Saints 0-9 Leicester - Reaction

Lighthouse

As a supporter of 55 tears standing I thought I had seen it all but that utterly shambolic performance last night was quite extraordinary. Take nothing away from Leicester who were sharper, faster and played very well. Having said that, we gave them the time and the space to do so. A defeat of this magnitude happens once in a generation to most teams (I hope - with back to back fixtures to come against City who knows). We all know the reason why we are in this mess - and its not the manager - but how we react will be the real test of the manager and players. The long term future for the team - indeed for the club - is difficult to predict.

After they lost 8-0 to us I believe the Sunderland players paid the travel costs of their fans. We need similar gesture from our players, like donating this week's salary to the Saints Foundation.

I remember that. Now I realise what a meaningful gesture it was. I'd suggest that Saints donate the takings for the match too.

It would be nice if the club offered some sort of a refund to those who sat through last nights mess, it would be an appropriate gesture and would more than pay for itself long term.

I’m not holding my breath tho.

Nothing will happen. In my opinion the silence speaks more volume

For me the most worrying aspect of the result last night wasn't the record breaking loss but the fact that the Leicester

players knew at half-time they were going to set a new record and they knew that our players were unable to stop them.

If we show that same mentality in any of our games from now until the end of the season there will be plenty of

teams going for a big win. It might not ever be as bad as that again but Leicester have sent out a message to

other teams facing us. Once you score a couple of goals Saints Hasenaclue. [h=1][/h]

Yep, I’m with you all along the way.

I decided to wait a while before giving my thoughts on it. I’ve just skimmed through the match recording to try to make some sense of it all and here are some random observations.

Højbjerg is a lumbering carthorse who is playing in the wrong league for the wrong team. Too slow of movement or thought and too easily dispossessed.

The weather was atrocious and Leicester did well to win the toss and choose ends. Both teams were making silly mistakes and poor passes but Leicester were just quicker to react and get moving again.

For the first goal why the hell were we trying to pass the ball all the way back to our defence? It only put Bertrand under pressure. Ralph mentioned it in his post match interview.

For the red card I think that TV mad it look worse than it actually was. At the time it just looked like an unfortunate collision in very bad playing conditions. Neither the referee nor the linesman even thought that it was a a foul and none of the players were bothered by it.

After Bertrand went off we had no full backs. Valery was just overwhelmed by it all and just lost his composure and might as well not have been on the pitch. Both flanks were wide open. And why did Valery take that ball off Ings’s feet only to make a tame shot straight at their keeper?

Yoshida has the worst game that I’ve seen him play, and I’ve seen him have a lot of bad ones. Bednarek tried to outdo him in bad positioning.

Vardy is very good at winning fouls.

Danso actually did ok when he came on.

Gunn couldn’t have done a lot about the goals. The shots were flying at him from unmarked players only a few yards out. His save for the first goal would have been brilliant if he had only pushed the shot into safety instead of palming it out to Chilwell.

Redmond escapes any criticism from me. He never stopped running or trying and looked our most dangerous player.

We stayed right to the end but I don’t blame those who wanted to get away. There were empty seats around us from regulars who didn’t fancy braving that weather.

The support from the diehards was heartwarming and seemed even louder in a half-empty stadium.

I’ve just looked at the table and our position is nowhere near irretrievable but turning that shower of lightweights around is not going to be easy. Ralph, time to earn your money.

I've left commenting until I've calmed down enough and having read through all the comments, yours is closest to how I feel now. I believe I read pre-match Hassenhuttl expressing the opinion that we needed to be a bit meaner as a team, and Bertrand was eager to impress him that the message had penetrated. Regrettably, having lost our left back, Hassenhuttl had to address our defence with a player short, and didn't change things until we were already five goals down. The defeat was a capitulation, a humiliation, and the players were like rabbits caught in the headlights. Personally, for the Cup match, we are on a hiding to nothing against Man City, so I would replace the entire defence and some of the other positions with the youngsters to send a message to the first team defence that a performance like theirs last night is not acceptable. Gunn should be given a break too, to give a chance for McCarthy.

