Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

To break the cycle we need to keep Hasenhuttl and give him the tools to do his job.

Is he a good Manager? Yes.

If we get rid of him then we are just back in the firefighting cycle that in part has got us where we are.

All the whispers suggest the club agree, which is good.

If we go down this season, it won't be because Hasenhuttl is poor, it will be the result of a few years of poor recruitment that has left us with a defence of mostly players who are not PL standard - and the PL is ruthless at exposing players like that (see K. Davis, Hooiveld, Fox from the promotion team).

To break the cycle we need to keep Hasenhuttl and give him the tools to do his job.

If we get rid of him then we are just back in the firefighting cycle that in part has got us where we are.

If we go down this season, it won't be because Hasenhuttl is poor, it will be the result of a few years of poor recruitment that has left us with a defence of mostly players who are not PL standard - and the PL is ruthless at exposing players like that (see K. Davis, Hooiveld, Fox from the promotion team).

How would u feel if we lost or didn’t win next 3-5 games?

Jury’s out in my opinion, I’m leaning into camp out right now as I don’t see him rectifying any problems, don’t like the thought of team being built around jwp redmond hoj.and taking ages to realise players are not playing well like Gunn or recognising the ones that are like boufal.. next few games run of fixtures are a good chance to start turning it around but he needs to take this chance or maybe we should pull trigger and get someone to save us..life in the championship might not be much fun under gao

don't worry lads Tony Pulis rejected Cardiff because he is holding out for the Southampton (or West Ham) job.....:?

Tony Pulis 'Holding Out' for Southampton or West Ham Job After Rejecting Cardiff

https://www.90min.com/posts/6498948-tony-pulis-holding-out-for-southampton-or-west-ham-job-after-rejecting-cardiff

We could do worse. Pulis never gets relegated. He probably thinks the loser of our upcoming match against West Ham will be the one he can take over.

As many have noted, he is good with the right assistant. But without Rohl he appears to be Laurel without Hardy.

don't worry lads Tony Pulis rejected Cardiff because he is holding out for the Southampton (or West Ham) job.....:?

Tony Pulis 'Holding Out' for Southampton or West Ham Job After Rejecting Cardiff

https://www.90min.com/posts/6498948-tony-pulis-holding-out-for-southampton-or-west-ham-job-after-rejecting-cardiff

We could do worse.

How would u feel if we lost or didn’t win next 3-5 games?

Jury’s out in my opinion, I’m leaning into camp out right now as I don’t see him rectifying any problems, don’t like the thought of team being built around jwp redmond hoj.and taking ages to realise players are not playing well like Gunn or recognising the ones that are like boufal.. next few games run of fixtures are a good chance to start turning it around but he needs to take this chance or maybe we should pull trigger and get someone to save us..life in the championship might not be much fun under gao

Out of interest when you have bombed out Redmond (POTY), Hojbjerg (captain) and JWP (...) who would you be selecting instead?

Isn't the whole point that RH doesn't have many options in certain positions, rather than he isn't very good?

I mean...I wish he wouldn't built his decence around Yoshida, Vestergaard and Bednarek but I understand he needs to pick 11 players each week.

The first two statements are very bold and are at best debatable...

Out of interest when you have bombed out Redmond (POTY), Hojbjerg (captain) and JWP (...) who would you be selecting instead?

Isn't the whole point that RH doesn't have many options in certain positions, rather than he isn't very good?

I mean...I wish he wouldn't built his decence around Yoshida, Vestergaard and Bednarek but I understand he needs to pick 11 players each week.

Think most will agree our players are average (maybe very average - personally don't think so). The issue for me is a recent one - latter part of last season and this. Ralph was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived and employed his commitment and high press, and kept us up when I thought we would go down. But ever since we were safe last season he (and the bulk of the players) seem to have regressed. He seems to have completely abandoned his tactics (high energy press, quick turn overs, don't give the opposition a moment to settle etc. etc.). Why? Loss of his side kick - maybe? Other teams have figured out our tactics and he has no "famous" plan B?

We might want to knock them, but Ings, Redders, Bertie, McCarty, Ori, PEH, and even possibly Yossi and Bednarek have played so much better previously than they are doing so now. Add to that Ced, Jenny (Moussa) and Boufal who are playing well this season, and you have to wonder why the manager cannot get more out of them? One or two bad apples I can accept but that many starts making you thing it's the tradesman blames his tools (and yes most of them are tools!). Add that to why the likes of last seasons sensational discoveries - Valery, Obi, Slattery, etc. have been discretely put back on the long shelf, and you begin to wonder if this is not the messiah after all?

He had the same players last season - minus the ones he shifted out this, and the new additions and we are massively worse. Add to all this, the truly bizarre decisions of selecting players completely out of position - Moussa at RWB (not once but twice - complete disaster), Ced at RB/RWB, Danso at every position except the one we loaned him for. Players might be utter sh1te but is Ralph inspiring any confidence either?

My main issue is more with the way he seems to see jwp as undropable then the other two to be honest . But at the same time personally I think boufal and Djenepo are better attacking and creative options then redmond regardless of his player of the year season last year. Boufal has looked really good this season and with him Djenepo and redmond all offering pace tricks and some creativity we should have a decent attack and supply for Ings. Also think Ralph’s insistence to play Gunn over McCarthy was wrong , loaning out Cedric to give valery all the time in the world too maybe, the treatment of Danso and the out of position players all the time, it’s not like he’s blameless here .

Back to my question.. will you still be totally behind him if the results don’t pick up in the next 3-5 games ?

Think most will agree our players are average (maybe very average - personally don't think so). The issue for me is a recent one - latter part of last season and this. Ralph was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived and employed his commitment and high press, and kept us up when I thought we would go down. But ever since we were safe last season he (and the bulk of the players) seem to have regressed. He seems to have completely abandoned his tactics (high energy press, quick turn overs, don't give the opposition a moment to settle etc. etc.). Why? Loss of his side kick - maybe? Other teams have figured out our tactics and he has no "famous" plan B?

We might want to knock them, but Ings, Redders, Bertie, McCarty, Ori, PEH, and even possibly Yossi and Bednarek have played so much better previously than they are doing so now. Add to that Ced, Jenny (Moussa) and Boufal who are playing well this season, and you have to wonder why the manager cannot get more out of them? One or two bad apples I can accept but that many starts making you thing it's the tradesman blames his tools (and yes most of them are tools!). Add that to why the likes of last seasons sensational discoveries - Valery, Obi, Slattery, etc. have been discretely put back on the long shelf, and you begin to wonder if this is not the messiah after all?

He had the same players last season - minus the ones he shifted out this, and the new additions and we are massively worse. Add to all this, the truly bizarre decisions of selecting players completely out of position - Moussa at RWB (not once but twice - complete disaster), Ced at RB/RWB, Danso at every position except the one we loaned him for. Players might be utter sh1te but is Ralph inspiring any confidence either?

Good post and sums it up better then I could. Also when you look at the table and you see Sheffield united 5th makes this it’s all the players argument look a bit weak.. don’t think anyone would have been wanting to swap our squad for Sheffield uniteds in the summer (I know our defence is still weak) but there’s an example of a manager doing great with on a poor to limited squad

You say we are "massively worse". I'm not sure that's true.

Last season under Ralph we lost to Cardiff twice and failed to beat Huddersfield at home. We also failed to beat Bournemouth at home and went out of the cup to Derby.

We got a completely flukey three points against Spurs when we should have been buried by half time.

I can't really recall a match where we have played well for 90 minutes for about three seasons.

We were crap last year but Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield were crapper.

The reality is that we have keepers no other team would want, centre backs no other team would want, thread-bare options at full-back, zero depth in centre midfield.

I'm not sure if he's a good manager or just injected some energy and fight at the right time (like Hughes in the previous season). I am sure that our squad is a big problem though.

You say we are "massively worse". I'm not sure that's true.

Last season under Ralph we lost to Cardiff twice and failed to beat Huddersfield at home. We also failed to beat Bournemouth at home and went out of the cup to Derby.

We got a completely flukey three points against Spurs when we should have been buried by half time.

I can't really recall a match where we have played well for 90 minutes for about three seasons.

We were crap last year but Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield were crapper.

The reality is that we have keepers no other team would want, centre backs no other team would want, thread-bare options at full-back, zero depth in centre midfield.

I'm not sure if he's a good manager or just injected some energy and fight at the right time (like Hughes in the previous season). I am sure that our squad is a big problem though.

This.

