Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

But Hassenhutl needs to have a word with himself and accept his methods aren't working. Not sure he has the humility to do that.

That's a given, It's the way his teams are supposed to play. He needs to identify players that can fit in, JWP out is a first must or whatever he does won't work.

I think it’s much more a case of Ralph was sold a project where he could not only work to with the team but also make more changes to the playing staff than actually happened if you listen to some of his early sound bites he was clearly expecting more players than those that materialised , I personally blame the club for lack of ambition in half heartedly backing their man.

I think it’s much more a case of Ralph was sold a project where he could not only work to with the team but also make more changes to the playing staff than actually happened if you listen to some of his early sound bites he was clearly expecting more players than those that materialised , I personally blame the club for lack of ambition in half heartedly backing their man.
This...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Duncan, to be fair I cant recall a manager you have been supportive of.

I feel you went off Ralph bigtime as he sold your friend SG and so you turn on him.

Ralph is a big disappointment, but look what he has to work with!! Give a chef a tin of corned beef and see what he can make against a rival chef who has the finest cuts of beef.

We as fans have been let down by many people, Les Reed , Ross Wilson, Katrina and Gao. Ralph came and took a big risk by joining us and I think it must have dawned on him after the Cardiff game last season how little he has to work with.

I like Derrys idea of Ings in the midfield as at least he makes cutting passes,the rest of our midfield couldn't cut a sandwich.

I would ask you to be more supportive of the manager as Adam Leitch put it so well on the Total saints podcast, we cant keep binning the manager. Listen to it and Im sure as a reasonable man you will see the sense

I would be more supportive if he stopped having brain farts at the full back position. Watch the opposition who are instructed to hit it behind our right back we are conceding most goals from there.

Anyone who puts JWP at left back ever is either looking for the sack or lost the plot. Armstrong tried but is not a right wing back.

Christ I feel for Ings at the moment only one up for it I love Romeu but he is suffering from what’s been around him and losing any idea of his role like most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he will walk, he's lost belief and so have the players. I've said it before but I'd get Lee Johnson in from Bristol City. Nothing to lose now and he's done three seasons now in the Championship. Fans were calling for his head 2 years ago and he's turned it around. Works with what he has and is a great motivator who can change games when things aren't going well.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

That sounds about right for us. I am just reading up on the comments since Saturday, but I also think he will walk away, so looking for next-one-in. Right now, I hope he stays but it's clear he has lost his sparkle. Losing his right hand man and then having inferior coaches foisted on him has left him a dead man walking. Lee Johnson, if he is the way you describe him, would fit the bill.

No no lets change the manager again and again and keep the players because the players are clearly brilliant. I mean the last four couldn't get them playing well but the next one will be different, or the one after that, or maybe the one after that sooner of later someone will coach the likes of JWP to be better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree with that. If successive managers can't get them playing to a decent level, then it is clearly the players. You can change the jockey as many times as you like, but in the end the horse is only as good as the horse is.

If the reports from Manji about the big meeting last week are correct, and we can expect to see a major re-shuffling of the technical department within the next week or so, then perhaps we should all wait to see the outcome of that before making any assumptions on whether Ralph should stay or go.

It obviously wasn't in Ralph's plans for Rohl to leave in the summer, and we are still in the dark about the real reasons for his departure. Ralph has not been supported with the people he wants/needs, and has had a coaching team made up of "jobs for the boys" ex-players forced upon him, which is about as far from an ideal situation as you can get. Therefore, I am reluctant to place all the blame for our current situation on his shoulders.

If the reports from Manji about the big meeting last week are correct, and we can expect to see a major re-shuffling of the technical department within the next week or so, then perhaps we should all wait to see the outcome of that before making any assumptions on whether Ralph should stay or go.

It obviously wasn't in Ralph's plans for Rohl to leave in the summer, and we are still in the dark about the real reasons for his departure. Ralph has not been supported with the people he wants/needs, and has had a coaching team made up of "jobs for the boys" ex-players forced upon him, which is about as far from an ideal situation as you can get. Therefore, I am reluctant to place all the blame for our current situation on his shoulders.

Oh ok, that explains why he picks Armstrong at RB, Ced at LB, JWP at all, most of the season Gunn instead of Big Mac, Jenny at RWB, etc, etc. Silly me, I thought it was the manager's job to get the best out of players available?

Again, it is the players but that's not the end of it. To get a team that is greater than the sum of the parts it needs blending, It's like building a house with the footings on top of the walls so to speak. There is no shape, how could there be with three center backs that show no conception of playing as a three. The full backs wrongly selected. The clockwork mouse in midfield doing nothing just living for the dead ball situation which he exploits once in a blue moon. Shapeless midfield with no bite or perceptive passing ability, Up front, I feel sorry for them living off scraps but still capable of keeping us in the game.

The Squad is what it is. Ralph needs to grasp the problem and rework the shape and try and get players into positions where they are comfortable and can blend with the natural shape. You can't pick a team just using the shape you have to look at what the players can do, then put them into a shape that gets their natural best out of them and complements their colleagues.

Personally I think Macarthy Valery Bednarek Yoshida Bertrand, Stephens, Ings and Armstrong, Boufal Adams Djenepo. would be a start. I think they could play a lot better than the shot away out of position pedestrian team Ralph is selecting.

Someone needs to. Once the problem is admitted, then it can be solved. Until then ...:(

No doubt things have been said within the privacy of the dressing room etc. but having them in the public domain serves no purpose other than to satisfy the morbid curiosity of the fans and media.

It's like posting step-by-step updates of your divorce on Facebook. Sure, your nosy friends will want to know and no doubt there is plenty to be said but not there for everyone to see.

Again, it is the players but that's not the end of it. To get a team that is greater than the sum of the parts it needs blending, It's like building a house with the footings on top of the walls so to speak. There is no shape, how could there be with three center backs that show no conception of playing as a three. The full backs wrongly selected. The clockwork mouse in midfield doing nothing just living for the dead ball situation which he exploits once in a blue moon. Shapeless midfield with no bite or perceptive passing ability, Up front, I feel sorry for them living off scraps but still capable of keeping us in the game.

The Squad is what it is. Ralph needs to grasp the problem and rework the shape and try and get players into positions where they are comfortable and can blend with the natural shape. You can't pick a team just using the shape you have to look at what the players can do, then put them into a shape that gets their natural best out of them and complements their colleagues.

Personally I think Macarthy Valery Bednarek Yoshida Bertrand, Stephens, Ings and Armstrong, Boufal Adams Djenepo. would be a start. I think they could play a lot better than the shot away out of position pedestrian team Ralph is selecting.

Problem with that is we wouldn’t win a tackle...not that we do now swap Romeu for Stephens am with you.

It depends how you define worse. I doubt we'll be losing 1-5 at home every week in the Championship, like we are now but I'd imagine we'd be solidly in the bottom half. I wouldn't get your hopes up about signing anyone particularly exciting either.

Again with the buzzwords though. What does 'back to basics mean'? Play 4-4-2, with Big Sam in charge? What are you actually, specifically suggesting we should do, which is both feasible and affordable.

By Back to basics I was thinking more in terms of the way the club is run. I envisaged it meaning streamlining the number of employees, coaching, recruitment staff, partners, cutting back on frivolous expenditure, concentrating on getting the foundations secure, putting football issues first, withdraw from initiatives abroad, getting rid of slogans, better and more honest comms. There is a lot of crap surrounding the club, a lot on the payroll just use the club as a stepping stone in their careers, there's no continuity. I deal regularly with the club commercial and marketing depts, and rarely meet the same people. The left hand knows nothing what the right hand is doing. There is no overall structure joining the different depts up. There is no real cohesion among the staff. I could go on and on and that's just off the field. On it? Gawd knows I am no tactician but at the moment the players seem incapable of following the manager's instructions, so I would simplify everything, get them to play their natural game and build confidence up again. We are like a golf pro who has completely lost their golf swing. What do they do? They take time out to go back to basics and rebuild from scratch and if I was a manager I would do that first and foremost. Pick two full backs, 2 central defenders etc etc. With respect you are it seems to me basically prepared to sit tight and see how things pan out? Fair enough but I would rather step in now and change the philosophies that just don't seem to be working, before we are too far down the road. we are all critical of the club at the moment, I was merely trying to see some wood from the trees. Not saying it would work but at least there would be a plan.

Problem with that is we wouldn’t win a tackle...not that we do now swap Romeu for Stephens am with you.

I'm not anti Romeu but he's lost his way, He's not playing anything in midfield, all over the show, needs to reset and sit in front of the back four. I don't rate the ball watching Stephens as a center back but it's high time we tried him as a holding midfielder, his passing is better than Romeu. we just can't carry on with the present way of playing with JWP playing every second.

He has to go to up the tempo. Throws are another issue, instead of waiting for somebody to take it, first to the ball takes it to nearest player immediately everybody else keeps moving. At the moment when ever and where ever we get a throw everything stops.

Duncan, to be fair I cant recall a manager you have been supportive of.

I feel you went off Ralph bigtime as he sold your friend SG and so you turn on him.

Ralph is a big disappointment, but look what he has to work with!! Give a chef a tin of corned beef and see what he can make against a rival chef who has the finest cuts of beef.

We as fans have been let down by many people, Les Reed , Ross Wilson, Katrina and Gao. Ralph came and took a big risk by joining us and I think it must have dawned on him after the Cardiff game last season how little he has to work with.

I like Derrys idea of Ings in the midfield as at least he makes cutting passes,the rest of our midfield couldn't cut a sandwich.

I would ask you to be more supportive of the manager as Adam Leitch put it so well on the Total saints podcast, we cant keep binning the manager. Listen to it and Im sure as a reasonable man you will see the sense

Absolute poppycock - I had never felt so encouraged and hopeful by a manager up to and including the beginning of the season but I have been very shocked how things have unravelled. No, we can't keep binning the manager I agree but the extent to which things have deteriorated means we might not have much choice. I know I hate saying it I really do I can't believe how quickly we have gone off the rails. Saturday's first half convinced me he hasn't got what it takes to turn this around. To play like that after a 9-0 thrashing was poor poor poor. If I had my way sure I would rather Gao resigned but that aint gonna happen. SG is not my friend btw he's my son in law and he was very happy to leave and he left with no bad feelings so that has not come into it whatsoever. He was even at Maine Rd with my daughter for the League Cup-tie to support his old mates.

Not sure why you think Rohl's departure was not of Hasenhuttl's making? The word around Staplewood was they fell out.

Not sure why you think Rohl's departure was not of Hasenhuttl's making? The word around Staplewood was they fell out.

I'm not anti Romeu but he's lost his way, He's not playing anything in midfield, all over the show, needs to reset and sit in front of the back four. I don't rate the ball watching Stephens as a center back but it's high time we tried him as a holding midfielder, his passing is better than Romeu. we just can't carry on with the present way of playing with JWP playing every second.

He has to go to up the tempo. Throws are another issue, instead of waiting for somebody to take it, first to the ball takes it to nearest player immediately everybody else keeps moving. At the moment when ever and where ever we get a throw everything stops.

You eloquently touch on just a couple of quite glaring situations which like many others just don’t get fixed and like with so many of the worst things about us which are coaching and organisation matters-you cannot blame the players all the time for the glaring lack of organisation and coaching... Honestly there are far better organised pub teams out there...

Apologies, I've just re-read my post and can see how it could have been misinterpreted. What I meant by "not in Ralph's plans" was that when he brought Rohl in with him last year, he certainly would not have been expecting to part company with him again before the start of the next season.

I agree. Romeu seems to play the whole game with his back to the opposition goal and I can't remember seeing him turn and drive forward.

As for throw-ins there is never any urgency, nobody is moving about looking for space. They all just stand there thinking 'I hope he doesn't throw it to me'.

The manager is not the problem it is the players. Basically we have the same team as last year and look how that struggled. Is it any surprise we are where we are? Yes we have Djenepo but he is unproven and has been injured Danso is also an unknown quantity and has been played out of position. No point in sacking the manager we need a set team with a purpose maybe time to give youth a chance.

There is in my opinion a huge difference in the perception of posters on here dependent on whether they only see home matches versus those who travel away. Romeu and JWP are clear examples of players who have performed well on the road, our away form has been fine (wins against Brighton and Sheffield Utd, draw at Wolves and narrow defeats to Spurs and City) since the awful opening day defeat at Burnley. We suit the 352 that we typically play away where the onus in on the home team to attack, and we then use space on the counter attack.

But understandably season ticket holders who don’t travel are sick and tired with the home form. We may need a different profile of midfielder for those games, and four at the back would enable more protection against away team counter attacks as we hopefully spend more time camped in their area.

Ralph must be seeing this. We have now a run of very winnable home games coming up and I think a final decision should be made on him when we have played all teams once. 20 points after 20 games should be the objective (we play Chelsea a second time before we play Palace). It is easy to say “we won’t get twelve more points by then” but given our fixtures if we can’t then sadly a change of manager is an imperative. I feel that is a fair way of treating Ralph, not being disloyal and firing him now, but equally not leaving him immune from accountability.

There is in my opinion a huge difference in the perception of posters on here dependent on whether they only see home matches versus those who travel away. Romeu and JWP are clear examples of players who have performed well on the road, our away form has been fine (wins against Brighton and Sheffield Utd, draw at Wolves and narrow defeats to Spurs and City) since the awful opening day defeat at Burnley. We suit the 352 that we typically play away where the onus in on the home team to attack, and we then use space on the counter attack.

But understandably season ticket holders who don’t travel are sick and tired with the home form. We may need a different profile of midfielder for those games, and four at the back would enable more protection against away team counter attacks as we hopefully spend more time camped in their area.

Ralph must be seeing this. We have now a run of very winnable home games coming up and I think a final decision should be made on him when we have played all teams once. 20 points after 20 games should be the objective (we play Chelsea a second time before we play Palace). It is easy to say “we won’t get twelve more points by then” but given our fixtures if we can’t then sadly a change of manager is an imperative. I feel that is a fair way of treating Ralph, not being disloyal and firing him now, but equally not leaving him immune from accountability.

I see where your coming from here but should we allow him 20 games and it turns out nothing has improved then that doesn't allow any manager time to avoid relegation.

If it's true & the players simply have stopped wanting to play for him & there is dressing room disharmony, isn't it better to do something sooner rather than later? Think how long we stuck with Pellegrino? We were extremely lucky not to be relegated.

If there were signs of improvement than yes hang in there, but I've seen nothing from RH that says he's the man to keep us up, have you?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

One of Ralph's issues is playing people out of position. You're advocating playing Stephens out of position as a midfielder, ditto Ings. We need round pegs in round holes.

If it's true & the players simply have stopped wanting to play for him & there is dressing room disharmony, isn't it better to do something sooner rather than later? Think how long we stuck with Pellegrino? We were extremely lucky not to be relegated.

Isn't that exactly what's happened with every manager since Koeman though? The common denominator being the players themselves.

It seems to me that whoever we appoint as manager, some of them will never be happy. Those aren't the kind of people I want in our squad TBH.

Isn't that exactly what's happened with every manager since Koeman though? The common denominator being the players themselves.

It seems to me that whoever we appoint as manager, some of them will never be happy. Those aren't the kind of people I want in our squad TBH.

Whoare these players that have caused trouble with every manager sine Koeman? There aren't too many. JWP, Long, Bertrand, Yoshida, Romeu? At least 3 of those wouldn't say boo to a goose. Really struggle to imagine Poster Boy kicking up a fuss. It's ********, the problem is Ralph can't manage. Great bloke, looked the figs danglies last season but has been found out. Not helped by our worse then fe King useless owners of course.

If there was a falling out, why does it have to be of Hasenhuttl’s making? Couldn’t it have been of Rohl’s making?

If all the reports are true then Hasenhuttl falls out with a lot of players and coching staff. Austin, Hoedt, Lemina, Bertrand and Cedric have all been reported as having a falling out with him.

Not the sort of thing you want to hear when we have a very poor squad and we need a manager to get the best out of them if we are to move up the table.

If all the reports are true then Hasenhuttl falls out with a lot of players and coching staff. Austin, Hoedt, Lemina, Bertrand and Cedric have all been reported as having a falling out with him.

Not the sort of thing you want to hear when we have a very poor squad and we need a manager to get the best out of them if we are to move up the table.

To be fair those players you mention seem to have fallen out with every manager !!!!!

How come we were miles better last season?

I would argue we have a better squad of players now.

We picked up points without ever really looking that impressive or dominant. The new manager bounce combined with a siege mentality can mask deficiencies and lack of quality for a spell but it’s harder to sustain over an entire season, especially if you are reliant on one or two matchwinners (i.e. Redmond), are thin in key areas (i.e. midfield) and it only takes a bad result or two for confidence to unravel. Opposing teams also have more info on you. Needless to say some of RH’s decisions have also not helped matters.

Edited by shurlock

So just get a new squad then. That will be an easy transfer window.

IMO he isn't a manager or a coach.

A manager's duty is to get the best out of what you have and try to build and improve on it.

A coach must motivate and sort out the best tactics.

I've seen absolutely no indication that he has the slightest idea of how to do either at this level

The comments he made in the Telegraph after Everton were disgraceful, blaming everything on the players when good managers take the flak and responsibility.

If he hadn't lost the dressing room before he certainly will have after that.

Needs sacking as soon as a replacement can be identified.

Many years ago I played rugby under three different coaches (I'd grown too heavy and slow on the turn for football).

One was English, one Welsh, and one a New Zealander.

We all realised why Wales were better than England and The All Blacks best of all in those days.

The motivation and will to win of The Kiwi inspired us all, before that we had thought the Welsh guy pretty intense.

Managers do make the difference between a set of players playing well or badly.

Another example Mike Brearley at cricket, hardly the best player but an inspiritional tactician and captain.

However when all said and done the biggest problem in staying in the Prem is that we can't attract or afford the best players.

We picked up points without ever really looking that impressive or dominant. The new manager bounce combined with a siege mentality can mask deficiencies and lack of quality for a spell but it’s harder to sustain over an entire season, especially if you are reliant on one or two matchwinners (i.e. Redmond), are thin in key areas (i.e. midfield) and it only takes a bad result or two for confidence to unravel. Opposing teams also have more info on you. Needless to say some of RH’s decisions have also not helped matters.
This. We weren't great last season under Ralph, naturally we looked better than under Hughes, but even under Ralph last season we had some stinkers of games and at the end of the season we went the last five games without a win.

A few players raised their game, for a time last season, to try and impress the new manager but have now fallen back into their more usual levels of performance.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The manager is not the problem it is the players. Basically we have the same team as last year and look how that struggled. Is it any surprise we are where we are? Yes we have Djenepo but he is unproven and has been injured Danso is also an unknown quantity and has been played out of position. No point in sacking the manager we need a set team with a purpose maybe time to give youth a chance.

im just not buying this its the players argument, did he not have the summer after half a season in charge to recognise what is and isnt wrong and make some signings that could work out for us? if he wanted toi he could drilled the board for three centre backs or whatever he thought he needed, he has final say on the transfers.. we end up weith a young centre back that ralph now has no confidence in to start, adams who he doesnt now see as better then ings.. and djenepo who does look a good signing but even he hasnt been a lock for first team every game when fit and is sometimes used at left back.

do u think these are the type of signings that would have happened under koeman when he was in charge?

another couple of worrying things about ralphs aproach is that it was him that apperently wanted a tiny squad, im not really sure whats the logic in this wouldnt you rather have more options if things are not going right. but well done there, and also that he was only looking at young players that he could polish up and turn into potential diamonds, the big problem here is HELLO WE ARE POOR AND ACTUALLY NEED PLAYERS THAT CAN DO A JOB NOW. again he got what he wanted here but now we end up with 2 of his 3 summer signings that could have improved the team sat on the bench and people wonder why we are not improving, again do u think koeman would have done that ?

im just not buying this its the players argument, did he not have the summer after half a season in charge to recognise what is and isnt wrong and make some signings that could work out for us? if he wanted toi he could drilled the board for three centre backs or whatever he thought he needed, he has final say on the transfers.. we end up weith a young centre back that ralph now has no confidence in to start, adams who he doesnt now see as better then ings.. and djenepo who does look a good signing but even he hasnt been a lock for first team every game when fit and is sometimes used at left back.

do u think these are the type of signings that would have happened under koeman when he was in charge?

another couple of worrying things about ralphs aproach is that it was him that apperently wanted a tiny squad, im not really sure whats the logic in this wouldnt you rather have more options if things are not going right. but well done there, and also that he was only looking at young players that he could polish up and turn into potential diamonds, the big problem here is HELLO WE ARE POOR AND ACTUALLY NEED PLAYERS THAT CAN DO A JOB NOW. again he got what he wanted here but now we end up with 2 of his 3 summer signings that could have improved the team sat on the bench and people wonder why we are not improving, again do u think koeman would have done that ?

to follow up a bit more here, he has also . made decisions on who he does and doesnt want playing for him he froze out gabbi whilst giving him no chance even though he is certainly better then long and austin at the very least. he froze out cedric last season in favour of giving valery free reign at right back(questionable decision) only to uturn this season. he froze out lemina also who you could also argue is good enough to to be a option for us right now and also froze out austin. so the point is the players who he really saw as not fit for his team he froze out/got rid of.

the likes of ward prouse, hojbjerg redmond bednarek are his golden boys his first names on the sheet. even if he does make signings in next window if he lasts that long these players will be the ones he builds his team around. and tries to add to. so im not quite buying this its the players argument he is starting to shape the team in this direction if you agree with his views that these guys are the ones to build around and his weird random tactics then all good

I like that bit. Surely by now everyone must see there won't be any real improvement and it's time to cash in on him? Packet of Monster Munch, anyone?

Look at what Chris Wilder is doing at Sheff Utd with a bunch of players who journeymen and a large number of players who have played in League One/Division 3.

On reflection, Ralph has to go. He isn’t tactically astute, doesn’t seem to have good man-management skills, and is completely devoid of ideas.

He is still only a portion of the problem though.

He has a not a great squad ......But he really is everything that you posted ....Ive always felt a glimmer of hope of staying up in the last couple of seasons.......but i just cant see anything that Ralph will change to keep us up! He has been blown up to be a good manager but really is he utter garbage!! There are a few managers that would be better

Weren’t we told that they were all troublemakers and better off out of the squad? Are we now saying these players weren’t the problem and Ralph was?

Weren’t we told that they were all troublemakers and better off out of the squad? Are we now saying these players weren’t the problem and Ralph was?
Exactly.

The players have proven over a long tome that they are the issue.

Lets not make a big mistake. We must back Ralph.

There were a couple of players causing unrest ie lemina & Austin but now they are gone I don't think RH can use the excuse that we have a load of trouble makers at the club

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Probably it is not quite as simple as you make it sound. There may be a host of reasons explaining why we are where we are. Maybe clubs didn't want to sell the players we targeted, maybe they didn't want to come to England or Saints in particular, maybe they couldn't agree terms and so on. Don't just a assume the club didn't try to do what Hasenhuttl wanted. Maybe the same for targeted coaches after all Rohl soon badgered off once he had sniffed the foul smell emanating from the bottom of the premier league.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl