Saints v Leicester Build-up

SuperSAINT

There’s not a shed load left at all and funny enough there will be more home fans in the stadium than there has been for a long while

You're right, far better than expected considering we're not that good (particularly at home), Friday night live on Sky with most expecting a the worse.

https://tickets.saintsfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/VisualSeatSelection.aspx?stadium=SM&product=PH19LE&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=HOME&productIsHomeAsAway=N&_ga=2.182957989.2090564318.1571948567-1589244274.1571679817

A few around the ground but only about 50 left from the block sent back by Leicester.

The thing I've noticed about Vestergaard is that his forward passes are random. There is about a 50/50 chance that they will find one of our players. His sidewards and backwards passes, however, are clearly aimed at his team mates. This gives him an overall pass success rate of more than 50%. When I played football myself, at a much lower level, I was big and useless too but my random forward passes from the back would occasionally lead to a goal. People would say, well done or good pass, but I the truth was had no idea how I'd found one of my own men and, as far as I can see, neither does Vestergaard.

Each team playing Ralph's style has one or two man who can do the long pass from defense to the attackers. It is almost a shot, very accurate (hopefully) and surprises the other team. I am sure Hasenhüttl get this drilled. The success depends upon what the attackers are doing afterward - pass back or go for a goal.

You're right, far better than expected considering we're not that good (particularly at home), Friday night live on Sky with most expecting a the worse.

https://tickets.saintsfc.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/VisualSeatSelection.aspx?stadium=SM&product=PH19LE&campaign=&type=H&productsubtype=HOME&productIsHomeAsAway=N&_ga=2.182957989.2090564318.1571948567-1589244274.1571679817

A few around the ground but only about 50 left from the block sent back by Leicester.

Blimey, there are loads available in the chapel end, wouldn't expect to see attendance at more than 28k tonight.

“The time has come to get what I call dirty wins and make a goal and defend with everything you have and make it as nasty as possible for the opponent to get something here."

those are ralphs words pre leicester game, i like the fact that he is willing to play dirty for the points just hope the players agree and are willing to show the commitment to get a nasty win. also hope we give vardy a taste of his own tricks and we sneak a nasty tackle in there and send him packing early.

“The time has come to get what I call dirty wins and make a goal and defend with everything you have and make it as nasty as possible for the opponent to get something here."

those are ralphs words pre leicester game, i like the fact that he is willing to play dirty for the points just hope the players agree and are willing to show the commitment to get a nasty win. also hope we give vardy a taste of his own tricks and we sneak a nasty tackle in there and send him packing early.

So basically our strategy is to get a scrappy goal and then dig in to defend it at all costs

At home

Against Leicester.

Glad I'm not paying to go and watch that myself.

So basically our strategy is to get a scrappy goal and then dig in to defend it at all costs

At home

Against Leicester.

**** it. If we actually win some home games and pick up some points I'd take a few scrappy 1-0 wins....chances of us actually defending a 1-0 lead however....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

How's our recent record on Sky? As bad as we are, I feel Leicester are due a defeat. They would go 2nd with a win which I can't see happening. Scrappy 2-1 win (Ings pen 41, Vardy 48, Valery 82)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't remember us winning a televised Friday night Home game since 1984, so I am far from optimistic . Also 6 music played Shady Lane by Pavement this morning, and every time they have played it on a matchday, we have lost !

**** it. If we actually win some home games and pick up some points I'd take a few scrappy 1-0 wins....chances of us actually defending a 1-0 lead however....

That's the key thing isn't it. I think we've proven beyond any reasonable doubt over the last few years that we don't have the ability to do that.

At home

Against Leicester.

as you may have noticed, scoring scrappy goals and digging in for the win hasn't been a usual occurance here, its usually the opposite that happens often with the opposition scoring a scrappy goal or a straight forward one and they dig in for the points, also usually succeed in grabbing another goal on the break after we commit too much of our powder puff offensive players forward.

i for one would be glad if we succeeded in pulling off that strategy in the games where we are clear underdogs, which is usually the case this season even against teams comparable to ours. the likes of brighton, bompey, wet spam, leicester even everton were teams you'd usually expect us to dominate and get a win against a few seasons back, but now we need to play as a technically inferior team. which means letting them have possession, stay compact, work hard, win the ball and hit them on the break then dig deep to defend the lead and hope to inflict more damage on the counter while they get more desperate and commit forward. we seem to have the players to play on the counter as well IMO with ings, redders and boufal/djenepo all suited to running against a disorganized defence. lets hope the midfield and defence have enough steel to resist an onslaught of oppo attack for the majority of games.

Blimey, there are loads available in the chapel end, wouldn't expect to see attendance at more than 28k tonight.

28k - 29k will be about right, the ticket office blocked out sales for back few rows around the ground , there were loads left then they took them off sale probably in the hope people buy further down to make the ground look more full for TV.

Leicester sold all 2500 , decent away numbers for a Friday night.

Hopefully still a decent atmosphere and we get at least a point.

Problem is we haven't been winning at all. Last 14 PL games we have a win ratio of just 14% (2 wins).

If he puts out the 5 at the back and 2 DM again I can't see anything more than a draw at best tbh.

And if he doesn't put play 5 at the back and 2 DMs we will get tonked. We have seen time and again, the last couple of seasons, that our current CBs struggle as a 2. 3 at the back with wingbacks is by far our best option with the limited players in our squad.

I'd like to see us revert to the 4-2-3-1 formation that we had so much success with , Obviously won't happen tonight but I think a 2 of Romeu Hoj behind a 3 of Redmond Boufal Moussa and Ings could work better than what we have been trying lately! For me Boufal should start over Jwp or Hoj tonight no point trying to tonight it out with 3 paceless unimaginative midfielders and then trying to change the game with 10 or so minutes to go .

Starting to wonder if Djenepo's injury is one of those which magically gets a LOT better as the January transfer window approaches. Sold already? Liverpool? Another one who realises he's made a mistake coming and he's way better than his teammates? Or am I being unduly cynical. Anyone know the precise nature of his (thigh tendon? ) injury is?

Starting to wonder if Djenepo's injury is one of those which magically gets a LOT better as the January transfer window approaches. Sold already? Liverpool? Another one who realises he's made a mistake coming and he's way better than his teammates? Or am I being unduly cynical. Anyone know the precise nature of his (thigh tendon? ) injury is?

Jesus wept.

Think you are being unduly stupid if that was a serious post.

McCarthy

Valery - Bednarek - Yoshida - Bertrand

Romeu - Hojbjerg

Boufal - Redmond

Ings - Adams

Would be my choice. Assuming it'll be Vestergaard and Ward-Prowse in for Boufal and Adams though, another fun game ahead.

Think we have to go with 3 at the back, we're so much better when we play like that as we have another at the back covering one of the inevitable mistakes one of the others makes.

Adrian Clarke says Saints must start converting and cash in on the chances they create

17th-placed Saints have recorded 92 shots (excluding blocks) as they head into Friday night's home match with Leicester City.

Only four other Premier League teams have produced more efforts on the opposition goal.

Yet they have scored only one goal in seven of their opening nine fixtures and have not won at St Mary's in six attempts.

Moussa Djenepo (66.7 per cent) and Danny Ings (23.5 per cent) are the only forwards with respectable chance-conversion rates.

Che Adams squandered the most opportunities, missing 0.98 big chances per 90 minutes, before losing his place in the starting XI.

Over the course of the campaign, too many quality chances have been spurned.

Put into context, Brendan Rodgers' Leicester have scored seven more goals despite having 10 fewer shots.

Southampton goal opportunities

Shots (excl. blocks) 925

Big chances missed 135

Chance conversion 9.7%17

Southampton must discover a more clinical edge if they are going to end their winless home run.

Although Hasenhuttl is still searching for the right strategy and formula, using five different formations this season, his side have impressed in bursts.

He has flitted between a back three and a back five but in both formations the full-backs have not contributed consistently enough going forward.

Special delivery

With two attacking midfielders often used narrowly in behind the main striker, there is an onus on the wide men to deliver quality crosses.

But these have been in relatively short supply.

Yan Valery and Kevin Danso were first choice at the start of the season for Hasenhuttl but neither has been productive inside the opposition half.

Established Southampton stars Ryan Bertrand, who has since regained his place, and Cedric Soares offer more potency going forward.

Full-back supply lines per 90mins

Soares1.004.336

Bertrand0.933.177

Valery0.451.8011

Danso01.67

With Sofiane Boufal, Nathan Redmond and Ings the team's chief creators, the service needs to significantly improve from the flanks.

If it does, Southampton's goal tally will follow suit.

When you consider that three of Saints' nine Premier League goals have stemmed from individual errors made by the opposition, and another coming from the penalty spot, they have had a significant helping hand.

Performances not rewarded

However, statistics show that Hasenhuttl's side deserve more points than they have earned.

According to Opta's Expected Goals (xG) metric, they should have scored five additional goals and conceded on five fewer occasions.

So to climb away from the foot of the table it is essential they show greater efficiency at both ends of the pitch.

The data indicates their performance levels are capable of achieving significantly better results.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1464666

Edited by doddisalegend

Just don’t think 442 / 4222 works for us. I think were another quality CM, and definitely a quality CB short of being able to play that formation and not be wide open. Seem to be generally more resolute with 5 at the back, so I’d expect to see that again tonight.

Gunn

Valery – Benerak – Danso – Yoshida – Bertrand

Hoijberg – Romeu – Ward Prowse

Redmond

Ings

Would personally like to see JWP taken out and play Boufal instead so we have more of a 3 going forward, but don’t expect to see it happen.

2-1 or 3-1 Leicester is prediction, hope I am wrong.

Think we have to go with 3 at the back, we're so much better when we play like that as we have another at the back covering one of the inevitable mistakes one of the others makes.

Certainly wasn’t the case against Burnley or Spurs. Gaps and mistakes everywhere.

I'm not even going to bother going. Watching JWP etc going sideways and backwards and him and Vestergaard looking like they are running in treacle has sucked the enjoyment out of it. It doesn't much resemble football. Forward players making runs and being ignored, defenders passing it around and getting caught out, even the very best teams put their foot through the ball if in danger. We desperately need a player in the middle that controls the game similar in style to Modric etc not a headless chicken or two like JWP and PEH.

Just don’t think 442 / 4222 works for us. I think were another quality CM, and definitely a quality CB short of being able to play that formation and not be wide open. Seem to be generally more resolute with 5 at the back, so I’d expect to see that again tonight.

Gunn

Valery – Benerak – Danso – Yoshida – Bertrand

Hoijberg – Romeu – Ward Prowse

Redmond

Ings

Would personally like to see JWP taken out and play Boufal instead so we have more of a 3 going forward, but don’t expect to see it happen.

2-1 or 3-1 Leicester is prediction, hope I am wrong.

Yeah 5 at the back seems the only way to go currently.

I’d prefer to see Gunn and jwp drop out of that lineup but unlikely to happen.

Hopefully we can pick up from last week and secure at least another point.

I've also sacked it off to sit on my sofa drinking beers in the warm !
Me to. I've got my ticket but decided, today, I just couldn't be arsed. Friday night games are just to much hassle, after a long week at work, especially coupled with our generally ****tyness and the crap weather. So radio Solent for me tonight.

Family first today. I'm going to watch it in the warm but my daughter is going for her first Saints match. She was contacted at work by a friend of hers who had a spare ticket. She's been badgering me to go for ages. She asked me if I minded! Let's hope it lives it up to expectations and she brings them luck!

JWP ain’t the problem, he’ll regularly play 2-3 positions per game. He’s a perfect plug for the many gaps in this team. Hojbjerg, Vestegaard, Gunn are all genuine problems. They regularly make mistakes, regularly give the ball away in dangerous positions, and offer very little to our chances of winning. JWP is an easy whipping boy because he’s not exciting, but he does a lot of tidying up for this **** show.