Things that make you feel old

whelk

Fair enough. When I saw them they were supporting Pink Floyd!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wow! That was value for money. From memory they had not long changed from being a hippy duo Tyrannosaurus Rex to poppy electric band T. Rex. Lots of screaming girls in the audience S they just had a hit with Ride A White Swan. My next live gig was Deep Purple which looks much better on the CV.

• 2 months later...

Driving home this evening, the radio played "School's Out" by Alice Cooper, a record I bought, aged 12, when it came out in 1972. I pointed out to my wife that a 12 year old today, on hearing that record, would be the equivalent of us in 1972 listening to a tune recorded in 1925.

Driving home this evening, the radio played "School's Out" by Alice Cooper, a record I bought, aged 12, when it came out in 1972. I pointed out to my wife that a 12 year old today, on hearing that record, would be the equivalent of us in 1972 listening to a tune recorded in 1925.

I just had a similar experience. I am on an ELP appreciation site and tonight someone posted a Melody Maker review from their gig at the Hammersmith Odeon in December 1972 which I attended. I was 18 at the time and remember it like yesterday. Where does the time go?

Two things.

I had a birthday recently. I told some of the younger members of staff that I was now of an age where every summer I could rent a cottage on the Isle of Wight, if it’s not too dear. I was met with looks of utter bewilderment.

Yesterday I visited my local library and on the counter were takeaway copies of a freebie newspaper called “Mature Times, the voice of our generation”. I picked up a copy without hesitation.

• 1 month later...

Saw the Doctor this morning, they are a proactive practice, get you in for an MOT and check over before you've gone wonky.

Doctor asked how I was, I said I had a spot of sciatica since last Tuesday evening taken a bloody age to go, normally sleep and its gone. Cheeky bugger just said you're getting older and as that happens bits of you just wear out!

So its not just "Things that make you feel old", bloody medical professional officially confirming it to you!!

Saw the Doctor this morning, they are a proactive practice, get you in for an MOT and check over before you've gone wonky.

Doctor asked how I was, I said I had a spot of sciatica since last Tuesday evening taken a bloody age to go, normally sleep and its gone. Cheeky bugger just said you're getting older and as that happens bits of you just wear out!

So its not just "Things that make you feel old", bloody medical professional officially confirming it to you!!

Went to my doctor for the first time in a decade because I had 4 months of feeling nauseous every time I ate anything and was losing weight fast. He basically shrugged and said "what do you expect me to do about it?" :lol:

Fortunately it got better by itself.

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Saw this fact today, fucking hell!!!!!!

E40D121F-0EF4-4573-A16A-DF7D736546AA.jpeg

Fuck knows how anyone would think that was remotely astonishing.

Abbey Road was released 24 years after the war, so that fact has been true since the mid nineties, nearly thirty years ago.  

Edited by CB Fry

Sorry I take it all back, I can see it says WW1. I'll leave my posts up and you can all laugh. However, still not really that astonishing as WW1 was more than 100 years ago and everyone in it is dead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Sorry I take it all back, I can see it says WW1. I'll leave my posts up and you can all laugh. However, still not really that astonishing as WW1 was more than 100 years ago and everyone in it is dead. 

Yes, sadly they pass away. My mother was born in 1919 and she is still going and her former neighbour is now 108 so there are a very few witnesses still around.

I was born in 1949 and the Second World War was very recent. Lots of bombsites around, spent bullets all over our local mudflats and, if you knew where to look and when, flakes of cordite washing up in the surf. There was a shipwreck off Felixstowe of a collier that had hit a mine and a crashed Liberator in the marshes near Parkeston Quay.

My father, born in 1918, had two brothers who had fought in WW1.

What makes me feel old?

Indoor toilets

Bathrooms

Refrigerators

Washing machines

Central heating

Television, black and white 

Television, colour

Plastic footballs

Cars

Cars that start in any weather

Bicycle tyres that you don’t have to pump up every day.

Realising that we won the World Cup after I first met my wife.

Celebrating our Golden Wedding last year.

When your eight year old grandson asks you what calculus is.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I read it as WW2 and was underwhelmed as well.

• 1 year later...
On 15/04/2023 at 11:43, Lighthouse said:

It’s 13 years ago today that the eruption of Ejfujfirrriefuloyullourerefooollferederrwseryylouedeueueloooo closed the entirety of European airspace for a couple of weeks.

Known as E15 in geography lessons.

On 15/04/2023 at 03:28, buctootim said:

You know you're getting old when you see that pic and hope the white Beetle got a ticket for parking on the pavement. 

Maybe the driver did, and took it to court.

"There's no evidence I parked on the pavement, your honour."

• 7 months later...
On 09/01/2020 at 20:53, sadoldgit said:

I just had a similar experience. I am on an ELP appreciation site and tonight someone posted a Melody Maker review from their gig at the Hammersmith Odeon in December 1972 which I attended. I was 18 at the time and remember it like yesterday. Where does the time go?

Saw Keith Emerson in The Nice at Southampton Guildhall a couple of years earlier.

On 15/04/2023 at 11:43, Turkish said:

All the Beatles were white, you racist 

Wait until you see Netflix’s remake of “Hard days night”, I was reading about it the other  night. 

John is being played by Idris Elba. Halle Berry is in the frame to play Ringo, but they’re still casting for the George role. Only Brown skinned Muslims in a wheelchair are being considered at the moment. Paul is being played by a white actor though, Eddie Izzard got that part. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Wait until you see Netflix’s remake of “Hard days night”, I was reading about it the other  night. 

John is being played by Idris Elba. Halle Berry is in the frame to play Ringo, but they’re still casting for the George role. Only Brown skinned Muslims in a wheelchair are being considered at the moment. Paul is being played by a white actor though, Eddie Izzard got that part. 

You could write gags for Geoff Norcott.