Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

despite the frankly non existence of funds, from that article, could we tempt ragnick to come to us? if we were to give him what he asks and let him manage the income however little, from player sales and sky money and also whatever amount the owner can/might give, it would be the dream ticket.

it sounds like he'd be interested in an opportunity to come to the premier league. and seeing as how the big clubs might be reluctant to hand over significant control over the goings on of their clubs, we on the other hand have nothing to lose. and the ralph connection might be a catalyst for us. it is doubtful that he'd leave his post so soon after taking on a new role, and his current circumstances are ideal compared to the shambolic situation we are currently in, but maybe just maybe he could be tempted by the prospect of saving our asses and making a name for himself in the process. after all we all thought hasenhuttle was too good to come to our mess of a club before he took the job, so there might be a slight chance of the same happening with ragnick.

• 2 weeks later...

Article doesn’t say that they are looking into him.

Hope we get someone european with a very good knowledge of German, French and Belgium leagues. Aboslute gems out there.

We need someone with contacts and can help us shift our below par european players we can t shift.

Article doesn’t say that they are looking into him.

Hope we get someone european with a very good knowledge of German, French and Belgium leagues. Aboslute gems out there.

We need someone with contacts and can help us shift our below par european players we can t shift.

Agree - not a single word of evidence to link us explicitly and concretely to Jones. Appalling ‘journalism’. I could do exactly the same with Hoddle, Strachan or Souness. Doesn’t make a word of it true.

It will be someone who is at this moment in time in a job.

If he has already been identified and will arrive before the next international break, he would probably have to serve notice at his existing club.

Any thoughts who this might be? Someone from abroad perhaps.

Southampton 'want to pip Manchester United to Erik Stoffelshaus — who found Manuel Neuer and Mesut Ozil — as they seek new sporting director'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7618839/Southampton-want-pip-Manchester-United-Erik-Stoffelshaus-seek-new-sporting-director.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

Everyone seems to be ignoring the possibility of Dave Jones returning?? WTF

I can't see that happening, we were the high spot in an unremarkable managerial career, and I don't think he can point to an track record of signings here or elsewhere.

Story strikes me as a crock of sh!t. The heading leads with the line that Jones wants to return as Sporting Director; I'm sure he would but doubtful that we'd share the enthusiasm. We couldn't be that daft could we ?

Didn't Jones enjoy a good relationship with the Mail after his trial when he told the story of how Lowe visited the family to go on gardening leave ? Perhaps he has retained a contact there to float his name in such a fashion.

Kelvin or Dave Watson it is then

If so, just turn the lights out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either of these two or Dave Jones and we might as well give up for the next couple of years.

I still suspect the Everton bloke who came in earlier in the year being elevated to the role.

Not sure finding Ozil is a good point.

Come on, he's gone off the boil in the last couple fo years (not managed very well) but this a guy with over 90 caps for Germany, was a star performer for Real Madrid, has won the World Cup, and has been consistently one the best goal creators in the league for the last 4-5 years.

We'd be delighted unearthing an Ozil.

Weren't when we were signing players well, didn't we basically have a transfer committee of like 3 people overseeing tranfers all having their input, getting in two new outside people, together with Ralph's input into player signings sounds like a good idea to me.

More fresh faces the better I'd reckon.

Also hopefully a good director of Football might quickly weed out the bad eggs in the backroom staff.

Come on, he's gone off the boil in the last couple fo years (not managed very well) but this a guy with over 90 caps for Germany, was a star performer for Real Madrid, has won the World Cup, and has been consistently one the best goal creators in the league for the last 4-5 years.

We'd be delighted unearthing an Ozil.

Weren't when we were signing players well, didn't we basically have a transfer committee of like 3 people overseeing tranfers all having their input, getting in two new outside people, together with Ralph's input into player signings sounds like a good idea to me.

More fresh faces the better I'd reckon.

Also hopefully a good director of Football might quickly weed out the bad eggs in the backroom staff.

Not sure that's their remit. Maybe we need a good HR guy or legal expert to go through player contracts and find a way to dismiss them for non-performance with minimal cost to the club.

So with Ross resigning, what do we think will happen?

Limited funds in January & a load of players we can’t get rid of.

Will be interesting to see who we go for, with effectively no football experience at board level making decisions.

We will do exactly what we did replacing Reed 12 months ago. Say nothing and do nothing and occasionally regurgitate the same “we are looking” cr*p many months later via The Echo mouthpiece to maintain turnstiles activity. The staff turnstiles at St Mary’s have only been set to one way, exit only.