Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Tend to agree. RH is a really good fit for us.....it sort of feels right, more so than RK or MP....it was obvious that they would leave when the "Big Clubs" came knocking. Rightly or wrongly, it doesn`t feel like that with Ralph.

Would like to see RH given a contract extension 'now' rather than wait until the usual 'will he, won't he?' period kicks in from this summer onwards.

Yes, I know contract extensions are largely arbitrary and/or token efforts as managers can still be sacked and/or poached regardless, but it sends out the right symbolic signals.

Would like to see RH given a contract extension 'now' rather than wait until the usual 'will he, won't he?' period kicks in from this summer onwards.

Yes, I know contract extensions are largely arbitrary and/or token efforts as managers can still be sacked and/or poached regardless, but it sends out the right symbolic signals.

Agree with this and CB's statement. It would be ideal to tie RH down to a longer term contract - he has turned it completely around, seems committed and has got some very average players playing well above their level. Would be interesting to see what he can do with the right backing and a long term plan in place.

Agree with this and CB's statement. It would be ideal to tie RH down to a longer term contract - he has turned it completely around, seems committed and has got some very average players playing well above their level. Would be interesting to see what he can do with the right backing and a long term plan in place.

Who? Also how can you play 'above your level'?

Couldn't be happier to be wrong with our best performance of the season and probably Leicester's worst. Maybe we will have to start looking up the table after all.

Leicester worst performance was because we made them look bad. All credit to Ralph and the boys. Superb. Alot of folk will be eating humble pie right now

Props to Semmens et al for being patient with Ralph, unlike pretty much all the other clubs who have struggled this season.

Agree with the calls to give him a new contract. Brighton, Wolves and Sheff Utd have done with their Managers this season.

Are you insinuating that the reason that we won was down to Leicester playing badly rather than Saints being the better team?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Christ you sound like an old woman. I thought saints were superb, I thought it was their best performance of the season and I think they have to take a large amount of credit for making Leicester look bad. I do also think that Leicester had an off day as well abd their passing was very poor even when we weren't pressing. The two things aren't mutually exclusive you bunch of hysterical tarts.

He's turned it round and clearly the changes have been effective. Fantastic performance and result today and since December.

We were, however, utterly dreadful at the start of the season. Let's hope we can get through the season without that form and those behaviours returning.

Not only the start of the season. I espaired after the WHU match and thought 'That's it' since when we've won almost everything

Christ you sound like an old woman. I thought saints were superb, I thought it was their best performance of the season and I think they have to take a large amount of credit for making Leicester look bad. I do also think that Leicester had an off day as well abd their passing was very poor even when we weren't pressing. The two things aren't mutually exclusive you bunch of hysterical tarts.

Sexist and ageist :rolleyes:

I quite simply asked a question based on your post. I won't take offence at the insult, although being offended seems to be the way nowadays. A less aggressive answer would have sufficed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think he tried to overcompensate for our poor defence by flooding it at the start of the season and it just didn't work. They seemed to play with an attitude of, "there's five of us, that man/ball must be someone else's problem." Goals going in left, right and centre whilst the defenders throw their arms up and stare at each other.

Fair play for Ralph having the balls to go back to two CB and say, "Right, Jan, Jack - I'm choosing you, step forward and take responsibility." It has the added bonus of allowing us to play another forward.

Tactics aside, I’m so proud and pleased with Ralph. The mental strength & fortitude he has shown when we looked beyond salvation with clueless, potless & disinterested owners and a board with no knowledge or interest in the game seemed a scenario beyond remedy. Not many of the world’s top managers have the mental strength to recover from what Ralph went through. The hangover of changing ownership, a massive fall from grace & 2 successive relegation battles with a thin of quality, decimated squad and highly questionable defence.

Fortunately for us, we have a handful of people that have some expertise and at least a board whom didn’t panic or remove Ralph. I feel this was more to do with cost saving rather than moral support but we do not know the reasons so to speculate would be unfair to all parties. Whoever helped Ralph (credit to the players too as they have to want to learn) with the defending deserves massive credit, Ralph included. To recover from what seemed certain relegation (we are far from clear of trouble but in a much better position in the table and from a mental perspective) is astounding. It will also be easier to attract a defender or 2 which is paramount if we are seriously wanting to compete at this level. We have ridden our luck with injuries & perhaps credit to the physios also.

Hats off to Ralph. He was given an impossible scenario and I believe (but do not know) certain promises or platitudes were made prior to his appointment and it feels like not all have been honoured, namely around budgets and spending (in the back room staff and those of the playing squad). Irrespective, he has solid man management skills (despite some mistakes) and has mustered motivation when it seemed impossible and that deserves huge credit. Even the top level pundits acknowledge what he has pulled off is nothing short of remarkable. Especially today. Coming back from the greatest defeat in PL history to win away from home is almost a folklore story. Or just a good football tale which will be used in years to come to other clubs as to what can be done with determination, diligence and sheer hard work. Motivational speech workers, take note.

Well done Ralph. He looked a broken man in the autumn of last year. Shocked by the local derby and reception in Portsmouth. Demoralised post Leicester at St Mary’s. I heard they showed the 9 goals before the match today. They deserved to lose for that alone. Condescending ****s!!

Ralph has come so far and he has seen so much in a short time. Good and bad. What’s best is, he is so dedicated and a workaholic and, ultimately, he learns, he improves. When Ralph improves, so does our club. Massive credit to Ralph Hasenhüttl. He hit rock bottom. He battled back. Now support this manager both mentally and financially and don’t get complacent Southampton FC. It seems we have a rare breed in Ralph: a loyal manager. Ralph could perform minor miracles if you gave him the tools. I’m not saying he’s the best out there, tactically or otherwise, but he has heart. Wouldn’t it at least be exciting finding out how well he could do in easier, less stressful situations rather than just making do?

I think he tried to overcompensate for our poor defence by flooding it at the start of the season and it just didn't work. They seemed to play with an attitude of, "there's five of us, that man/ball must be someone else's problem." Goals going in left, right and centre whilst the defenders throw their arms up and stare at each other.

Fair play for Ralph having the balls to go back to two CB and say, "Right, Jan, Jack - I'm choosing you, step forward and take responsibility." It has the added bonus of allowing us to play another forward.

Good post. I hated that formation. The core of our team was defenders and poor ones at that. Ralph tinkered way too much but Ralph is not arrogant enough to admit when he’s wrong and that’s where he will succeed where others like Silva fail. The squad is much more balanced now and Armstrong and Stephens/Bednarek having regular games on consistent positions helps them understand their role and position and the results speak for themselves.

ok, ill admit i'm a bit of wind up merchant. But out of 15 saints fan i know at work, about 7 of them wanted Ralph to go. I know that about 90% of those people voted for brexit. Just proving that its better sometimes to keep the status quo. Hate to bring politics into football, but politics will effect football in the long wrong. The country will be worse off and less people will be able to attend the matches due to pay cuts/job losses. Boris might pull at rabbit out the hat and prove me wrong, but if he does, it will just be BINO. Brexit in name only. He just wants power, that's it. For someone that doesn't know all the names of children, we are asking a lot. Ralph on the hand, he had real passion, knowledge, the full package actually, real class shines through.

ok, ill admit i'm a bit of wind up merchant. But out of 15 saints fan i know at work, about 7 of them wanted Ralph to go. I know that about 90% of those people voted for brexit. Just proving that its better sometimes to keep the status quo. Hate to bring politics into football, but politics will effect football in the long wrong. The country will be worse off and less people will be able to attend the matches due to pay cuts/job losses. Boris might pull at rabbit out the hat and prove me wrong, but if he does, it will just be BINO. Brexit in name only. He just wants power, that's it. For someone that doesn't know all the names of children, we are asking a lot. Ralph on the hand, he had real passion, knowledge, the full package actually, real class shines through.

hey, good chat.

thanks

:thumbup:

anytime my friend, by the way, ill chat to any saints fan in the pub, I will always welcome back any Ralph doubter. Once a saints fan, always a saints fan.

That’s because, we don’t choose to be a Saints fan - the Saints choose us!

And given our ups and downs over the years and throughout a season - prophetic words from a father to son many years ago.

(no not mine).

I was calling for Ralph’s head....voted remain....but eventually wanted to leave

Almost the same. I didn’t want Ralph out per se but changes needed to be made and sacking the manager is the easiest way to make changes mid season. I’m glad we stood by him and he made his own changes. I also voted remain but now the vote is to leave, we should make the best of it.

The ones who called for Ralph to go are freaking short sighted and what you call fickle fans.

They judge players or managers over a very limited period of time and do not have a long term outlook.

Yes we will have more bumps along the way but that doesn t mean you have to call for the manager s head When each bump comes along

Likewise the last run of form is fantastic but you don’t judge him over this either.

You judge him over the period since he has arrived and he is has done a damn better job than his predecessors, with an attractive high pressing style of play and you can see how players have improved individually and as a team.

And it is not finished, we need to give him time to build his team With players adapted to his way of playing and get out those that don’t. It is not going to be a quick fix as those players who don’t fit won’t be in great demand but that s why it is going to take a few transfer windows.

Of course I wanted Ralph to be sacked as losing to City 9-0, losing at home to West Ham and Everton was very poor.

The football was bad and the players looked clueless.

If you asked Ralph himself at the time if he deserved to be sacked he probably would of said yes too.

Glad he’s turned it around as he knew he had too.

BTW I always said the players were good enough but were not being managed properly.

Its a tough one though, best to enjoy this while we have it. Many a good manager have used saints to move onto better prospects and I wouldn't blame Ralph if he did the same if our form carries on the way it has. I'm hoping the Tory party prove me wrong too, and ill be the first to admit that I was wrong should they unite the country and make us more prosperous, all the while making it sustainable for future generations. The hang over from last night has nearly gone, so a bit more compos mentis now :)

Of course I wanted Ralph to be sacked as losing to City 9-0, losing at home to West Ham and Everton was very poor.

If you asked Ralph himself at the time if he deserved to be sacked he probably would of said yes too.

BTW I always said the players were good enough but were not being managed properly.

This. There'll be plenty of people with masters degrees in hindsight coming out and saying they never wanted him home. In reality, no manager who loses 9 nil at home, and who's team is losing consistently and playing terribly, would be surprised to get the sack. He was lucky to keep his job and the turnaround in our play and results is remarkable.

On the question, I was sack and leave. Now I'm stay and remain.

My memory at the time was being fairly impressed how FEW fans were calling for Ralph’s head. We looked ****e BEFORE the 9-0..I think any of the other 92 clubs would have had 90% of the fans demanding the manager to be sacked after that fiasco....it didn’t feel like that to me with our fans. I think what probably helped Ralph was the supporters finally lost patience with the players after three years of ‘Ohh the players don’t like the manager, they want him out’ Then the board announced the next day ‘Ralph’s going nowhere’ I imagine the players thought ‘Oh ****’ But as I said I thought the reaction from most Saints fans was pretty decent at the time.

You don't judge a team over a limited run of games even if we lose 9-0.

Ralph would probably have told you that he could turn the form around and to judge the results over the course of the season.

--> Which is what any sensible fan or owner should do.

Have you ever heard of the expression "you can't see the forest for the trees".

It seems that most of you don't!

You don't judge a team over a limited run of games even if we lose 9-0.

Ralph would probably have told you that he could turn the form around and to judge the results over the course of the season.

--> Which is what any sensible fan or owner should do.

Have you ever heard of the expression "you can't see the forest for the trees".

It seems that most of you don't!

It's all about opinions mate, and mine is that if the majority of fans were being honest they would say that with the run we were on, and following a 9 nil loss, that sacking would have been justified. As it turns out, something has happened and we've been transformed so keeping him, with hindsight, was the correct decision.

It’s natural nowadays. Many here wanted Koenan sacked just before we went on a good run. The trick is for the board to make the right decision when things aren’t going well. They made the right decision to stick with both managers. I voted remain and wanted to keep Ralph.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl