Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

I would rather have a goal scorer than a reserve LB and if we genuinely are that tight I think selling Targett to buy Adams was a sensible choice. There are two obvious problems with that:

1) So far Adams hasn't been a goal scorer

2) Good grief, are we really that tight for cash.

I still think we made the right call on that and that Adams will come good eventually. Supposing Ings' injury problems continued, would you really want to go through most of a season with Long/Obafemi up front?

I think the issue has been on going since Koeman left to the point that we are having to make choices between reserve LB and a striker becuase we haven't recruited strikers properly since Pelle left. Personally I'd have liked to have got a good LB and dropped Bertrand to back up.

But actually a lot of problems this season are steming from our need to shoehorn in a LB/LWB from other positions becuase of no cover. I think you could argue that we'd be doing a lot better with a proper LB option and no Adams in the squad right now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

False, even despite our struggles and the intensity dropping off as the season has gone on, we are still one of the most effective pressing teams in the league.

The problem lies in that we can't defend, we are struggling to create goals from other means and collectively the teams effort towards this system has dropped, be it from confidence, fatigue whatever.

Ralph's approach works and has been effective, and the team are capable of doing it and doing it well, the problem is for some reason some of them are not buying into (possibly because confidence is low and they are worried about conceding, so naturally start dropping off and pressing less) and when that happens the effectiveness of it diminishes.

First and foremost the team needs to defender better, make less mistakes, that allows the rest of them to go press and put teams under pressure, plus we need to be better at breaking down and creating more against low blocks.

I am struggling with the first paragraph tbh.

I think the issue has been on going since Koeman left to the point that we are having to make choices between reserve LB and a striker becuase we haven't recruited strikers properly since Pelle left. Personally I'd have liked to have got a good LB and dropped Bertrand to back up.

But actually a lot of problems this season are steming from our need to shoehorn in a LB/LWB from other positions becuase of no cover. I think you could argue that we'd be doing a lot better with a proper LB option and no Adams in the squad right now.

I think our problems run deeper than that and TBH Targett never really looked good enough. He'd be a bit better than Danso or Hoj but still a very limited, Championship level player IMO. Valery was a better player last year and look how poor he has been.

I think our problems run deeper than that and TBH Targett never really looked good enough. He'd be a bit better than Danso or Hoj but still a very limited, Championship level player IMO. Valery was a better player last year and look how poor he has been.
I think we have problems across the squad and I was never a particular fan of Targett but he'd still do a better job than sticking some random squad member there.

It's not really the point though becuase I wasn't against Targett leaving I just wanted him replaced with a better LB which we didn't do leaving us one LB who for various reasons hasn't been available for a big chunk of the season which is unbalancing our squad.

Jose Fonte just been on TalkSport saying that he doesn't think that Ralph will turn this around.
After four managers in three and a bit seasons I'm not really sure any manager can turn this squad around except on a very temporary basis. If we replace Ralph the players might try a bit harder, for a few games, for the new guy, and then they will just regress back to their natural level of a bit crap.

Edited by doddisalegend

After four managers in three and a bit seasons I'm not really sure any manager can turn this squad around except on a very temporary basis. If we replace Ralph the players might try a bit harder, for a few games, for the new guy bit and then they will just regress back to their natural level of a bit crap.

And the next manager will be sacked, the way it goes nowadays.

Club should say to players, Ralph is our manager and he will remain our manager. You don’t like him or don’t want to play for him? You can leave. That way the club makes a clear statement and hopefully some players will leave (for the right price that is).

After four managers in three and a bit seasons I'm not really sure any manager can turn this squad around except on a very temporary basis. If we replace Ralph the players might try a bit harder, for a few games, for the new guy, and then they will just regress back to their natural level of a bit crap.

So 1 point from the last 21 on offer is good going with the group of players we have?

And the next manager will be sacked, the way it goes nowadays.

Club should say to players, Ralph is our manager and he will remain our manager. You don’t like him or don’t want to play for him? You can leave. That way the club makes a clear statement and hopefully some players will leave (for the right price that is).

I thought they had said that?

So 1 point from the last 21 on offer is good going with the group of players we have?
Fighting relegation every season with this group of players is as good as it gets until we finally get relegated. This is the third relegation battle season in a row we are basically Sunderland.

Fighting relegation every season with this group of players is as good as it gets until we finally get relegated. This is the third relegation battle season in a row we are basically Sunderland.

Isn't that how half the table operates season to season? Fighting to stay in the league?

Maybe just me but I find some of the defence of our results quite pathetic really. What you are basically saying is for Ralph to be a good manager he needs to have world class players.

Puel had basically the same squad and did a lot better.

Hughes and MP2 had basically the same squad.

By your logic they were actually good managers too as they picked up points in a higher % of games than RH?

MP2 got at least a point in 59% of his games.

MH got at least a point in 49% of his games and RH has got at least a point in 48% of his games.

I think we all agree the players are not very good. Not when you compare them to a team like Liverpool.

But for a club of our standing they are mostly fine.

When the manager isn't picking players in their correct positions and picks players who are not adding anything he is immune from criticism because the players are ****?

I don't buy it. And I do not accept as Marco alluded to that getting so few points in our past 6-7 games is anywhere near acceptable. What it shows to me is that when a team isn't doing well he lacks the know how or tactical brain to turn it around.

You earn your way to getting superstar clubs where you can spend hundreds of millions. You do that by making do with what you have and somehow getting more out of them. Look at Burnley and Sheff Utd.

If he doesn't have the ability to find the solutions to the problems we have than what is the point of him being here?

Isn't that how half the table operates season to season? Fighting to stay in the league?

Maybe just me but I find some of the defence of our results quite pathetic really. What you are basically saying is for Ralph to be a good manager he needs to have world class players.

By your logic they were actually good managers too as they picked up points in a higher % of games than RH?

MH got at least a point in 49% of his games and RH has got at least a point in 48% of his games.

I think we all agree the players are not very good. Not when you compare them to a team like Liverpool.

When the manager isn't picking players in their correct positions and picks players who are not adding anything he is immune from criticism because the players are ****?

I don't buy it. And I do not accept as Marco alluded to that getting so few points in our past 6-7 games is anywhere near acceptable. What it shows to me is that when a team isn't doing well he lacks the know how or tactical brain to turn it around.

You earn your way to getting superstar clubs where you can spend hundreds of millions. You do that by making do with what you have and somehow getting more out of them. Look at Burnley and Sheff Utd.

If he doesn't have the ability to find the solutions to the problems we have than what is the point of him being here?

yeah yeah heard it all before. Its not the players they're actually good strange then that changing manager has made no difference several times already. If things carry on as they are the club will sack Ralph, everyone will rejoice, someone else will come in and we may get a new manager bounce and survive and then we can go through the whole crappy experience again next season. Like I said we are like Sunderland of a few seasons a go. A crap owner, no plan, empty promises, endless managers and a bunch of crap players with no bottle and little ability, on stupid wages a lovely little package all wrapped up in a little bow of malaise. the club is a mess from top to bottom and that can't just be fixed with simple solutions like sacking the manager it runs much deeper than that.

Very good post

Most managers bring a team with them, Poch when he came to us, then to Spurs and off again, Mourinho has 5 assistants arriving with him at Spurs etc.. Hassenhutl had Rohl who has now left - possibly because he saw the writing on the wall.

What players have actually been recruited under his aegis: Djenepo, who looks good? Danso who looks raw but at least can run a bit faster than the rest of our one paced midfield and perhaps should be played there. No back up LB, not a great position at RB.

It appears to me he's been sh*t on a bit, and may soon have various misfits back from various money-draining loans. Has he really been given a chance, for all the talk about selection issues? All this talk about Sheffield, but they are a squad like us when we came up - on a roll and no overpaid crapness. There's an honesty about their own ability which translates to honesty of effort on the pitch, and I don't think we've seen that from our players.

I am not an insider, don't know the relation between players and coach or between owner and coaching team. I see the results and the performance. I don't know much about former coaches either.

I was a fan of RH up to the last games of Southhampton. Incredible one or the other of that games. So the conficence I had since December last year is gone.

The pessimistic side can well be found in this forum, understandable.

If RH has to go it would be a desaster for his career and I think he will do everything that this does not happen. He never was in such a situation as a coach. What he did wrong regarding positioning and being loyal too long to some of the players should get recognized by him. I do hope so.

The optimistic side inside of me hopes that he will take new changes and new actions - just out of necessity. We all know teams which had an incredible good second half of a season, climbing high in the table after all, unexpectedly. This can happen too, with Southampton. For me it is first of all a matter of morale, and to uphold and strenghten morale in this situation, that is the job of the coach. if RH has this quality, we will see, beginning on Saturday.

I’d settle for the temporary turn around if it somehow was enough to keep us up. The alternative is oblivion, I can’t see us recovering from this if we continue.

I am not an insider, don't know the relation between players and coach or between owner and coaching team. I see the results and the performance. I don't know much about former coaches either.

I was a fan of RH up to the last games of Southhampton. Incredible one or the other of that games. So the conficence I had since December last year is gone.

The pessimistic side can well be found in this forum, understandable.

If RH has to go it would be a desaster for his career and I think he will do everything that this does not happen. He never was in such a situation as a coach. What he did wrong regarding positioning and being loyal too long to some of the players should get recognized by him. I do hope so.

The optimistic side inside of me hopes that he will take new changes and new actions - just out of necessity. We all know teams which had an incredible good second half of a season, climbing high in the table after all, unexpectedly. This can happen too, with Southampton. For me it is first of all a matter of morale, and to uphold and strenghten morale in this situation, that is the job of the coach. if RH has this quality, we will see, beginning on Saturday.

You've made some good contributions Reinhard, despite some questionable player choices/positioning this season (and how will we ever get over 0-9 at home?), I'm still a fan of RH. I think he's been sh*t on from a great height (a British saying!) and I bet he can't quite believe how badly it's gone since becoming a popular new face in the PL, the focus of attention on football TV shows and instantly adored by most Saints fans.

This now seems a long time ago

But I'd love to see Ralph with his choices in place, players/coaches that will suit his style, it won't happen quickly enough for some but this mess will take some time to sort out.

I’d settle for the temporary turn around if it somehow was enough to keep us up. The alternative is oblivion, I can’t see us recovering from this if we continue.
To be honest I'm starting to think the only way to get rid of the owners is to crash and burn while we continue to hang on in the PL the owner will stay and carry on with their failed policies. Just scraping survival in the PL season after season doesn't really hold any appeal.

Puel did not have the same squad, he had Fonte and Virgil for half a season. Those two are easily worth six points in six months, compared to our current defence. Take those away and Puel finishes 17th.

Nobody has covered themselves in glory here but that’s four managers in a row fighting the drop. Our squad is crap.

Puel did not have the same squad, he had Fonte and Virgil for half a season. Those two are easily worth six points in six months, compared to our current defence. Take those away and Puel finishes 17th.

Nobody has covered themselves in glory here but that’s four managers in a row fighting the drop. Our squad is crap.

I didn't say the same exact squad I said basically the same squad.

In the last few games that season it was pretty much the same players

Utd when it was 0-0 10 of the 11 starting players are still here.

Liverpool when it was 0-0 9 of the starting 11 are still here.

In that season we won the same amount of games in the first half of the season as we did in the second half after the transfer window. And that second half as you mention was without Van Djik or Fonte. We had Stephens, Yoshida and Hoedt.

We all know we have some really bad players. But I think we have a bad manager too.

Based on the last 17 games where we have a 10% win ratio and a 60% loss ratio its clear the squad isn't good enough overall. But its also clear in my view the manager doesn't have the ability to turn it around.

In the real world we won't be getting rid of our owner anytime soon and we won't be spending £50-£60m a season to try and get into the top 6. Right now I think we need a man to man manager who can get players playing above themselves.

For me the worst thing we can do is repeat the same mistakes of the past where we believed going down will get rid of all our problems.

If on the 1st of 2020 we are still doing badly performance wise and there is still no improvement I think people have to accept RH isn't as good as they like to think he is.

...and how will we ever get over 0-9 at home?

The 0-9 at home is history. Austrian soccerteam once lost 0-9 against Spain twenty years ago or so, the Austrians were coached by the great and adored Ernst Happel. He said, he takes the responsibility for it, and continued with his work till he died. No one cares about that desastrous result anymore. It's history. The great Juventus from Italy lost against a small Viennese team many years ago in an European competition 0-7. And? We can score in Leicester 3-0 in spring, against 11 men, and then it looks much better.

To be honest I'm starting to think the only way to get rid of the owners is to crash and burn while we continue to hang on in the PL the owner will stay and carry on with their failed policies. Just scraping survival in the PL season after season doesn't really hold any appeal.

I get that, but it is almost Hobsons choice, get rid of the owner as a result of relegation but potentially go on huge decline or hang on in there and hope something changes with ownership, Id prefer the latter. I just don't think Saints are enough of a draw for a potential investor once we are in the championship. I know it happened once, but that is possibly never to be repeated.

I didn't say the same exact squad I said basically the same squad.

In the last few games that season it was pretty much the same players

Utd when it was 0-0 10 of the 11 starting players are still here.

Liverpool when it was 0-0 9 of the starting 11 are still here.

In that season we won the same amount of games in the first half of the season as we did in the second half after the transfer window. And that second half as you mention was without Van Djik or Fonte. We had Stephens, Yoshida and Hoedt.

We all know we have some really bad players. But I think we have a bad manager too.

Based on the last 17 games where we have a 10% win ratio and a 60% loss ratio its clear the squad isn't good enough overall. But its also clear in my view the manager doesn't have the ability to turn it around.

In the real world we won't be getting rid of our owner anytime soon and we won't be spending £50-£60m a season to try and get into the top 6. Right now I think we need a man to man manager who can get players playing above themselves.

For me the worst thing we can do is repeat the same mistakes of the past where we believed going down will get rid of all our problems.

If on the 1st of 2020 we are still doing badly performance wise and there is still no improvement I think people have to accept RH isn't as good as they like to think he is.

I think putting Fonte and Virgil in this team would more than make up for the differences between Puel and Ralph. I'm not defending everything he has done but we can't just keep changing managers in the hope that something will happen. It's basically a roulette wheel of managers, continuously throwing money on one number until you eventually get one that pays out. There's no strategy and it will just fail long term.

Before we sack him we need to address the issues which are DEFINITELY wrong and that's the squad. Then if he is still failing, we can look at another manager.

I think putting Fonte and Virgil in this team would more than make up for the differences between Puel and Ralph. I'm not defending everything he has done but we can't just keep changing managers in the hope that something will happen. It's basically a roulette wheel of managers, continuously throwing money on one number until you eventually get one that pays out. There's no strategy and it will just fail long term.

Before we sack him we need to address the issues which are DEFINITELY wrong and that's the squad. Then if he is still failing, we can look at another manager.

This could be an expensive strategy though ...

This could be an expensive strategy though ...

Cheaper than getting relegated.

We've had 2 gaping holes in the middle of defence for more than 2 years. A few clean sheets a season are gold dust to a team fighting to stay up, unfortunately it's something we look less and less capable of because we don't have any first XI premier league quality centre backs.

I get that, but it is almost Hobsons choice, get rid of the owner as a result of relegation but potentially go on huge decline or hang on in there and hope something changes with ownership, Id prefer the latter. I just don't think Saints are enough of a draw for a potential investor once we are in the championship. I know it happened once, but that is possibly never to be repeated.

It was NC who spotted our potential as an investment and persuaded Saint Markus to buy us. We never appreciated NC and despised him as The Dwarf, but we could do with another NC now to find us an owner willing to invest.

It was NC who spotted our potential as an investment and persuaded Saint Markus to buy us. We never appreciated NC and despised him as The Dwarf, but we could do with another NC now to find us an owner willing to invest.

With respect that is Cortese's version of events, and he would say that wouldn't he. The truth is significantly different. Marcus wanted to invest in football club, one of his advisors spoke to Cortese, a banker with a background in sports investments, a number of clubs were shortlisted, Cortese was involved in the negotiations and stayed on after. Marcus set the ball rolling not Cortese. If he is despised one reason would be the rewriting of history to make himself look good.

NB: 6 years out of the game and nobody has seen fit to employ him despite AC Milan and others desperate for his 'midas touch'

Though I could be wrong Gao is apparently trying to sell his share of the club...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-news-sale-gao-jisheng-owner-ralph-hasenhuttl-arsenal-epl-a9213571.html

With respect that is Cortese's version of events, and he would say that wouldn't he. The truth is significantly different. Marcus wanted to invest in football club, one of his advisors spoke to Cortese, a banker with a background in sports investments, a number of clubs were shortlisted, Cortese was involved in the negotiations and stayed on after. Marcus set the ball rolling not Cortese. If he is despised one reason would be the rewriting of history to make himself look good.

NB: 6 years out of the game and nobody has seen fit to employ him despite AC Milan and others desperate for his 'midas touch'

He was also interviewed on TalkSport a while back and hinted that he had various job opportunities in football, yet still nothing.

In a way I agree with what you are saying. The amount of cash we are paying ex managers must be pretty high. You can't keep on going down that route.

However if we are being totally honest a club in our position/stature can't go out and buy 5-6 top players a season. It just can't be done with an owner like the one we have. Plus those top players won't come here now anyway.

The players we have are likely to be the ones we have for a couple of seasons. Which means the manager is going to have to find a way to get them playing better. Or more specifically make them not as easy to be beaten.

You can't keep changing a manager. You need stability. But based on this season and the end to last season do you buy into his vision? Do you think the effort is there? Have you seen enough to make you think given more players the system will work and we will improve?

Personally I haven't seen it and that's what worries me.

I think it was Wilder who said something like "I'm not going to praise effort, effort should be expected every game. If a player isn't doing what he is asked to do he won't play. I am not going to appease the fans. Someone else is always waiting for a chance. If a player keeps giving the ball away to quality players that creates a bad situation for the rest of the team."

Obviously every manager is different in how they do things. But from what I have seen from Ralph he keeps doing the same-thing, keeps making the same mistakes and isn't learning from them. That is a sign of a bad manager.

We all want the club to do well, we want to win games. If Ralph is the one who deserves that stability and time to build his own team he needs to start showing some improvements. Getting beat is one thing. Getting beat 0-9 and the manner of other defeats is something else. The players are not helping him, they are letting him down. But he has the authority to drop them, to exclude them and pick someone else. They might make the same mistakes and put in the same or worse level of performance. If we are going down at least go down with a fight. Try something different rather than accept the inevitable.

It worked out for the better last time but there’s no guarantee we get another Markus or an owner that would progress us much past what we are now if we ever made it back. We might even end up another Coventry or Sunderland type. As bad as it seems now it was a lot more depressing in the days of wotte/poorviliet in the championship .

It worked out for the better last time but there’s no guarantee we get another Markus or an owner that would progress us much past what we are now if we ever made it back. We might even end up another Coventry or Sunderland type. As bad as it seems now it was a lot more depressing in the days of wotte/poorviliet in the championship .

It really wasn’t if I’m honest. As crap as we were, at least you could get tickets for away games, usually for a reasonable price. You also had a chance of winning every game, as I learned to my astonishment when we I went to Reading that season.

Yes those days were bad but no worse than this as a fan.

That’s boll9cks I’m afraid. As Morse says a number of clubs were possibilities, but it was in fact Andy Oldknow who was key to the takeover and pushing for saints, he was rewarded by given a position as the club until NIck nack decided he could do it himself. Most of you lot lapped up all his bullsh1t, I really hope Adam Leitch does his book as hopefully he’ll expose the poison dwarf for what he was.

That’s boll9cks I’m afraid. As Morse says a number of clubs were possibilities, but it was in fact Andy Oldknow who was key to the takeover and pushing for saints, he was rewarded by given a position as the club until NIck nack decided he could do it himself. Most of you lot lapped up all his bullsh1t, I really hope Adam Leitch does his book as hopefully he’ll expose the poison dwarf for what he was.
Your hatred for Cortese is really very odd. His vision and drive allowed us to dream of what could be.

You whine when we struggle and whine when we had someone with vision and drive.

What exactly do you want?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JWP isn't just sideways and backwards, he's also too slow to cover the back 5 when he ball gets turned over. Also before he plays the sideways/backwards ball, he normally makes a point of slowing the play down. Waste of a shirt and heaping unnecessary pressure on an already suspect defence. Replace with the seemingly permanently benched Boufal.

I'd argue we are already Sunderland. As a club we act and look just like they did a few years back in the PL under Ellis Short even down to the record thumping, endless manager turn over, ****e players on two much money, and having an owner who wants out and no interest in investing there is only one way we are going and its league 1 the only issue is how long it takes. (on the upside going down the leagues might mean two proper south coast derbies a season)

I'd argue we are already Sunderland. As a club we act and look just like they did a few years back in the PL under Ellis Short even down to the record thumping, endless manager turn over, ****e players on two much money, and having an owner who wants out and no interest in investing there is only one way we are going and its league 1 the only issue is how long it takes. (on the upside going down the leagues might mean two proper south coast derbies a season)

I don’t think it’s that bad yet personally we are just in a place right now where we are struggling to find the right formula and also haven’t really managed to have a transfer window that turns us around. When we start having a transfer window where we make say three signings like this summer who all come in actually improve the first team we can see progress, but seems some disconection here between Ralph and recruitment. But Djenepo really does look a diamond.

Also have to say are we really looking worse now then our last spell in the premiership under Rupert Lowe ? Back then we were buying no better players then we do now in my opinion and was also fighting relegation most seasons. We had some good times in the cortese poch and koeman eras but now are starting to return to our level, but I do think we can turn it around if we start getting the transfers right and a manager who can get us playing above our level, Steve Walsh sounds promising hope we get him.

Your hatred for Cortese is really very odd. His vision and drive allowed us to dream of what could be.

Turkish will no doubt answer if he wants to, but cortese was a nightmare, and some of it has been documented on here. Yes he was at the helm during what was possibly the most exciting era in the club's history, and we all enjoyed our clubs resurrection and return to the PL. However, cortese as a character made us unpopular in football circles, he was divisive in the club, and ultimately treated the club as if it were his trainset with masses of financial waste including and overspend by about £25m on the (leased) training ground without approval. There were other issues too. Don't get me a wrong, I'd have a cortese with cash to burn over the current idiots every day of the week, but let's not kid ourselves that cortese was perfect.

I don’t think it’s that bad yet personally we are just in a place right now where we are struggling to find the right formula and also haven’t really managed to have a transfer window that turns us around. When we start having a transfer window where we make say three signings like this summer who all come in actually improve the first team we can see progress, but seems some disconection here between Ralph and recruitment. But Djenepo really does look a diamond.

Also have to say are we really looking worse now then our last spell in the premiership under Rupert Lowe ? Back then we were buying no better players then we do now in my opinion and was also fighting relegation most seasons. We had some good times in the cortese poch and koeman eras but now are starting to return to our level, but I do think we can turn it around if we start getting the transfers right and a manager who can get us playing above our level, Steve Walsh sounds promising hope we get him.

I think it's worse than you think. Pinning your hopes on us have a couple of good transfer windows to get us back on track seems very optimistic given our recent history.

One massive difference between our time under Lowe and this time was we had MLT a player who could win a match and get us points through sheer bloody brilliance we have nothing like that this time.

The 90s are a long time ago now and maybe I'm a bit nostalgic but I'm sure the lads back then had way more fight and heart than this current bunch. It felt a lot more like the players and fans where in it together in the relegation scraps this current lot just give the impression they're not to bothered.

Edited by doddisalegend

I didn’t hate him, I just didn’t buy all his bullsh*t and as I knew Quite a few people working at the club and in the media before and during his time here knew exactly what was going on. Not lapping up all his propaganda like and singing his name.

I thought he did a great job up until the second half of our championship season. That was when he ego ran away with him.

Isn’t it interesting that despite how so many saints fans loved him, his vision and drive he’s been out of football for six years with no other club showing the remotest interest, despite him turning down AC Milan several times when he was here

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl