Saints 1 Chelsea 4 Post match meltdown

Ohio Saint

We didn't even put up a fight this game. Pathetic from the players and the manager.

This club has no ambition, it's been clear for everyone to see since Koeman was allowed to go to Everton. Our home record has been ****ing abysmal since 2017. We will continue to limp on under Gao until we go down and then a financial ****storm is exactly what we will have once we fall into the Championship.

Woeful performance.. third goal for Chelsea knocked the wind out of our sails.. what really annoyed me was the lack of fight and creativity second half.. and Ralph just sits back watching clearly seeing we are carrying zero threat and does nothing to change it up until it’s far too late

That midfield is dire. All the worshipping of Hoj is a nonsense and JWP lack of anything is appalling. We need to do something special to change things. Try Slattery and Danso perhaps their energy of youth may Ings up. Obefemi is poor and I can’t see why he was brought on. Surely it should have been Boufal and so we could stretch on both wings.

i an Nathan’s biggest fan but he wasn’t right today.

Danny ings, excellent. Scored one, two decent efforts after that on pathetic service. Ralph’s response sub him. Sends a great message, play get hooked.

Romeu worked his socks off.

Gunn, made one save in the 2nd half. Awful for one goal, could have done better for 2 more. Time to step down to cup keeper for a bit.

I really want to know if Ralph was happy minimizing the loss at 3-1, as looking on that seemed the plan of the 2nd half.

Not sure how jwp played 90 minutes again. Barring the cross for ings in 2nd half it just wasn’t happening for him.

Worrying times. Just fortunate through a mixture of djenpro and other teams incompetence we have 7 points on the board.

Suicidal pressing!

Ralph’s setting the players up to make sure you win the ball before the opposition get it.

Check out the 3rd goal and that’s your problem. 6 players try to win it and then it played into space for Chelsea to counter and finish us off.

Okay let’s supposing we did win the pressing, we only win it back and play sideways football which gives the opposition time to regroup.

Why not let Chelsea have the ball but make sure defenders go with the runners while the nearest Saints player tries to win it back?

iMHO I’m beginning to think that Ralph’s asst that left at the start of the season was the brains behind the team.

The St Mary's jinx goes on.

Jinx there is no jinx just poor player selection no energy or creativity in the team RH

Midfield too defensive minded to slow going forward to support our front line Hoj and JWP just not up to premier standard midfielders no pace no skill not really any good

RH start being attacking minded with team selection or leave I suggest 442 lets at least give the players a chance of some sort of result

Sorry, but for me we are just a dreadful team at this level Ralph or no Ralph. We've taken 2 absolute batterings at home in a row. We throw goals away time and again, we create nowhere near enough chances to compensate for this, and we take nowhere near enough of those chances. We have a wafer thin squad that's going to be shown up even more when the injuries inevitably kick in. It's all about hoping there's 3 more dreadful teams than us and I'm really not sure there are this season. What a ****ing depressing state of affairs when you consider where we were pre-Puel (not saying it's his fault to be clear) and we were being openly touted as "the best of the rest".

We have been set up as a team with an ambition to finish between 15th and 17th and this plan started taking place some years ago.

It is risky and can alienate the fans but has so far been successful with the cash coming in with the minimum outlay. A good business model.

The model also worked on the principle of the promotion of at least two weaker teams. Villa and Sheffield might confound this and we have to hope that their place is taken by Norwich, Watford and Newcastle.

Didn't see much of the game but some seriously worrying signs. Good start, concede either brilliant or lucky goal, depending on your opinion (but Gunn was a mess), static defence for their second.

Got back into it, then concede weakly before half time. How many times has that happened recently? Maybe unlucky again, but even with the deflection Gunn should have done better. Time for McCarthy, if fit.

But the second half was alarming. No energy or creativity. Chasing the game and no Boufal until 80 mins. Why not Boufal and Adams/Obafemi on 60 mins? Think Ralph is badly missing an experienced assistant.

I hate to say it but we may have to go back to three CBs. And we need Cedric back. And Djenepo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

First half we created some chances, Redmond hit the side netting and Ings had one cleared off the line, but after the Kante shot deflected into the top corner, we were ****e.

Gunn needs to be rested, and we need to pick a shape were the 2 central midfield both protect the defense. Yet again you could drive a bus down our right hand side for their 3rd goal. Vallery was out of position for that, but he was left 2 one 1 so often in the match. Where the **** was mr 2 good free kicks a season JWP ?

It is going to be another hard slog.

( Positives )

We played well for 5 minutes........ Started the game with intent and purpose and go at them from the get go. ( Then they scored and our heads dropped )

Yann Valery I thought he has a good ability to beat a man more than our midfielders..... maybe we should play him on the wing?

Danny Ings took goal well and looked like one of the only ones who cared.....

Redmond energetic again looked like only one of the players with attacking intent.

( Negatives )

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg cannot pass a football....

Ward Prowse Yes according to commentators can add extra swerve on a football when taking a corner but what else does he offer? to lightweight cannot beat a man.....

Angus Gunn never have rated him dress it up how you want he should not be in goal he is woeful and makes me panic every time he tries to play it out from the back.

Che Adams cameo role but from what I saw this guy has no first touch or ball control.

Subs in general you are 2 goals behind in a game why the hell would you wait until the last 10 minutes to introduce our most creative outlet? ( Boufal ) I would of switched things up at half time......

Since Ralph has lost he's number 2 I think he is being found out!

Our Squad looked very fragile overall and Analyzing Ralph on the touch line he looked very angry / disinterested.... maybe i'm reading to much into it?

Overall crap......

Worst performance I've seen in a while ( which is saying something after the cross we've been served up) this was up with a MoPe performance.

