Our support

USA SaintsFan

Our players embarrassed themselves tonight and 50% of our supporters embarrassed themselves as well. People streaming out after 20 mins, what’s all that about. “Southampton till I die, (provided we’re not getting battered)”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We left on 20 minutes, and frankly the biggest message to the club would have been if everyone else had too.

I've had a season ticket for years and been to watch us away in Europe 5 times but I'm not fussed about hanging around in the rain to watch us get an absolute hammering.

Our players embarrassed themselves tonight and 50% of our supporters embarrassed themselves as well. People streaming out after 20 mins, what’s all that about. “Southampton till I die, (provided we’re not getting battered)”.

I hope you waved your ST at them pal.

We left on 20 minutes, and frankly the biggest message to the club would have been if everyone else had too.

I've had a season ticket for years and been to watch us away in Europe 5 times but I'm not fussed about hanging around in the rain to watch us get an absolute hammering.

Top support, not fickle at all. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They paid good money to watch that shïte, why on earth should they be forced to watch the additional 6 goals go in?

A performance like tonight’s deserves an empty stadium.

As whelk said, each to their own. I'm generally a happy clapper and would normally stay to the end, but you can't blame people for walking out of that **** show. Wasn't there last night, but if i was i would probably have walked after 5 or 6. What grates are the few cocks on here that relish in having a pop at the fans no matter what, but rarely, if ever actual go.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Did you politely boo at the end before going home?

The support was far, far better once half our fans had found the exit. Bearing in mind that this was still prior to half time.

I do find it a bit odd that it works like that; it wasn't like those that stayed and sang weren't still physically spread out.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the motivations for leaving. There's a few I know that follow the club here, there and everywhere, and you couldn't question their dedication. But I bet there was a significant portion that wouldn't come to games if we weren't in the PL.

Fair play to the ones who stayed and kept singing - But I think it would’ve been great if everyone had left at half time. Singing gave the impression the fans were ‘by the players no matter what’ type thing. That shouldn’t be the case. There shouldn’t have been anyone left in the stadium for them to applaud at the final whistle. As I say, fair play to the ones who stayed, shouldn’t be criticised, just would’ve made a statement for everyone to have gone.

Singing gave the impression the fans were ‘by the players no matter what’ type thing. That shouldn’t be the case.

The concentration of current-player chants was very low. Frankly this shower can get to **** - but it's our club to the death, and the vocal support of that was the only enjoyable part of the evening.

It's starting to feel like gutting the lot and going back to square one may be the only way to proceed.

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of the motivations for leaving. There's a few I know that follow the club here, there and everywhere, and you couldn't question their dedication. But I bet there was a significant portion that wouldn't come to games if we weren't in the PL.

Mine was a culmination of a few things.

Highest on the list is the overwhelming frustration about the absolute car crash we have become from top to bottom. A chairman with highly questionable motives for owning the club. Players who don't seem to care.

The sanitisation of modern football. Light shows, the erosion of any type of terrace culture, the lack of effort from players on extortionate wages. At the moment it feels like the club is being leeched by a number of people and the gutless performance last night just highlighted what a total disaster we have become. We have no direction other than downwards.

I'd probably feel more pride in the club if we were completely skint, playing in League One with a team cobbled together from youth players and free agents like Bolton.

Having been to over 1000 Saints games all over the country and Europe I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've left early. Last night was one of them. I just felt numb to the situation which isn't something I thought would ever happen.

St Mary’s has changed since I’ve been going. Sterile now. And nothing compared with the dell. Used to hear great chants: “sit down,

You’re going down”, “you used to be good but now you’re ****”, “when I had the wings of an eagle”, “touch of a (probably not so good in these wine times [emoji37]), “sit down Pinocchio” (to any big hootered away staff but especially Phil Thompson) etc etc. Now it’s sterile at SMS and the difference between relegation in 05 and promotion in 12 is absolutely incredible. Honestly, I’ve heard more noise in church. We are not alone in that but by gove it’s depressing.

Since Puel took over......62 home league games....15 wins. That's 15 wins in 3¼ seasons or an average of 4.5 a season. Are you really surprised that the support is flat? I still go (as it means I can escape the Mrs), but TBH I don't really enjoy it anymore. I live in hope that we get a rip roaring game/atmosphere, but it never happens. What goes on on the pitch is responsible for that (and the last time it was buzzing was after JWP scored vs Spurs last season). This season at home, P5 W0 D1 L4. I'm a bad supporter I guess - I pay my money for my 2 season tickets, yet find it hard to really get enthused. Maybe it would be best for the atmosphere if I didn't bother turning up.

And FWIW, for those 2 STs and other tickets purchased for league games, I reckon its about £6k I've spent to see those 15 wins, which works out at £400 a win.

Why did the players deserve any support? They were an absolute disgrace and as other have said the biggest impact would have been if everyone had walked out.

If these players were in Italy fans would be storming training, here you get super fans having a pop at other fans for leaving early, what a joke.

