Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

Just seen a name from the past at QPR chief executive I think Lee Hoos did an ok job here in tough circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of names from the past, anyone know what became of Andy Oldknow (Oldknough ? can't recall the spelling) ? He was at the the club briefly pre Administration before Lowe came back and then arrived with Cortese although left after a couple of months as NC took over more running of the club.

Reed and Krueger were leaving at the end of last season, but vecause both were offered jobs they went earlier.

Wilson seems to be unexpected and because its during the seasons makes it very hard to attract candidates i suspect.

Its no surprise that the german mentioned doesnt seem to have a current job at the moment.

If Reed, Krueger and Wilson were planned departures the ownership board would have had replacements lined up.

The board can't do anything without Gao's say so and he reacts to a crisis far too late.

More is lost by indecision, than by wrong decision.

The issue is more succession planning than indecision.

Any board will demand high cap ex requests goes through them for agreement that is common sense and happens at every single club and company in the land....

As per the Wallace article post Leicester:

"A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break.

The new director of football has been identified and will be expected to work with the scouting network in finding a profile of quick, high-energy players that suit the Hasenhuttl style. The partnership with Hasenhuttlis expected to be along the lines of that between Graham Potter and his technical director at Brighton and Hove Albion, Dan Ashworth, formerly of the Football Association

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/amp/

The next Intl break begins after the Everton game....

As per the Wallace article post Leicester:

"A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break.

The new director of football has been identified and will be expected to work with the scouting network in finding a profile of quick, high-energy players that suit the Hasenhuttl style. The partnership with Hasenhuttlis expected to be along the lines of that between Graham Potter and his technical director at Brighton and Hove Albion, Dan Ashworth, formerly of the Football Association

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/amp/

The next Intl break begins after the Everton game....

I will believe it when I see it. They were claiming to replace Reed a year ago and look where we are now. Gao doesn’t like paying for anything. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had just one member of staff running the whole show to cut costs. This current chairman so far has just perpetuated a wall of silence from a personal point of view or drip fed a series of broken promises to press reporters and chronic underinvestment and if they don’t buy in January in a big u-turn, contradicting the telegraph article (paper pacifying as people so astutely saw) a mere 2 weeks earlier, then that will be the main reason why we get relegated. I find it almost laughable that we haven’t got a big enough squad to drop the players involved in the 9-0 defeat. No wonder there is no spirit left in the club. Let’s see if they stick to their worthless word this time. Before the international break. If they do not, take them to task and ask why they are commenting in articles and consistently making and breaking promises. A year ago we lost our DOF & now, the club are still alluding to this appointment while our form slumps. This club consistently lies to the fans and dangles the carrot without any offer of direction or words of prosperity of utterance of ambition. We sit in abject silence. Insulted by intelligence insulting proverbial carrots dangled in the press, not one of which has been anywhere near the truth.

Game over if we don’t buy in January and that will show Gao’s real intentions. What a summer of rebuilding. One loan player then doesn't start. We know the answer already. Gao has no interest outside of real estate. Time to force him out. Vote with your feet. #GaoOut

No links, no comments from ITK, and we are very close the the deadline mentioned in the article.

When will we see the follow up article? - "Club identified our new man, his current club wouldn't let him go. We'll try again in the summer."

This post deserves more recognition than it got

Yes it does but that doesn’t surprise me. Hold them to their word on this one and see if they can actually fulfil a promise despite promising the DOF thing over 12 months ago, considering Les was sacked in Nov 2018. Then the high energy players we desperately need in defence (I made a mistake in my earlier post berating the rebuild, I realised we signed attacking players but the emphasis was defence & I was unclear. Apologies). It’s laughable as Ralph has been force fed a new script to read this week intimating and contradicting signing in players in Jan

I think Gao is getting social Engineering lessons from Vladislav Surkov. Feed the public conflicting information to leave them in a perpetual state of confusion so they make ill informed, illogical decisions and don’t know where to aim their discord. I do. At the door of our disinterested, disingenuous Chairman Gao. #GaoOut

I have very little confidence that the club have what it takes to resolve whatever issues are lurking and have been clearly festering for three years now. We’ve danced a very fine line between survival and the drop - the chances of being lucky again are lower this season and if anyone needs reminding why, I would suggest they take a close look at the individual performances across the team in the Leicester game...the result is bad enough, but a deeper view of the patterns of play, positional sense, passing accuracy, etc. is shocking.

Here’s a prediction. By the end of January we will have papered over the cracks...there will have been a couple of passable game results. And Ralph will start to once again to become a target for dissatisfied supporters. We will not have signed players that walk straight into the first team to improve our chances. We may have a new DoF, but that person will not be in a position to have made any appreciable difference - too little too late. And we will still be flirting with the relegation zone.

Anyone disagree?

I have very little confidence that the club have what it takes to resolve whatever issues are lurking and have been clearly festering for three years now. We’ve danced a very fine line between survival and the drop - the chances of being lucky again are lower this season and if anyone needs reminding why, I would suggest they take a close look at the individual performances across the team in the Leicester game...the result is bad enough, but a deeper view of the patterns of play, positional sense, passing accuracy, etc. is shocking.

Here’s a prediction. By the end of January we will have papered over the cracks...there will have been a couple of passable game results. And Ralph will start to once again to become a target for dissatisfied supporters. We will not have signed players that walk straight into the first team to improve our chances. We may have a new DoF, but that person will not be in a position to have made any appreciable difference - too little too late. And we will still be flirting with the relegation zone.

Anyone disagree?

Only bit I disagree with is "flirting with the relegation zone", we started flirting 3 years ago, she, the relegation zone, wants more, she has had enough of our empty promises, and is now 8 months pregnant and has told the wife.

I think the club and media department are compulsive, strategic liars and nothing will happen. Just my instinctive belief based on history under this tenure. It goes from bad to worse to utter neglect.

If we do appoint a DOF, I fear it will be so low key, small time & underwhelming, it would likely be a result of monitoring social media and doing anything to band aid the gushing artery which Gao’s neglect has caused.

We are aiming high it seems. We are aiming to be like Brighton. What did Cortese know, competing with Chelsea for academy status?! As a side note, I’m struggling to understand why we aren’t having more academy prospects break through when you consider our catchment area. This underfunding seems to have permeated through every pore of the club. I guess that’s natural & logical. The scouting network, analysts, players, youth team and the coaching set-up which is particularly poor and I would feel a solid number 2 to Ralph, a permanent, quality replacement to Röhl is as important as the DOF. If not more important. Bin Kelvin. Bring in some quality. Instead, the club ignore the issue and offer the fans an abject, great wall of silence.....

...until our 9-0 defeat.

Just to remind you what the CLUB said to the telegraph & the our fanbase:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/

I quote Southampton Football (via The Telegraph. The Club never seem to leave a source name. I’m guessing so they can’t be accountable for their fan pacifying, potless & pointless spin)

“Southampton’s board and ownership have given their full backing to manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after the shattering 9-0 record-equalling Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Friday, pledging to rebuild the squad rather than remove their Austrian coach.

The staff were told on Saturday morning that the club’s belief in the approach of Hasenhuttl is unshakeable and that there will be changes in the short-term as well as the long to players after two seasons of struggle. A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break.

The club acknowledge that they have lost their way in recent years with mistakes in the transfer market but believe that there is a clear way forward with collegiate decisions being made on scouting intelligence to sign players. Currently in 18th place in January they will address the most pressing problems that they have at full-back and centre-back. There is an acceptance that the club do not have the right profile of player in every position to suit Hasenhuttl's pressing-style game.”

“The club believe that Hasenhuttl’s high press model is the way forward and have made it clear to the squad that they will get rid of players before they sack their manager. In meetings at Staplewood, the Saints training ground, staff and players have been left in no doubt that the backing for Hasenhuttl is not simply cosmetic while a replacement has been found.”

So, Ralph isn’t going anywhere (which is the right decision) and, in the club’s words, rebuilding the squad it is. A replacement DOF has been found. Let’s hope it is of a profile that will make a difference, as in an improved difference as the club don’t specify which. Let’s simply ignore ALL further words by the club and judge them purely by their actions from now on. That way, none of their string of hollow & broken promises will fool us.

Well said. Ignoring the flowery words is a good idea, particularly because I am good friends with the media team at sfc I know they just write what they are told by those at the top.

I think when you read the laughable & hugely disingenuous context of the daily Echo weekly wipe, no fans take any of those articles even remotely seriously. I’m just sad that this deceitful tosser duped everyone. I believe Kat thought she was going right and who wouldn’t want a multimillion pound investment? We are often too quick to judge and abuse those that may not deserve it, such is the SOUTHAMPTON way. #WeMarchOffTheEdge #GreatWallOfBullsh*t

I meant the echo and the club comments, if that wasn’t clear

Enough pointless writing and worrying about the club. We are f**ked. I love football but I’m fast getting ground down and disenchanted by the pathetic way our club is run. Selling any form players to anyone, joke owners but what repels me most is the social engineering and massive amount of lying just up offer lip service in a weak attempt to maintain gate receipts. Much like modern politics. No sense of care. I’m sick of it. Until Gao invests or leaves, they will not get another penny from me. #GaoOut #GreatWallOfBullsh*t #WeMarchBackwards

Can’t even manage to attract a small time appointment from a championship club with no budget & fairly low stock, no offence to Preston. Our stock is probably lower now. What a joke. I would’ve liked to see someone of Ilk, like Wenger or some rated German talent. Fat chance. We will get some bargain basement, low ambition addition who will be totally out of their depth, which will perpetuate our lack of investment and maintain our huge slump in form and continue our demise in quality across every facet of the club. I’ve had enough. #GaoOut

Can’t even manage to attract a small time appointment from a championship club with no budget & fairly low stock, no offence to Preston. Our stock is probably lower now. What a joke. I would’ve liked to see someone of Ilk, like Wenger or some rated German talent. Fat chance. We will get some bargain basement, low ambition addition who will be totally out of their depth, which will perpetuate our lack of investment and maintain our huge slump in form and continue our demise in quality across every facet of the club. I’ve had enough. #GaoOut

Don't you think it would be wise to see who we actually end up appointing before reaching for the razor blades? ;)

Don't you think it would be wise to see who we actually end up appointing before reaching for the razor blades? ;)

It would be a good thing to wait, but on here, no chance.

They are queuing up to have a pop before he`s appointed but that will be nothing to

the scale of writing off once the name is known

I am also wondering how he interpreted 'Saints have no interest in appointing Preston's head of recruitment Joe Savage as their new director of football.' to mean 'Can’t even manage to attract a small time appointment from a championship club'.

I'm still fuming about the bargain basement low ambition first team manager we recruited this time last year.

I'm still fuming about the bargain basement low ambition first team manager we recruited this time last year.

Why do you think Ralph was bargain basement, low ambition? I realise most of your comments are laced with sarcasm. It’s just that the club potentially targeted the Preston guy because he worked with the lowest budget in the league which doesn’t set the world alight for ambitious and confidence into rebuilding our decimated club. I suppose different supporters have different sets of standards.

Why do you think Ralph was bargain basement, low ambition? I realise most of your comments are laced with sarcasm. It’s just that the club potentially targeted the Preston guy because he worked with the lowest budget in the league which doesn’t set the world alight for ambitious and confidence into rebuilding our decimated club. I suppose different supporters have different sets of standards.
If you honestly cannot navigate through the point of my post, the I will type this really slowly for you. We have not recruited that bloke from Preston so stop having a fu cking seizure about it.

If you honestly cannot navigate through the point of my post, the I will type this really slowly for you. We have not recruited that bloke from Preston so stop having a fu cking seizure about it.

Fcking hell we’re even worse than Preston, and they’re sh1t

Stop making things up they never even enquired for the Preston guy