When Ralph arrived we improved a bit but this easily explained because

A) we couldn't have looked worse than we did under Hughes any improvement in work rate seemed like a big step up

B) the players did what players do when a new manager arrives and upped their work rate and tried a bit harder to impress

But as last season came to an end we were already regressing back to our normal level we didn't win any of our last five games and failed to win some very winnable games on paper.

The squad is a massive problem. To many **** players, not enough depth in key areas and several years of being **** has erroded the mind set of the current squad so they are mentally weak.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The home games with Norwich and Watford are going to be pivotal. If he sticks with JWP and we win neither, or lose one, the fans will turn I believe. 4 points minimum - or at least go down having a go. If he chooses a more adventurous line up and we still lose I would be more inclined to blame the players rather than his tactics and selections.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

The home games with Norwich and Watford are going to be pivotal. If he sticks with JWP and we win neither, or lose one, the fans will turn I believe. 4 points minimum - or at least go down having a go. If he chooses a more adventurous line up and we still lose I would be more inclined to blame the players rather than his tactics and selections.
Granted he hasnt been great this season, but do people actually believe that picking JWP is one of the main reasons for our poor league position?

Madness if so. For a start there are the 5/6 behind him who are all more of a problem.

Ive been a big knocker of JWP at times in his Saints career but its obvious to me that we are massively hamstrung by our defence (both in terms of defending and on the ball in setting up our play). We nearly always concede the first goal, cannot keep most teams to less than 2 goals let alone a clean sheet. That makes it very hard for the rest of the team.

Thats far, far more of a problem than JWP. And that problem is almost entirely down to recruitment.

If you want one single on field factor that will be the biggest single factor in relegating us then its our defence, by an absolute country mile.

Granted he hasnt been great this season, but do people actually believe that picking JWP is one of the main reasons for our poor league position?

Madness if so. For a start there are the 5/6 behind him who are all more of a problem.

Ive been a big knocker of JWP at times in his Saints career but its obvious to me that we are massively hamstrung by our defence (both in terms of defending and on the ball in setting up our play). We nearly always concede the first goal, cannot keep most teams to less than 2 goals let alone a clean sheet. That makes it very hard for the rest of the team.

Thats far, far more of a problem than JWP. And that problem is almost entirely down to recruitment.

If you want one single on field factor that will be the biggest single factor in relegating us then its our defence, by an absolute country mile.

Of course JWP isn't solely responsible for our precarious situation - but his continued selection for every game and the limited performances he turns out leave the side deprived of creativity, attacking instinct or CM/DM depth, depending upon where Ralph has played him. No one is doubting that the defence has been largely woeful since the days of VVD, Fonte and Toby but JWP as an automatic selection this season has weakened the side further.

we could just do with slightly more settled approach - theres no confidence inspired to players if they simply dont know if they are going to be playing that week and if so what position. Pick a back 4/5 you like and stick with it- build together. People on the bench/out of the squad know whats required and should work hard. At the moment boufal has looked one of our better outlets and gets dropped - what does that tell everyone. Im worried that it is (as above) part **** squad but part incompetence of management. Need much of a siege mentality that a see what happens mentality.IM not one for knee jerk changes - but i do think a change in overall style is needed in terms of how the group is managed and hopefully the new DoF can stabilise that else we are likely to go down

This. Our defence will be our downfall. That's not a coaching issue, it's simple ability.

So playing full backs wrong side, midfielders at full back , central defenders at full back is not a coaching issue?

Did you miss the Bournemouth and Everton games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely - a stable back unit is a must really all the way up through the leagues - yes injuries happen but our back line is entirely unpredictable (in many ways)

ralph shouldn't/won't get the sack this season IMO, but one thing i would absolutely love is if we/the fans had an opportunity to ask ralph to explain 1. why he keeps picking jwp to start despite him contributing next to nothing while on the field actually even making mistakes that put us in difficult situations. 2. why he can't settle on one defence lineup and why he doesn't think danso is good enough to play in the centre despite sanctioning his arrival. 3. why he keeps benching boufal.

So playing full backs wrong side, midfielders at full back , central defenders at full back is not a coaching issue?

No it's not a coaching issue it's a lack of proper depth in the squad issue. Do you really think Ralph would be trying to shoehorn players into the LB/LWB/RB/RWB position if he had some decent fullback options?

We have one left back in the squad who has been injured/an arse wipe/ suspend for a big chunk of the season.

On the other side we have a mediocre RB who has been trying to leave for about three seasons and a young RB who isn't the finished article yet despite a few good performances.

It's not like Ralph is trying Ings at CB or Gunn as a striker.

we could just do with slightly more settled approach - theres no confidence inspired to players if they simply dont know if they are going to be playing that week and if so what position. Pick a back 4/5 you like and stick with it- build together. People on the bench/out of the squad know whats required and should work hard. At the moment boufal has looked one of our better outlets and gets dropped - what does that tell everyone. Im worried that it is (as above) part **** squad but part incompetence of management. Need much of a siege mentality that a see what happens mentality.IM not one for knee jerk changes - but i do think a change in overall style is needed in terms of how the group is managed and hopefully the new DoF can stabilise that else we are likely to go down

absolutely - a stable back unit is a must really all the way up through the leagues - yes injuries happen but our back line is entirely unpredictable (in many ways)

Yes - Nothing beats a settled side.

I saw both. He's trying to force round pegs into square holes because we have such poor defensive options. RH isn't blameless to any degree, but the mediocrity of our CBs is in turn loading pressure on to the rest of the team, and as per Dusic's post, I think this is a much more pressing issue than whether JWP plays or not.

No it's not a coaching issue it's a lack of proper depth in the squad issue. Do you really think Ralph would be trying to shoehorn players into the LB/LWB/RB/RWB position if he had some decent fullback options?

We have one left back in the squad who has been injured/an arse wipe/ suspend for a big chunk of the season.

On the other side we have a mediocre RB who has been trying to leave for about three seasons and a young RB who isn't the finished article yet despite a few good performances.

It's not like Ralph is trying Ings at CB or Gunn as a striker.

Which makes the selling of Targett mental if Vokins isn’t ready....who I would have at least tried so JWP to left back and sticking to 5 at back with 10 men wasn’t a coaching issue despite having 3 other options including Danso?

Cedric got injured in a warm up instead of playing Valery he put in Vestergard....Spurs down to 10 men we stick with 5 at back for 80 mins not a coaching issue?

Our squad is poor/rubbish agreed but there have been some right brain farts at full back and tactics

The jury has been out on Hasenhuttl for many of us ever since he arrived last season. He has been here a year, we are no better as a team and few if any of our players are any better than they were before or would have been through their own natural development. The new manager bounce helped us avoid relegation last time but we don't have that anymore while recent rumours of discontent in the camp comes as no surprise considering all the chopping and changing of players and often bizarre team selections.

So, the evidence is mounting that Hasenhuttl has brought very little to the team. That does not mean we will sack him 'though. Who could we get who is any better these days. We are now stamped as a second-tier Puel & Pellegrino type club and may have to face the fact that an indifferent manger like Hasenhuttl is about the best we can expect. What we must hope for is that we can find some coaches that know more about modern football than the clodhoppers masquerading as PL coaches that we have now and that these coaches can bale out Hasenhuttl.

Of course JWP isn't solely responsible for our precarious situation - but his continued selection for every game and the limited performances he turns out leave the side deprived of creativity, attacking instinct or CM/DM depth, depending upon where Ralph has played him. No one is doubting that the defence has been largely woeful since the days of VVD, Fonte and Toby but JWP as an automatic selection this season has weakened the side further.

Who would you replace Ward Prowse with given the limited amount of midfielders in the squad.

The weird fullback picks are clearly because RH's entire game plan relies on having wide defenders with enough of an engine to get up and down all game. Hence why Hoj/Armstrong/Danso get put there. Doesn't quite explain why Valery doesn't always play when fit and the only specialist RB, but I presume something about confidence/form/mentality that we're not privy to.

As for the reference to Sheff Utd above. Correct, on simple transfer market valuation, our individual players are worth more than theirs. However, their squad has been selected for a specific game plan, whereas ours seems to have developed over the past couple of seasons with no design other than to buy the weakest, slowest players we can find. That is where the problem lies. We don't have the technique to play a passing/pressing game, and we don't have the strength and resilience to be an archetypal limited-but-hard-to-beat Dyche/Pulis side.

Who would you replace Ward Prowse with given the limited amount of midfielders in the squad.

Armstrong- far more forward thinking than JWP. Boufal - far more attacking and mobile than JWP. Djenapo - quicker, more skilful, more attacking, far better option.

Assuming we keep 532.

Armstrong- far more forward thinking than JWP. Boufal - far more attacking and mobile than JWP. Djenapo - quicker, more skilful, more attacking, far better option.

Assuming we keep 532.

Not really like for likes those options.

Ultimately JWP doesn't really have any competition and I don't see that is RH's fault but more that the Academy lads like Slattery have regressed and the squad is weak in certain areas, like centre mid.

Hasenhuttl is hamstrung by a **** defence which means we cant be as expansive as he would like.

Assuming we keep 532.

Armstrong has not really been given a chance but when he’s played he’s always lost possession in dangerous areas or given away silly free kicks etc He also can’t get in the current Scotland team.

Not really like for likes those options.

Ultimately JWP doesn't really have any competition and I don't see that is RH's fault but more that the Academy lads like Slattery have regressed and the squad is weak in certain areas, like centre mid.

Hasenhuttl is hamstrung by a **** defence which means we cant be as expansive as he would like.

Trouble with the jwp selection.. if we are sticking with the 5 at back is that he’s probably to weak and not good enough defensively to play in a 2 man central midfield.. so then we end up in a 3 with romeau and hoj.. with say redmond and Ings up front so there’s basically no creativity for the forward line.. our best way of playing should be a way to fit at least two of Djenepo boufal and redmond all giving pace and creativity around Ings or maybe even a 4231 with boufal in the hole . Jwp playing backwards and sidewise passes is doing nothing for us creatively and stopping us getting our really attacking quality in support of Ings .

Which makes the selling of Targett mental if Vokins isn’t ready....who I would have at least tried so JWP to left back and sticking to 5 at back with 10 men wasn’t a coaching issue despite having 3 other options including Danso?

Cedric got injured in a warm up instead of playing Valery he put in Vestergard....Spurs down to 10 men we stick with 5 at back for 80 mins not a coaching issue?

Our squad is poor/rubbish agreed but there have been some right brain farts at full back and tactics

I wouldn't call any of them a coaching issue more a tactics issue... I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes but show me a manager that doesn't get it wrong at times. Ultimately we have had four managers in three and half season with little signs of improvement in the squad performances. My take on it is we can keep changing manager again and again but, in the end, until the dross in the squad is replaced and a better quality of player is brought in we are just going to see the last couple of seasons repeated over and over until we are relegated. This bunch of players are, bar one or two, in the main hopeless and a lost cause they are mentally weak, used to losing and lacking much in the way of talent.

Whilst Ralph isnt completely excused (training is boring and never really changes) it really is the players. Ralph should stay. We need to gut the team. The new DOF has his work cut out.

Either way...i think there has been a realisation (at board level) that we are no longer sustainable. This means either spending in Jan or selling up.

I wonder how training might improve with some fresh idea from some more experienced/progressive coaches supporting him?

Quite straightforward in my view. You play Romeu and Hoj in midfield - because JWP doesn't add any steel or holding quality in a three man midfield. Nor does he have the creative or box-to-box qualities to play the Lemina role. That frees up space to play four attack minded players - my preference would be Ings, Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal - I suppose there is a case for Armstrong too.

Quite straightforward in my view. You play Romeu and Hoj in midfield - because JWP doesn't add any steel or holding quality in a three man midfield. Nor does he have the creative or box-to-box qualities to play the Lemina role. That frees up space to play four attack minded players - my preference would be Ings, Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal - I suppose there is a case for Armstrong too.

You'd think that those four, properly drilled, would be a pretty good starting point for a front press.

Problem is Hoj is ****ing useless as well and Romeu works hard but his lack of mobility gets us in trouble. All three of them of them aren't very good at winning the ball in the middle of the park and moving it on to the forward players (so our attacking players end up dropping deep to try and get the ball) and none of them are great at protecting the defence either. Our CBs are pretty poor but their weaknesses are left exposed by our poor quality central midfield constantly giving the ball away and then lacking the mobility or engine to get back. We need some Midfielders who can win the ball from the press and then play a quick, incisive, forward pass to get a counter going and midfielders with pace and energy to get up and down the pitch at the moment we have a bunch of semi immobile ball recyclers.

Problem is Hoj is ****ing useless as well and Romeu works hard but his lack of mobility gets us in trouble. All three of them of them aren't very good at winning the ball in the middle of the park and moving it on to the forward players (so our attacking players end up dropping deep to try and get the ball) and none of them are great at protecting the defence either. Our CBs are pretty poor but their weaknesses are left exposed by our poor quality central midfield constantly giving the ball away and then lacking the mobility or engine to get back. We need some Midfielders who can win the ball from the press and then play a quick, incisive, forward pass to get a counter going and midfielders with pace and energy to get up and down the pitch at the moment we have a bunch of semi immobile ball recyclers.

Basically, letting Lemina leave without a replacement was criminal.

Basically, letting Lemina leave without a replacement was criminal.
Quite and Targett to. Our recruitment has been like that for a while though. We let players in a certain position go and then instead of replacing them with an equivalent type of player go and buy a player for a completely different position.

I can't help feeling the squad would be better if we replaced like for like (maybe not the same quaility becuase let's face players like VVD are hard to replace with a player of the same ability) but if we get rid of say a LB get another LB if we get rid of experienced CB, like Fonte, replace him with another experienced CB its not rocket science.

I think letting the relationship with Fonte sour and not replacing him adequately has been our biggest single mistake.

We will never pay enough to keep Van Dijks and Manes around long-term but Fonte was a leader, an experienced pro and had risen up through the divisions with us. He "got it".

We needed to abandon our model of resale-value obsession and bring in someone who could play the same role. Instead we have tried Gardos, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Stephens..... all young guys who we presumably hoped we could sell on.

There's nothing wrong with that model but it needs to be balanced. Our success to that point was built on mixing youth (Shaw, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork, Jay Rod) with experienced stalwarts (Fonte, Lambert, Jaidi, Hammond, Butterfield etc)

We got arrogant and extreme and it's ****ed us over.

Now, unfortunately, I don't think anyone at the club knows how to fix it.

I think letting the relationship with Fonte sour and not replacing him adequately has been our biggest single mistake.

We will never pay enough to keep Van Dijks and Manes around long-term but Fonte was a leader, an experienced pro and had risen up through the divisions with us. He "got it".

We needed to abandon our model of resale-value obsession and bring in someone who could play the same role. Instead we have tried Gardos, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Stephens..... all young guys who we presumably hoped we could sell on.

There's nothing wrong with that model but it needs to be balanced. Our success to that point was built on mixing youth (Shaw, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork, Jay Rod) with experienced stalwarts (Fonte, Lambert, Jaidi, Hammond, Butterfield etc)

We got arrogant and extreme and it's ****ed us over.

Now, unfortunately, I don't think anyone at the club knows how to fix it.

Totally agree.

Quite and Targett to. Our recruitment has been like that for a while though. We let players in a certain position go and then instead of replacing them with an equivalent type of player go and buy a player for a completely different position.

I can't help feeling the squad would be better if we replaced like for like (maybe not the same quaility becuase let's face players like VVD are hard to replace with a player of the same ability) but if we get rid of say a LB get another LB if we get rid of experienced CB, like Fonte, replace him with another experienced CB its not rocket science.

I would rather have a goal scorer than a reserve LB and if we genuinely are that tight I think selling Targett to buy Adams was a sensible choice. There are two obvious problems with that:

1) So far Adams hasn't been a goal scorer

2) Good grief, are we really that tight for cash.

I still think we made the right call on that and that Adams will come good eventually. Supposing Ings' injury problems continued, would you really want to go through most of a season with Long/Obafemi up front?

That is where the problem lies. We don't have the technique to play a passing/pressing game

False, even despite our struggles and the intensity dropping off as the season has gone on, we are still one of the most effective pressing teams in the league.

The problem lies in that we can't defend, we are struggling to create goals from other means and collectively the teams effort towards this system has dropped, be it from confidence, fatigue whatever.

Ralph's approach works and has been effective, and the team are capable of doing it and doing it well, the problem is for some reason some of them are not buying into (possibly because confidence is low and they are worried about conceding, so naturally start dropping off and pressing less) and when that happens the effectiveness of it diminishes.

First and foremost the team needs to defender better, make less mistakes, that allows the rest of them to go press and put teams under pressure, plus we need to be better at breaking down and creating more against low blocks.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl