Extinction Rebellion

OldNick

I see they are out in force again. Another jolly, where they can dress upand have the idea that they are saving the world.

There are not many people in the world who want their children or grandchildren to die due to the climate butt perhaps realise that to put into place what these hippies want would end the way of life we enjoy.

To get what they want we would have no travel, very little utilities and basically go back to the caves. I did read the leader of this group wants that to happen.

What caves?
Theres a few at Wookey hole. No doubt you are one of the people who are misguided and think you will change the world. Of course you wont give up your essentials like mobile phones, computers , perhaps the odd stag night to Munich (you may not be one who flies)but for some strange reason overlook that it is these things that produce the chemicals and pollution that is said to be causing it.

I fully agree that we need to tone the pollution down but in 11 years!!!. If we do we will not know for a 100 years or more if it has helped.

Excuse me if you think im wrong but the people disrupting normal peoples lives are either pampered middle class do gooders, the workshy, students, or people who just like having a rave. However great their intentions are they are going about it in the wrong way.

I see they are out in force again. Another jolly, where they can dress upand have the idea that they are saving the world.

There are not many people in the world who want their children or grandchildren to die due to the climate butt perhaps realise that to put into place what these hippies want would end the way of life we enjoy.

To get what they want we would have no travel, very little utilities and basically go back to the caves. I did read the leader of this group wants that to happen.

I think this is an example of people "not getting it" - this way of life you enjoy, will be ripped away from your future generations whether they like it or not....guess XR are trying to be proactive instead of reactive.

Do you not believe the scientists reports?

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/09/1046972

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/10/earths-sixth-mass-extinction-event-already-underway-scientists-warn

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

https://www.ipcc.ch/2019/09/25/srocc-press-release/

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/global-climate-2015-2019-climate-change-accelerates

if the scientists are to be believed, future generations will look back at your comments and sigh that when there was still time to do something about it, there were still people around that had views like yours. Nothing will happen though, as too many powerful people / companies still rely on the fossil fuel trade.

I think this is an example of people "not getting it" -

as too many powerful people / companies still rely on the fossil fuel trade.

Yep its just the companies who rely on fossil fuels. Tell me how many times in the last year have you flown, or travelled more than 25 miles by car, or watched motor sport, driven instead of walked, left the lights and any other power in your home on when not needed to, bought clothes, furniture, white goods, food originating from countries far away from the UK.

The companies need the fuel to make the items that we use in our homes, they dont use it just for the sake of it.

Yep its just the companies who rely on fossil fuels. Tell me how many times in the last year have you flown, or travelled more than 25 miles by car, or watched motor sport, driven instead of walked, left the lights and any other power in your home on when not needed to, bought clothes, furniture, white goods, food originating from countries far away from the UK.

The companies need the fuel to make the items that we use in our homes, they dont use it just for the sake of it.

Yes - I buy and use all those things you mention...I also work for a cruise company that has had recent protests on its doorstep. I feel morally compromised working for them.....but I have to pay the bills like everyone else. I am in the process of looking for alternative employment however.

I'm 43....me and the generations that came after me.....didn't arrive in this world and demand fossil fuel powered vehicles, plastic, foreign holidays, clothes, furniture, white goods etc.....they were already there. The XR lot are the 1st generation to have all the facts to hand, and what they are saying is that there needs to be radical changes (seems they are more capable of coping with this new way of life than you appear to be) as if changes arent made, we are all f4cked.

I'll ask again, do you not believe the scientific reports.

Fished in hook line and sinker.

The Stinky Rebels insist we must reduce carbon without using technology or private companies.

They are a doomsday sect derived from anti capitalism and extreme environmentalism.

Yet they protest after their morning coffee in pret or by chugging a boat down the Thames.

They're a bunch of idiots.

Did you just call them hippies [emoji23] is it the 70s again?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Fished in hook line and sinker.

The Stinky Rebels insist we must reduce carbon without using technology or private companies.

They are a doomsday sect derived from anti capitalism and extreme environmentalism.

Yet they protest after their morning coffee in pret or by chugging a boat down the Thames.

They're a bunch of idiots.

I don't disagree, but the more attention climate change gets the better IMO.

Yes - I buy and use all those things you mention...I also work for a cruise company that has had recent protests on its doorstep. I feel morally compromised working for them.....but I have to pay the bills like everyone else. I am in the process of looking for alternative employment however.

I'm 43....me and the generations that came after me.....didn't arrive in this world and demand fossil fuel powered vehicles, plastic, foreign holidays, clothes, furniture, white goods etc.....they were already there. The XR lot are the 1st generation to have all the facts to hand, and what they are saying is that there needs to be radical changes (seems they are more capable of coping with this new way of life than you appear to be) as if changes arent made, we are all f4cked.

I'll ask again, do you not believe the scientific reports.

Iam sceptical that it is ALL man made, I cant get round my head that we had the medieval warming period, the little ice age and the Romans growing vines in the South, all before we have been driving around in cars. The climate business is a trillion pound industry with thousands of jobs tied to it. I dont travel abroad/fly more than once a year and am very careful how I use energy. My business is basically recycling and a very green product.

Iam in business and can see what the climate change people are asking is impossible to apply, unless we change our lives beyond what we know now. It will mean massive upheaval the loss of many jobs and hardship. Yu and I will have to forgo much of what we know and the economy will grind to a halt. Fine if you like anarchy but for the main person inthe street it will be terrible.

I have grandchildren and dont want them to have and so make constant tweaks to my lifestyle but what the protestors are doing is a nonsense

The more I read about the science, the more I think Extinction Rebellion are right.

Doing your own little bit helps but real change has to come from our governments.

That's the crux of it all my attempts to recycle, keep my energy and water use down and try make my garden wildlife friendly will have next to no effect unless the government's of the world get involved and force change on all of us.

Isn't it funny how it seems to the Brexiteers who are the ones with the problems here?

There will be a nice shiny place in hell for a lot of these people - it's a shame they seem to care so much about themselves, yet so little for there kids/grandkids.

Im not a brexiteer thankyou. You are a fine one talking about your brand new car and what shall you choose, a gas guzzling BMW at one time, then you played with having an electric one as long as the tax breaks were good lol, HYPOCRITTTTTTT

I don't disagree, but the more attention climate change gets the better IMO.
Personally, I'm still waiting for East Anglia to be underwater as they were telling us on the news in the early 90's. They told us that would happen by 2010.

They were exaggerating then, and they're exaggerating now.

Personally, I'm still waiting for East Anglia to be underwater as they were telling us on the news in the early 90's. They told us that would happen by 2010.

They were exaggerating then, and they're exaggerating now.

How’s the fruit and veg business pal?

Im not a brexiteer thankyou. You are a fine one talking about your brand new car and what shall you choose, a gas guzzling BMW at one time, then you played with having an electric one as long as the tax breaks were good lol, HYPOCRITTTTTTT

Alright love, calm down. My priorities changed once I had children, hence why I was thinking of going down the electric route. I haven't had my BMW for about 6 years now.

That's the crux of it all my attempts to recycle, keep my energy and water use down and try make my garden wildlife friendly will have next to no effect unless the government's of the world get involved and force change on all of us.

Interesting. Because I don't see a lot of protest aimed at China and India. Until those two countries change it really won't make much of a difference what we do.

Does it matter what industry people are in? Why not tell us what your line you are in. It wont be customer services, that's for certain lol Only teasing

:lol:

Because Nolan’s line of work presumably leaves a carbon footprint if he’s sourcing fruit and veg from around the world and the food industry is among the most exposed sectors to climate change and related government policy.

:lol:

Because Nolan’s line of work presumably leaves a carbon footprint if he’s sourcing fruit and veg from around the world and the food industry is among the most exposed sectors to climate change and government policy.

That is fair, but until we change our need for strawberries in the winter etc Nolan is providing a service that the people desire. To me the biggest thing we could do is reduce the use of plastics, not only for the enviroment but of course the energy etc used for something this is not always required. It is essential in many areas but I feel the packaging industry is going to be difficult place to be in the near period.

Iam sceptical that it is ALL man made, I cant get round my head that we had the medieval warming period, the little ice age and the Romans growing vines in the South, all before we have been driving around in cars. The climate business is a trillion pound industry with thousands of jobs tied to it. I dont travel abroad/fly more than once a year and am very careful how I use energy. My business is basically recycling and a very green product.

Iam in business and can see what the climate change people are asking is impossible to apply, unless we change our lives beyond what we know now. It will mean massive upheaval the loss of many jobs and hardship. Yu and I will have to forgo much of what we know and the economy will grind to a halt. Fine if you like anarchy but for the main person inthe street it will be terrible.

I have grandchildren and dont want them to have and so make constant tweaks to my lifestyle but what the protestors are doing is a nonsense

My last post for 24 hours....

I think the message XR are trying to get out to the masses, is that unless radical and drastic decision are done now, the lives we live and the lifestyles weve all got used to will be ripped off us whether we like it or not. Here is a scenario that I can 100% see happening....large areas of the planet will become increasingly uninhabitable, which in term will force mass migrations out of that area (probably starting in Africa and the Middle East) into areas of the planet that can sustain life (probably Europe and counties on that latitude) - these areas that can sustain life are already stretched to breaking point as bio diversity has plummeted and frequent floods etc ruin crops of food. The fall out will be famine, war and disease as more and more people compete for the earths dwindling resources.

The human population will plummet and a lifestyle will be forced upon us that is totally alien to what we have now.

The fossil fuel jobs will have to be lost

Hardship will have to be endured

Our lives will have to be changed beyond anything we know now

Instead of people working in fossil fuel industries, they work for wind / solar / hydro farms and the subsequent supply chains

Its not a lifestyle CHOICE....XR are saying that the Scientists are warning THIS WILL HAPPEN, and they are trying to do something about it.

What do you suggest the protestors do, as the message is clearly not getting through.

Have you tried reading about the science?
I have read about the science, but I have an open mind and read the counter as well. It is not 100% agreed and there is much self interest going on. I recall the images of the polar bear staving to death, and the one on an ice flow. People were up in arms. It turned out the polar bear was seriously ill and the other was a case of normal life of polar bears where they move around swimming from ice flow to ice flow.

That is for sure - it is also the destruction of the rainforests that also means we cannot defend the increases that we are seeing.
Let's be honest. There's a reason that technologically advanced Western nations are being targeted despite the likes of the UK contributing piddling amounts of carbon globally. Lots of these people just want greater government control and to smash capitalism and are using prophecies of global extinction to bring it in.

You can bet if they brought in some new rules such as restricting flying for example that the rich and powerful snobs like Prince Harry or Emma Thompson would be the sort of people who would be flouting the rules and getting round it by making a donation to a carbon neutral charity.

My last post for 24 hours....

I think the message XR are trying to get out to the masses, is that unless radical and drastic decision are done now, the lives we live and the lifestyles weve all got used to will be ripped off us whether we like it or not. Here is a scenario that I can 100% see happening....large areas of the planet will become increasingly uninhabitable, which in term will force mass migrations out of that area (probably starting in Africa and the Middle East) into areas of the planet that can sustain life (probably Europe and counties on that latitude) - these areas that can sustain life are already stretched to breaking point as bio diversity has plummeted and frequent floods etc ruin crops of food. The fall out will be famine, war and disease as more and more people compete for the earths dwindling resources.

The human population will plummet and a lifestyle will be forced upon us that is totally alien to what we have now.

The fossil fuel jobs will have to be lost

Hardship will have to be endured

Our lives will have to be changed beyond anything we know now

Instead of people working in fossil fuel industries, they work for wind / solar / hydro farms and the subsequent supply chains

Its not a lifestyle CHOICE....XR are saying that the Scientists are warning THIS WILL HAPPEN, and they are trying to do something about it.

What do you suggest the protestors do, as the message is clearly not getting through.

The protestors are not helping as they are annoying people not educating them. I dont care what they are telling me as it is impractical and impossible to do in 11 years. I read sometime ago that the increase in heat was not as much as the computers had predicted, the information was incorrect.

I do not have a closed mind to it, and as I say I have made changes in my own life to help. There are people who have a different opinion in the scientific field and are shouted down, sometimes with fact other times with predictions.

We should all be aware that there are forcesout there who are using social media to create fear and panic for different motives. The money that can be made from this is eyewatering.

I think our generation have timed it just about right. A few decades of nice summers and Mediterranean temperatures before the impending global catastrophe.

Seriously though, as poster above said, matters like these need to be taken at a national and even global level. I keep reading China is taking big strides towards renewables, but there will be plenty of developing countries that want to boost their economies as quickly as they can and won't want to be denied the fruits of fossil fuels in the same way other societies have benefited from over the decades.

Plastic production, I think we could be a lot tougher on manufacturing a lot sooner. Ban all the plastic production of tat we don't need virtually over night. Be as strict as is necessary. Force the market to look for other, sustainable alternatives. Humans survived well enough before plastic production on this scale, we might just need to live a bit differently. So be it.

Those crusties though, gluing themselves to roads and whatnot. You have my permission to run over their limbs.

It seems obvious to me that clearly the world is already massively overpopulated. If you were looking at things entirely without a conscience it would be clear that wiping out half the world's population would benefit the globe enormously. Failing that, I can't see there is a huge amount we can do as we won't be seeing any sort of change from India or China any time soon. Human beings will adapt and survive in the long term barring some other catastrophic event but maybe we won't have such cushy lives that we have lived for the last 100 odd years. Ultimately a small amount of hardship might end up being a good thing considering the entitled pampered whiny millenials who exist now.

The problem with this generation of protesters and idealists is they’re up their own areses. At least the hippies and peaceniks produced fantastic music and culture. These clowns are just middle class soap dodgers without any original thought or creativity. Boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have now what?
What car do you drive. Before I go to that

nice shiny place in hell

I think you are a 2 car family. What are those?

Afterall being the saviour of the planet and all that, you most surely now have cut your cars down to just the one and that being low powered hybrid engine

Edited by OldNick

What car do you drive. Before I go to that

nice shiny place in hell

I think you are a 2 car family. What are those?

Afterall being the saviour of the planet and all that, you most surely now have cut your cars down to just the one and that being low powered hybrid engine

Hybrid Volvo and diesel Kuga - hence why I was asking the question of electric cars to replace the Kuga next year for the missus.

We have to be a 2 car family unfortunately due to my work commitments and where we live now having particularly great transport links.

It's the lack of caring for the future generations though rather than everyone doing their parts - there needs to be a massive change in the attitudes of Governments (which ours is actually pretty good), but just denying it or seeing it as unimportant is insulting to the generations that are going to suffer going forward.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Hybrid Volvo and diesel Kuga - hence why I was asking the question of electric cars to replace the Kuga next year for the missus.

We have to be a 2 car family unfortunately due to my work commitments and where we live now having particularly great transport links.

It's the lack of caring for the future generations though rather than everyone doing their parts - there needs to be a massive change in the attitudes of Governments (which ours is actually pretty good), but just denying it or seeing it as unimportant is insulting to the generations that are going to suffer going forward.

but that is the crux of the matter. everybody in the main has their own work/life commitments. Hence you have 2 cars. Having a good train service would help but again to get to the 11 year thing most transport is off the cards. Transport is major part of our lives whether for leisure or business, all those container lorries going up and down the country, how are we going to get rid of that, where are their jobs?? It is a mammoth task that can only be done in time as technology allows. Im not sure what exactly the government can do, who in their right minds will ban fossil fuels although I expect Labour may say something to be a vote winner for the unthinking

but that is the crux of the matter. everybody in the main has their own work/life commitments. Hence you have 2 cars. Having a good train service would help but again to get to the 11 year thing most transport is off the cards. Transport is major part of our lives whether for leisure or business, all those container lorries going up and down the country, how are we going to get rid of that, where are their jobs?? It is a mammoth task that can only be done in time as technology allows. Im not sure what exactly the government can do, who in their right minds will ban fossil fuels although I expect Labour may say something to be a vote winner for the unthinking

It's not about getting rid - it's about technological changes to solve the issues, whether that be through electric cars, hydrogen or eventually, some sort of nuclear fission.

However, doing nothing is just stupid and irresponsible.

Have you tried reading about the science?

Indeed. It makes for scary reading. I don’t think that there is any doubt about the effect that we have had on the planet since the Industrial Revolution. A recent programme showed graphically about how our actions have accelerated global warmer far quicker than any natural changes in temperature ranges for some considerable time. I have every sympathy for the protesters although I think disrupting people trying to get to and from work will work against them. The state of the planet isn’t looking good for the 30’s onwards unless we all make bigger changes to the way we live. Whilst we have people like Trump in power that isn’t going to happen.

It's not about getting rid - it's about technological changes to solve the issues, whether that be through electric cars, hydrogen or eventually, some sort of nuclear fission.

However, doing nothing is just stupid and irresponsible.

I doubt you have many who will argue against that, but you cant do it so quickly. You of course used the word 'eventually' these people want it done now.

I have read about the science, but I have an open mind and read the counter as well. It is not 100% agreed and there is much self interest going on. I recall the images of the polar bear staving to death, and the one on an ice flow. People were up in arms. It turned out the polar bear was seriously ill and the other was a case of normal life of polar bears where they move around swimming from ice flow to ice flow.

I meant scientific papers, not the Daily Mail.

Interesting. Because I don't see a lot of protest aimed at China and India. Until those two countries change it really won't make much of a difference what we do.
Which is why I said "governments of the world" last time I looked the world included China and India...

You’ve all got your excuses why you can’t cut back, but carry on preaching to the rest of us ****ing peasants .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, were the topman at the debating society? Of course only the Guardian reports anything honestly. That the internet does not have other peoples/scientists views.

I'm just trying to help. You're the one who said they didn't understand how the medieval warming period could have happened - I just assumed you were forming your opinions from a position of ignorance.

Two cars?

It is because of people like you that 92% of the UK will be underwater in about 9 years

Cheers mate!