Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

The only way out of this mess is by having two (or possibly three) amazing transfer windows in a row, in which perhaps two out of three signings in each window goes straight into the first 11 and shines straight away. At the moment we are lucky to see one out of three signings get into the first 11 and that guy doesn't really improve us. After too many below par windows, we need to excel in the next one - how we do that with no funds available is beyond me.

Which is unlikely to happen until after we’ve cleared the deadwood from our squad and freed up resources. So add on another few windows which only extends the time we need to keep our heads above water.

Edited by shurlock

Which is unlikely to happen until after we’ve cleared the deadwood from our squad and freed up resources. So add on another few windows which only extends the time we need to keep our heads above water.

...and no one will buy our deadwood in the summer. They will be here all summer long on full wages before going out on loan, again, once we have agreed to pay at least 50% of their wages, leaving our hands tied, again. Yoshida, Long and Cedric are the only ones out of contract and two out of three are in the first 11 right now. If they all leave, that means we need two out of three signings to go straight into the first team and hit the ground running, just to stand still. What a mess.

Each manager has been dealt a worse hand than the previous one. The sales of Mané, Wanyama, van Dijk and Fonte obviously hurt us badly but perhaps the sale of Tadic was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

It isn’t the sales that is the problem, it has been the replacements.

Only way I can see us getting out is to bring in a few experiences loans or perhaps look at clubs like Chelsea that have talent which isn't currently getting any game time. Need players who can slot in immediately and make a difference...

Also make Ings captain he is the only player I would keep at Saints with maybe boufal and Djenepo the rest are bang average and a bunch of wet towels when the going gets tough...

Sadly, I think the manager has to go.

He is only part of the problem, but the easiest one to change.

The team, albeit limited, are playing well below their capabilities. The manager, sadly, isn’t getting anywhere near the maximum from them.

Yesterday’s performance was like Groundhog Day.

Ralph, if he is staying has to start fresh, just like when he came here. Drop the 4222 and get the 433 system going. Players told they are playing for their place. Team picked due to attitude and application in training and then go from there. To pick up unchanged side after Newcastle was a mistake. Those in the team bar Ings are too comfortable and those coming on seem jaded. Players need to be out there with a point to prove, hungry for success. Our lot look like they’d rather be somewhere else.

Unfortunately the club are in the equivalent of a negative equity position with a house. We bought a load of players and their market value has shrunk but we are still making payments on the original purchase price. To get out of this you need to take a hit in the pocket or wait for the sale value to go back up, which in the case of most of our players (the ones we want to sell) is not going to happen anytime soon if ever.

The only way out is to sell at whatever price and start again. Gao has to accept this and provide a way of doing this quickly. Without a detailed look at it, the sooner he does it the less it will cost in the meantime in regard to the money you earn in the PL versus the Chanpionship.

It will take 2 or 3 windows minimum to get anywhere near where we were, and the other thing to consider is that in this timeframe, clubs already better than us will have their own opportunity to improve, albeit most likely a little slower, but who knows.

The reality is that we need to purchase (as is the market place now) 5 to 6 players in the 25 to 40m bracket to make a big impact in a short time. The other problem is that the wages for that bracket of player probably exceeds or at the very least is near the top of our structure. Amd that's before you even have the challenge of trying to attract those players to us rather than better clubs.

So all in all, either Gao stumps up big or we are f***** big time

Either way, I would stick with Ralph.

Ralph's tactics are the problem. Just watch the next game and look at how much space we are leaving in midfield. He's pushing them up too far to press too aggressively. It looks great when it pays off but when it doesn't, the opposition are one pass away from completely taking our midfield out of the equation and leaving our under par defence completely exposed.

Unless he changes something (which he's shown he can't do) then we will go down and there will be a couple more humiliating defeats in store as well.

Ralph's tactics are the problem. Just watch the next game and look at how much space we are leaving in midfield. He's pushing them up too far to press too aggressively. It looks great when it pays off but when it doesn't, the opposition are one pass away from completely taking our midfield out of the equation and leaving our under par defence completely exposed.

Unless he changes something (which he's shown he can't do) then we will go down and there will be a couple more humiliating defeats in store as well.

If we had quick central midfielders, it wouldn t be such of an issue. The problem is we don't.

You are correct. There is no one to pass to because most of the team are too far advanced. We do not control the midfield and get bossed.

Ralph is just not seeing the picture at all.

Agree also that his comments after the game point to his alarming lack of knowledge regarding our opponent, this shows in games but now he has confirmed his nativity which everyone can see with their own eyes.

Ralph is out of his depth.

Probably our biggest mistake was deciding puel wasn't exciting enough, I would take a defensively ground out one nil win any day over the **** we are served up now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

oh please, not all this again. Puel was utter dog turd. Even Paul Sturrock had a better win ratio than Puel. Funny how Leicester couldn't wait to see the back of Puel as well.

How many different people have to try to polish a turd before you accept the turd can’t be polished??

I'd say about 4 before the question becomes irrelevant and the turd is flushed before anyone bothers retrieving it from the bog to try and polish it again.

Truth is somebody has to do something with this bunch of players 'cos they are the best we've got this year and probably next. If we go down we will be in even deeper doggie do as we will get stuck with people like Stephens forever and lose the wiser old heads who will quit for pastures new. "He's one of our own" won't be around bet your bottom dollar

Don't know if you chaps watch Quest highlights but the average ability and intelligence of a Championship player is there for all to see, most are well past their best, lots of 'em are over-weight and balding and most can't pass the ball five yards without giving it away. Imagine Stephens as a stalwart for the next 8 years....

You are correct. There is no one to pass to because most of the team are too far advanced. We do not control the midfield and get bossed.

Ralph is just not seeing the picture at all.

Agree also that his comments after the game point to his alarming lack of knowledge regarding our opponent, this shows in games but now he has confirmed his nativity which everyone can see with their own eyes.

Ralph is out of his depth.

He doesn’t need to prove his nativity I’m afraid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't losing Puel it was compounded by the useless Pellegrino that made things worse then luckily dug out by Hughes. the real problem was the buying of poor players for a lot of money. For God's sake who in their right mind would buy the likes of Vestergaard having seen them play. I wouldn't have gone near him with a barge pole. For a start every player should have pace, if they haven't we shouldn't sign them.

It wasn't losing Puel it was compounded by the useless Pellegrino that made things worse then luckily dug out by Hughes. the real problem was the buying of poor players for a lot of money. For God's sake who in their right mind would buy the likes of Vestergaard having seen them play. I wouldn't have gone near him with a barge pole. For a start every player should have pace, if they haven't we shouldn't sign them.

There are plenty of clubs who will want to sign him.

For instance clubs who don’t play a high line and want tall defenders to clear balls out.

We play a high line hence need pacy players throughout the team who can track back if we are press is beaten.

100%.

What is really gutting is that Reed and Ralph K are in their cosy new positions probably thinking "Omg, what has happened to SFC?, I’m glad I got out of that mess", and yet those two are the main culprits who have got us into this god forsaken situation in the first place.

The amount of dosh that those two spunked on utter trash is almost criminal along with the inability to replace sold players with decent replacements, it is so feckin frustrating that they have not been held to account for assisting in bringing this club to its knees.

100%.

What is really gutting is that Reed and Ralph K are in their cosy new positions probably thinking "Omg, what has happened to SFC?, I’m glad I got out of that mess", and yet those two are the main culprits who have got us into this god forsaken situation in the first place.

The amount of dosh that those two spunked on utter trash is almost criminal along with the inability to replace sold players with decent replacements, it is so feckin frustrating that they have not been held to account for assisting in bringing this club to its knees.

I often wonder with the money slushing around with agents etc was there an opportunity to get rich. I just can't see how we could rate and buy some of the players we did for the reported prices we paid and the attendant wages. Carillo FFS, how long did he last. Lamina's work rate and character etc etc.

100%.

Ross Wilson is as cuplable.

Ross Wilson is as cuplable.

It was hilarious they Ross Wilson was touted as some sort of transfer mastermind when he left for rangers, the tiny little tosspot along with reed presided over some of the worst signings in European football over the past couple of years.

It was hilarious they Ross Wilson was touted as some sort of transfer mastermind when he left for rangers, the tiny little tosspot along with reed presided over some of the worst signings in European football over the past couple of years.

Yep absolutely. He should have been sacked for Carillo alone - gross incompetence.

Not forgetting a 5 year 70k per week contract for Forster and then spending £12m on a goalkeeper who is on the bench.

And our other £15m centre back out on loan no one will buy. Over £100m of “talent” either on loan or can’t get a game signed under the transfer gurus watch.

The lack of accountability Reed and Wilson were subjected to was a breathtaking failure which the Club seems destined to pay for.

The lack of accountability Reed and Wilson were subjected to was a breathtaking failure which the Club seems destined to pay for.

What did you think would happen? You can’t put them on trial. Reed got sacked, arguably too late and Wilson has left somehow with a great reputation. The real crime is how Reed was able to have so much power and how we’ve allowed a football club to be run by people who know nothing about football. When reed was here he got promoted so many times he was the most senior employee with any clue about football, when he went Wilson called the shots, a man who used to write reports for Falkirk u18S and whose greatest achievement before joining us was selling Scott Arnfield to Huddersfield for £500k. Now we’re left with a marketing bloke, a bloke from Toyota, a bloke from an aviation company and goas daughter running a premier league football club,it’s insanit but not hard to work out why we are such a shambles.

Let’s be honest, Ralph isnt a particularly good manager for us.

We will probably go in against villa with the same line up/setup as we have been recently.

Obvious that as against West Ham, villa will swarm the midfielders and the game will be over by HT.

Let’s be honest, Ralph isnt a particularly good manager for us.

Maybe this is the unfortunate truth. If he had the right personnel I believe we'd now be watching some of the most enjoyable football we'd have seen for years. His limitations may have been laid bare with some of the dross currently ensconced in this football club that don't have the ability to adapt.

I think a poor Christmas could see the end of Ralph and he will then probably choose his next post very carefully knowing he'd have the basis to implement his ideas, and I'll stick a tenner on him being a success with his next club.

You can only f*ck with the d*ck you've got, and Ralph hasn't got much to play with. He's got his limitations but I highly doubt we could attract anyone better, or even afford to. He's stuck with an incompetent owner and limited squad, I don't think anyone could get the best out of them.

I reckon we'd just need a decent leader who can pass a bit at CB, a mobile central midfielder who can pass a bit, and a replacement for that c*nt Cedric and we'd probably start climbing the table. Unfortunately we won't get them.

What did you think would happen? You can’t put them on trial. Reed got sacked, arguably too late and Wilson has left somehow with a great reputation. The real crime is how Reed was able to have so much power and how we’ve allowed a football club to be run by people who know nothing about football. When reed was here he got promoted so many times he was the most senior employee with any clue about football, when he went Wilson called the shots, a man who used to write reports for Falkirk u18S and whose greatest achievement before joining us was selling Scott Arnfield to Huddersfield for £500k. Now we’re left with a marketing bloke, a bloke from Toyota, a bloke from an aviation company and goas daughter running a premier league football club,it’s insanit but not hard to work out why we are such a shambles.

Indeed.

Terrible management since Cortese left, papered over by Koeman picking some great signings and doing a top job *****il Reed forced him out).

Indeed.

Terrible management since Cortese left, papered over by Koeman picking some great signings and doing a top job *****il Reed forced him out).

Wouldn't say he was forced out, he had the option of a renewed contract that he did not want to sign. he wanted to see out the final year before he did anything and Reed was not prepared to accept another manager upping sticks and going at no notice. Spo what happens? RK ups stick and goes! Great from Mr Reed.

Listen, RK would have been found out eventually anyway, when he could not get the players he really wanted.

This demise has not really been about the managers, it has been about the incompetents that have run the club in the last three years. A lady who never really wanted it, a hockey coach that no one understood what he was talking about, Les Reed, happy to talk about how great he was but not happy to talk about how **** he was.... and now we have Goa, barely said a word.

The best thing we can do, as fans, if we want to show our displeasure is attack China (not literally of course, would be cool though, the Itchen North steaming in first). We have seen the effect of Ozil's tweet, they changed the game on state tv to spurs! They cannot take any criticism and as Goa seems to be part of the state, how effective it would be if we all started bringing in HK and Tibetan flags, posters protesting about China's treatment of Uighur muslims (disgraceful), their leader as Pooh. Anything to embarrass the state, that is the only way Goa will go, if that is what we want?

Wouldn't say he was forced out, he had the option of a renewed contract that he did not want to sign. he wanted to see out the final year before he did anything and Reed was not prepared to accept another manager upping sticks and going at no notice. Spo what happens? RK ups stick and goes! Great from Mr Reed.

Listen, RK would have been found out eventually anyway, when he could not get the players he really wanted.

This demise has not really been about the managers, it has been about the incompetents that have run the club in the last three years. A lady who never really wanted it, a hockey coach that no one understood what he was talking about, Les Reed, happy to talk about how great he was but not happy to talk about how **** he was.... and now we have Goa, barely said a word.

The best thing we can do, as fans, if we want to show our displeasure is attack China (not literally of course, would be cool though, the Itchen North steaming in first). We have seen the effect of Ozil's tweet, they changed the game on state tv to spurs! They cannot take any criticism and as Goa seems to be part of the state, how effective it would be if we all started bringing in HK and Tibetan flags, posters protesting about China's treatment of Uighur muslims (disgraceful), their leader as Pooh. Anything to embarrass the state, that is the only way Goa will go, if that is what we want?

Just one big HK flag unfurled at a match televised in China and Gao would be ordered to sell the club. But, we could still be stuck with the real problem: Kat. I could be wrong but I think she is going to be a real stumbling block in any negotiations to sell the club as she is going to demand an unrealistically high amount for her 20%.

Ralph hasn't got the best out of them. Too many off form, some strange selections, messing around with the defence when it was rubbish anyway. It's weird he ignored Boufal, annoying he sticks with Redmond, bewildering he plays Hojbjerg.

But I still don't think he's a bad manager. Even correcting all those things I think we'd be maybe 6 or 7 points better off. It's just not a very good squad at all. I'd keep him if he agreed to stay in the Championship. If we go down, he learns from it and helps rebuild in the summer, fine. If he'd go, then he might as well go sooner.

Agreed its not a good squad, but you are effectively acknowledging Ralph has cost us 6 or 7 points, which is massive for us. At best he is hopelessly out of his depth. I thought he was learning from his mistakes, but now I'm not sure. I'm sitting on the fence as to whether he should stay or go, partly as I have become apathetic, and in part because i don't expect anything much to change after the dead cat bounce of changing manager.

It's weird he ignored Boufal
1. Boufal has an infected toe ,therefore is not able to play.

Secondly whilst I agree its good to have that option he may look good in bursts Im not sure he is a 90 minute player. Although to be fair I think he has improved his tracking back and defending part of his game

I don't just mean since he's had knocks. It was happening before that too. All arguments against Boufal become limited when it's Redmond he'd be replacing, who has been terrible.

Agree it’s worrying Ralph doesn’t see it, Ings and boufal should be the two we build our team around imo.

I’m getting pretty close to thinking we should pull the plug on Ralph we are not improving, look as bad in defense as we ever have since returning to the prem, team selections and tactics still weird and I don’t think his cast iron favourites like redmond jwp Bednarek Hojbjerg being unstoppable and always getting in somewhere really helps either.. for example if he were gonna play Hojbjerg and romeau in cm prouse would be converted into a winger in the 442 rather then drop him, so someone like djenepo or boufal would make way. .

Its just looking like we are nailed on for struggling to survive this season under Ralph so might be worth trying to change this and get someone that can organise us better and improve us rather then sitting back and seeing the same every week

There are plenty of clubs who will want to sign him.

For instance clubs who don’t play a high line and want tall defenders to clear balls out.

We play a high line hence need pacy players throughout the team who can track back if we are press is beaten.

Except he's a lightweight beanpole and is **** in the air. Vest rarely does more than loop the ball up in the air when he does succeed in getting his head on it.

Being a cynical old Hector - Where we have been disappointed with in bound Saints players more than likely planning to use us as a stepping stone to a bigger club, given the Mickey Mouse way professional football is run where no one actually gets proper sacked unless they really do something seriously wrong. Whats to say that we haven't become a means to finance a few months off for a manager its not as if they become unemployable for years into the future - I think I am correct in saying that Puel, MoPe, and Hughes are still on the wage bill at Saints as we pay down the remains of their contract (Puel might be off it now). Andre Villas-Boas was binned off by Chelsea with £16m of his remaining contract paid off, he got the job at Spurs not long after and got binned off by them and had a reported £16m of his remaining contract with them paid off too.

Whats to say that Ralph has just squeezed as much as he can out of what he has to work with shrugged his shoulders and gone "hey!- whats the worse that can happen?", being battered 9 zip at home is normally enough to see the trigger pulled - that didn't work, then to say post match that the style of play West Ham turned up at SMS with on Saturday evening surprised us does make cynical me go Hmmmm?

Erwin Koeman has just been realised from the Oman national team after not winning the Gold Cup as defending champions.

Probably going to the dutch team I would of thought now but you never know.

Quite a few Dutch friends said when he was with us that Erwin is without doubt the tactical brains in the partnership, but doesn't have the gravitas as a manager to get the message across and that's where Ronald steps in.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl