Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Great to win today. But still no excuse for the pathetic display for the other 75% of the game. It seems clear he can't motivate the players enough.

I don’t think it’s a motivation thing. We generally start okay until we concede and our heads drop.

Stephens mistake made our heads drop, 2 decent subs raised them again.

Great to win today. But still no excuse for the pathetic display for the other 75% of the game. It seems clear he can't motivate the players enough.

I don’t think it’s a motivation thing. We generally start okay until we concede and our heads drop.

Stephens mistake made our heads drop, 2 decent subs raised them again.

Ralph can’t do much with the team, we have had a number of managers with the same squad achieving the same results. Problems lie with the players / recruitment / board / owner. We would not get a better manager than him if we got rid.

So mark Hughes was not all bad then?

I won’t go there pellegrino lol

Players are massivly letting down Ralph. You can see him doing his nut on the sideline when Stephens, Cedric and Hojbjerg are trying to assist the oppo. Then youve got sideways and backwards from our midfield, starving out talented strikeforce and not setting up the attacks quickly after breaking them up. Some of the players are unable to implement his tactics on a matchday.

The only thing I would say to that is I still don't get what Stephens is doing in the team, he is Championship level at best and always will be. Yoshida is far from perfect but is considerably better than Stephens so should be playing. I agree with your general point though that there is a limited amount any manager can do with some of these players.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

The only thing I would say to that is I still don't get what Stephens is doing in the team, he is Championship level at best and always will be. Yoshida is far from perfect but is considerably better than Stephens so should be playing. I agree with your general point though that there is a limited amount any manager can do with some of these players.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Agreed Pete, not sure what Yoshida has done but he’s much better than Stephens. Yoshida is indeed far from perfect but he’s much more solid than Stephens, who just looks terrified and makes far too many mistakes.

Subs changed the game. Credit where it is due.

Tactical genius? :suspicious:

Agreed Pete, not sure what Yoshida has done but he’s much better than Stephens. Yoshida is indeed far from perfect but he’s much more solid than Stephens, who just looks terrified and makes far too many mistakes.

Looks like Yoshida and Gunn have taken the blame for the Leicester result.

The substitutions changed the game. End of. The manager won that game tonight despite the ‘efforts’ of some of the team to the contrary.

He selected the ridiculous line up in the first place, literally no midfield, looked like a four two four in old money. I still think the blokes a nutter.

Not as bad as Watford though and we looked better against Arsenal than we did today.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Fair point.

I honestly do wonder how much playing at home affects the players. They just seem to crumble when at home, no confidence what so ever.

Players are massivly letting down Ralph. You can see him doing his nut on the sideline when Stephens, Cedric and Hojbjerg are trying to assist the oppo. Then youve got sideways and backwards from our midfield, starving out talented strikeforce and not setting up the attacks quickly after breaking them up. Some of the players are unable to implement his tactics on a matchday.

The only thing I would say to that is I still don't get what Stephens is doing in the team, he is Championship level at best and always will be. Yoshida is far from perfect but is considerably better than Stephens so should be playing. I agree with your general point though that there is a limited amount any manager can do with some of these players

I agree with LeG, his aftermatch interview (on MOTD) highlighted his frustration. We all scratch our heads at some of his selections but you can only assume these players are doing it convincingly on the training pitch when trying to find solutions to our frailties. And then, particularly at home, those same players let him down.

Playing at home should be a massive advantage to sides through familiarity and having 90% of the crowd backing them. It's not like that down here, most weeks it's a walk in the park for the opposition. Away fans make the most noise, yesterday when we really needed a vociferous crowd driving us forward, most of the ground was comatose, completely dead south of the halfway line (...until the last 10 mins). The players gain no advantage or drive from the home fans, any boos any generally louder than support.

I agree with LeG, his aftermatch interview (on MOTD) highlighted his frustration. We all scratch our heads at some of his selections but you can only assume these players are doing it convincingly on the training pitch when trying to find solutions to our frailties. And then, particularly at home, those same players let him down.

Playing at home should be a massive advantage to sides through familiarity and having 90% of the crowd backing them. It's not like that down here, most weeks it's a walk in the park for the opposition. Away fans make the most noise, yesterday when we really needed a vociferous crowd driving us forward, most of the ground was comatose, completely dead south of the halfway line (...until the last 10 mins). The players gain no advantage or drive from the home fans, any boos any generally louder than support.

