Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

We are looking superb in the last five games so full credit for Ralph for turning it around,. Actually feeling confident we can achieve top 10 finish now.

Although just to play devils advocate if you credit the good results of late fully to Ralph he also has to take the bad for the poor results and form we were in earlier in the season. This is a bunch of players people were saying are terrible and no manager could change that.. This is proving wrong now it just took a long time finding the right tactics and game plan

So what you're all saying is we were wrong to sack Pellegrino?

No, MP in his time here never managed to string together set of results like Ralph had prior to the Leicester thrashing, MPs best run was three draws and a win and prior to his sacking he had won 1 in 17. MP was a lone isolated figure at the end that had little chance of getting the boys back on side.

Ralph was never that bad, he tailed off last season as many 'safe' clubs do, he started this season with two losses, similar to hundreds of starts to Saints seasons. We then shown promise against Man U and Liverpool, eeked out a couple of wins against teams on our level, so there was promise. Ralphs style of football was much better than MPs.and with out sitting down with a spreadsheet I reckon Ralphs win percentage never really dipped below that of MPs.

So no, no one is saying that. There is an argument that we could have kept with MP until the end of that season so we didnt get lumbered with Hughes going forward. Hughes points haul wasn't much better than MPs and arguably it all came down to that game against Swansea.

But by so e degree of calculation and some good fortune the decisions Saints have made have come off.

I don't care how we did it. We won and I have begun gazing at a few clubs just above us wondering if we might just be able to compete with them.

It won't be too easy with the other clubs just above us. The more clever ones will study us and try to overcome this pressing on the front. One possible solution of them will be long passes to their forwards, like Burnley did against us at season start. But I am confident that Hasenhüttl will take this into account and train and drill to handle that. Meanwhile our defense is much better and more solid, also in the air, therefore I am sure we will have the right answers. The clubs underestimated us up till now due to the 0-9, now they will start to take us seriously.

Hasenhüttl stated in one interview yesterday or so that the team gets better each week, so lets look forward ... :)

I think the Arsenal and Villa games were the catalyst for the recent revival`, the confidence the team has is not something we've seem since the Koeman days. We've deserved every point we've won, the team are working exceptionally hard and playing good football in possesion. Ralphs tactics have improved, and we look like scoring a few goals in every game recently.. We will suffer defeats , but the team now knows they have the tools to bounce back.

My only concern is Ings, should he get injured we are sorely lacking an alternative up front. Long works his socks off but lacks the finishing ability, Obi seems to be a better finisher but lacks the work rate of Ings or Long. The jury is still out on Adams.

Still, while Ings is fit we will continue to pick up points.

Backed Ralph since day 1, have always thought he was a good manager who we punched above our weight to get and would have backed him even if we dropped.

He had a sticky patch but like all good managers he's found his way back and the team are now playing some of the best stuff they have done for several years.

Fingers crossed he's here next season.

I think the Arsenal and Villa games were the catalyst for the recent revival`, the confidence the team has is not something we've seem since the Koeman days. We've deserved every point we've won, the team are working exceptionally hard and playing good football in possesion. Ralphs tactics have improved, and we look like scoring a few goals in every game recently.. We will suffer defeats , but the team now knows they have the tools to bounce back.

My only concern is Ings, should he get injured we are sorely lacking an alternative up front. Long works his socks off but lacks the finishing ability, Obi seems to be a better finisher but lacks the work rate of Ings or Long. The jury is still out on Adams.

Still, while Ings is fit we will continue to pick up points.

The Arsenal and Villa games weren't the catalyst, they were the result of whatever was the catalyst. What changed around and after the run culminating in the 9-0? We were bad before the drubbing, the most obvious issue being the lack of defensive organisation. The only conclusion anyone can really come to is that Ralph's management changed, and the clearest outward sign of this is that Kitzbichler who had joined a little before began to have an impact. That doesn't necessarily mean he was directly responsible, but more that Ralph once again had a trusted assistant, a sounding board, able to bounce ideas off, someone to give him more information. Even the fact that he had someone alongside who he could dis uss in his native tongue might have made some difference. Its not rocket science, very few managers are capable of going it alone.

By the way Happy Birthday Richard K.

it an opinion based forum, in which we can voice our opinions, right or wrong! I am going to give my opinion, you Ralf haters are a joke!! you player haters are a joke, you pontificate daily on here like you are footballing gurus! you voice your opinions and are constantly wrong because you know better than the manager and players, and are constantly proved wrong! We have a tough spell and everyone and everything at saints is crap! you spew crap (my opinion). Why this piece, because when the chips are down you plastics call for blood in the street, you are over reactional and dangerous to our club!! you can post all the negative drivel you like, just reread what you write and try to learn from your mistakes, try to learn form your wrong opinions, don't throw out negatives to your own team when you constantly get it wrong! it will hopefully cause you to paused and rethink before you throw a tantrum!. Will we continue to learn how to be a better supporters of Saints? Not writing off RH, JWP, Redmond, our back 4, etc..... every player is looking now saintly!! may it LONG continue! March on Saints!

The Arsenal and Villa games weren't the catalyst, they were the result of whatever was the catalyst. What changed around and after the run culminating in the 9-0? We were bad before the drubbing, the most obvious issue being the lack of defensive organisation. The only conclusion anyone can really come to is that Ralph's management changed, and the clearest outward sign of this is that Kitzbichler who had joined a little before began to have an impact. That doesn't necessarily mean he was directly responsible, but more that Ralph once again had a trusted assistant, a sounding board, able to bounce ideas off, someone to give him more information. Even the fact that he had someone alongside who he could dis uss in his native tongue might have made some difference. Its not rocket science, very few managers are capable of going it alone.

Good comment IMHO.. i am Austrian as well and what impressed me most about Ralph so far was his reflection capability .. he has no problems to acknowledge that he has done things wrong/changed his opinion in some cases...

And yes, i do believe that the combo Richie Kitzbichler & Hasiii works pretty well.

I need to add something here...

Generally i think, believe that criticism is never something we should be ashamed off as long as there is a inherent, constructive element. For example, when someone just blames a trainer for doing a "wrong decision" because he changed the wrong players... that's always something which is not really obvious right or wrong since there can be so many reasons for changing a player (injury risk/tiredness/performance overall/motivation...)... and that's IMHO kinda speculative.. (and yes, of course you are allowed to criticise a trainer for changing in a matter you do not understand, but then you still should be aware of that there can be many reasons for a trainer to act in a way he actually does)

If on the other hand a trainer gets criticised for bad body language/poor communication (f.e. interview quality)/consistently emphasizing the same things, the same problems, than critisizm is kinda understandable for me..

Surely the 0-9 WAS the catalyst. If we'd been beaten by one or two goals, then the next winnable games would probably have come and gone in the same lackadaisical fashion, and THEN we might have sacked Ralph.

Losing by 9 goals was probably the big bucket of cold water the players and manager needed. We should be THANKING Leicester.

Surely the 0-9 WAS the catalyst. If we'd been beaten by one or two goals, then the next winnable games would probably have come and gone in the same lackadaisical fashion, and THEN we might have sacked Ralph.

Losing by 9 goals was probably the big bucket of cold water the players and manager needed. We should be THANKING Leicester.

A result can't really be a catalyst. Beats me why people are so loathe to accept the blindingly obvious? If you think that a result is the catalyst for a change then that doesn't say much for the idea of having a manager or management team? Wait for something really bad to happen and then everything will be OK (and anyway the 0-9 wasn't the start of the problem, we had been **** for several weeks before the Leicester trousers job (sorry Trousers).

A result can't really be a catalyst. Beats me why people are so loathe to accept the blindingly obvious? If you think that a result is the catalyst for a change then that doesn't say much for the idea of having a manager or management team? Wait for something really bad to happen and then everything will be OK (and anyway the 0-9 wasn't the start of the problem, we had been **** for several weeks before the Leicester trousers job (sorry Trousers).

Eh, I don't know what's so difficult to understand. In a game of (generally) fine margins, there is a bias towards towards continuity/inaction as significant change is as likely to yield outsized negative results as an outsized positive ones. However, in the case of the 0-9 the margin wasn't fine at all, so continuity was categorically proven to be the imprudent course of action.

Eh, I don't know what's so difficult to understand. In a game of (generally) fine margins, there is a bias towards towards continuity/inaction as significant change is as likely to yield outsized negative results as an outsized positive ones. However, in the case of the 0-9 the margin wasn't fine at all, so continuity was categorically proven to be the imprudent course of action.

agree with that. The 0-9 was so bad the manager's hand was forced (and freed) to make drastic changes rather than simply tinker. Previous tinkering created little positive results, whilst those major wholesale changes contributed to our upturn. So yes the 0-9 might be seen as a blessing.

agree with that. The 0-9 was so bad the manager's hand was forced (and freed) to make drastic changes rather than simply tinker. Previous tinkering created little positive results, whilst those major wholesale changes contributed to our upturn. So yes the 0-9 might be seen as a blessing.

Yes agree, he was in a fight to maintain his reputation and he no choice but to go back to what had worked for him in the past. Had we of lost say 2 - 0 , i suspect he wouldn't have made so many changes. Hopefully he sticks to the blueprint from now on !

So what were these drastic changes that were made between the Leicester and Man City league games? Changing Gunn for McCarthy and dropping Yoshida, would that really be termed drastic? I suppose playing with 11 men instead of 10 could be termed drastic but that was forced on RH not a result of some change of direction.

So what were these drastic changes that were made between the Leicester and Man City league games? Changing Gunn for McCarthy and dropping Yoshida, would that really be termed drastic? I suppose playing with 11 men instead of 10 could be termed drastic but that was forced on RH not a result of some change of direction.

Who said the changes were immediate and total? All I'm saying is that the 0-9 was liberating. He obviously didn't feel quite liberated enough to try out a new approach against City in the next game (who would be quite likely to d**k us however we lined up, thus undermining any attempted change), but the changes began in the next game against Everton and by the Arsenal match we were starting with a back four and pressing much more aggressively through the attack and midfield.

• 4 weeks later...
@TomBarclay: As for Hasenhuttl's contract himself, no talks as yet (deal up end of next season). But club are relaxed about it and are confident when Ralph feels the club are safe he will discuss fresh terms

I hate the relaxed term. Reminds me of Sir Les.

I remember when the club was relaxed about the pochettino and then the Koeman situations.

We just need to accept that as things stand, Ralph is far to good for us and unless something changes (I.e ownership), we’ll get one more year out of him if we’re lucky.

There are probably 18 premier league clubs who would be more attractive than us and that’s not taking into account clubs in Europe.

The club may be ‘relaxed’ but this is Southampton football club. It’s what we do.

• 2 weeks later...
We just need to accept that as things stand, Ralph is far to good for us and unless something changes (I.e ownership), we’ll get one more year out of him if we’re lucky.

There are probably 18 premier league clubs who would be more attractive than us and that’s not taking into account clubs in Europe.

The club may be ‘relaxed’ but this is Southampton football club. It’s what we do.

'far to(o) good for us...' Really?

Great guy, good football coach but he is hardly Poch or RK (with us).

He is doing a very good job with, lets face it, a pretty average bunch.

Time will tell on how good he is, like it was supposed to do this season after his first pre-season.

'far to(o) good for us...' Really?

Great guy, good football coach but he is hardly Poch or RK (with us).

He is doing a very good job with, lets face it, a pretty average bunch.

Time will tell on how good he is, like it was supposed to do this season after his first pre-season.

If he was given the tools RK or Poch had, he’d replicate their results. With ease.

Tom Barclay

@TomBarclay_

·

3m

Understand Southampton have begun to chat to Ralph Hasenhuttl about a new 3-yr deal. Formal talks won't begin til survival is ensured - but I'm led to believe RH is keen to commit as he's bought in massively to the project at #saintsfc

Lying scumbag journalists making it all up etc etc etc etc etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t rush to renew his contract.

I wouldn’t trust him in the transfer market for starters.

He isn’t all that.

Barring the small and brief upturn in form at the beginning of the year,which was down to Ings primarily, majority of our displays have been abysmal.

The manager and coaching staff are on par with the lacklustre players we have at our disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He isn’t all that.

Barring the small and brief upturn in form at the beginning of the year,which was down to Ings primarily, majority of our displays have been abysmal.

The manager and coaching staff are on par with the lacklustre players we have at our disposal.

Do you really think we can do better than Ralph right now?

He isn’t all that.

Yes agree the love in for Ralph is baffling. The last half dozen games we have been poorly organised and not made any attempt to mitigate the opposition strengths.

Ralph is woeful at tactical recognition and should be called out for it...

Yet again today even with 11 v 11 we were totally out thought by opposition manager with no reaction from Ralph even.

Ralph is too often oblivious and ill prepared.

Do you really think we can do better than Ralph right now?

Is he really much better than Puel,Hughes and even Pellegrino.

They were lambasted for being poor.

How does his stats stand against theirs?

Is it a much better win/ loss % ?

He isn’t all that.

How do you know what he could do in the transfer market? He’s only been allowed to bring in two perm players in 3 windows both funded by sales

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl