Extinction Rebellion

OldNick

[emoji38]

Because Nolan’s line of work presumably leaves a carbon footprint if he’s sourcing fruit and veg from around the world and the food industry is among the most exposed sectors to climate change and related government policy.

Which is why stuff like hydroponics and vertical farming is the new thing.

We haven't seen any change in practices or changes in growing areas, which you'd think we would be the first to see.

The big concern in our industry isn't the climate, it's Banana Blight in Cavendish banana

It’s very confusing reading the comments on here. I’m assuming there are a few who are giving up their cars and moving to a subsistence lifestyle, considering the scorn they are dishing out?

Or is it just another opportunity to score points without any real conviction?

Interesting. Because I don't see a lot of protest aimed at China and India. Until those two countries change it really won't make much of a difference what we do.

Actually China and India have been putting us to shame this century so that old excuse doesn't wash. Time for our government to pull its finger out.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/nasa-says-earth-is-greener-than-ever-thanks-to-china-and-india/

It’s very confusing reading the comments on here. I’m assuming there are a few who are giving up their cars and moving to a subsistence lifestyle, considering the scorn they are dishing out?

Jeff will soon be disowning any of his friends who own cars. Although this is moot of course.

Absolutely the second one, can't understand why people do it.

But you're my friend - that's why every comment you seem to put on here is about me. 8 of the last 10 in fact.

Makes me blush.

You are the only reason I visit here. I cannot find such levels of pretension anywhere else.

Personally I know that humanity can make a difference to the climate, but until people start lobbying Asia and certain African countries, there is really no point. I'm sick and tired of being told repeatedly how we need to make changes in this country when we're a drop in the ocean compared to countries out in the east.

But we have to start somewhere, and if we don’t take a lead, how can we expect others to do the right thing? The movement has started, it will grow but it isn’t helpful when you have your own PM calling protestors crusties and people hanging effigies of a young girl off a bridge. We cannot afford short termism any longer but rather than blockading cities and ****ing people off, a better way of dealing with the problem from the ground up is a concerted economic campaign against specific companies. Once you start hitting businesses in their pockets you get attention from those who can make real changes. The problem is that it will take time for sanctions to bite and we don’t have much of that left before we reach the tipping point.

It's not 'some companies', its the entire world economy and the culture that has formed it. I've personally driver over 1000 petrol powered miles in the last month in order to feed an house my family, I couldn't have walked that.

This is how the world works, and its something we are all guilty of, unless anyone here can honestly say they take 2 showers a week, only eat what they grow, and travel everywhere on foot.

Yes, I agree but the 'must do it now' is a nonsense and the whole thing puts peoples backs up to make them detest these people. Yes lets start with bottled water, takeaway plastic containers, burger polystyrene packets and plastic wrapping.

Perhaps we should give the nation a dose of electricity being rationed for halfa day and show us how difficult it will be to live the way these people areasking

It's not 'some companies', its the entire world economy and the culture that has formed it. I've personally driver over 1000 petrol powered miles in the last month in order to feed an house my family, I couldn't have walked that.

This is how the world works, and its something we are all guilty of, unless anyone here can honestly say they take 2 showers a week, only eat what they grow, and travel everywhere on foot.

And no-one is.

I see they are out in force again. Another jolly, where they can dress upand have the idea that they are saving the world.

There are not many people in the world who want their children or grandchildren to die due to the climate butt perhaps realise that to put into place what these hippies want would end the way of life we enjoy.

To get what they want we would have no travel, very little utilities and basically go back to the caves. I did read the leader of this group wants that to happen.

Given that there is no actual leader of the group, I doubt that somewhat.

It's interesting that you are criticising their methods as being ineffective, but their actions have prompted you to start a thread on an internet forum which in turn has sparked an interesting discussion on the subject. I would say that means their campaign has been successful ;)

Given that there is no actual leader of the group, I doubt that somewhat.

It's interesting that you are criticising their methods as being ineffective, but their actions have prompted you to start a thread on an internet forum which in turn has sparked an interesting discussion on the subject. I would say that means their campaign has been successful ;)

The first step is awareness. No matter how annoying they are, it doesn't mean that people out there are going to buy worse cars, or use more fuel, or recycle less to spite them. But it will wake some people up.

Yes it is the world economy but we can’t boycott everyone at once. Choose targets and hit them hard, then move on to others.

Yes, I agree but the 'must do it now' is a nonsense and the whole thing puts peoples backs up to make them detest these people. Yes lets start with bottled water, takeaway plastic containers, burger polystyrene packets and plastic wrapping.

Perhaps we should give the nation a dose of electricity being rationed for halfa day and show us how difficult it will be to live the way these people areasking

We had that in the 70s. I am sure you remember the 3 day week? Yet life went on. It is not a question of “them.” Global warming is effecting all of us and will do increasingly.

They are right to highlight the urgency of taking action. The science has been accepted by governments around the world but change is just not happening quick enough.

Fact is, making tough, unpopular decisions for our long term good is something our democracies are not very good at.

Yes it is the world economy but we can’t boycott everyone at once. Choose targets and hit them hard, then move on to others.

I believe examples would be useful here. Who is the target? EDF? Shell? Bayer?

What is the action to be taken?

They are right to highlight the urgency of taking action. The science has been accepted by governments around the world but change is just not happening quick enough.

Fact is, making tough, unpopular decisions for our long term good is something our democracies are not very good at.

Case in point:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49960817

This is precisely why drastic action such as that being carried out by XR is necessary. Governments and industry simply cannot be trusted to act in urgency otherwise.

Case in point:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49960817

This is precisely why drastic action such as that being carried out by XR is necessary. Governments and industry simply cannot be trusted to act in urgency otherwise.

Whee does democracy come in all this?

Or does your view override everybody else in the country?

Whee does democracy come in all this?

Or does your view override everybody else in the country?

I was referring more to Aintforever's first line, about change not happening quickly enough.

But to answer your question, do you think we should hold a referendum on whether or not to take urgent action on climate? Reading some of the ignorant, deluded boll*cks people spout on Twitter about it, I would be horrified if we did that.

Personally, I'm happy to put my trust in the research and the consensus of the global climate science community, and would be very happy if we had a government who actually listened to expert advice on these matters.

But we don't. We have a PM who takes most of his advice from Dominic Cummings instead - a man who is possibly about to have his Commons security pass taken away due to being found in contempt of parliament earlier this year. So much for democracy, eh?

We had that in the 70s. I am sure you remember the 3 day week? Yet life went on. It is not a question of “them.” Global warming is effecting all of us and will do increasingly.
yep, but that was nearly 50 years ago, show the younger generation what they are asking for, it seems easy to some but they dont understand. As I say it is fine if done over a long period but it cant be done in 11 years.

Personally I know that humanity can make a difference to the climate, but until people start lobbying Asia and certain African countries, there is really no point. I'm sick and tired of being told repeatedly how we need to make changes in this country when we're a drop in the ocean compared to countries out in the east.

Did you not read my posts above for Christ sake?!

I'm quite surprised how unbothered people are about the end of the world. Personally I've been prepping for the coming apocalypse for a while last week I bought my outfit for when it all goes tits up. It took a while to find but the local sex shop came good

wasteland_4109.jpg

just need a good car to rip up the wastelands now

faa07f6db380a383f769b64b84a73b63.jpg

As Jonnyboy says most Asian countries are doing more than us on low carbon production and renewable electricity generation.

The only reason Britain has managed to reduce its carbon emissions, even by the modest amount it has is because we have exported our carbon intensive heavy industry such as steel and aluminium making to other countries and North Sea oil production has declined.

Accounting for carbon by where it is is consumed rather than produced gives a different picture. For example oil producing Trinidad and Tobago is the second highest carbon emitter per capita in the world. But it doesn't use that oil itself, it exports it to others.

Britain doesn't produce as much carbon as it used to, but the amount of carbon we consume - ie how much energy was used to produce and ship the stuff we use, eat, drive with and build continues to be directly linked to GDP and is on the rise again after declining during the financial crisis. Living on a wind blown island importing our energy, metals, plastics, chemicals and air freighted food whilst driving and flying record amounts doesn’t make anyone holier than thou, just ill informed.

The only figure which really counts is carbon consumption per capita (per person) not national carbon production, and for that we are still well above the global average.

Edited by buctootim

Did you not read my posts above for Christ sake?!

Calm down dear, no I didn't. Just went back and it is encouraged, but still doesn't change the fact that countries in Asia and Africa are still polluting at a much higher rate. Worth pointing out your article referred to specifically India and China planting trees - I was talking about Asia in general and certain African countries, Nigeria being one of the worst, and their levels of pollution.

If every country thought like that nothing would ever get done. We should strive to do what's best for the climate regardless of what other countries do.

If every country thought like that nothing would ever get done. We should strive to do what's best for the climate regardless of what other countries do.
yep if you totally believe in the science. At the same time not costing your economy and normal people great inconvenience, depriving people who have worked hard and want to break to Europe or hardship for businesses that a lot are really suffering at present.

So it's really about making yourself feel good then if it's going to have virtually no effect.

Why do you behave like a reactionary logic less **** on almost every thread when you're capable of better? - shown by the child smacking thread. If you believe its wrong to smack a child are you arguing its wrong to stop unless everyone else does too?

The biggest emitters per capita are the developed world. Every person making a reduction makes difference

Edited by buctootim

Why do you behave like a reactionary logic less **** on almost every thread when you're capable of better? - shown by the child smacking thread. If you believe its wrong to smack a child are you arguing its wrong to stop unless everyone else does too?

The biggest emitters per capita are the developed world. Every person making a reduction makes difference

But carbon zero in 11 years!!!

No I think sensible precautions are fine. These batsh*t people including the founder of extinction rebellion are going on about cannabalism in Britain, about literal human extinction in our lifetimes and many of them are basically anarcho-communists using this green agenda to push their regressive policies.

If someone sensible come out and suggests reasonable policies like plastic bag reductions or reducing dumping in the oceans then I'm fully supportive. If a load of smelly hippies want to go and clog up London and have a rave whilst telling everyone we have to panic now (and visiting McDonald's for a Big Mac) then I'll treat them with the derision they deserve.

Everyone doing a bit will undoubtedly make a small difference and I'm supportive of that but that isn't what these people are "demanding." Giant sweeping changes of the economy and the hobbling of us as a nation may rapidly reduce our climate footprint but all it will really do is send jobs and opportunities abroad and ruin us as a nation. Let's have sensible conversations about what, we can realistically achieve without the silliness.

Edited by hypochondriac

No I think sensible precautions are fine. These batsh*t people including the founder of extinction rebellion are going on about cannabalism in Britain, about literal human extinction in our lifetimes and many of them are basically anarcho-communists using this green agenda to push their regressive policies.

If someone sensible come out and suggests reasonable policies like plastic bag reductions or reducing dumping in the oceans then I'm fully supportive. If a load of smelly hippies want to go and clog up London and have a rave whilst telling everyone we have to panic now (and visiting McDonald's for a Big Mac) then I'll treat them with the derision they deserve.

Everyone doing a bit will undoubtedly make a small difference and I'm supportive of that but that isn't what these people are "demanding." Giant sweeping changes of the economy and the hobbling of us as a nation may rapidly reduce our climate footprint but all it will really do is send jobs and opportunities abroad and ruin us as a nation. Let's have sensible conversations about what, we can realistically achieve without the silliness.

We're ruined as a nation anyway though...we're already purposely hobbling ourselves through Brexit because we don't like foreigners, so why don't we hobble ourselves because we don't want our kids to suffer.

With the way the world is going, environmentally, politically and the increase of the far right again, if I had the choice now I wouldn't have kids as I really worry for the life they're going to have.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Hypo all over the place [emoji38]
I'm sorry you are having difficulty understanding. Sensible and proportionate responses so that we are generally greener is a good thing. Mass panic, blocking half of London, hanging off every word an autistic teenager says and calling for meat and air etravel to be banned are things I'm not so enthusiastic about.

We're ruined as a nation anyway though...we're already purposely hobbling ourselves through Brexit because we don't like foreigners, so why don't we hobble ourselves because we don't want our kids to suffer.

With the way the world is going, environmentally, politically and the increase of the far right again, if I had the choice now I wouldn't have kids as I really worry for the life they're going to have.

I'm definitely having more kids. Life is fantastic and it's a million times better when you have children to bring up. Outside of the Internet and the mass media I find most people just want to live happy and fulfilled lives being pleasant to other people and generally making positive contributions to society. Ignore the vast majority of social media and it's much better. Edited by hypochondriac

At the moment it's fantastic. Do you not worry for their later lives?
There's been Doom and gloom from some for decades. Humans are remarkably adaptable and have only really had what you would call a "comfortable" life for around 100 years. I'm sure my children will be absolutely fine and even if there is some adversity, it's likely that the humans of the future are still going to be 100 times better off than our ancestors. Making predictions too far in advance is a fools game anyway.