Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Ohio Saint

Just like Saints. In the 70's I thought they were awesome. I've been listening to them now for 30 minutes, it turns out it was just Keith Emerson feeding his ego till his balls dropped off.

It feels like watching Saints right now.

This was gonna be a longer post, but I've lost the will.

I hope I die soon

I too was a big ELP fan in the 70s. Very much a product of their time. Keith Emerson was a musical genius and could play anything. He also pioneered the use of synths, which at the time were not considered “proper” musical instruments. The Nice were a cool band too. They got slagged off a lot as their influences were white European music rather than black American. The early 70s were all about musical virtuosity for many bands, especially the Prog rock genre. ELP, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and others produced some amazing music in the early to mid 70s. Listen to Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, Nursery Chryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and In The Court Of The Crimson King to give you a taster. I was lucky enough to see all of those bands live at the time. It’s not music to dance to, like classical music it needs to be listened to and takes time to appreciate. Record companies used to give bands time to develop and used to indulge them, mostly for better (sometimes for worse) but now music is pretty much just product. Some of the artwork on the album covers was awesome at the time too. Roger Dean’s covers for Yes, early Genesis covers, Giger’s(from Alien) cover for Brain Salad Surgery, In The Court Of The Crimson King etc. Sadly many of the artists have now passed away but some are still going strong. I saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman play an evening of Yes music a couple of years ago and they were still on good form. Robert Fripp is still doing the rounds with King Crimson. Steve Hackett is still touring playing Genesis stuff as well as his solo material. There are a number of really good tribute bands out there too who are keeping the music alive. Not everyone’s cup of tea I guess but if you ever get bored of radio friendly music there is plenty of stuff out there produced by outstanding musicians that can blow the cobwebs out of your brains.

Nostalgia time. Very much part of my teenage years. Saw them in Nov 72 in Bournemouth at start of their UK Trilogy tour. First ever proper live gig. Saw loads of that sort of stuff mainly in Bournemouth as was over that side of the Forest. Genesis, twice Selling England by the Pound and Lamb tours, Yes, as well as some of the more 'industrial stuff' like Purple, Free, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind etc. Happy times. Apart from seeing Ultravox at the Mayflower (or was it still The Gaumont then?) sometime in the 80's I've not been to a live concert since, but I reckoned I ended on a high with Led Zeppelin at Earl's Court in 75. Most of that stuff just feels very dated now.

Writing a suite of music about an armour plated armadillo that hatches from an egg under an erupting volcano, then fights a series of battles before finally diving, critically wounded, into the water and becoming aquatic. Genius ( I think ).

If you think that is freaky check out The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis!

Writing a suite of music about an armour plated armadillo that hatches from an egg under an erupting volcano, then fights a series of battles before finally diving, critically wounded, into the water and becoming aquatic. Genius ( I think ).

Oh is that what it was about :-)