Our home support is terrible. It’s the legacy of selling off anything with a significant monetary value.

Totally agree regarding JS but he has put in a few good performances...hence keeping his place in the side...only for him to be exposed a few games down the line. We don't have a single defender who can show his worth for more than a few games. Crying out for a leader back there.

Totally agree but same applies to midfield too only Ings is our spine the rest are jelly fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felt a bit sorry for our players yesterday, it seemed they were being booed by sections of their own fans for large part of first 70 mins.

performances have been below par for 3 years now.

Saints fans (imho) have been very patient during a long period of mismanagement and poor performances on/off the pitch

some booing at HT is probably the very least the club and players deserve

if you can credit players for the last 20 mins yesterday you can equally question why the same effort wasn’t applied for the other 70

Totally agree regarding JS but he has put in a few good performances...hence keeping his place in the side...only for him to be exposed a few games down the line. We don't have a single defender who can show his worth for more than a few games. Crying out for a leader back there.

Would any defence look good in a 424 (basically that's what it was) with Hoj and JWP in front of them? I remember the Chris Nicholls 424 days when we struggled at the back, and that was with Case as a protector, and in an era when full backs mostly stayed back. Yesterday we had full backs bombing on joining a front 4. It's a suicide system and the CB's did well yesterday.

The crowd have been worn down. Years of poor football and results at home have ultimately drained the joy from home games. It’s hard to muster up any enthusiasm when the players perform so badly. The fans aren’t to blame. It’s an entertainment industry without the entertainment. Fans are under no obligation to cheer. They pay their money and should expect some form of effort as a result.

Would any defence look good in a 424 (basically that's what it was) with Hoj and JWP in front of them? I remember the Chris Nicholls 424 days when we struggled at the back, and that was with Case as a protector, and in an era when full backs mostly stayed back. Yesterday we had full backs bombing on joining a front 4. It's a suicide system and the CB's did well yesterday.

The CB’s have looked poor in a 433, 4222 (or 424), 352, 522, 343... theyre just not very good. Constant simple mistakes from all of them. The manager can not be held accountable for that.

The crowd have been worn down. Years of poor football and results at home have ultimately drained the joy from home games. It’s hard to muster up any enthusiasm when the players perform so badly. The fans aren’t to blame. It’s an entertainment industry without the entertainment. Fans are under no obligation to cheer. They pay their money and should expect some form of effort as a result.

No, it s just the basic culture of english football. Sing when you re winning, boo when you are losing.

Be quiet when its even.

In Europe, you have fans who make noise and support irrespective of what is going on the pitch and that is called real support.

No, it s just the basic culture of english football. Sing when you re winning, boo when you are losing.

Be quiet when its even.

In Europe, you have fans who make noise and support irrespective of what is going on the pitch and that is called real support.

Real support is turning up week in, week out, to watch a bunch of useless ****s put in yet another turd of a performance, for over three seasons, and yet still keep coming back for another mouthful of **** pie the following week....

Be quiet when its even.

That was the football culture in the 70's for sure, sing when you're winning boo when you're loosing, and to be honest I don't see the harm in that. The 'uber' support where any form of criticism is frowned on is all a bit false. Back at the Dell in the 70's if there was no action a slow handclap would start up, if we lost we booed the off. Simple, call a spade a spade.

I'm generally what most would consider a happy clapper and am against booing your own players and team, but even I snapped yesterday and found myself booing at times (which I'm not proud of). Had a season ticket since we moved to SMS but I dread going to game these days, there is no enjoyment to be had at all. I really hate the vast majority of this team, how they constantly bottle it and have made us a laughing stock and find it very hard to muster up the enthusiasm to give them support anymore. Our home record over the last few years is diabolical. However credit where it's due for turning it around yesterday and I had genuinely forgotten how it felt to walk out of SMS with a smile on my face after a win.

As this is the Ralph thread, he is not the problem and changing him would make little difference imo. Unfortunately it's going to take a long time to fix the shambles of a squad we have now, and that's not to mention the ownership issues.

I think anyone is entitled to boo if you have paid good money and have taken the time out to watch 70 odd mins off hoof it side-wards and backwards with no purpose then i'm sorry but the boos are justified. It's about time these players put on that shirt and take the game by the scruff of the neck from the get go not wait until the opposition scores to react. That's the problem with some of our squad they just need a good kick up the arse or to be sold.

Absolutely this

Seems Ralph gets it..

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18071864.ralph-hasenhuttl-players-lift-crowd/

RALPH Hasenhuttl insists it is up to his team to lift the home crowd after Saints responded to being booed by coming from behind to beat Watford.

The Saints boss was pleased with the character shown by his players but was quick to defend those supporters who booed them.

“It’s normal,” he said. “The atmosphere was exactly how we played. We need to lift them, we have to create.

"You cannot demand support if you don’t show them anything. You have to show and then you get something."

I must be honest, I was annoyed by what appeared to be sarcastic clapping by Ryan Bertrand at the end of the first half when the booing started. I am a fan of his but come on, what did he realistically expect? No home win since April and string of extremely poor performances this season. I spend a lot of money on my ST and I don't get value for it....I am entitled to show my feelings...although I didn't actually boo....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

If we lost today we would be on page 20 already.

Fans need to get behind Ralph and think longterm not game to game.

Still convinced the issues we have are more squad than Ralph

Had a similar convo, with some fans outside the ground. They were blaming Ralph for everything thats wrong. I reminded them the last 2 relegation battles , were with virtually the same players. I said Ralph can polish sh*t, but its still sh*t

Had a similar convo, with some fans outside the ground. They were blaming Ralph for everything thats wrong. I reminded them the last 2 relegation battles , were with virtually the same players. I said Ralph can polish sh*t, but its still sh*t

but that is almost suggesting Ralph is not much better (if at all) than Hughes?

Seems Ralph gets it..

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18071864.ralph-hasenhuttl-players-lift-crowd/

RALPH Hasenhuttl insists it is up to his team to lift the home crowd after Saints responded to being booed by coming from behind to beat Watford.

The Saints boss was pleased with the character shown by his players but was quick to defend those supporters who booed them.

“It’s normal,” he said. “The atmosphere was exactly how we played. We need to lift them, we have to create.

"You cannot demand support if you don’t show them anything. You have to show and then you get something."

Some of our resident self proclaimed super fans won't like Ralph's comments.

They've been preaching the unconditional super support.

Ralph is absolutely right though.

The booing during play doesn't help. By all means boo at HT and FT if necessary.

They deserved it, they were awful for an hour. They’d get far worse at other clubs believe me. I’d the delicate little flowers can’t cope with a bit of ear ache when they’ve repeatedly been absolute sh*t then it just proves they aren’t good enough. Good players with good mentalities react to that, cowards melt under it.

The booing during play doesn't help. By all means boo at HT and FT if necessary.

The confident is clearly low as it is so I wonder what good booing does. If you are having a bad day at work are you more likely to try and pick things up if encouraged if if someone comes along and slags you off? If it difficult to be supportive if the team are playing poorly but that is exactly when they need support most, not when they are 6-0 up and coasting. Support during the match and kick off after if you need to. No one goes out and plays badly on purpose.

The confident is clearly low as it is so I wonder what good booing does. If you are having a bad day at work are you more likely to try and pick things up if encouraged if if someone comes along and slags you off? If it difficult to be supportive if the team are playing poorly but that is exactly when they need support most, not when they are 6-0 up and coasting. Support during the match and kick off after if you need to. No one goes out and plays badly on purpose.

No wins in 9 months 1 point at home this season beaten 9-0 . The support has been fine people pay good money to watch players who earn vast fortunes compared to them go through the motions watching bizarre tactics formations and performances.

Yet you expect us that go to sit politely applaud watching them put in another pathetic performance?

If someone does something good they get cheered, applauded if they foul up yet again then they get told the poor loves my heart bleeds for them.

Come and watch this shower play backwards sideways miss place 5 yard passes don’t even look to go forwards hoof it to a midget then maybe you lot of armchair fans may think differently.

The support has been ok not brilliant but then when you have been starved of anything like a performance it’s hardly surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl