Wolves 1-1 Saints - Reaction

PaulSaint

FT. 1-1.

Well at least we stopped the rot of the straight defeats, but that game was there for the taking. We just don't have the quality to punish teams. We desperately need Djenepo back and quickly. He's the only player who has looked truly dangerous in attack so far this season.

Can't say no to a point on the road I guess.

We can when the only reason they equalised was because of a very harsh penalty call. I thought VAR was supposed to eliminate things like that. It was a blatant dive that conned the ref, so I don't see how they can claim it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Ref was utterly shocking. VAR bailed him out twice, conned for the penalty, called several clean tackles as fouls, cost us 2 points.

Thought we did ok. Passing was poor for about 30 minutes then we woke up a bit, we were poor after our goal but then looked pretty comfortable after their goal.

Good away point.

Plenty of positives.

Hojberg much better. Valery and Bertrand decent. Yoshida good as always. Nice cool collected finish by ings.

532 seems to be much better shape for us. While there were still moments of shakiness from the defense but we looked on the whole more comfortable and it helped us make it less easy to score.

You can very much see why boufal didn’t start. Some nice control but some terrible cheap turnovers.

The bad. Ralph’s subs. Take off a right back who is playing well so you don’t have to take off jwp. Jwp looks a goal waiting to concede so he takes off Romeu to bring on another makeshift right back and turn jwp into a makeshift defensive mid.

Was it Ralph’s tactics at 1-0 to have everyone sit deep and defend. If so that was crazy. Carrying on playing how you’d got to 1-0.

Even though he lost the ball a couple of times - Boufal immediately made us look more of an attacking threat - he should have been on earlier. The Wolves Manager made two attacking changes - one of them at half time - which changed the momentum. Wolves defence looked suspect today but with only ings and Redmond as attack minded players, the situation called for Boufal on earlier. Once again Ralph kept JWP on for the whole game despite him being anonymous throughout - apart from the well taken free kick. A good point which could have been three.

A decent point and better than I expected, especially when even VAR was deceived somehow by a player cheating by wrapping his leg around the back of another player and then falling over. That player should hang their head in shame, as should the VAR ref. Nevertheless we are still so slow and predictable in our build up play...we look like a poor Prem team.

On a wider note, I still don’t see the point in JWP...can’t tackle, can’t deliver a decent forward pass (nearly always backwards) and most of his dead ball delivery of late is appalling. He adds so little to the side it’s laughable and I honestly believe we have better in the U-23’s. Gunn is not better than McCartney who may have made a fist of saving the penalty and got lucky with the handball decision because once again he got caught short.

A decent point and better than I expected, especially when even VAR was deceived somehow by a player cheating by wrapping his leg around the back of another player and then falling over. That player should hang their head in shame, as should the VAR ref. Nevertheless we are still so slow and predictable in our build up play...we look like a poor Prem team.

On a wider note, I still don’t see the point in JWP...can’t tackle, can’t deliver a decent forward pass (nearly always backwards) and most of his dead ball delivery of late is appalling. He adds so little to the side it’s laughable and I honestly believe we have better in the U-23’s. Gunn is not better than McCartney who may have made a fist of saving the penalty and got lucky with the handball decision because once again he got caught short.

Didn't know Gunn could sing!

People are going to have to get used to the fact that if there is contact and the ref gives it, then VAR will never overrule it. In essence it can't. If you do overule it then how do you set the future benchmark of how strong a player needs to be touched to cause them to fall over? It will only ever overrule if the ref gives it and there is clearly zero contact. BTW i'm not actually disagreeing with you...but just saying that's the reality.

People are going to have to get used to the fact that if there is contact and the ref gives it, then VAR will never overrule it. In essence it can't. If you do overule it then how do you set the future benchmark of how strong a player needs to be touched to cause them to fall over? It will only ever overrule if the ref gives it and there is clearly zero contact. BTW i'm not actually disagreeing with you...but just saying that's the reality.

Understand what I you’re saying, but this was the nature of the contact...Hojberg did not touch the back of the players leg or place his leg in front of the opposing players leg. No, the opposing player deliberately placed his leg BEHIND Hojbergs and simulated a trip. This was once a cynical and cheating way of gaining a foul, largely seen in foreign players and VAR was supposed to stamp such cheating behaviour. For me, there was equal if not more justification in VAR ruling out the penalty than the offside.

I will say though that despite this being a decent point, my interest has massively lessened since the Europa adventures really. Boring football that's difficult to enjoy and starting every season with survival being pretty much the maximum we can achieve and very little indication that this will change any time too. Ho hum.

I wrote in the build up that Wolves fans reckon they blow hot and cold. Today the only heat was when they tackled and a more aware Ref would have seen through their theatrics. A point is better than a loss but we should have taken all three points today.

My main criticism is of Ralph for playing Gunn and JWP. He really does need to sort the problem before it's too late.

Understand what I you’re saying, but this was the nature of the contact...Hojberg did not touch the back of the players leg or place his leg in front of the opposing players leg. No, the opposing player deliberately placed his leg BEHIND Hojbergs and simulated a trip. This was once a cynical and cheating way of gaining a foul, largely seen in foreign players and VAR was supposed to stamp such cheating behaviour. For me, there was equal if not more justification in VAR ruling out the penalty than the offside.

The onus then is going to be on the referee not to give it in the first place. If todays had NOT been given, it would have been interesting to see if it would have been overrturned by VAR. My guess is they would NOT have given a penalty after review.

Excellent effort from everyone today. A lot of incisive through-ball passes. Some good work down the left-wing in the first half. A lot of good, pacey runs from Redmond. The defence looked solid in the first half, but vulnerable in the second.

I thought we deserved three points today, but happy that we held on for at least one.

We had to take something from the game and we did. Would have taken a point before kick-off so am fine with that now. Thought we played well. Was convinced the VAR team would rule out their non-penalty but clearly they have no desire to call out the ref when they get it wrong...which completely defeats the object - doh!

Ings played really well today. Redmond always at the heart of attacking moves, breaks up defensive patterns by stepping round men - Boufal does the same just a little more wasteful with possession. Yoshida solid. Valery a bit flaky at first but improved. JWP MIA and Vestergard a liability that should have prevented their non-penalty moment from ever happening. Gunn...was lucky with both Raul's no-goals but did okay afterwards coming and claiming high balls.

I don't think VAR has overturned a single qualitative decision in the entire league this season - only offsides (black and white) and attacking handballs (black and white (in theory - Spurs proving that wrong today)).

It's a shame, I was a big fan of the idea of VAR and thought it worked well in the world cup. When they didn't change refereeing decisions in the first couple of weeks it was clear it was only going to be an offside corrector.

considering we don't get points at home, we needed more than just an away point.

We've played Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Bournemouth.

I'll start making statements like that after we've played Brighton, Norwich and Newcastle. 7 points from 4 games away to our rivals is decent whoever you are.

Exactly this. The PL rightly wants to avoid the women's WC VAR fiasco, and not have 3 minute delays to analyse things to the tiniest details. Unless it's a clear and obvious error the ref's decision stands. VAR did great today (again).

A better performance today. Interesting that Blackmore, on Solent, interviewed Romeu last week where Romeu apparently said the team was trying to play to much pretty football and they wanted to get back more to the way they played last season.

Seemed to be the case today they pushed up more, pressed more and tried to get the ball forward quicker. It ain't pretty but with the players we have it seems to be the way that works best.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2 massive points dropped. The win was there for the taking. Yet again. Not good enough. Going down

I presume your belief we're going down is based on having lost the previous 3 matches. If this had been the first match of the season I bet most here would've been pretty happy with today's performance and looking forward to a decent season.