Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    The only decision that Les can actually be credited for is taking the decision to appoint Koeman, which, was a great one... partially down to allowing him to have a significant input in transfers (Pelle and Mane).

He also let Koeman leave, because the arrogant c**t thought he could easily do better and believed his own hype.

When NC was here, he was relatively small fry *****il he stabbed him in the back to take his job, from what I believe).

Overall, I’d give Les a 4/10 and it’s only a 4 because of the 2 great seasons under RK.
    I know nothing about what went on at Board level and who was responsible for what so well done in being so well informed as to Reed’s input to the club over the years.

Default Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    If a seperate head of recruitment is taken on thats fine, getting some decent players in asap is vital.
    Agreed and I am hoping this appmnt along with recruitment person will sort out the 2 areas that have gotten us in this mess coaching and getting decent replacements for sold players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really know anything about Matt Crocker so can't judge his suitability. But surely it can only be a good thing that we have someone in place at board level who actually understands the technical side of the game.

When was he at Saints previously and what was his record like? Apparently he's been at the FA since 2013, so I'm assuming he was here during the good years when we actually produced some decent players from the academy, yes?

Very positive appointment IMO. Let's hope he can work some wonders.

Does he still live in Hythe?

Better get a move on with that player recruitment "expert"

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    I know nothing about what went on at Board level and who was responsible for what so well done in being so well informed as to Reed’s input to the club over the years.
    He isn't, he just makes out he is, has a selective memory and is a quitter too

What about Željko Buvač are we still in for him as an assistant? That would be the icing on the cake.

We still need some decent coaches though....
    And a centre back/captain
    And a defensive midfielder
    And a manager who keeps a settled side

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Really good appointment, especially as a Player Recruitment expert will also be appointed.

Crocker did a great job at Saints, already knows the club really well as has overseen the best period in the FA of youth success.

Excellent, a step in the right direction.
    Totally agree - good to have a serious football brain in a senior position.

The academy/coaching has been poor and deteriorating since he left, would be good to have him back.

No pleasing some people on here apparently! Looks like a good appointment on the face of it, has overseen the recent good times for England and I expect the FA will be sad to see him go. (As an aside - seems like a fair few people have handed in their notice since dear old Les Reed joined the FA - coincidence?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    When was he at Saints previously and what was his record like? Apparently he's been at the FA since 2013, so I'm assuming he was here during the good years when we actually produced some decent players from the academy, yes?
    "The move marks a return to the South Coast club for Crocker, who was their Academy Manager during a golden seven years in which they produced the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Callum Chambers, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw.

Prior to this he was Academy Manager at Cardiff City - the club he himself had represented as a youngster - and during this time they also enjoyed great success, turning out Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley."

From here:
    https://trainingground.guru/articles...in-southampton

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    We still need some decent coaches though....
    And a centre back/captain
    And a defensive midfielder
    And a manager who keeps a settled side
    And a left back and a right back and a target man .....assistant manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cracking up at the "leavers" on here that p155 their pants at the thought of Red Bull Southampton. If you still think that we are a family / community club and dont want to lose our identity then you need to get out of the rock you've been living under for the past decade or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    Better get a move on with that player recruitment "expert"
    No doubt they'll have one in place on 1st Feb...

And the revolving door continues.

I'm at St Mary's right now, just popped into the boardroom. No sign of Matt Crocker.

Had to chuckle at the engraved board of former chairmen where someone has scratched Rupert Lowe's name out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I'm at St Mary's right now, just popped into the boardroom. No sign of Matt Crocker.

Had to chuckle at the engraved board of former chairmen where someone has scratched Rupert Lowe's name out.
    I expect his first port of call would be Staplewood.

Quote Originally Posted by igsey View Post
    No pleasing some people on here apparently! Looks like a good appointment on the face of it, has overseen the recent good times for England and I expect the FA will be sad to see him go. (As an aside - seems like a fair few people have handed in their notice since dear old Les Reed joined the FA - coincidence?)

"The move marks a return to the South Coast club for Crocker, who was their Academy Manager during a golden seven years in which they produced the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Callum Chambers, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw.

Prior to this he was Academy Manager at Cardiff City - the club he himself had represented as a youngster - and during this time they also enjoyed great success, turning out Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley."

From here:
    https://trainingground.guru/articles...in-southampton
    He is simply asking a question so get off your high horse and have a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by EBS1980 View Post
    Where did/does the Red Bull links even come from?!?
    As in Red Bull****

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Good work whoever did that. hahaha. Nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Mockles View Post
    He is simply asking a question so get off your high horse and have a breather.
    I think it was pretty obvious that his first sentence was not actually aimed at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    I expect his first port of call would be Staplewood.
    Oh yeah, I know. I was just being silly.

There's no train picture in the boardroom these days. One of Marcus and then Channon's cup final shirt and Le Tiss's shirt from when he scored THAT goal at Blackburn away.

Quote Originally Posted by igsey View Post
    Just got back from aged mum who mentioned Saints had a new manager, so I checked my phone and saw the news on the BBC. I think this is positive, but I thought to myself exactly the same thought about the resignations under Reed..

This is great news, Matt Crocker would be a great appointment. I wonder who the new head of recruitment will be? Surely Steve Walsh as he is currently out of work and has been doing some scouting already for us alongside Martyn Glover. And the icing on the cake would be getting Buvac into become Ralph's number two

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2...all-operations

Time for a sticky?

And a change of thread title?

Note the comment on the OS that he'll start work early 2000. Hope this doesn't mean no Head of Recruitment until Matt Crocker has his feet under the table.

I see the club are still peddling this “Southampton Way” ********.
    I thought they had quietly buried that one.

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Note the comment on the OS that he'll start work early 2000. Hope this doesn't mean no Head of Recruitment until Matt Crocker has his feet under the table.
    "Get the De-Lorean started, Marty, we're going Back to the Future! 88 gigowatts!"
    We could do with going back to 2000 and started all over again!

Finally on the OS. My, he looks so young, he must be like 23??!!

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    "Get the De-Lorean started, Marty, we're going Back to the Future! 88 gigowatts!"
    We could do with going back to 2000 and started all over again!

Finally on the OS. My, he looks so young, he must be like 23??!!
    Hopefully we win the cup in 2003 this time.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Hopefully we win the cup in 2003 this time.
    And not get relegated. Oh wait, that'll mean no Markus and we'll still have the ruddy-cheeked bastard in charge. But then again, no Gao.

My head hurts ....

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    I firmly believe what you are saying. It works in politics, it works for big business, why wouldn't a football club use the same tactics.

The one thing I don't get is why the papers/media go along with it. There's nothing they like better than a scoop or exclusive that they are first to reveal. If we can see through it surely there comes a time when a sports editor sits back and thinks "hang on, every story that club x feeds us turns out to be ******, next time they send us one just bin it". Or are they that desperate for stories they'll knowingly print sh1te?
    I think you've answered your own question.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    I firmly believe what you are saying. It works in politics, it works for big business, why wouldn't a football club use the same tactics.

The one thing I don't get is why the papers/media go along with it. There's nothing they like better than a scoop or exclusive that they are first to reveal. If we can see through it surely there comes a time when a sports editor sits back and thinks "hang on, every story that club x feeds us turns out to be ******, next time they send us one just bin it". Or are they that desperate for stories they'll knowingly print sh1te?
    Because they get exclusive access to other true bits of information and because they know they will get a lot of interest and eyeballs from fans of the club for doing it. The club can put out their version of events which will be liberally sprinkled with truth but with as much positivity as possible and as its not directly quoted by them they aren't held to account for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kucho View Post
    I thought with the at the end of the first sentence people would realize I wasnít being serious with the post.
    Ah, yes, I see it now. Blinded by LOLlery

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    It was in a paper and it hasn't happened. That's a rumour. Has every story in the telegraph about us come true? Where it hasn't, what makes you say that it was a planted story rather than paper talk? Same applies here.
    I don't think you understand what the word rumour means.

35. Default

Jobs for the boys

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Jobs for the boys
    Seems likely. Trouble is Dave Watson is one of the boys so he'll be going absolutely nowhere now.

Is it just possible that dear old Les has done us a favour? He owed us one for sure.

If Crocker really is as good as the OS bullish:t suggests than why would he want to come here of all places; spare me the sentimental claptrap about "rejoining the club he always loved and never wanted to leave"

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Is it just possible that dear old Les has done us a favour? He owed us one for sure.

If Crocker really is as good as the OS bullish:t suggests than why would he want to come here of all places; spare me the sentimental claptrap about "rejoining the club he always loved and never wanted to leave"
    Missed out on the top job at the FA, but not high enough profile to jump to a DOF job at a top club. Few years at Saints (assuming we somehow manage to avoid relegation) will pad his CV nicely.

In he context of what could be happening right now this old article is worth reading again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...king-game.html

40. Default

In he context of what could be happening right now this old article is worth reading again

The can call us what they like if they stop us from signing players like Carrillo.

Blog Entries

Seems likely. Trouble is Dave Watson is one of the boys so he'll be going absolutely nowhere now.
    Watson left England before Matt Crocker left us and joined England.

Blog Entries

I seem to remember Markus had some sort of link with RB before he bought Saints, something low key in Switzerland. RB and Liebherr also have links with their trucks in rallying. The rumours about RB and Southampton have never surprised me.

What could be happening right now? Based on what? Twitter garbage? Red Bull is never going to buy us.

The only thing we have in common with the other teams in that article is we play in red and white already. RB like to buy clubs from the lower leagues with little to no history - although they did 'aparantly' look at Leeds i think a Premier League team is too rich an investment upfront for RB. Would love the ambition they would bring, just feel we are to 'big' a club for them to buy

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    What about Željko Buvač are we still in for him as an assistant? That would be the icing on the cake.
    Indeed it would with Walsh behind the recruitment side. That would show progression and a club finally addressing its missing infrastructure. A strong strong sign on intent. Better late than never but where does it leave us this season? Buvac is what we and Ralph are crying out for and that would really propel us forward. More so with a small handful of wisely selected additions in January but we do not want to get ahead of ourselves as this is only one delayed appointment & our crisis is immediate. It’s a step in the right direction.

I am really pleased with this appointment and it's the first step forward but please don't do the usual Saints habits. I have a mild concern or insecurity (judging by recent history) that they may appoint people after January and make excuses over appointment delays. This is only a reservation and I hope I'm completely wrong because this would be suicidal and this appointment is hopefully a sign that the club have possibly woken up to addressing the neglect that has sent us to the foot of the table.

Onwards and upwards. Just capitalise with the other support staff and use January wisely. That will make or break us. Choose wisely.

Well it looks like some good news at last, but there’s more important work to get done...an assistant manager/coach of Rohl’s quality and three new quality players in the Jan window.

. Itís a step in the right direction.

I am really pleased with this appointment and it's the first step forward

So it turns out the correct thing to do was to wait and see who we appointed, then?

Because it turns out we haven't appointed "a bargain basement, low ambition addition who will be totally out of their depth" after all.

Still, we couldn't attract that mega-star coach from Preston North End that we definitely wanted so how will we ever live down the humiliation.

Canít even manage to attract a small time appointment from a championship club with no budget & fairly low stock, no offence to Preston. Our stock is probably lower now. What a joke. I wouldíve liked to see someone of Ilk, like Wenger or some rated German talent. Fat chance. We will get some bargain basement, low ambition addition who will be totally out of their depth, which will perpetuate our lack of investment and maintain our huge slump in form and continue our demise in quality across every facet of the club. Iíve had enough. #GaoOut

There's plenty that Goa has got wrong,but his major staffing appointment - Ralph, and now this guy - have been sound and plenty ambitious enough. That isn't particularly the problem.

Where we agree is we have massive problems on the playing side which is kinda important.

Smacks of an appointment with minimal research. Of all the potential DoFs in the world the best is someone already known by the club. What a surprise. So when we need new ideas because the last stratedgy failed, we're back to the Southampton Way. More recruiting any young player we think we can turn a profit on and little regard for building a team. Typically disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    Smacks of an appointment with minimal research. Of all the potential DoFs in the world the best is someone already known by the club. What a surprise. So when we need new ideas because the last stratedgy failed, we're back to the Southampton Way. More recruiting any young player we think we can turn a profit on and little regard for building a team. Typically disappointing.
    Ugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    More like a shift back to the days where our academy/scouting actually worked! Positive step for me