This performance might be a blip, or it might presage a freefall to relegation. How we respond in the next few matches will show which it is. Even if we lose to Man City next week as expected, if we show some determination and give them a hard game, then there is still some hope. I give Ralph until the New Year to get us out of the bottom three and then Gao has to find some money down the back of the sofa to urgently improve the defence. If there are disruptive players in the dressing room, they need to be got rid of then.

Gao is a chinaman the same way I’m an Englishman, and quite frankly I don’t want a chinaman in charge of our club. It very rarely ends well for clubs under Far Eastern ownership, as they only use it as a vanity project....

Far Eastern ownership seems to have worked well for Leicester

Far Eastern ownership seems to have worked well for Leicester

Hence why I said very rarely. Leicester are fortunate to have owners with a bit of ambition and are willing to invest heavily for success, they’re the exact opposite of us.

As stated in another thread, the Chinese people I allude to are my family. My nephew was racially abused in his workplace by a cretinous knuckle-dragger who used the same term, just last week.

I'll be sure to tell him that some old white man on an internet forum says that he has no right to be offended.

He can be offended by whatever he likes. That's his choice. But if he's Chinese and offended by someone referring to someone else separately on something that he (apparently, based on your phrasing, is unaware of said thing) who is a man as a 'man' and Chinese as 'Chinese', well ...that's a worse state of affairs in terms of assumed privilege than someone referring to 'some old white man on an internet forum' which itself sounds 'racist' is it not?

He can be offended by whatever he likes. That's his choice. But if he's Chinese and offended by someone referring to someone else separately on something that he (apparently, based on your phrasing, is unaware of said thing) who is a man as a 'man' and Chinese as 'Chinese', well ...that's a worse state of affairs in terms of assumed privilege than someone referring to 'some old white man on an internet forum' which itself sounds 'racist' is it not?

If the OP had used the term chinese man, then you might have had a point.

But he didn't, and you don't.

HTH

Having lived in Singapore for 4yrs I can confirm the chinese call us gweilo's which roughly translates as White Devil or Foreign Devil.

But for the majority of us on this thread can you please just go and get offended somewhere else and let the rest of us discuss current meltdown.

Agreed. There's no longer any need to discuss something that clearly isn't a slur in the UK.

Well now 24 hours have passed and my mood has not improved , I sat in the stands yesterday watching, never sat in Northam before and been able to see the pitch! Thought previous results at home were bad and showed a lack of spirit but yesterday will be a scar in the memory banks til I turn my toes up .

I delayed leaving but only because of the weather in the vain hope the rain would ease off, but at 0-7 the despair was too much. I've only ever left one game early before , back at Loftus Rd mid 90's . I sat and stood thru relegation from Prem and Championship and they both hurt but nothing like the magnitude of yesterday.

So many things wrong , the basics , dont pass across the box when defending a goalie who doesnt want to get his gloves dirty , a lump of CB who cant jump not that he should need too but simply cannot win a header, midfielders who on the whole can't tackle, attackers who cant get their heads up and see team mates, and to think I waited til the last hour of ST renewnals this year when my head said we were not improving but my heart said it'll be OK ,

Thats the big thing , for the Fans its never forgotten, the world will have seen it yesterday on Sky and its shared platforms, for the club its in the history books, for the TV it will be recycled into endless programmes and the salt will be rubbed in again and again

The players will move onto other clubs and it won't impact on them , this will be with us for generations and the Fans will never forget.

Why do people think Gao will put his hand in his pocket and spend any money in January? It's clear already we wont bring in anyone of any substance. Perhaps 1 or 2 players we have never heard of that the fanbase will get excited about

Because relegation will cost him exponentially more. Anyway, the horse bolted when the summer window closed. As others have said, it's unlikely we'd get the players we need during the January window (unless he spends an obscene amount, which of course he wouldn't be able to do anyway).

Still can’t believe it, 0-9 :lol:

At home against ****ing Leicester as well, not even a really top side. If it was at Anfield or The Etihad it would still be embarrassing but on our own patch against Leicester is just unforgivable.

Officially the worst top flight performance by any team ever.

I've left commenting until I've calmed down enough and having read through all the comments, yours is closest to how I feel now. I believe I read pre-match Hassenhuttl expressing the opinion that we needed to be a bit meaner as a team, and Bertrand was eager to impress him that the message had penetrated. Regrettably, having lost our left back, Hassenhuttl had to address our defence with a player short, and didn't change things until we were already five goals down. The defeat was a capitulation, a humiliation, and the players were like rabbits caught in the headlights. Personally, for the Cup match, we are on a hiding to nothing against Man City, so I would replace the entire defence and some of the other positions with the youngsters to send a message to the first team defence that a performance like theirs last night is not acceptable. Gunn should be given a break too, to give a chance for McCarthy.

This performance might be a blip, or it might presage a freefall to relegation. How we respond in the next few matches will show which it is. Even if we lose to Man City next week as expected, if we show some determination and give them a hard game, then there is still some hope. I give Ralph until the New Year to get us out of the bottom three and then Gao has to find some money down the back of the sofa to urgently improve the defence. If there are disruptive players in the dressing room, they need to be got rid of then.

i agree. There have to be some visible signs or visible discipline-actions, e.g. put in ambitious youngsters in Manchester whatever the score will be. RH often in interviews told us that he is not afraid sending youngsters on the pitch. So I do expect this. Please not again and again Gunn, Valery, Bednarek, Yoshida, Vest in this combination - they got 9 goals! I think there are many of young players in defense and midfield now waiting for their chance and they should deserve playing time.

Its the 'experienced' players lack of fight, determination, organisation which really irritates me. These are the guys who are supposed to set an example and make sure the game doesnt get embarassing.

Yoshida - the fact hes arguably our best CB shows what mess we're in. Was 4th choice about 2 years ago. Made mistake after mistake and Vardy made a mockery of him

Bertrand - Red was a bit unlucky so he avoided the ensuing collapse. However nowhere near the levels he set 3/4 years ago

Romeu - still gets praised on here somehow. My dads in his 60s and is more mobile than him. Hes meant to shield the defence but struggles to keep up with play

Hojbjerg - the captain is the person who sets the bar. Really poor in possession and positioning. We dont need someone whos good at making apologies, we need a leader who grabs the team by the scruff

JWP - he claims that the club is in his heart, but at times just runs around aimlessly. Cant tackle, too lightweight, poor in the air, cant beat a man. If he couldnt take a set piece he would be playing amateur level

That is the core of our team and where we're going wrong. We have a good crop of players like Redmond, Ings, Boufal, Djenepo, Bednarek who on their day can be very good. We also have a number of young players who are good enough for the PL but they all need guidance and direction, especially when things arent going well. We need to build a better core of experienced leadership type players. Its no surprise that the likes of Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, Sheff Utd are getting more out of what they have than us. The current transfer policy of identifying raw, young talent who are capable of developing quickly is all well and good when you have a good core of experience and leadership around them. We dont and it needs addressed

I was pleased to see on MOTD that they too thought that the red card was a bit harsh. Nobody in the ground thought it was anything more than a clumsy collision which was not surprising given the conditions, not even the on-field officials. I think that the VAR official should take the conditions into account and the only way to do that is to make them sit outside uncovered in the same wind and rain as the players :)

5-4-1 at home invited them on from the beginning. So blaming the increasingly inept Ralph for that. It was directly responsible for the first goal - Ings playing the ball 20 yards backwards putting Bertrand in trouble instead of taking it on the half turn and moving into the space ahead of him. He knew there was absolutely no-one to wok with if he tried to go forward. So we set up for an onslaught from the beginning, and it didn't change throughout. Adams might be absolute toilet, but at least he gives Ings someone to work with. And taking JWP out of the team to accommodate Adams would cost us absolutely nothing.

Its the 'experienced' players lack of fight, determination, organisation which really irritates me. These are the guys who are supposed to set an example and make sure the game doesnt get embarassing.

Yoshida - the fact hes arguably our best CB shows what mess we're in. Was 4th choice about 2 years ago. Made mistake after mistake and Vardy made a mockery of him

Bertrand - Red was a bit unlucky so he avoided the ensuing collapse. However nowhere near the levels he set 3/4 years ago

Romeu - still gets praised on here somehow. My dads in his 60s and is more mobile than him. Hes meant to shield the defence but struggles to keep up with play

Hojbjerg - the captain is the person who sets the bar. Really poor in possession and positioning. We dont need someone whos good at making apologies, we need a leader who grabs the team by the scruff

JWP - he claims that the club is in his heart, but at times just runs around aimlessly. Cant tackle, too lightweight, poor in the air, cant beat a man. If he couldnt take a set piece he would be playing amateur level

That is the core of our team and where we're going wrong. We have a good crop of players like Redmond, Ings, Boufal, Djenepo, Bednarek who on their day can be very good. We also have a number of young players who are good enough for the PL but they all need guidance and direction, especially when things arent going well. We need to build a better core of experienced leadership type players. Its no surprise that the likes of Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth, Sheff Utd are getting more out of what they have than us. The current transfer policy of identifying raw, young talent who are capable of developing quickly is all well and good when you have a good core of experience and leadership around them. We dont and it needs addressed

I am not sure about Bednarek. I saw some goals over and over of the last games and in severals of them he played a passive role, fixating the ball like a lion but not seeing that 2 other players were unmarked etc. or just watching the scene without any action. Maybe I am not total fair but this is my impression of him. The output he produced can be achieved by a youngster as well.

I am not sure about Bednarek. I saw some goals over and over of the last games and in severals of them he played a passive role, fixating the ball like a lion but not seeing that 2 other players were unmarked etc. or just watching the scene without any action. Maybe I am not total fair but this is my impression of him. The output he produced can be achieved by a youngster as well.

This. Somehow Bednarek seems to escape criticism regardless of how badly he plays. All over the place this season

Still can’t believe it, 0-9 :lol:

At home against ****ing Leicester as well, not even a really top side. If it was at Anfield or The Etihad it would still be embarrassing but on our own patch against Leicester is just unforgivable.

Officially the worst top flight performance by any team ever.

This one's gonna take a bit of getting over, we all must be getting the same thing in our heads of did that really just happen?

This will put a bit of a dent in the next generation of future support, luckily there's no school this week but they'll be plenty of young Saints fans who are being ripped apart by their Man City, Liverpool supporting mates over this who'll bow to pressure and be asking for a 'Top 6' shirt for Christmas.

Nil. NINE. At home. To f'kin Leicester. FFS.

Nope, this one ain't going away any time soon.

Nope I don't feel any better this morning either. Totally unacceptable. We have let down all those thousands of ex-players who over the last 134 years haven't managed to be that inept and spineless.

Well have a look at this for a start:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=China%20Man

Then there's:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/chinaperson-racist-term-don-blankenship-senate_us_5aeb3915e4b0c4f1931ffdee?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jb25zZW50LnlhaG9vLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABbRf_Mf_tiIPCz-z1TfcUzqWLVRj8lvlqIiIxlmQLASnwi2lOtEwbWEdg-Jmue1mAL8Xid4FHLldRPdXrtVyZk9E3NgRfo-_h8wBDpQATpVRBWAJ3O8_nyHG_F_M5Z0Q7XZQolbI0TLXM9rQBcZfP54jiKojV1ylDxjezoACzQc

or

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/07/rules-of-engagement-for-ethnic-slurs/374769/

or

https://www.thehindu.com/thread/sports/the-racist-spin-of-the-chinaman/article17701854.ece

or http://blog.angryasianman.com/2018/04/dammit-can-you-stop-using-word-chinaman.html

Perhaps there should be a derogative term for the kind of person who "googles" something,

reads the first result and then professes themselves an expert on the subject?

Well, I never googled anything, just gave my opinion based on my experience in Chinese speaking countries !

As it happens, my origin is Scottish and I've been called a Jock and a Sweaty Sock on a regular basis ! Although I'm not even remotely offended, should I be reporting it so that someone can be outraged on my behalf ?

Honestly, all this PC b#llsh!t does my head in :mcinnes:

I was pleased to see on MOTD that they too thought that the red card was a bit harsh. Nobody in the ground thought it was anything more than a clumsy collision which was not surprising given the conditions, not even the on-field officials. I think that the VAR official should take the conditions into account and the only way to do that is to make them sit outside uncovered in the same wind and rain as the players :)

I understand that the official on VAR was Mike Dean, so what else should we expect from the useless tw*t?

Once the bewilderment of Friday died down it started to hurt a lot, and still does. That kind of result can be enough to put people off for good.

I’m tied by my Season Ticket, but I’ve literally fallen out of love with the match day experience. I’ve never felt such disconnect to a Saints team in my life, I genuinely wouldn’t give a **** if any of the players in our squad never featured again. We need about 5 or 6 new signings AT LEAST to get anywhere near a midtable side, and need to stop patching up the starting XI with half decent players when there team around them is so ****.

Heard Adam Blackmore saying how Jonny Evans had only cost Leicester £3.5 million, and what a stark contrast it was to the £17 million paid for Hoedt. We need to get smarter in the transfer market as there’s players out there that could turn us around, we just need to focus on bringing in players that will keep us strong for few years without worrying about how much money we can sell them on for.

Final thought on this. Did Roy Castle visit Southampton on Friday?

It's still surprisingly unpleasant to think of this, but I don't think it'll get worse. It was a bizarre game: almost like a training game or one of professionals against amateurs.

Well we are where we are so we'd better get on with it.

Once the bewilderment of Friday died down it started to hurt a lot, and still does. That kind of result can be enough to put people off for good.

I’m tied by my Season Ticket, but I’ve literally fallen out of love with the match day experience. I’ve never felt such disconnect to a Saints team in my life, I genuinely wouldn’t give a **** if any of the players in our squad never featured again. We need about 5 or 6 new signings AT LEAST to get anywhere near a midtable side, and need to stop patching up the starting XI with half decent players when there team around them is so ****.

Heard Adam Blackmore saying how Jonny Evans had only cost Leicester £3.5 million, and what a stark contrast it was to the £17 million paid for Hoedt. We need to get smarter in the transfer market as there’s players out there that could turn us around, we just need to focus on bringing in players that will keep us strong for few years without worrying about how much money we can sell them on for.

Plus the similar amount on Vestergaard.

0 ****ing 9. Still can’t believe it.

I know eh? Keep having these moments too.

The club have been permanently stained with this. We’ll be the punchline to so many jokes for so many years. The useless **** players will move on be we’re stuck with this.

0-9 at home, to ****ing Leicester...****!

I know eh? Keep having these moments too.

The club have been permanently stained with this. We’ll be the punchline to so many jokes for so many years. The useless **** players will move on be we’re stuck with this.

0-9 at home, to ****ing Leicester...****!

everytime we go a goal done there will be chants of we want 9

The PL for all it's money is still a pretty poor league full of average players at best.

That's why for the last couple of seasons I was of the opinion that there will always be three worse teams

than Saints fighting relegation in the PL.

With every new season and nearly always a new manager to Google plus the obligatory bargain buy no Saints fan

can ever be sure how the Saints team will perform in the first game but we all cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I honestly thought this season under Ralph Saints would be one of the improving teams and given a couple of

transfer windows he would have us in the top 10.

Everything was in place Ralph came back early to get transfer targets over the line, the enthusiasm was there,

the support and anticipation for the season ahead was there...but...as usual it turns out to be all hype.

When Leicester recorded the biggest ever victory by an away side in an English top-flight league match

in the 131 year history of the football league there can be no hiding place for a Saints manager or player involved in that game.

Make no mistake what ever bargain buys we have bought, no matter how bad the defence is, no matter how bad the owners are,

no matter what excuses are put forward...no team should get beat 0-9 at home in any top flight league match ever.

There is only one person to blame and he knows the mood of the players more than anyone and he picks the team.

Ralph Hasenhuttl wanted to make a name for himself in the PL (and then move on) and he has achieved that for all the wrong reasons.

There is no coming back from a 0-9 home defeat and Ralph has to go, have we learned nothing by keeping Pellegrino beyond his sell by date.