Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

As per the Wallace article post Leicester:

"A new senior recruitment figure who will occupy a similar position to the departed director of football operations, Ross Wilson, will also arrive before the next international break.

The new director of football has been identified and will be expected to work with the scouting network in finding a profile of quick, high-energy players that suit the Hasenhuttl style. The partnership with Hasenhuttlis expected to be along the lines of that between Graham Potter and his technical director at Brighton and Hove Albion, Dan Ashworth, formerly of the Football Association

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/amp/

The next Intl break begins after the Everton game....

No update on this? The international break is upon us

Did anyone really think the club have a cohesive and competent master plan? And one that involved keeping to the DoF story spun to supporters?

They must think we’re mugs. I think many of us were when we believed the Board might actually rescue the situation three years ago, but time has run out...goodwill has been worn thin...nothing short of a miracle will rectify the current demise. And the sad thing is we’re not even at rock bottom yet, but if the players heads are anything to go on it’s just around the corner. I’m probably not alone when I say I’m almost at a point where I just don’t care anymore.

Did anyone really think the club have a cohesive and competent master plan? And one that involved keeping to the DoF story spun to supporters?

They must think we’re mugs. I think many of us were when we believed the Board might actually rescue the situation three years ago, but time has run out...goodwill has been worn thin...nothing short of a miracle will rectify the current demise. And the sad thing is we’re not even at rock bottom yet, but if the players heads are anything to go on it’s just around the corner. I’m probably not alone when I say I’m almost at a point where I just don’t care anymore.

I care and we are not going down.

Ta, Dusic. Missed that.
No worries. Buried in the Everton post math thread which was probably best left alone.

Lets hope it is true anyway, Club in dire need of some good leaders at all levels.

Will be interesting to see if its someone with knowledge of British football or not.

Back in the 90s on the steam driven version of TSW ( the Saintslist) I remember a protracted argument about DOFs. They just started to become a thing and the general feeling was that the football manager should be totally in charge of player recruitment and that DOF’s were surplus to requirement. How times have changed!

Genuinely, does anybody know anything about this? The silence is rather deafening...

From Manji, post 526 of RH thread:

He will be announced just before first game after international break , should have ****ed off our old boy hanger on coaches by then as well.

Ralph approves of the DOF too.

He will be announced just before first game after international break , should have ****ed off our old boy hanger on coaches by then as well.

Can we deduce from that that he is someone currently involved at international level whose current contract expires at the end of Euro qualifying rounds?

Hope he is right and this the start of a complete overhaul of the coaching/back room staff, considering the decline in players, poorness of the youth teams/youth coming through and the general failure of scouting over the last 3/4 years, can anyone in there really hold their head up high?

We haven't had many long term injuries/regular injuries to my recollection so maybe the physios and sport science teams can, the rest of them though, scouts, first team coaches, analysts, youth coaches/managers, etc. not so much.

Paul Tisdale? Was practically manager and DoF at Exeter. Spotted young talent and sold them for profits- worked with no money. Rang England to tell them to look at Ampadu but they said he wasn’t in their thinking. Now playing for Wales. Out of work...

Out of work fits our profile for making appointments perfectly.

So - maybe Marcello Lippi (once named the best manager in the World) or Paul Tisdale (Team Bath and Exeter City - once the longest serving league manager)

You just know which way we will go!

I would have thought it would be better (if available) he was in position at least a week before our next game to settle in etc (i know he wouldnt affect the day to day preparations) - it would help the club (The squad?) and perhaps confidence to have someone to be in position now.

I think someone on here has stated that he has Ralphs approval which i would guess means we arent going to the "Tisdale" end of appointments?

Why? I’d have him, great bloke

There's a collection of managers who have been round and round the circuit, getting sacked time and again. In what other walk of life would you interview a man aged 70 with a list of sackings? We don't want any of those well worn old timers

So - maybe Marcello Lippi (once named the best manager in the World) or Paul Tisdale (Team Bath and Exeter City - once the longest serving league manager)

You just know which way we will go!

I would have thought it would be better (if available) he was in position at least a week before our next game to settle in etc (i know he wouldnt affect the day to day preparations) - it would help the club (The squad?) and perhaps confidence to have someone to be in position now.

I think someone on here has stated that he has Ralphs approval which i would guess means we arent going to the "Tisdale" end of appointments?

Hi Paul, sorry you didn’t get it. Best of luck though!