Natasha Patel

sadoldgit

I personally have a scepticism for all this analytics because it's not working. Throw ins are still awful, movement is almost non existent, shooting is terrible, defending set pieces is appalling. Hardly any of the players have shown any improvement over the years and we have bought some real crap for a lot of money. Bin the computers and employ people that know football and can recognise a footballer by their performances on the field or lack of.

Im happy to, with Eric Black, Ralph K and Les gone we need another scapegoat. Id never heard of her until this thread, but it all fits now. Patel out!

:lol: So she was head of analysis. We have only just bought someone in to replace Rohl who is supposed to be an analyst. How many are there?

I would have thought this kind of role would be perfect for AI tbh. I remember seeing footage of the analysis department when Roadsea was first redeveloped and they were showing off the black box etc. Two or three programmers is all we need, sack all these football manager players they've hired :)

I personally have a scepticism for all this analytics because it's not working. Throw ins are still awful, movement is almost non existent, shooting is terrible, defending set pieces is appalling. Hardly any of the players have shown any improvement over the years and we have bought some real crap for a lot of money. Bin the computers and employ people that know football and can recognise a footballer by their performances on the field or lack of.

Isn't this just a modern trend and fad in many industries and professions though ? Measuring KPI's, SLA's and whatever other buzzwords and crap management speak come up with. Your last sentence could read for any organisation by changing reference to football and footballers to sales/surveyors/technicians/ whatever.

Seems that we're turned crap on the pitch, and although this probably manifests itself in the data, the critical thing is - despite all the analysts - that no one is able to alter it.

But we do need people to analyse the analysts.

Sums up many companies. Someone commented about 15 years ago that for everyone doing the job there were about two people measuring it.

The entire sport is using this kind of data, just because we're doing it badly doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Why is it an either/or? Do you seriously think our awful throwins are due to our data analysts? Yes we need some decent coaches instead of our existing set up, especially our 2 ex keepers, but getting rid of the analytic side won't help that. We seem to have gone backwards sinc eRohl left, and guess what his forte was?

There’s a difference between using data for descriptive and prediction purposes. Discovering hidden gems in the transfer market (an example of prediction) based on modelling various player and contextual features is still a fools errand. Understanding opposition tendencies (an example of description) based on systematic data collection -in effect an extension of old-fashioned scouting- is far more useful.

Edited by shurlock