Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

I don't really know anything about Matt Crocker so can't judge his suitability. But surely it can only be a good thing that we have someone in place at board level who actually understands the technical side of the game.

When was he at Saints previously and what was his record like? Apparently he's been at the FA since 2013, so I'm assuming he was here during the good years when we actually produced some decent players from the academy, yes?

Really good appointment, especially as a Player Recruitment expert will also be appointed.

Crocker did a great job at Saints, already knows the club really well as has overseen the best period in the FA of youth success.

Excellent, a step in the right direction.

Totally agree - good to have a serious football brain in a senior position.

The academy/coaching has been poor and deteriorating since he left, would be good to have him back.

No pleasing some people on here apparently! Looks like a good appointment on the face of it, has overseen the recent good times for England and I expect the FA will be sad to see him go. (As an aside - seems like a fair few people have handed in their notice since dear old Les Reed joined the FA - coincidence?)

When was he at Saints previously and what was his record like? Apparently he's been at the FA since 2013, so I'm assuming he was here during the good years when we actually produced some decent players from the academy, yes?

"The move marks a return to the South Coast club for Crocker, who was their Academy Manager during a golden seven years in which they produced the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Callum Chambers, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw.

Prior to this he was Academy Manager at Cardiff City - the club he himself had represented as a youngster - and during this time they also enjoyed great success, turning out Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley."

From here:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/exclusive-crocker-leaving-fa-to-join-southampton

Cracking up at the "leavers" on here that p155 their pants at the thought of Red Bull Southampton. If you still think that we are a family / community club and dont want to lose our identity then you need to get out of the rock you've been living under for the past decade or more!

No pleasing some people on here apparently! Looks like a good appointment on the face of it, has overseen the recent good times for England and I expect the FA will be sad to see him go. (As an aside - seems like a fair few people have handed in their notice since dear old Les Reed joined the FA - coincidence?)

"The move marks a return to the South Coast club for Crocker, who was their Academy Manager during a golden seven years in which they produced the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Callum Chambers, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw.

Prior to this he was Academy Manager at Cardiff City - the club he himself had represented as a youngster - and during this time they also enjoyed great success, turning out Aaron Ramsey, Chris Gunter, Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley."

From here:

https://trainingground.guru/articles/exclusive-crocker-leaving-fa-to-join-southampton

He is simply asking a question so get off your high horse and have a breather.

I expect his first port of call would be Staplewood.

Oh yeah, I know. I was just being silly.

There's no train picture in the boardroom these days. One of Marcus and then Channon's cup final shirt and Le Tiss's shirt from when he scored THAT goal at Blackburn away.

Just got back from aged mum who mentioned Saints had a new manager, so I checked my phone and saw the news on the BBC. I think this is positive, but I thought to myself exactly the same thought about the resignations under Reed..

This is great news, Matt Crocker would be a great appointment. I wonder who the new head of recruitment will be? Surely Steve Walsh as he is currently out of work and has been doing some scouting already for us alongside Martyn Glover. And the icing on the cake would be getting Buvac into become Ralph's number two :)

Note the comment on the OS that he'll start work early 2000. Hope this doesn't mean no Head of Recruitment until Matt Crocker has his feet under the table.

"Get the De-Lorean started, Marty, we're going Back to the Future! 88 gigowatts!"

We could do with going back to 2000 and started all over again!

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-11-26/southampton-football-club-announcement-matt-crocker-director-of-football-operations

Finally on the OS. My, he looks so young, he must be like 23??!!

"Get the De-Lorean started, Marty, we're going Back to the Future! 88 gigowatts!"

We could do with going back to 2000 and started all over again!

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-11-26/southampton-football-club-announcement-matt-crocker-director-of-football-operations

Finally on the OS. My, he looks so young, he must be like 23??!!

Hopefully we win the cup in 2003 this time.

I firmly believe what you are saying. It works in politics, it works for big business, why wouldn't a football club use the same tactics.

The one thing I don't get is why the papers/media go along with it. There's nothing they like better than a scoop or exclusive that they are first to reveal. If we can see through it surely there comes a time when a sports editor sits back and thinks "hang on, every story that club x feeds us turns out to be ******, next time they send us one just bin it". Or are they that desperate for stories they'll knowingly print sh1te?

I think you've answered your own question.

I firmly believe what you are saying. It works in politics, it works for big business, why wouldn't a football club use the same tactics.

The one thing I don't get is why the papers/media go along with it. There's nothing they like better than a scoop or exclusive that they are first to reveal. If we can see through it surely there comes a time when a sports editor sits back and thinks "hang on, every story that club x feeds us turns out to be ******, next time they send us one just bin it". Or are they that desperate for stories they'll knowingly print sh1te?

Because they get exclusive access to other true bits of information and because they know they will get a lot of interest and eyeballs from fans of the club for doing it. The club can put out their version of events which will be liberally sprinkled with truth but with as much positivity as possible and as its not directly quoted by them they aren't held to account for anything.

It was in a paper and it hasn't happened. That's a rumour. Has every story in the telegraph about us come true? Where it hasn't, what makes you say that it was a planted story rather than paper talk? Same applies here.
I don't think you understand what the word rumour means.

Is it just possible that dear old Les has done us a favour? He owed us one for sure.

If Crocker really is as good as the OS bullish:t suggests than why would he want to come here of all places; spare me the sentimental claptrap about "rejoining the club he always loved and never wanted to leave"

Missed out on the top job at the FA, but not high enough profile to jump to a DOF job at a top club. Few years at Saints (assuming we somehow manage to avoid relegation) will pad his CV nicely.

Is it just possible that dear old Les has done us a favour? He owed us one for sure.

If Crocker really is as good as the OS bullish:t suggests than why would he want to come here of all places; spare me the sentimental claptrap about "rejoining the club he always loved and never wanted to leave"

Missed out on the top job at the FA, but not high enough profile to jump to a DOF job at a top club. Few years at Saints (assuming we somehow manage to avoid relegation) will pad his CV nicely.

In he context of what could be happening right now this old article is worth reading again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7516473/Footballs-Red-Bull-revolution-energy-drink-empire-shaking-game.html

I seem to remember Markus had some sort of link with RB before he bought Saints, something low key in Switzerland. RB and Liebherr also have links with their trucks in rallying. The rumours about RB and Southampton have never surprised me.

In he context of what could be happening right now this old article is worth reading again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7516473/Footballs-Red-Bull-revolution-energy-drink-empire-shaking-game.html

I seem to remember Markus had some sort of link with RB before he bought Saints, something low key in Switzerland. RB and Liebherr also have links with their trucks in rallying. The rumours about RB and Southampton have never surprised me.