Chinese ownership and the almighty RMB

OfnPanad

We've probably all seen the NBA Vs China controversy over the past week. If not, a quick Google of Daryl Morey and LeBron James will get you there.

I was uneasy when 4/5 of our club was sold to a Chinese businessman. The track record has not been amazing for football clubs and Chinese owners.

I'm more uneasy than ever now. China's human rights abuses and totalitarian regime, previously easy to ignore, have jow jumped firmly out from behind the great firewall, attacking the former British Colony of Hong Kong (whilst our government hmm loudly and look the other way).

They have now shown that they expect sports stars and clubs to also kneel before Xi and toe the CCP line or risk losing the vast and maybe/maybe not real amounts of money being thrown at them.

Morey deleted his tweet...why? LeBron came out saying basically that everyone should have ignored the people being killed by the CCP for one more week so he could cash in with a cleaner conscience.

Meanwhile NBA "fans" in China have declared their support for Bin Laden and 9/11 and that it should happen again and again.

Do we want to be like this? Do we want to be beholden to such people? Sport is NOT separate and "unifying", unless you mean we ALL have to pretend we're OK with the CCP's evil brand of communism.

NBA is second best to English football in China for sure. I for one would be over the moon if the controversy spread to football and we kicked out the Chinese advertising that's all over our shirts and stadium hoardings, and waved bye bye to our mainland owner. It's all blood money.

#freehongkong

#standwithhk

Top level football in england is ****ed. Blame sky, blame the Chinese, blame whoever. In the next decade i can see 3 or 4 massive clubs going out of business. I just pray we aren't one of them....
Well to be fair if it's a massive club going out of business it won't be us [emoji6]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

People in sport shouldn't use their 'fame' and following as sports people to comment on political issues and foreign regimes. The results of doing this are bloody obvious. They sure as hell aren't going to give you money to do so and (god forbid) they might even express their disapproval in your actions.

IF you publicly disagree with your employer over a national or social media platform you'll find yourself sacked - simple.

I'm your typical white average straight non-religious guy (and I think the chinese are wrong in this instance, and the nazis were bad and Trump is a nutter and etc etc) but it always amazes me how unwilling people are to consider any other view other than their own to have any merit or even basis for consideration.