30 years ago today

Stud mark of doom

Love that!

I was always memorized at Rod Wallace's first goal. He does that little dragback with his foot on top of the ball before bursting forward and shooting across Grob. I remember trying it as a kid but it was really hard to replicate. Incredible skill.

I always found that goal very interesting too!

As someone else said, I watched that 89/90 vid loads as a kid.

I always found that goal very interesting too!

As someone else said, I watched that 89/90 vid loads as a kid.

My memory is getting foggy. Was this game the same season that Matty scored a hattrick vs Norwich with his 3rd goal a gorgeous lob over the keeper from right out by the touchline?

My memory is getting foggy. Was this game the same season that Matty scored a hattrick vs Norwich with his 3rd goal a gorgeous lob over the keeper from right out by the touchline?

Yeah that was it. Some real highlights - the 4-1s against Liverpool, Norwich and QPR. The 6-3 against Luton. The 2-2 against Everton where we absolutely battered them but couldn't manage a winner - with Paul Rideout trying to steer a goalbound deflection off a defender in and only managing to put it against the post instead.

I too watched that video over and over, to the point I can probably still recite some of the commentary. Some of the attacking play we produced that season was bloody sensational.

Yeah that was it. Some real highlights - the 4-1s against Liverpool, Norwich and QPR. The 6-3 against Luton. The 2-2 against Everton where we absolutely battered them but couldn't manage a winner - with Paul Rideout trying to steer a goalbound deflection off a defender in and only managing to put it against the post instead.

I too watched that video over and over, to the point I can probably still recite some of the commentary. Some of the attacking play we produced that season was bloody sensational.

Was a brilliant season, I think we outscored everyone but champions Liverpool.

I did not miss a home match that season. Every game on the milton road bar one. I think the game v liverpool.was all ticket and I could only get a ticket in the archers road with the Scousers .. I stood right at the front, middle pen right behind the goal and I can see myself in a bright orange coat on the footage. I can still remember the looks on the liverpool fans faces as I tried to contain myself.

It was the only time I went in the archers.

Think that is my favourite game. Stood on the West Stand terrace and the quality of the performance that day was just incredible. Liverpool had not lost in ages and we blew them away for the whole 90 minutes. Of course with it being Saints I was a bit nervous when they scored with the penalty but they were nowhere near us for most of that match. Matt Le Tiss had a real turn of pace at that time as you can see in a couple of runs during those highlights. Strangely I always remember that game mostly for Jason Dodd getting in the cross for the first in what I think was his home debut. There were some great players on display that day. Can't imagine having a team or performance like that any time soon.

That was the game that Dalglesh disrespected us and loads of letters from Saints fans were published in the Liverpool echo including one from me. What a team. Rod Wallace and MLT together were as exciting a forward pairing as Ive ever seen at Saints