Director of Football Operations Replacement Thread

SuperSAINT

I didn’t see the Red Bull link on Instagram, but suddenly everything falls in to place ;)

This is their game plan.

Kat wants to sell up and Dietrich Mateschiz (spelling) calls Kat and says he is interested in buying Saints.

Kat replies: the fans, city and everyone connected to Saints wouldn’t except that. We have to do it on another way.

Mateschiz replies: I know this Chinese bloke who might want to buy the club, let him buy it and do what I say. Gao will do anything I tell him to do, he’s not sharpest businessman.

After the takeover Mateschiz calls Gao.

Mateschiz: listen Gao, first you keep everything quiet for the first year, play the waiting game with all connect to Saints. After 1 year I want you to sack Reed and Hunter. Then hire Ralph Hasenhuttl, I know him and I want him onboard. Next you remove Krueger and start moving coaches on we don’t want. And don’t forget, keep quiet on the transfer market, I don’t want players I cannot shift once we take over.

In a years time the fans, players, sponsors everyone will be desperate for you to leave and that’s when we come in. Copy that Gao? I’ll pay you and Nelly handsomely for this.

I've read some utter b*llocks as conspiracy theories on here in the past but this one takes the biscuit

I'd take the Red Bull branding if we were as ambitious and well run as Leipzig.

Not for me. That would be the step too far. You can take the corporate crap and shove it up your soulless backsides.

If it were to happen I would take what spare sheckles I have under the bed, and with the aid of crowd funding start a new Southampton FC, wearing red and white stripes, and owned by people from our community. In fact thinking about it come on Red Bull do your worst.

What I hate in life, is when people announce deadlines and it doesn’t happen.

It looks so unprofessional and makes us look like utter mugs.

If you can no longer meet the deadline, just say so, so people don’t get left hanging.

Communication at SFC is a shambles and has been for a very long time.

I can’t abide this form of cowardly lying which seems on the increase in all facets of life. Saying what people want to hear with no intention of honouring your words (like so many obvious politicians). The club have operated in this disingenuous manner for too long now and the club really needs to work on winning the fan’s trust back. It’s hugely disrespectful.

As a club we are experts at missing deadlines. We are still yet to announce the elusive five pledges which were literally on Kruger’s desk awaiting sign off in January 2018, for implementing from February 2018.

A culture of delays and failure has been allowed to permeate through the club and I pinpoint the disastrous launch of the five pledges as the start of the erosion.

Krueger was a man of unintelligible talking b*llocks. Most laughable being his excuse for Gao’s contempt towards never addressing the fan base of his intentions being ‘cultural differences’.

The club lie and prevaricate. Their words mean nothing and they have proven their contempt for the fans by the majority shareholder never ever engaging the fan base which says so much about his attitude. The club have lied for the past 3 years, consistently. The Promes façade and going back in for him in Aug, the rebuilding Ralph’s squad (I think this backtrack was the real reason Rohl left and realised they were sold a dead duck), excuses for not signing in various transfer windows (goal posts being constantly changed/moved to the next – i.e. Jan a bad time cos of Carillo meaning no signings can ever happen again to due to this one clusterf*ck y Reed, the club have to sell to buy (after being purged of all our best/most saleable assets), too many players on wages, agent fees, etc.), various staff replacements, Gao taking us forward, almost every single word Kruger uttered, DOF and Jan signings [yet to be realised]) 2019/2020, Reed replacement in Nov 2018, etc. etc.

Where did/does the Red Bull links even come from?!?

Someone's imagination I think ;o) PSV EindeSaints or Samsung Saints would feel strange.

Same place as the new dof/coaching restructure before the end of the international break - the rumour mill.

It wasn’t though was it. It was an interview from the club only they didn’t quote a source name as is a common place tactic with disingenuous pledges often used by politicians ‘on behalf of their party’. I.e. They have been instructed/coerced to bait the public/fans with false platitudes and when people are reticent to put their name to something they can’t honour (as they have an iota of integrity), the management tell them not use a source name so they can’t be held accountable and they can distance themselves. It is basically, lying for cowards. The Independent didn’t conjure the pledges from thin air and it isn’t a coincidence the prevaricating diatribe emanated directly after the Leicester leathering, to placate the fans. The club wanted to pacify the fans so they did what they do best and have done throughout Gao’s reign, they offered false platitudes. Why you dismiss this as pure rumour is beyond me.

Having said that, wouldn’t it be great if we got Crocker as DOF/Academy boss, Walsh as head of recruitment and Buvac as assistant coach. More chance of Chinese pigs flying Deliveroos to your doorstep but the thought is nice!!!! It can’t stay bad forever, surely?!

Personally I couldn’t give a toss if a deadline has been missed. So long as we get the right people in the right jobs in time to try and do something useful in the January transfer window I will be a happy bunny. Oh, and a decent coaching set up soon would be good too please.

It wasn’t though was it. It was an interview from the club only they didn’t quote a source name as is a common place tactic with disingenuous pledges often used by politicians ‘on behalf of their party’. I.e. They have been instructed/coerced to bait the public/fans with false platitudes and when people are reticent to put their name to something they can’t honour (as they have an iota of integrity), the management tell them not use a source name so they can’t be held accountable and they can distance themselves. It is basically, lying for cowards. The Independent didn’t conjure the pledges from thin air and it isn’t a coincidence the prevaricating diatribe emanated directly after the Leicester leathering, to placate the fans. The club wanted to pacify the fans so they did what they do best and have done throughout Gao’s reign, they offered false platitudes. Why you dismiss this as pure rumour is beyond me.

Having said that, wouldn’t it be great if we got Crocker as DOF/Academy boss, Walsh as head of recruitment and Buvac as assistant coach. More chance of Chinese pigs flying Deliveroos to your doorstep but the thought is nice!!!! It can’t stay bad forever, surely?!

It was a newspaper article, i.e. a rumour. Additionally, somebody on here claiming to be ITK added their view, i.e. an additional rumour.

This whole thing has sprung up from rumour, nothing more and I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that the club began the rumour.

I've with you on the last point though; that would be a stellar group of people.

It was a newspaper article, i.e. a rumour. Additionally, somebody on here claiming to be ITK added their view, i.e. an additional rumour.

This whole thing has sprung up from rumour, nothing more and I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that the club began the rumour.

I've with you on the last point though; that would be a stellar group of people.

Odd that you would consider it a pure rumour conjured out of thin air rather than something planted by the club to placate fans seeing as that's been a pretty consistent pattern from sfc, in particular using the telegraph.

I didn’t see the Red Bull link on Instagram, but suddenly everything falls in to place ;)

This is their game plan.

Kat wants to sell up and Dietrich Mateschiz (spelling) calls Kat and says he is interested in buying Saints.

Kat replies: the fans, city and everyone connected to Saints wouldn’t except that. We have to do it on another way.

Mateschiz replies: I know this Chinese bloke who might want to buy the club, let him buy it and do what I say. Gao will do anything I tell him to do, he’s not sharpest businessman.

Mateschiz: listen Gao, first you keep everything quiet for the first year, play the waiting game with all connect to Saints. After 1 year I want you to sack Reed and Hunter. Then hire Ralph Hasenhuttl, I know him and I want him onboard. Next you remove Krueger and start moving coaches on we don’t want. And don’t forget, keep quiet on the transfer market, I don’t want players I cannot shift once we take over.

In a years time the fans, players, sponsors everyone will be desperate for you to leave and that’s when we come in. Copy that Gao? I’ll pay you and Nelly handsomely for this.

You should be writing for Eastenders with storylines like that - genius......totally unbelievable but briliant all the same :lol:

Odd that you would consider it a pure rumour conjured out of thin air rather than something planted by the club to placate fans seeing as that's been a pretty consistent pattern from sfc, in particular using the telegraph.

It's a newspaper story and there's nothing "odd" with treating newspaper rumours as exactly that.

Obviously, the Red Bull story is true. It’s why we loaned them Josh Sims, and one of our keeper coaches worked at Red Bull Salzburg.

Might stop conceding late goals if the players had a good slug of that at half-time.

Red Bull Southampton, like it.

Would obviosuly have to change the badge. Also, we'd have to call ourselves RB Southampton (RB of course standing for Round Ball).

This is their game plan.

Not sure what you are on, but, people, STAY OFF THIS ****!!!!

Your premise: "...the fans, city and everyone connected to Saints wouldn’t except (accept) that". So fu cking what? Its none of their business. Since when has public opinion decided who owns a footy club? Mike Ashley? I rest my case.

