Extinction Rebellion

OldNick

Unless you are a member of the Flat Earth Society , it is pretty obvious to most people that the science is correct and human activity since the Industrial Revolution has increased the rate of climate change. Whether the tipping point is months, years or decades away, the issue is that we need to make radical changes to the way we live our lives. Just because other countries are sticking their fingers in their ears doesn’t mean that we have to do the same. Eventually everyone will follow suit because they will have no choice. Pointless point scoring does not help. It is very clear that everyday we understand more about the way we effect the living conditions of this planet and every day it becomes more obvious that our current way of life is not sustainable. The next election should be fought on the issues about how we live our lives moving forward in relation to the environment. Sadly it will be all about the major nationalistic preoccupation about bailing out of Europe (yes, one of the worlds biggest markets and right on our doorstep). Less trade with our close neighbours and more with people half way across the world - that should help the UKs carbon footprint :mcinnes: Still, at least we will get our country back, even when, in a few years time, more of it will be underwater.

Unless you are a member of the Flat Earth Society , it is pretty obvious to most people that the science is correct and human activity since the Industrial Revolution has increased the rate of climate change. Whether the tipping point is months, years or decades away, the issue is that we need to make radical changes to the way we live our lives. Just because other countries are sticking their fingers in their ears doesn’t mean that we have to do the same. Eventually everyone will follow suit because they will have no choice. Pointless point scoring does not help. It is very clear that everyday we understand more about the way we effect the living conditions of this planet and every day it becomes more obvious that our current way of life is not sustainable. The next election should be fought on the issues about how we live our lives moving forward in relation to the environment. Sadly it will be all about the major nationalistic preoccupation about bailing out of Europe (yes, one of the worlds biggest markets and right on our doorstep). Less trade with our close neighbours and more with people half way across the world - that should help the UKs carbon footprint :mcinnes: Still, at least we will get our country back, even when, in a few years time, more of it will be underwater.

This.

Global decisions are going to be harder to make when certain countries are doing all they can to separate themselves from wider organisations.

I've been reading some studies and I came across one from a set of young scientists going under the pseudonym "Busted", they make claims that they have been to the Year 3000 and people are living underwater, also not only will 4 generations time be fine, some of them will be pretty fine. I can deduce from this study that evolution will naturally kick in to allow humans to breathe underwater and also living down there seems to slow the ageing process!

Im all for having an election fought on those issues as long as people really know what ZERO carbon really means to their lives. At present they are being fed stuff that is totally exaggerated and many are following like a load of 1950's schoolgirls. Tell the electorate exactly what it means to their everyday lives, how our economy will shed more jobs and industries than ever in the history of our nation. How potentially they will not be able to use a computer, telephone, car, bus, train, aeroplane for the rest of their lives, fashion will end, that holidays will be a thing of the past and their lives will be basic at best. No flowering it up and saying that its best for a toad or a butterfly but that they will see a change in all our lives that we will not really be ready to cope with. ZERO carbon in 6 years!!! And if the quote is correct that the sea level has risen 1.5cms in 40 years I feel they are overstating the 'climate emergency'.

I also find it ironic that all those people in their matching colour coordinated clothes lipsticks and facepaints are helping cut down the rain forests for the palm oil needed for such products.

Im all for having an election fought on those issues as long as people really know what ZERO carbon really means to their lives. At present they are being fed stuff that is totally exaggerated and many are following like a load of 1950's schoolgirls. Tell the electorate exactly what it means to their everyday lives, how our economy will shed more jobs and industries than ever in the history of our nation. How potentially they will not be able to use a computer, telephone, car, bus, train, aeroplane for the rest of their lives, fashion will end, that holidays will be a thing of the past and their lives will be basic at best. No flowering it up and saying that its best for a toad or a butterfly but that they will see a change in all our lives that we will not really be ready to cope with. ZERO carbon in 6 years!!! And if the quote is correct that the sea level has risen 1.5cms in 40 years I feel they are overstating the 'climate emergency'.

I also find it ironic that all those people in their matching colour coordinated clothes lipsticks and facepaints are helping cut down the rain forests for the palm oil needed for such products.

6 years is obviously not realistic but you seem to be forgetting that many governments are committed to zero carbon in the not too distant future, the XR aim is to bring those aims forward before we reach a point of no return. A zero carbon future wouldn't be how you describe, there are many clean technologies that can and should be accelerated in place of fossil fuels. I think it was this year that the national grid was supplied by renewable's only for a record period of time, I assume you weren't sat in the dark, unable to use your computer during those times? If you are accusing XR of fear mongering, why are you opting to do the same with your vision of a carbon free future?

It’s an easy shot to take the rise out of people because they continue to use products that are constantly mass produced for the society we live in. Just what Piers Morgan does. The problem is that it detracts from the message. It really doesn’t matter if someone is being hypocritical about their stance and wearing palm oil products or whether they are seen nipping in to McDonalds. It just plays into the hands of those whose vested interests are to do nothing. The bigger issue at the moment seems to be not what Greta Thunberg says, but by what method did she get to that particular venue. So what if she didn’t arrive in a horse drawn cart that was drawn by a horse fed on organic hay. A few more flight or a few more burgers will make no difference. It is wholesale changes that are needed and they will only come from increased education and understanding. Less whinging about hypocrisy and more questions about what changes we need to implement would be good.

6 years is obviously not realistic but you seem to be forgetting that many governments are committed to zero carbon in the not too distant future, the XR aim is to bring those aims forward before we reach a point of no return. A zero carbon future wouldn't be how you describe, there are many clean technologies that can and should be accelerated in place of fossil fuels. I think it was this year that the national grid was supplied by renewable's only for a record period of time, I assume you weren't sat in the dark, unable to use your computer during those times? If you are accusing XR of fear mongering, why are you opting to do the same with your vision of a carbon free future?
The thread is about Extinction Rebellion. They want their wishes done in 6 years. So you may get some of the electric but plastics etc come as by products of fossil fuels the same as our heating and transportation

It’s an easy shot to take the rise out of people because they continue to use products that are constantly mass produced for the society we live in. Just what Piers Morgan does. The problem is that it detracts from the message. It really doesn’t matter if someone is being hypocritical about their stance and wearing palm oil products or whether they are seen nipping in to McDonalds. It just plays into the hands of those whose vested interests are to do nothing. The bigger issue at the moment seems to be not what Greta Thunberg says, but by what method did she get to that particular venue. So what if she didn’t arrive in a horse drawn cart that was drawn by a horse fed on organic hay. A few more flight or a few more burgers will make no difference. It is wholesale changes that are needed and they will only come from increased education and understanding. Less whinging about hypocrisy and more questions about what changes we need to implement would be good.
But the point is that to get to zero in 6 years are not educated guesses we know what will happen wheras the rest is educated guesses. To get to zero carbon we will have to dispense with society as we know it right now. You dont get to zero by playing at it, you get there by being ruthless. It is totally impractical and it doesn't matter as many of your dancing pensioners you put out on the streets taking them back to the IOW festival in the 70's you have to face up to the situation. IMO in that interview that Andrew Neill did with Zion Light, even their spokesperson had absolutely no idea how we could get to what she advocates, even the basic thought that the majority of people would not have gas to cook and heat with had never entered her thinking.

I do not see what right people like these have to interrupt people going about their business or their hard earned holidays. We dont know if their actions have stopped emergency services getting quickly to an incident or as before stopping someone getting to visit his father before he passed away.

But the point is that to get to zero in 6 years are not educated guesses we know what will happen wheras the rest is educated guesses. To get to zero carbon we will have to dispense with society as we know it right now. You dont get to zero by playing at it, you get there by being ruthless. It is totally impractical and it doesn't matter as many of your dancing pensioners you put out on the streets taking them back to the IOW festival in the 70's you have to face up to the situation. IMO in that interview that Andrew Neill did with Zion Light, even their spokesperson had absolutely no idea how we could get to what she advocates, even the basic thought that the majority of people would not have gas to cook and heat with had never entered her thinking.

I do not see what right people like these have to interrupt people going about their business or their hard earned holidays. We dont know if their actions have stopped emergency services getting quickly to an incident or as before stopping someone getting to visit his father before he passed away.

Their targets are impossible and their fears exaggerated but that’s probably the best way to get their point across about the urgency needed. It’s a direct response to the bullish!t fed to us by the government about how they are serious about climate change. The fact that we are on here discussing it shows it is working, the more people that actually look into the science, discuss and think about the issue the better.

I have more in-depth, far-reaching views on the subject matter but as for the people protesting, I have one simple paragraph:

A complete bunch of hypocritical, self-obssessed, selfish w4nkers. Low grade beta-males trying to score with domineering females in an attempt try and get laid in a p1ss-poor excuse for a protest.

you may get some of the electric but plastics etc come as by products of fossil fuels the same as our heating and transportation

There are many alternatives to oil based plastics. The place I work doesn't use any non biodegradeable packaging. It looks and feels so exactly like plastic people actually complain we are using it whilst claiming not to.

Here is one example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

Edited by buctootim

There are many alternatives to oil based plastics. The place I work doesn't use any non biodegradeable packaging. It looks and feels so exactly like plastic people actually complain we are using it whilst claiming not to.

Here is one example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polylactic_acid

http://www.economist.com/node/14960045 'Your plastic pal' Hey Shurlock is this your article lol.It maybe a step forward, I haven't seen it onsale. Can it compete with bubble wrap etc. We try and reuse any packaging that is sent with products t my business.

http://www.economist.com/node/14960045 'Your plastic pal' Hey Shurlock is this your article lol.It maybe a step forward, I haven't seen it onsale. Can it compete with bubble wrap etc. We try and reuse any packaging that is sent with products t my business.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/more-recycling-wont-solve-plastic-pollution/

"Recycling plastic is to saving the Earth what hammering a nail is to halting a falling skyscraper"

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/more-recycling-wont-solve-plastic-pollution/

"Recycling plastic is to saving the Earth what hammering a nail is to halting a falling skyscraper"

well Im sorry that Im responsible for the worlds pollution woes and my attempts to recycle are pointless, something that in the big picture of GB doing the same means nothing compared to the big picture. As its pointless I may as well put in the bin for landfill.

I thought that Rupert Read spoke well on Question Time tonight.

I agree that he made the case that the current ER campaign has really pushed the climate agenda to the forefront.

However he made the claim that this summer's hot weather had adversely affected UK agriculture.

Not sure what crop(s) he was referring to but some of them, particularly grain, had the best level of productivity for many years.

Bit like the headlines claim that 40,000 people in the UK die each year from the effects of emissions.

Not true if you read the research on the matter,

I was listening to an interview with a senior Greenpeace guy. He said that both Greenpeace and Friends of The Earth frequently hold well-attended marches regarding climate change.

They are always on a weekend, they liaise with the police to agree routes etc, nobody is inconvenienced and therefore they are totally ignored by the TV and newspapers.

ER have been very successful in their aim which is mainly publicity and getting government to sit up and take notice.

I agree that he made the case that the current ER campaign has really pushed the climate agenda to the forefront.

However he made the claim that this summer's hot weather had adversely affected UK agriculture.

Not sure what crop(s) he was referring to but some of them, particularly grain, had the best level of productivity for many years.

Bit like the headlines claim that 40,000 people in the UK die each year from the effects of emissions.

Not true if you read the research on the matter,

And carbon dioxide is the best natural fertiliser that there is.

I was listening to an interview with a senior Greenpeace guy. He said that both Greenpeace and Friends of The Earth frequently hold well-attended marches regarding climate change.

They are always on a weekend, they liaise with the police to agree routes etc, nobody is inconvenienced and therefore they are totally ignored by the TV and newspapers.

ER have been very successful in their aim which is mainly publicity and getting government to sit up and take notice.

Which is the point that Rupert Read made on QT. It is a shame that you have to go to such lengths to get news editors to take notice. It is not as if climate change hasn’t been on the agenda for some time.

Which just goes to show that it’s not all bad news.

Morphine is widely used as a pain killer, of course.

The point I was trying to make was that having a lot of heroin in your body dies indeed act as a potent pain killer...but the negative effects far outway the positive...rather like high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Read the articles.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/furious-commuters-drag-extinction-rebellion-protester-from-top-of-tube/ar-AAIUIEH?ocid=spartanntp

It had to happen and it will have more tragic results as time goes on. It seemed to me it was the young who had a go not older cynical people like me. At the end you see one of them thrown off the roof. They may have got injured. They are nt the voice of the people it seems to me. They should stop playing with our lives and keep campaigning by all means but not disrupt our society

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/furious-commuters-drag-extinction-rebellion-protester-from-top-of-tube/ar-AAIUIEH?ocid=spartanntp

It had to happen and it will have more tragic results as time goes on. It seemed to me it was the young who had a go not older cynical people like me. At the end you see one of them thrown off the roof. They may have got injured. They are nt the voice of the people it seems to me. They should stop playing with our lives and keep campaigning by all means but not disrupt our society

You love it.

You love it.
to a degree yes they got abuse. I definitely dont want to see people kicked and beaten by mobs. I felt very uneasy to see the aftermath as he was thrown onto the platform and the terror he faced, but it may make some these people think twice about disrupting peoples day to day lives without having consequences.