machine gun speed and are over before they've got going.

Nottingham forest away in our championship relegation season was the best away day I've ever been to. We were already relegated and we had a massive p*ss up and party all weekend. Legendary.

Not surprising the support was good. The club was on the brink and had its back against the wall. It’s a bit different when the club is bumping along in mediocrity without either of the extremes to energise the fanbase.

Not surprising the support was good. The club was on the brink and had its back against the wall. It’s a bit different when the club is bumping along in mediocrity without either of the extremes to energise the fanbase.
Tbf the lack of ambition shown by our owner or the lack of a unifying villain does make it much more difficult to generate an atmosphere.

Said the same as BIB every time this topic comes up. Atmosphere doesn't have to be just about songs, encouraging/intimidating "noise" would have far more efffect on our players and the opposition than a simple sing-a-long. Get behind the day, frighten the opposition, don't just sit on your hands and wait to gently applaud something after it happens

Also said many times think of any song that any club sings that gets the whole ground joining in. They are always slower songs with drawn out notes that enables others around the ground to work out what's being sung and gives them the chance to join in. (Our retro slower version of OWTSGMI case in point). Too many of ours are sung at a rapid machine gun speed and are over before they've got going.

100% agree. The 'knock knock' version of OWTS is the best for trying to get as many people to join in. Now being in my 40's I am not sure I can hold the notes as long as when I was a nipper on the Milton though :scared:

1. It's a crap song

Not sure what people’s issues are with the dock of the bay song, as one of the people singing it it was an attempt to start something different and genuinely unique to Saints,

But seeing as people seem confused, it directly mentions Southampton, the first two lines are,

Left my home in Hampshire,

Headed from the Weston Bay

It’s supposed to be repetitive, the same way a lot of other clubs have those rolling songs that build up atmosphere and **** off the home support to drown them out.

As for having to directly reference a player etc. then if that’s the case how come FCUM sing On Top Of The World (a carpenters tune) and it sounds class,

How come Stoke sing Delilah,

How come West Ham sing Bubbles,

How come Newcastle sing the Blaydon Races

All we’re trying to do is do something a little different, and to have a new song that is about Southampton, about the fact we’re a Dock City (something we don’t make enough of) and also use a tune no other club in the world has used.

Instead of just singing about Pompey all the time, or nicking another song from United/Liverpool etc.

Not sure what people’s issues are with the dock of the bay song, as one of the people singing it it was an attempt to start something different and genuinely unique to Saints,

But seeing as people seem confused, it directly mentions Southampton, the first two lines are,

It’s supposed to be repetitive, the same way a lot of other clubs have those rolling songs that build up atmosphere and **** off the home support to drown them out.

As for having to directly reference a player etc. then if that’s the case how come FCUM sing On Top Of The World (a carpenters tune) and it sounds class,

All we’re trying to do is do something a little different, and to have a new song that is about Southampton, about the fact we’re a Dock City (something we don’t make enough of) and also use a tune no other club in the world has used.

Instead of just singing about Pompey all the time, or nicking another song from United/Liverpool etc.

Another favourite of mine (not suggesting we copy it) that has nothing to do with the team, a player or even football but still sounds great (and unique)

Unless you have the same people in the same areas at each game sometimes the singers get mixed with the less vocal. Im sure the volume will be the same to fans at other parts of the ground and its only perception that there is no atmosphere in our end. Our fans are as good as any and it is annoying that we are even having this conversation. They always can be heard at games and it is pretty insulting to our travelling support tht such things are said.

Post the full lyrics then for perusal please. Let's be having you.

The crapness of our away support vocally has been a big discussion on that Twitter since Saturday. For once a few of our lot have got off their arses and are trying to do something. A twitter account has been set up by fans to assist in getting the core of the louder supporters together at away games. It's not been set up to alienate people, or for the creation of a Ultra style group with tin foil and a spotty 'Capo' called Nigel. Its just there to try and improve the atmosphere and give people a choice. It will advertise the 'singing' block(s) on or before ticket release.

Follow @saintsawaybloc1

This is a last resort but anyone at the game on Saturday will know something needs to be done.

Is this anything to do with 'Northam Celebrity' Hat K ^nt and his bunch ?

Follow @saintsawaybloc1

Surely it didn't help when the North London Yobbos started singing their version of our song much louder than we could sing ours by sheer weight of numbers. Likely that many job our fans just gave up in frustration. You could here OWTS over the TV commentary from our people mostly in the first half.

Surely it didn't help when the North London Yobbos started singing their version of our song much louder than we could sing ours by sheer weight of numbers. Likely that many job our fans just gave up in frustration. You could here OWTS over the TV commentary from our people mostly in the first half.

When did they do that?

Left my home in Hampshire

Heading from the Weston Bay

I've got nothing to live for

And nothings gonna go my way

Ooooh

Sitting on dock of the bay

Watching the tide roll away

Sitting on the dock of the bay

Wasting tiiiimmme

Does everyone have to whistle at the end?

Take out it is a Soul classic with more words than four :lol: It has been changed to be a Southampton song and if you listen to the words it really reflects bring a mush.

But that's just one song - what other Saints songs do you want to hear? and why is it that people will not even sing OWTS?

I do think 'sitting on Dock Gate 4' would be more appropriate mush :lol:

Left my home in Hampshire

Heading from the Weston Bay

I've got nothing to live for

And nothings gonna go my way

Ooooh

Sitting on dock of the bay

Watching the tide roll away

Sitting on the dock of the bay

Wasting tiiiimmme

Not sure its going to take off mate, you seen the morons that sing it?

Good on you. I like it but I've got to confess I haven't rushed to join in because I wasn't sure if it was some sort of inside joke.