Saints 0-9 Leicester - Reaction

Lighthouse

This has been coming.

We've spawned two lucky wins this year but we've been abject in almost every game this season. Flat track bullying a poor Pompey side has almost enabled this sorry, pathetic charade. The culmination of so many problems, so many poor investments, constant squad imbalance and managerial changes, on and off the field lethargy has come to this.

No one person can shoulder all the blame but it's only right its distributed fairly and squarely - but where the hell do we begin?

Firstly, Kat and Gao - a disinterested heiress of millions who sold us down the river to a potless, self-interested chinaman who has not once demonstrated to the fans what his intentions are. Not once.

The team; a gutless, spineless bunch of wimps full of empty, vacuous platitudes in alignment with the clubs marketing, almost mirroring the off the field rubbish with their performances on it. We have about 3-4 absolute 'ghost' players; they never, not once, solidly impact in a game or a run of games yet continuously get entrusted with wearing our beloved shirt.

Our captain, PEH. One of our many 'ghost' players; a fist-pumping, ardent clapping non-entity of a footballer (I use that term in it's loosest sense) who alongside an alleged local homegrown hero, JWP, has failed to dominate any midfield this season. I feel for Romeu, battling the tide with these two aboslute losers chuffing around beside him. Them two alone are the epitome of what we've become - an empty, pointless, soulless vessel drifting into oblivion.

Ralph - it's like he's had some form of head trauma and is now making bizarre decisions on a consistent basis, despite the obvious fragilities. He's got an excellent pedigree and last season proved what he could do, extracting some incredibly exciting performances from a very lightweight and poor squad. Since Rohl's went, it's like he's been either trying to prove a point or has gone completely mad with some of his decision-making. Why?

Recruitment - Reed and Wilson previously but what about the constants at the club - the dozens of nerds in tracksuits on their Apple Mac's advising that signing the likes of Hoedt, Vestergaard, Gunn, et al is actually a good idea? Millions of pounds invested by a bunch of faceless dweebs with no accountability when it comes to spunking your season ticket money on 4 minute Youtube videos of glossy dross.

The fans. Aside from the delusional pocket of optimists who think we've got a good squad and that we could be 'the best of the rest' every season, we've allowed this to happen. We've meekly surrendered over the past few seasons, accepting the steady, painful disintergration of our squad from top six to top ten, to mediocrity and then finally, to this - our lowest ebb.

Those behind the scenes - do you seriously expect us to believe that you are acting in the best interests of this club? Are you ethical and honest? Nope, I don't think so. Look at our main club sponsor. They barely even exist.

I hate to use the word 'cancerous' but this is what it's become. What's the solution with so many problems? Being relegated to the Championship won't help us 'clear the deadwood'. It goes so much deeper than that.

We can't sustain the turgid rubbish we've got on our books or sell them on, even with the finances and spotlight of the Premier League - imagine how hard it'll be a division below. We would lose anyone half decent and be left with the runts of the litter, the outcasts we can't shift on. If you think this is a mess, I'm going to hazard a guess that'll be worse.

Apart from maybe Ralph and a select band of honest pro's who will be hurting today like the fans, the rest of the above should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves; ruinous with utter contempt they've shown this clubs fans.

You don't get pumped 9-0 at home as a one-off. This has been a continuous, painful slide into the abyss over time.

Usually disagree with your posts BUT this is spot on!

The fans. Aside from the delusional pocket of optimists who think we've got a good squad and that we could be 'the best of the rest' every season, we've allowed this to happen. We've meekly surrendered over the past few seasons, accepting the steady, painful disintergration of our squad from top six to top ten, to mediocrity and then finally, to this - our lowest ebb.

Please could you follow this up with a precise, step-by-step guide to all the strategies you've been employing to improve the situation, so that the rest of us can implement them too.

I didn't realise there was something I could do to help but now I am dying to know.

Please could you follow this up with a precise, step-by-step guide to all the strategies you've been employing to improve the situation, so that the rest of us can implement them too.

I didn't realise there was something I could do to help but now I am dying to know.

This. I love the whole it's all the fans fault crap especially when it usually turns out the poster complaining has done **** all to change things themselves.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I dont know if this has already been posted on the other 7 pages!