Fickle fans are best personified by Arsenal in Wenger’s final season. I think they were sixth in the table, cup final and Europa QF at the time and the ground was half empty in ‘protest’. I think the sheer arrogance of that annoyed me disproportionately. The idea that only being sixth in the league was so far beneath them that they refused to turn up and watch ‘only’ winning half their home games. The media pundits actually feeling sorry for them and tragic fall from grace.

I love Jeff Sterling normally but he can f**k right off with that comment. I can only assume he wasn’t actually watching because asking anyone to sit and watch that absolutely pathetic failure to provide any kind of bare minimum effort or desire is ridiculous. As if a stadium full of people singing ‘come on you reds’ would have kicked that shower of sh*te into gear. Jeff, that was categorically the worst footballing display in Premier League history, p*ss off. At least Ipswich had the excuse of being away at OT, playing against Cantona, Kanchelskis, Andy Cole and f**k knows who else.

If it was a one off he might have a point but it wasn’t. It was 16 goals conceded in 3 home games and the pinnacle of 3.5 years of just dreadful football.

The players on the pitch were dire. Absolutely sodding awful. We got beat by nine goals at home. I have never seen a performance as bad as that by any team, anywhere, ever.

They did not give a toss. They do not care. They will drive their luxury cars back to their luxury mansions and still pocket their vast sums of money for turning in a performance like that.

As if that isn't bad enough, there are some here who claim to be better than others because they were daft enough to stay and watch that pile of **** until the final whistle, singing and clapping as if everything was absolutely fine with the world and the team they apparently support so much better than those who left early.

If the happy clappers has stayed and dished out vocally what they actually thought of the team, the owners, the management and made it a hostile, angry environment that might actually shock a few on the pitch into seeing how ****ing unprofessional and arrogant they are then fair play.

But to sing in support and 'lift the lads' in a situation they really don't give a **** about is just bloody madness.

How is anything going to change when the support is always there, always politely clapping and singing during a shocker like that?

I don't get this 'more worthy', 'I'm more of a fan than you because I stayed to the end' business.

Everyone pays their money and has the choice to attend or stay.

An emptying stadium or some anger from the fans would be better than getting behind a team of so called professionals, millionaires who can't even pass a ball, make a tackle and stand around while the opposition run rings around them.

Fair play if you left, fair play if you stayed but how anyone can judge another fan for leaving during that demolition is beyond me.

Staying to the end and supporting a team and club that is increasingly alienating itself from their fans is just bloody madness.

There should've been a frigging riot after that, not a good old song song.

I stayed to the end just to see if it stopped raining.

Thats what Mrs JBS quipped too.

Sadly I wasn't there Friday due to being in the Far East with work, but Mrs JBS dragged daughter number one along in my place, they thought the singing was more about the club not the shower in red and white stumbling around on the pitch. Fair play to them they stayed until the bitter end.

.................I would have probably done the same, but then I like a bit of gallows humour.

on the one hand the uber fans want a protest

then they don't want anyone to leave early and sing their heart out

i think getting up and walking out was a protest and the empty stadium will have had an impact on the club, the sort people are looking for from a protest

this is the fourth season of dreadful, passionless football and so it's no wonder that over the same period the atmosphere has got worse

The singing was not for the players, nor for the club. It was for the supporters who wanted to retain some pride on the night.

Totally this. It was the fans that were left in the stadium uniting and showing some defiance and pride in our club, not the the players on the pitch. As proven by the frosty reception given to the players when they tried to go round applauding the fans afterwards. In fact there were plenty of songs about past players. As fans we will always be here, the shower of ****e representing us on Friday are only passing through.

Don't confuse pride in the club with support for the players.

Totally this. It was the fans that were left in the stadium uniting and showing some defiance and pride in our club, not the the players on the pitch. As proven by the frosty reception given to the players when they tried to go round applauding the fans afterwards. In fact there were plenty of songs about past players. As fans we will always be here, the shower of ****e representing us on Friday are only passing through.

Yup it was just that, pride in our city, the problem is the players have no connection to the city and for them it's just a job. The same could also be argued about a few of our support too, the type for whom Southampton is a football club and not the proud city of their roots, family and history.

Players, managers, owners will all go, the folk of Southampton won't. We don't have the luxury or choice to change, it's where we're from. And that's why we stayed and sang till the bitter end on Friday, because that pride means everything to us.

I'm not blaming those that left by the way, they had every right to. What we saw was nothing short of a disgrace, and i'll do think the board have got off too lightly.

I wasn't there, but that's exactly how it came across to me listening on television. Plus trying to inject a little gallows humour with the man city we're coming for you.

But frankly, at the end of the day I wouldn't knock anybody for leaving, or deciding to stay.

Edited by Micky

I wasn't there, but that's exactly how it came across to me listening on television. Plus trying to inject a gallows little humour with the man city we're coming for you.

But frankly, at the end of the day I wouldn't knock anybody for leaving, or deciding to stay.

I was at the back of the Northam and stayed to the end with my lad. The singing was definitely not in support of the players. It was gallows humour and to show our love for the club. There were lots of songs about ex players, Barnard, Punch, Ricky etc, harking back to better times. I think those better times resonated with everyone in that stand. Wasan't that long ago but felt like a lifetime.