Basically if it was a bit unpopular then they spend a few k on PR, then "try to survive" those massive Saints Forum protests. As in, ignore them, as will 95%+ of the fan base

It was clearly more than just "a rumour" as the cub have been seeding stories to The Daily Telegraph for a long time now.

It was clearly more than just "a rumour" as the cub have been seeding stories to The Daily Telegraph for a long time now.

It was in a paper and it hasn't happened. That's a rumour. Has every story in the telegraph about us come true? Where it hasn't, what makes you say that it was a planted story rather than paper talk? Same applies here.

The club is actively recruiting someone to lead the football side of the business. Naturally, recruiting the right person can take time, target deadlines will no doubt be set and at times missed. Contract negotiations and compensation agreements take time. It doesn't mean it's not happening.

It was in a paper and it hasn't happened. That's a rumour. Has every story in the telegraph about us come true? Where it hasn't, what makes you say that it was a planted story rather than paper talk? Same applies here.
The reason the club plant this stuff in papers is so that they have plausible deniability and useful idiots can dismiss it all as paper tall when the events they've pushed out to placate fans doesn't happen.

It's really amusing that you dismiss this sort of thing as simply paper talk seeing as I know personally people working at the club's media department and I know what they are instructed to do.

The reason the club plant this stuff in papers is so that they have plausible deniability and useful idiots can dismiss it all as paper tall when the events they've pushed out to placate fans doesn't happen.

It's really amusing that you dismiss this sort of thing as simply paper talk seeing as I know personally people working at the club's media department and I know what they are instructed to do.

You believe that the club plant that these stories "to placate fans when they don't happen". I'm struggling to understand how any fan expecting something to happen will feel placated when it doesn't happen just cos the paper said it would. That's nuts - the obvious reaction is the opposite.

Tell me which telegraph stories that didn't come true came from the club, and how you know (rather than assume) that they came from the club.

Personally, I'll continue to accept that papers are capable of writing boll0cks without help from Southampton fc.

You believe that the club plant that these stories "to placate fans when they don't happen". I'm struggling to understand how any fan expecting something to happen will feel placated when it doesn't happen just cos the paper said it would. That's nuts - the obvious reaction is the opposite.

Tell me which telegraph stories that didn't come true came from the club, and how you know (rather than assume) that they came from the club.

Personally, I'll continue to accept that papers are capable of writing boll0cks without help from Southampton fc.

Believe what you want. I know for certain that one tactic from club pr is to feed things to the telegraph to quell fan disgruntlement. It's a tactic which worked under pellegrino, it worked in the January window with reports about Walcott and promes and its worked now after the 9-0. We have specific scenarios for what to do after a heavy defeat for example or after a prolonged period of bad form or just before a transfer window opens. One of the things involved were those cringey interviews we used to do with krueger and planting unattributed stories with contacts in the media is another tactic.

I'm not saying we aren't looking to recruit some more leadership at the club, but this article has quite transparently been released by sources at the club to demonstrate that they are in control in the immediate aftermath of a heavy defeat and they will have exagerrated some areas to make themselves look good. If you think its stuff all invented by the papers then you clearly have very little experience in this area.

Believe what you want. I know for certain that one tactic from club pr is to feed things to the telegraph to quell fan disgruntlement. It's a tactic which worked under pellegrino, it worked in the January window with reports about Walcott and promes and its worked now after the 9-0. We have specific scenarios for what to do after a heavy defeat for example or after a prolonged period of bad form or just before a transfer window opens. One of the things involved were those cringey interviews we used to do with krueger and planting unattributed stories with contacts in the media is another tactic.

I'm not saying we aren't looking to recruit some more leadership at the club, but this article has quite transparently been released by sources at the club to demonstrate that they are in control in the immediate aftermath of a heavy defeat and they will have exagerrated some areas to make themselves look good. If you think its stuff all invented by the papers then you clearly have very little experience in this area.

Spot on. Even the way that Wallce article reads is with certainty. "Will" and "Have" rather than "Should" or "Might".

Ita no suprise fans are hacked off with it after the numerois examples of these tactics and often little to show for it.

Also highlights why losing the likes of Adam Leitch from the local scene is a shame. Now is the time you want the media following up on these types of things but on Thursdays presser Ralph is more likely to be asked about Zlatan than a new Assistant or how he feels the clubs recruitment will work without key personnel.

I'm not sure whether to take that to mean that you actually know that the club have planted fake stories, or that's what you've told yourself. I think it's the latter.

Answer the other point though please. How would any fan expecting something to happen feel placated when it doesn't happen just cos the paper said it would? Your whole conspiracy theory is based on the fact that fans will believe a lie (printed in the telegraph of all places) and somehow feel happier if the lie doesn't come off just cos they read about it. And what then, ie what's the point of these planted lies? Does the fan who saw a 9 nil defeat on the telly rush out and buy tickets for the next home game, or go and buy his kid a shirt cos the telegraph said that the cavalry are coming? It's boll0cks pal, journalists are full of sh:te

I'm not sure whether to take that to mean that you actually know that the club have planted fake stories, or that's what you've told yourself. I think it's the latter.

Answer the other point though please. How would any fan expecting something to happen feel placated when it doesn't happen just cos the paper said it would? Your whole conspiracy theory is based on the fact that fans will believe a lie (printed in the telegraph of all places) and somehow feel happier if the lie doesn't come off just cos they read about it. And what then, ie what's the point of these planted lies? Does the fan who saw a 9 nil defeat on the telly rush out and buy tickets for the next home game, or go and buy his kid a shirt cos the telegraph said that the cavalry are coming? It's boll0cks pal, journalists are full of sh:te

It's not a "fake" story, it's an overly exagerrated pr piece released to friendly journalists to make the club look better. It's a fairly standard pr tactic and it's one we have employed on a number of occasions. It's very clear that it's worked too, many fans are more satisfied simply by the talk of ambitions and exciting signings even if ultimately they don't come off. When we ended up not signing promes for example we got weeks of mileage out of that story and undoubtedly fans were less critical than they would have been had there been radio silence from the club at the time. Do you think its a coincidence that immediately following a massive defeat the Telegraph suddenly invents a positive news story? And what that does is gives the fans somethibg else to talk about and speculate on something that may happen a few months in the future rather than ruminate for too long on the defeat itself. Immediately following the Leicester loss, the club told those working in marketing not to release anything through the clubs official channels over the rest of that weekend, knowing there would be a lot of backlash and they got the newspaper piece out to allow that to do the talking for them and yes I know that happened because I spoke to some people who were given those instructions. Maybe you could say why you consider this sort of thing unlikely for the club to do?

As I, said, you clearly haven't had a lot of experience with how PR works if you don't think that carefully planted positive news stories aren't utilised to influence fan opinions and quieten discontent even if only for a period of time.

Edited by hypochondriac

It's not a "fake" story, it's an overly exagerrated pr piece released to friendly journalists to make the club look better. It's a fairly standard pr tactic and it's one we have employed on a number of occasions. It's very clear that it's worked too, many fans are more satisfied simply by the talk of ambitions and exciting signings even if ultimately they don't come off. When we ended up not signing promes for example we got weeks of mileage out of that story and undoubtedly fans were less critical than they would have been had there been radio silence from the club at the time. Do you think its a coincidence that immediately following a massive defeat the Telegraph suddenly invents a positive news story? And what that does is gives the fans somethibg else to talk about and speculate on something that may happen a few months in the future rather than ruminate for too long on the defeat itself. Immediately following the Leicester loss, the club told those working in marketing not to release anything through the clubs official channels over the rest of that weekend, knowing there would be a lot of backlash and they got the newspaper piece out to allow that to do the talking for them and yes I know that happened because I spoke to some people who were given those instructions. Maybe you could say why you consider this sort of thing unlikely for the club to do?

As I, said, you clearly haven't had a lot of experience with how PR works if you don't think that carefully planted positive news stories aren't utilised to influence fan opinions and quieten discontent even if only for a period of time.

I firmly believe what you are saying. It works in politics, it works for big business, why wouldn't a football club use the same tactics.

The one thing I don't get is why the papers/media go along with it. There's nothing they like better than a scoop or exclusive that they are first to reveal. If we can see through it surely there comes a time when a sports editor sits back and thinks "hang on, every story that club x feeds us turns out to be ******, next time they send us one just bin it". Or are they that desperate for stories they'll knowingly print sh1te?

The other scenario is that it was fed from the club (and reading it this is quite obvious) at a time when they had that intention. AKA it was true at the time. But things change, and perhaps the subjects have done due diligence on the club, or just watched us play. Or we have absolutely no cash and don't want to take the risk. Or we are in negotiations over being sold (please save us, Red Bull), thus stymying a reasonably important decision such as this. Thus, limbo.

Jeremy Wilsons Tweets:

Matt Crocker will return to Southampton as new director of football operations, replacing Ross Wilson. Crocker has been at FA since 2013 where he was a contender last year to become technical director. Previously academy manager at Southampton. Announcement later today

Some added detail on Matt Crocker - same title as Ross Wilson but plan is for him to have a role more similar to that of Les Reed previously whereby he oversees broader strategy through the age groups. Southampton still looking to appoint someone else specialising in recruitment

Not sure what you are on, but, people, STAY OFF THIS ****!!!!

Your premise: "...the fans, city and everyone connected to Saints wouldn’t except (accept) that". So fu cking what? Its none of their business. Since when has public opinion decided who owns a footy club? Mike Ashley? I rest my case.

Basically if it was a bit unpopular then they spend a few k on PR, then "try to survive" those massive Saints Forum protests. As in, ignore them, as will 95%+ of the fan base

I thought with the ;) at the end of the first sentence people would realize I wasn’t being serious with the post.

Appointing the English FA's head of player and coach development lacks ambition? :mcinnes:

A recruitment specialist is also being appointed according to Jeremy Wilson

Les Reed wrote the f*cking coaching manual for England once and look how that turned out. :mcinnes:

Appointing the English FA's head of player and coach development lacks ambition? :mcinnes:

A recruitment specialist is also being appointed according to Jeremy Wilson

Does this appointment which is obviously based on youth development help us in the here and now with relegation a strong possibility?

Does this appointment which is obviously based on youth development help us in the here and now with relegation a strong possibility?

Yes because when we get relegated we can reintroduce the Southampton way and return our values getting back to the premier league with our home grown squad

#marchingback

Do you mean the bit where he played a key role getting the club from the lower leagues to the Premier League. Yes, Reed made mistakes in the last few years at the club... but don't ignore all the good he did

The only decision that Les can actually be credited for is taking the decision to appoint Koeman, which, was a great one... partially down to allowing him to have a significant input in transfers (Pelle and Mane).

He also let Koeman leave, because the arrogant c**t thought he could easily do better and believed his own hype.

When NC was here, he was relatively small fry *****il he stabbed him in the back to take his job, from what I believe).

Overall, I’d give Les a 4/10 and it’s only a 4 because of the 2 great seasons under RK.

So who would you have appointed now that can get this mess sorted?

Isn’t this the first steps appointing someone with football knowledge to a board that has none?

We have a skint owner our only way is to grow own and that’s in a mess and he did a great job before.

This is first step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great move of true. There was surprise when Les got the job over Crocker in the first place. From some people in the game I know, he will be much more demanding than Les was in the right areas so I’d imagine some of the academy staff from senior to lower will be made to answer some questions about why the standards have slipped and so many good people have been replaced by average ones.

Really good appointment, especially as a Player Recruitment expert will also be appointed.

Crocker did a great job at Saints, already knows the club really well as has overseen the best period in the FA of youth success.

Excellent, a step in the right direction.

So who would you have appointed now that can get this mess sorted?

Isn’t this the first steps appointing someone with football knowledge to a board that has none?

We have a skint owner our only way is to grow own and that’s in a mess and he did a great job before.

This is first step

If a seperate head of recruitment is taken on thats fine, getting some decent players in asap is vital.

The only decision that Les can actually be credited for is taking the decision to appoint Koeman, which, was a great one... partially down to allowing him to have a significant input in transfers (Pelle and Mane).

He also let Koeman leave, because the arrogant c**t thought he could easily do better and believed his own hype.

When NC was here, he was relatively small fry *****il he stabbed him in the back to take his job, from what I believe).

Overall, I’d give Les a 4/10 and it’s only a 4 because of the 2 great seasons under RK.

I know nothing about what went on at Board level and who was responsible for what so well done in being so well informed as to Reed’s input to the club over the years.

If a seperate head of recruitment is taken on thats fine, getting some decent players in asap is vital.

Agreed and I am hoping this appmnt along with recruitment person will sort out the 2 areas that have gotten us in this mess coaching and getting decent replacements for sold players