In 1970-71 season we lost 0-8 to Everton (weather was bad that day i believe!) and then 0-7 to Leeds (with all their fancy keep ball tricks) followed by a home cup defeat to Man Utd 2-5. I was 12 years old and for a Saints supporter in North Devon - not a very good time.

However, we finished 4th from bottom that year and didnt get relegated!!

I cannot see anyone else but Ralph that could turn this around. I think he will stop with the strange selections, people out of position, picking favourites etc and look to get some sort of result from somewhere with the players we have. On Monday i shall be buying tickets for the Watford and Norwich games - once a saint - always a saint - Ps The crowd were the best players last night - a superb effort which shouldnt go unnoticed by the players and manager. Couldnt care less about the owner(s) but if they are going to help the club - now is the time to step up

I posted this after the Wolves

A good performance against a poor team we should have won

Our problem is that the team had 8 defensive players and only 2 attackers , they try hard but have no support from midfield, they are not good in the air so have limited chance of scoring against even a poor defence.

RH is a limited coach who does not seem capable of seizing the opportunities that present themselves in the game. Poor and late substitutions more often having no impact on the game in reality making us poorer rather than better. Maybe our players are not up to much but give them a chance of winning with decent tactics . Our defence will always leak goals so the priority of the team should be to score to negate our poor defence, I do not think RH is capable of putting out an attacking team thats why our home form is so poor and we play better away from home until this is sorted we will always be a team in fear of relegation. I believe we have average players that are mid table at best but please give them a fighting chance by putting out a balanced team.

RH must go his decision week after week of having 3 centre backs who stand in the box not marking or tracking anyone is mind blowing his choice of midfielders who cannot score run or make any sort of chance in a match is sackable on its own.He picks the team he decides the tactics or lack of . He is responsible for this shameful defeat I accept the players are to, but even a well setup 2nd division /non-league team defends better than us . Structure in a team is more important than the players

available the manager is responsible for that RH has not shown any management skills this season if he stays we are relegated.

I dont know if this has already been posted on the other 7 pages!

In 1970-71 season we lost 0-8 to Everton (weather was bad that day i believe!) and then 0-7 to Leeds (with all their fancy keep ball tricks) followed by a home cup defeat to Man Utd 2-5. I was 12 years old and for a Saints supporter in North Devon - not a very good time.

However, we finished 4th from bottom that year and didnt get relegated!!

I cannot see anyone else but Ralph that could turn this around. I think he will stop with the strange selections, people out of position, picking favourites etc and look to get some sort of result from somewhere with the players we have. On Monday i shall be buying tickets for the Watford and Norwich games - once a saint - always a saint - Ps The crowd were the best players last night - a superb effort which shouldnt go unnoticed by the players and manager. Couldnt care less about the owner(s) but if they are going to help the club - now is the time to step up

You say he will stop with the playing players out of position & terrible substitutions but why has it taken a 9-0 ass whipping for him to realise that?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This has been coming.

We've spawned two lucky wins this year but we've been abject in almost every game this season. Flat track bullying a poor Pompey side has almost enabled this sorry, pathetic charade. The culmination of so many problems, so many poor investments, constant squad imbalance and managerial changes, on and off the field lethargy has come to this.

No one person can shoulder all the blame but it's only right its distributed fairly and squarely - but where the hell do we begin?

Firstly, Kat and Gao - a disinterested heiress of millions who sold us down the river to a potless, self-interested chinaman who has not once demonstrated to the fans what his intentions are. Not once.

The team; a gutless, spineless bunch of wimps full of empty, vacuous platitudes in alignment with the clubs marketing, almost mirroring the off the field rubbish with their performances on it. We have about 3-4 absolute 'ghost' players; they never, not once, solidly impact in a game or a run of games yet continuously get entrusted with wearing our beloved shirt.

Our captain, PEH. One of our many 'ghost' players; a fist-pumping, ardent clapping non-entity of a footballer (I use that term in it's loosest sense) who alongside an alleged local homegrown hero, JWP, has failed to dominate any midfield this season. I feel for Romeu, battling the tide with these two aboslute losers chuffing around beside him. Them two alone are the epitome of what we've become - an empty, pointless, soulless vessel drifting into oblivion.

Ralph - it's like he's had some form of head trauma and is now making bizarre decisions on a consistent basis, despite the obvious fragilities. He's got an excellent pedigree and last season proved what he could do, extracting some incredibly exciting performances from a very lightweight and poor squad. Since Rohl's went, it's like he's been either trying to prove a point or has gone completely mad with some of his decision-making. Why?

Recruitment - Reed and Wilson previously but what about the constants at the club - the dozens of nerds in tracksuits on their Apple Mac's advising that signing the likes of Hoedt, Vestergaard, Gunn, et al is actually a good idea? Millions of pounds invested by a bunch of faceless dweebs with no accountability when it comes to spunking your season ticket money on 4 minute Youtube videos of glossy dross.

Those behind the scenes - do you seriously expect us to believe that you are acting in the best interests of this club? Are you ethical and honest? Nope, I don't think so. Look at our main club sponsor. They barely even exist.

I hate to use the word 'cancerous' but this is what it's become. What's the solution with so many problems? Being relegated to the Championship won't help us 'clear the deadwood'. It goes so much deeper than that.

We can't sustain the turgid rubbish we've got on our books or sell them on, even with the finances and spotlight of the Premier League - imagine how hard it'll be a division below. We would lose anyone half decent and be left with the runts of the litter, the outcasts we can't shift on. If you think this is a mess, I'm going to hazard a guess that'll be worse.

Apart from maybe Ralph and a select band of honest pro's who will be hurting today like the fans, the rest of the above should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves; ruinous with utter contempt they've shown this clubs fans.

You don't get pumped 9-0 at home as a one-off. This has been a continuous, painful slide into the abyss over time.

Harsh. But fair.

Did not post last night as like many people was in shock. Stayed to the very end as was keen to see the reaction amongst players and managers at the final whistle. Total embarrassment.

The three generations of my family that sit together are split between firing Ralph and backing him. I am in the middle (kind of). I would sit him down tomorrow 9am (not today as he needs to think things through himself) and ask him what he thinks the issues are and what he plans to do. My support would be dependent on the coherence of the answers. There are several possible plans, and I would be more focussed on the level of confidence that he shows rather than having a single view of what the answers should be if that makes sense. Is he in the right psychological space top continue for me is the key quiz question.

If he goes I think we have to bring in a coach who can drill an effective defensive unit, and change the style of play at home. We fortunately watch all away games and so have had some decent days out but I feel for home supporters only who really must be beyond despair. Rafa would be perfect but doubt he would come, Big Sam would be very good (I know this would be unpopular but he has proven track record) but key point is that until we change the defensive personnel we have to coach them more effectively. That should be obvious.

If he stays then he has to make some big decisions on personnel. Gunn, Valery, Vest and JWP all need taking out of the team for a period as they appear pretty damaged by recent months. Hopefully Cedric and Moussa can recover quickly. While Bertrand is suspended try Vokins, and give Danso a run of games in a back three alongside Yoshida and Bednarek who were excellent at Wolves. Something like:

McCarthy

Bednarek

Yoshida

Danso

Cedric

Bertrand/Vokins next three games

Hoj

Romeu

Boufal/Moussa

Ings

Redmond

The thing is even a non league side would have thrown in the towel like we did they would have at least tried, it's not just the horrendous scoreline it would have been more palatable had we at least given it a go!

You say he will stop with the playing players out of position & terrible substitutions but why has it taken a 9-0 ass whipping for him to realise that?

Because he wasnt too far wrong in a lot of games and we have had difficult games - not one person so last nights scoreline (even Mark Lawrenson!) and as much as people say on here it was going to happen - again no-one said 0-9 and especially against a team like Leicester.

PEH said in his interview after the match, there is things he wants to say but will get in trouble tomorrow if he says them. Dressing room disharmony it seems.

Did he actually say, "will get in trouble tomorrow"?

I've not been able to find a video showing him say this.

Or is "get in trouble tomorrow" someone's interpretation of "it won't end well", which he actually did say?

"It won't end well" could mean any number of things. Eg I might say something I might regret, or I might lose my temper. Anything.

Did he actually say, "will get in trouble tomorrow"?

I've not been able to find a video showing him say this.

Or is "get in trouble tomorrow" someone's interpretation of "it won't end well", which he actually did say?

"It won't end well" could mean any number of things. Eg I might say something I might regret, or I might lose my temper. Anything.

Think the video is on the Official Southampton Fc FB page...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Did not post last night as like many people was in shock. Stayed to the very end as was keen to see the reaction amongst players and managers at the final whistle. Total embarrassment.

The three generations of my family that sit together are split between firing Ralph and backing him. I am in the middle (kind of). I would sit him down tomorrow 9am (not today as he needs to think things through himself) and ask him what he thinks the issues are and what he plans to do. My support would be dependent on the coherence of the answers. There are several possible plans, and I would be more focussed on the level of confidence that he shows rather than having a single view of what the answers should be if that makes sense. Is he in the right psychological space top continue for me is the key quiz question.

If he goes I think we have to bring in a coach who can drill an effective defensive unit, and change the style of play at home. We fortunately watch all away games and so have had some decent days out but I feel for home supporters only who really must be beyond despair. Rafa would be perfect but doubt he would come, Big Sam would be very good (I know this would be unpopular but he has proven track record) but key point is that until we change the defensive personnel we have to coach them more effectively. That should be obvious.

If he stays then he has to make some big decisions on personnel. Gunn, Valery, Vest and JWP all need taking out of the team for a period as they appear pretty damaged by recent months. Hopefully Cedric and Moussa can recover quickly. While Bertrand is suspended try Vokins, and give Danso a run of games in a back three alongside Yoshida and Bednarek who were excellent at Wolves. Something like:

McCarthy

Bednarek

Yoshida

Danso

Cedric

Bertrand/Vokins next three games

Hoj

Romeu

Boufal/Moussa

Ings

Redmond

Agree with most of that team. Problem is Cedric is out injured. When he’s back definitely needs to play right back. Where I sit I get to watch Valery closely, he has no idea how to defend at full back / wing back, regularly caught on the wrong side and frankly looks lost most of the time. His best attribute is getting forward and running with the ball so can only see him as a winger but we would need to be braver (at home) and play 4-4-2 to accommodate.

Until Cedric’s back I’d play Danso right back. He’s quick,powerful and can defend. Think many players deserve stick, but think it’s harsh for him, he’s very young, getting used to the Premier League, hasn’t been given a run in the team and played in different positions. He should get a run at centre back when Cedric is back.

Sorry, whatever is "behind the scene" or any other non-optimum circumstance - the BASICS how a defense operates should be in use at ANY time. I follow RH and his teams since years. All his teams fighted till the end even when it became a dirty match. What RH saw yesterday was 0% of his ideas how his team should operate. A few weeks ago we could not make one goal although fighting against 10 man (Tottenham) and now we get 9 ??? As the team shows nothing of the expected qualities RH usually demands, there are two possibilities.

1) He does not reach the team anymore, that would be bad or

2) he has the wrong team for his style. Then he has to invent a system that suits to the current quality of the squad.

Sorry, whatever is "behind the scene" or any other non-optimum circumstance - the BASICS how a defense operates should be in use at ANY time. I follow RH and his teams since years. All his teams fighted till the end even when it became a dirty match. What RH saw yesterday was 0% of his ideas how his team should operate. A few weeks ago we could not make one goal although fighting against 10 man (Tottenham) and now we get 9 ??? As the team shows nothing of the expected qualities RH usually demands, there are two possibilities.

2) he has the wrong team for his style. Then he has to invent a system that suits to the current quality of the squad.

Its bit of both, it seems some players dont care and the squad just isn't mobile or energetic enough to do the job.I had hoped that Ralph having the summer with them they would be a lot different to what we have now

Agree with most of that team. Problem is Cedric is out injured. When he’s back definitely needs to play right back. Where I sit I get to watch Valery closely, he has no idea how to defend at full back / wing back, regularly caught on the wrong side and frankly looks lost most of the time. His best attribute is getting forward and running with the ball so can only see him as a winger but we would need to be braver (at home) and play 4-4-2 to accommodate.

Until Cedric’s back I’d play Danso right back. He’s quick,powerful and can defend. Think many players deserve stick, but think it’s harsh for him, he’s very young, getting used to the Premier League, hasn’t been given a run in the team and played in different positions. He should get a run at centre back when Cedric is back.

One thing I have noticed this season is the opponents left back is left free to forage forward and whoever plays right back is often faced with 2 or 3 attackers as our formation doesnt seem able to deal with this

Also, although mentioned many times before the following players played no part in yesterdays game

Forster £10m

Lemina £15m

Hoedt £15m

Carillo £19m

Boufal £15m

Long £12m

Adams £14m

Approx £100m of 'talent' not considered good enough to turn out last night and possibly currently 'worth' a combined £20m in today's market

I agree. If there has been a falling out between Gao and Kat that shouldn’t make any difference to passing a football or putting in tackles.

You know how it works nowadays....racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc are absolutely EVERYWHERE in this country.....

Thats true, there’s always someone pretending to be outraged and accuse someone of some kind of ‘ism’. Usual woke culture nonsense.

Gao is a chinaman the same way I’m an Englishman, and quite frankly I don’t want a chinaman in charge of our club. It very rarely ends well for clubs under Far Eastern ownership, as they only use it as a vanity project, particularly our leader who doesn’t appear to have a pot to **** in, and they often show no emotional bond with their team.

Thats true, there’s always someone pretending to be outraged and accuse someone of some kind of ‘ism’. Usual woke culture nonsense.

Gao is a chinaman the same way I’m an Englishman, and quite frankly I don’t want a chinaman in charge of our club. It very rarely ends well for clubs under Far Eastern ownership, as they only use it as a vanity project.... /QUOTE]

Of course, when you put it like that, it makes much more sense for a middle-aged white man to determine what is offensive to an Asian person, rather than an actual Asian person.

Any southampton manager that sent a defensive team out out like Ralph did last night for Leicester at home and got hammerd 9 0 should be sacked.. He has lost the dressing room anyone can see that

Seems somehow true.

RH's obvious idea to achieve a fast goal within the first minutes somehow and then defend the win over 90 minutes as a sole stragety is poor, even when one has the chances for more goals through constant pressing. This can work sometimes, but only with a more than stable defense. Maybe the guys are overcoached and do not know what to do ...

Gao is a chinaman the same way I’m an Englishman, and quite frankly I don’t want a chinaman in charge of our club. It very rarely ends well for clubs under Far Eastern ownership, as they only use it as a vanity project.... /QUOTE]

Of course, when you put it like that, it makes much more sense for a middle-aged white man to determine what is offensive to an Asian person, rather than an actual Asian person.

Does anyone know or care what offends a middle aged white man?

If a poor behind the scenes relationship means we haven't got adequate and top notch coaches then it does make a difference.

I find the use of the term Englishman offensive. You can't challenge me on it though because I'm a white man so I get to decide what's offensive for me and what isn't.

Can I say I was very impressed with Ralph Hassenhutl's appointment last season - for once we appeared to have unearthed a manager capable of stopping the rot. But then early in pre season I was told that Rohl had departed. The players said their had been a rift between him and Ralph but that could have been just player gossip. Nevertheless it was strange the club didn't announce it until about 3 weeks later though. This season, however the manager has been as unimpressive as he was impressive last year. So I have "asked around" and been told that the players have no liking for Ralph mainly because he is very arrogant. Apparently Rohl was "the brains behind the coaching" and was also the one who did all the communicating between the management and players.

Something is definitely amiss up there, Charlie Nicholas alluded to something wrong behind the scenes. I hate to say this but I can't see a future in Ralph staying. He looked completely isolated last night as all of his assistants remained glued in their seats. We are probably going down and I would rather bed in a good young manager now, if I had some faith in those doing the selection - which I haven't.

Talking about the Board, they have hardly covered themselves in roses either. Publicly stating that "we are a buy to sell club" is stupid and an insult to the fans (even if it is true). Plus it hardly sends a good message to the players who care more about what they look like in the shop window. And then we have the biggest problem - our owner who sees us as a nice commodity to put on his company's CV. Long term we will go nowhere with Gao in charge, but how the **** do we get rid of him?

All in all very depressing we need leadership and a backbone two qualities visibly missing last night in abundance.

I have spent a lot of time in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I have Chinese friends and not one of them would be upset by the word ‘ Chinaman’. In fact they often use it themselves !

Please do not be offended on other people’s behalf, it is really unhelpful !!

Can I say I was very impressed with Ralph Hassenhutl's appointment last season - for once we appeared to have unearthed a manager capable of stopping the rot. But then early in pre season I was told that Rohl had departed. The players said their had been a rift between him and Ralph but that could have been just player gossip. Nevertheless it was strange the club didn't announce it until about 3 weeks later though. This season, however the manager has been as unimpressive as he was impressive last year. So I have "asked around" and been told that the players have no liking for Ralph mainly because he is very arrogant. Apparently Rohl was "the brains behind the coaching" and was also the one who did all the communicating between the management and players.

Something is definitely amiss up there, Charlie Nicholas alluded to something wrong behind the scenes. I hate to say this but I can't see a future in Ralph staying. He looked completely isolated last night as all of his assistants remained glued in their seats. We are probably going down and I would rather bed in a good young manager now, if I had some faith in those doing the selection - which I haven't.

Talking about the Board, they have hardly covered themselves in roses either. Publicly stating that "we are a buy to sell club" is stupid and an insult to the fans (even if it is true). Plus it hardly sends a good message to the players who care more about what they look like in the shop window. And then we have the biggest problem - our owner who sees us as a nice commodity to put on his company's CV. Long term we will go nowhere with Gao in charge, but how the **** do we get rid of him?

All in all very depressing we need leadership and a backbone two qualities visibly missing last night in abundance.

I suppose it depends if we are prepared for the managers arrogance or the players arrogance that they are prepared to sink the ship so that the can swim away from the wreck. Funnily enough we got stuffed by Leicester whose players see to rule the roast and have been responsible for getting rid of 2 or 3 managers. Horrible bunch it seems to me. As I have stated before CLough was never the same without Taylor and perhaps Ralph was with Rhl. This falls down as it was pointed out that Rohl hasn't always been Ralphs 2nd in command. For the life of me I cant understand why Rohl left us to go to Bayern lol

I have spent a lot of time in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I have Chinese friends and not one of them would be upset by the word ‘ Chinaman’. In fact they often use it themselves !

Please do not be offended on other people’s behalf, it is really unhelpful !!

Aah.....but Google says.....so it must be racist.....I suspect that the Chinese people that you allude to are unaware that they should be offended...it is your duty to enlighten them.

Aah.....but Google says.....so it must be racist.....I suspect that the Chinese people that you allude to are unaware that they should be offended...it is your duty to enlighten them.

As stated in another thread, the Chinese people I allude to are my family. My nephew was racially abused in his workplace by a cretinous knuckle-dragger who used the same term, just last week.

I'll be sure to tell him that some old white man on an internet forum says that he has no right to be offended.

Think the video is on the Official Southampton Fc FB page...

So, he DIDN'T say "I will get I trouble tomorrow".

Just checking. Since all over the internet people are assuming that he did. And it's being used as evidence of trouble in the dressing room or a player revolt or whatever.

When Ralph was being interviewed Stelling said that Redmond in his interview that it was embarrassing.I did not see an interview with Redmond, did Stelling get it wrong and meant Hojberg instead of Redmond. If not anyone got the Redmond interview?

As stated in another thread, the Chinese people I allude to are my family. My nephew was racially abused in his workplace by a cretinous knuckle-dragger who used the same term, just last week.

I'll be sure to tell him that some old white man on an internet forum says that he has no right to be offended.

Your nephew can be offended whenever he likes, just as everyone else has the right to laugh at such ridiculous offence taking and simultaneously despair at modern society which creates this hideous culture of serial offence takibg on behalf of others. Go play your identity politics games on another forum.

I do find that you using the words "Old" and "White" and "Man"offends me. What gives you the right to refer to me using those words. I might use the word "Old" in my username but that doesn`t give you the right to use it...that`s ageism. You are assuming that I am a man..... sexist! Oh, and are you insinuating that those that have used the word "Chinaman" are "cretinous knuckle-draggers?"

Edited by miserableoldgit

If you want to play the 'family card' I have 2 grandchildren who are part Asian and I would never knowingly offend them but I just cannot see how the use of the word 'Chinaman' constitutes racist abuse ???