I've kind of accepted are players are mostly ****e but under Ralph at least they've grafted and fought. Today they couldn't even be arsed to do that they just didn't show up.

The reality of it is apart from Long (and Gunn depending on your point of view) that was probably our best team, on paper, and it really isn't very good.

I'm not really sure how we can improve either. Ralph brought hard work and a simple gameplan to a very limited squad last season which was enough to keep us up but the squad is still limited and huff and puff will only get you do far.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

After first 10 minutes we never looked like winning that, which is pretty much what I expected. Problem is they never really got out of second gear, you could see their goals coming 10 seconds before they went in. Totally outclassed all over the park, never got close to them, major gulf in ability, gonna be a long hard season, not sure we've got anywhere near enough to survive.

Goals win games, and let's face it, our so called strike force is woeful, Ings will get the occasional goal, Long and Obafemi are nowhere near good at this level, Chey could play for another 100 games and I wouldn't back him to score. It's going to be a long hard season of relegation dogfight, again.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

Let’s get things straight, this was utter rubbish and every player and member of the coaching staff should be ashamed.

The problem is we have a poor squad and this will take years to change. Les and Ross are to blame for this and thankfully one has left and another might be going very soon. Once Wilson has left we have a opportunity to bring someone in with a short and long term vision. Someone who knows the world of football and has a good track record at other clubs.

If I am correct we have an international break coming up. Might be a good idea for Ralph and the players to go on a training camp in the south of Europe. Get their heads straight, work on the problems on the pitch and come back fighting.

The same old rubbish game after game after game. Whatever the formation, whatever the team, it is the same old rubbish. Looks like another season of getting the odd win in 10 if we catch the opposition on a bad day and hoping there are three teams going to screw it up more than us. Another wasted summer of buying players for the future when it has been clear for three years that we need players for now. Management of the club from top to bottom is pathetic and we need to get rid of Gao to have any chance of recovery in any area. This team deserves to go down and it is just a matter of time until that happens. No positives and no light at the end of the tunnel for this team. It is just such a waste of time. The team has gone backwards from the end of last season, and that is some achievement in itself.

One of the main factors of my life is that I never lay blame. It's far too easy. Have a look at the 'responsibility' and a different conclusion will evolve. Today's responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of the Manager. He trains the team, he selects the team and from what I can see makes little contribution in motivating the team. The Captain has to make the decisions and guidance of the players on the pitch. Who is the captain? I see little or no leadership. All players are born with two feet. Redmond has one! Goalkeepers have two hands. Gunn doesn't appear to know where his are. Overall a pathetic non performance which demonstrated how mediocre Saints really are. In over 60 years of supporting Saints I cannot recall such a low period in my enthusiasm. Championship? Bit early yet but it's certainly an option.

The chopping and changing has hit every area except the one it needs to hit. I'd keep Romeu but at least one of PEH and JWP needs to sit for a while; unfortunately they're the first names on Ralph's team sheet.

I'm certainly not a JWP hater but he was abysmal today - creating nothing, giving it away in bad places, and offering little from set pieces. PEH used to drive forward, but now he hangs back in no mans land, getting bypassed with ease.

I'm okay with the back four he fielded today, although Valery gets positionally lost too often and Bertrand still seems almost disinterested.

Up front we have some options but they need the ball earlier if they're to do any damage. The ball won't come earlier with PEH and JWP in midfield.

The performance was dreadful but even more worrying was the abject surrender.

Jinx there is no jinx just poor player selection no energy or creativity in the team RH

Midfield too defensive minded to slow going forward to support our front line Hoj and JWP just not up to premier standard midfielders no pace no skill not really any good

RH start being attacking minded with team selection or leave I suggest 442 lets at least give the players a chance of some sort of result

The midfield are anything but defensive they are to slow to get forward to support an attack and to slow to get back to help the defence.

Thier lack of pace means they just loiter in the middle of the pitch and trying to look busy before attempting (and failing) a 5 yard pass to a team mate.

The midfield are anything but defensive they are to slow to get forward to support an attack and to slow to get back to help the defence.

Thier lack of pace means they just loiter in the middle of the pitch and trying to look busy before attempting (and failing) a 5 yard pass to a team mate.

This. But Hoj first pumps the fans and JWP came through the youth system so they’re top class.

And Gunn, top top GK. 12 mil well spent.

Playing Shane long on the left didnt work so changed it half way through first half and put him on the right and that didnt work..........2nd half played Shane Long back on the left that didnt work either:? Worst performance for a long time and 3 defeats on the bounce ....Is Ralph really that good a manager ?

It's painful watching this side. Almost every player is worse than what we had five years ago. The spine of the side is weak. CM is so average its not true. JWP walks into the side. That says it all to me.

Pompey born Mason Mount on the front cover of the Saints programme. Someone at Bishops Printers is having a laugh at our expense.

These players have also been involved in some very good performances, so we shouldn’t lose sight of that either....they just looked like headless chickens for the most part. Yes the squad isn’t the strongest in the league, but it also isn’t the weakest by some way. This wasn’t just a case of individual errors, it was completely lacking any ideas, energy or coherence.

Chelsea closed down PEH and Rom when on the ball which made them panic and give away possession, and broke from there. I’m for the youth of Slattery to perhaps pep things up.

Crap football weekend. Liverpool and Pompey last minute winners CIty losing, all around us winning and us !!!!

Chelsea closed down PEH and Rom when on the ball which made them panic and give away possession, and broke from there. I’m for the youth of Slattery to perhaps pep things up.

Crap football weekend. Liverpool and Pompey last minute winners CIty losing, all around us winning and us !!!!

Get a quick bet on the Geordies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk