The Hundred: Southern Brave 2020 Season

Picard

Gets off to an exciting start today with the announcement of an England player (we have first choice on Archer) plus 2 local icons (from Hants or Sussex). Vince should have a good chance of selection. Crane or Dawson must be under consideration. The main draft follows on 20th October.

Scrap that... just seen contracted players (ie Archer) will only play 3 group games plus the final if the team makes it. Also seen that we’ve been paired with Cardiff as “rivals” XD

As much as I’m supportive of the idea, not having the countries best players available at all times, as well as having some poor naming of teams that exclude the counties who don’t have a team (Welsh, Manchester, Birmingham) seems a strange way to go about the competition imo

I'm not a keen cricket follower but have seen about'The 100' in the press,and just read a bit on the BBC. Can one of you keen cricket followers tell me:

Is this the end of County cricket ? Or is that just suspended for the duration of the 100 tournament ?

How did they select the cities to compete, why for example nothing in Bristol ? (A Saints v Pompey might have offered cricket an entirely new dynamic).

Are the cities here to stay, or is this likely to rotate, so Bristol, Brighton, Newcastle, wherever are involved in future ?

Sorry might seem daft questions, but I'm a cricketing simpleton to be honest.

I'm not a keen cricket follower but have seen about'The 100' in the press,and just read a bit on the BBC. Can one of you keen cricket followers tell me:

Is this the end of County cricket ? Or is that just suspended for the duration of the 100 tournament ?

How did they select the cities to compete, why for example nothing in Bristol ? (A Saints v Pompey might have offered cricket an entirely new dynamic).

Are the cities here to stay, or is this likely to rotate, so Bristol, Brighton, Newcastle, wherever are involved in future

Sorry might seem daft questions, but I'm a cricketing simpleton to be honest.

I think the teams will stay as six regional teams. North, South, Wales, London etc. I think the want to avoid any football connotations. i.e. if there was a Portsmouth team, but no Southampton team, no Southampton fans would go to a team called Portsmouth...& theres not that many cricket fans to go round , unlike football, so they couldn't really have separate Southampton & Pompey teams. Plus where would Portsmouth play?

I think it will enhance county cricket, by pumping money into it, and getting more kids involved. The Rose Bowl should be close to a sellout each match. You get about 10k there now and loads of those wouldn't know their Vince from their Sam Northeast. Chuck Jofra Archer , Stokes and Kohl into the mix and people will be well up for it. The cricket purists I speak to hate the idea.

It's a new game based on the skills and laws of cricket, but how many variations on the short form do we need ? There's T20, ( 120 balls per side), and now the Hundred, ( 100 balls per side ). How long before somebody tries to introduce a 60 ball format ?

• 3 weeks later...