Saints 0-9 Leicester - Reaction

Lighthouse

We need some transparency from the club about the problems that Austin and PEH alluded to. Without that they are just disrespecting the fanbase. You can't have a result like that and keep it indoors and feed everyone bull**** if you expect people to stay invested.

That’s what I love about hockey, usually after a result like this there’s a huge brawl in training the next day and clear the air talks and it’s back to business.

I will back Ralph all day long and think he is a good manager but he has inherited a s*** bunch of players. I feel genuinely sorry for the bloke, yes he has made mistakes but the players are the ones who cross the white line and represent our club on the pitch.

I hope he doesn't walk and as someone who went to both 7-1 defeats on merseyside years ago, I remember those squads of players lifting themselves after the Liverpool defeat and also the 4-3 loss at Tranmere both times and winning the next game and keeping clean sheets both times.

Sadly, aside of who we play next, I struggle to see this group of players having the mentality, strength, resilience and belief to do something similar.

The only positive tonight was the fans who kept singing, although it would have been funnier if we'd sung "how s*** must you be, you couldn't score ten"!!

From a personal point of view I won £180 on several small bets on Leicester to score more than 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 goals.

The last four in running at 3-0 and I missed out on £50 on over 9 because that idiot referee only added two minutes injury time lol.

The minor frustrating and annoying things were that VAR actually stepped in to make a correct deciosion on a red card where several incidents earlier in the season were ignored despite being similar or even worse. So hopefully we won't be scapegoats and similar offences will be treated in the same way going forward.

The other thing is Jeff Shreeves being so brave to try and annoy Ralph when he has clearly had a tough night. What annoys me is that he would never have the guts to be like that with someone like Klopp or Guardiola or Ferguson in the past. He was clearly trying to get a reaction out of Ralph and I think he deserves credit for keeping his cool as he did look a bit annoyed.

It's clearly going to be a long season but the point is who comes in realistically who will be able to get much more out of these players. I think the only thing that can save us is a really strong transfer window in January with three or four top players brought in but do I think Ralph or anyone else will be backed.....quite frankly no I don't.

I've taken this from an earlier post:

No resiliance.

Red card of Danso or Valery in the past - OK, they are 20 years old. But Bertrand?

When you have the high purpose to show a good game and defeat Leicester and then you get a red card plus the first goal, you are shocked and knocked out for a while. But if there is absolute no resiliance in the defense you will get 9 goals.

Wrong coaching? Disharmony in the team? Disturbing factors around the squad?

Chose this username 13 years ago in anticipation of this historic event.

Ok, not really...

I find blaming the manager for his players and the club's recruitment being crap and blaming the goalkeeper for the defence offering him zero protection frankly bewildering.

Hojbjerg can F U C K OFF though, I've never seen a less competent player promoted beyond his abilities. Terrible defensive midfielder always the wrong side, chips crappy forward balls that strikers have little chance of controlling, never mind doing anything with. Get Redmond in as the captain, he was the only one putting in a shift til the end tonight. May as well promote another bunch of kids, it seemed to work last season.

Sorry!, but if you set up a team at home, with only two attack minded players then you are in for a struggle. Like many here, I am 65 plus, and that was embarrassing, the first three goals were off the back of three shots, and the writing was on the wall. I have always tried to find a positive in my support for Saints, but after that sh1te, I am at a loss, some say it's not the managers fault, well I say it bl00dy well is his fault. What a negative setup !!!!

Chose this username 13 years ago in anticipation of this historic event.

Ok, not really...

I find blaming the manager for his players and the club's recruitment being crap and blaming the goalkeeper for the defence offering him zero protection frankly bewildering.

Hojbjerg can F U C K OFF though, I've never seen a less competent player promoted beyond his abilities. Terrible defensive midfielder always the wrong side, chips crappy forward balls that strikers have little chance of controlling, never mind doing anything with. Get Redmond in as the captain, he was the only one putting in a shift til the end tonight. May as well promote another bunch of kids, it seemed to work last season.

Yep, I’m with you all along the way.

I decided to wait a while before giving my thoughts on it. I’ve just skimmed through the match recording to try to make some sense of it all and here are some random observations.

Højbjerg is a lumbering carthorse who is playing in the wrong league for the wrong team. Too slow of movement or thought and too easily dispossessed.

The weather was atrocious and Leicester did well to win the toss and choose ends. Both teams were making silly mistakes and poor passes but Leicester were just quicker to react and get moving again.

For the first goal why the hell were we trying to pass the ball all the way back to our defence? It only put Bertrand under pressure. Ralph mentioned it in his post match interview.

For the red card I think that TV mad it look worse than it actually was. At the time it just looked like an unfortunate collision in very bad playing conditions. Neither the referee nor the linesman even thought that it was a a foul and none of the players were bothered by it.

After Bertrand went off we had no full backs. Valery was just overwhelmed by it all and just lost his composure and might as well not have been on the pitch. Both flanks were wide open. And why did Valery take that ball off Ings’s feet only to make a tame shot straight at their keeper?

Yoshida has the worst game that I’ve seen him play, and I’ve seen him have a lot of bad ones. Bednarek tried to outdo him in bad positioning.

Vardy is very good at winning fouls.

Danso actually did ok when he came on.

Gunn couldn’t have done a lot about the goals. The shots were flying at him from unmarked players only a few yards out. His save for the first goal would have been brilliant if he had only pushed the shot into safety instead of palming it out to Chilwell.

Redmond escapes any criticism from me. He never stopped running or trying and looked our most dangerous player.

We stayed right to the end but I don’t blame those who wanted to get away. There were empty seats around us from regulars who didn’t fancy braving that weather.

The support from the diehards was heartwarming and seemed even louder in a half-empty stadium.

I’ve just looked at the table and our position is nowhere near irretrievable but turning that shower of lightweights around is not going to be easy. Ralph, time to earn your money.

From about 6-0 onwards the banter and singing in the Northam was top notch. Not supporting the players, or the manager or the owner. But our club.

There was one bloke who lost it and started ranting about tearing his season ticket up until he remembered it was a plastic card.

I was working during the game and I managed to avoid any scores until I got home to watch it on record.

Blimey that was painful!

The problem?

Its become rotten at the top and it’s making its way to the playing staff.

The fix?

Time to play a steady formation were the players don’t dive in and try to contain the opposition player.

Unbelievable. Woke up down under at half time and went back to bed, genuinely thought there was a glitch on the bbc app when I checked final score...

Can’t help thinking sacking Ralph is the wrong move, but I dunno. Who the hell do you bring in? Puel, Pellegrino, Hughes and now Ralph. Don’t think its the managers who are the problem but the players and the people running the club. a new manager I don’t think will change much... That being said losing 9-0 to Leicester at home is beyond belief so if he does go you can’t complain that much.

Part of me is like a lot of you and doesn’t really care if we go down, maybe it is what we need. But I can’t help looking at clubs like Sunderland, Stoke and even Pompey and thinking we MUST stay up.

Oh well only Man City next...

Woken up after less than 5 hours sleep. I think the numbness that went in once the fourth goal was scored is beginning to wear off. OMG how do we get out of this???

I believe the problem is Gao. But how do we get rid of him?? The club is his. He paid a lot of money for it and he will never walk without getting his money back. Will anyone pay him that?

Football these days is all about the club owners. Get a good one like Markus and you are laughing. Get a SISU one like Gao and you are f ucked.

Edited by Tamesaint

That’s what I love about hockey, usually after a result like this there’s a huge brawl in training the next day and clear the air talks and it’s back to business.

What I love about hockey is there's no relegation. In fact the bottom teams are rewarded with high draft picks. Why can't they do that with football?

Not one yellow card. Getting the **** taken out of them, humiliated, embarrassed on national tv and not one yellow card. Not one of the Nancy boys put their foot in. No leadership, no balls, Roy Keane called Arsenal “a team of son-in-laws”. Men you’d love to have your daughter marry, but wouldn’t want them in a battle with you. Sums our lot up perfectly, particularly our academy role model Ward-Prowse. Apart from Redmond & Ings they all went through the emotions of looking upset, but their performance said otherwise.

No good coming out and apologising afterwards, that’s the easy part. The hard part is putting your body on the line, having a thou shall not pass mentality in the second half, ensuring 5 or 6 is as bad as it gets. As poor as the first half was, the lack of any sort of reaction after the break speaks volumes about them as men.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Well that was a new low,

Stuck it out until the end, got the p*ss taken by a bunch of Leicester fans in our own pub, got soaked, had a sh*t nights sleep and now bracing for a whole weekend of abuse from pretty much everyone I know

I just hope the players and club feel one tenth of what I’m feeling right now.....based on the second half performance, I doubt it

The fans that stayed were brilliant last twenty minutes, singing.....’Manchester City....we’re coming for you!.....fair play!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best decision I made was not to go tonight. The impact on goal difference of this result is equal to another lost point. The only escape from relegation is to spend in January on several established players but would anyone with ambition come here? Relegation looks certain and after just fluking avoidance in recent years it’s not even a surprise.

Worst decision I made was to go last night. Ridiculously following a day working away in Leicester! Agree reference goal difference - now joint worst in the league and unrecoverable all season now - the equivalent of 6 defeats in one hit in this column.

As a wider picture, this has been coming for a number of years now and we show more signs of a Villa/Sunderland style drop following a pulling of any appropriate investment every week. The fans were amazing last night but their pride is in the club, the city and it’s history, not the current pathetic custodians of the shirt, the previous majority owner who sold the clubs soul or the new owner who bought it in a deal propped up on matchsticks. The players were beyond words last night - 10 men or 11, to be so slow as to look 4 or 5 divisions below your opposition in a league game is simply unforgivable. RH didn’t have a chance coming into the club at the point he did. A winter of discontent beckons, the fans as ever remain resolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only part of a very big saints mess but how Romeu escapes critism on here defeats me, he is king of the plodders imo and plays a major part of what must be one of the weakest midfields in saints history.

Cos he is infinitely better than JWP and PEH and tries.

Only part of a very big saints mess but how Romeu escapes critism on here defeats me, he is king of the plodders imo and plays a major part of what must be one of the weakest midfields in saints history.

He is indeed a plodder but pretty good (generally) at his defensive role of breaking up play. Unfortunately you need to have a mix and balance in the midfield with quick and creative players but we have 3 plodders. Not Ralph’s fault that he inherited the ‘best midfield in the league’ from that incompetent ***t Reed.

People here saying how great are fans were...really?

Politely booing the performance and then going home.

It is apathy like that and being all happy clappy and believing we will finish 7th is what gives the club a free pass

Newcastle and West Ham fans (for example) go ballistic for far less

He should be nowhere near the Premier League but there are a % of this fanbase who rate him - along with Maya Yoshida.

These two being deemed two of our better players is exactly why we are ****e. They wouldn't even be top Championship players for **** sake.

The amount of times we've conceded goals with Romeu behind the play is unbelievable. But he will do one crunching tackle so cheers all round.

It is apathy like that and being all happy clappy and believing we will finish 7th is what gives the club a free pass

Our fans have always been this way. We politely clapped all the way to league one (and -10 points) and will happily do it again.

At least they go wtf do you do - what are you going to do about it just criticise others and do Fock all but moan on a message board as usual

At least they go wtf do you do - what are you going to do about it just criticise others and do Fock all but moan on a message board as usual

My point still stands.

Other fans would be causing mayhem by now, I remember when we used to for much less.

What sort of mayhem would you suggest? Could you show us the way?

Perhaps not if that means leaving the keyboard and going to a match?

You are right, politely clapping with the odd boo is the way forward under this ownership or even manager.

Rather than protesting, boycotting, making the owner/board members feel the pressure big time. I remember being a teenager and fully into all that with Branfoot. Saints fans had some bite then. Even with protests against Lowe....

No wonder we are seen as a ‘nice’ fixture

My point still stands.

Other fans would be causing mayhem by now, I remember when we used to for much less.

Then go and cause mayhem, stop winding people up with your stupid provocative posts. Off you go, cause mayhem, lead, others will follow because you are an uber fan.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Then go and cause mayhem, stop winding people up with your stupid provocative posts. Off you go, cause mayhem, lead, others will follow because you are an uber fan.

No mate, 400 or so mile round trip for a home game.

Sod that. Had my time

Our fans have always been this way. We politely clapped all the way to league one (and -10 points) and will happily do it again.
But you said after the Pompey game (that you attended) that the fans were great, and that you would attend more games. I take it you're only going to support when we win then. Bit fickle. Did you manage to get down last night, or were there too many people to pick up?

I was treated to an evening in the Markus Liebherr suite. Shame the car crash of a football match ruined the occasion. Sitting next to two Leicester fans, too. They were very restrained.

As for the game, Leicester were good and we capitulated abysmally. That's about it.

Huge respect to Maya who came up to face us after the game. Was relieved he didn't have a hara kiri sword. Made no excuses. Just said sorry. Got to "sort things out".

Before the game I asked one of the Saints staff whether there are underlying problems. He didn't deny it. Implied that the business model is broken as we're crippled paying the wages of all the very bad buys who we can't offload. Investment in players will only come from sales and we aren't selling anyone. I took that as confirmation that Gao won't put a penny in. Probably hasn't got a penny. Ralph losing his assistant was a far bigger blow than was admitted. I'd say that's the point in Ralph's time when things started to go wrong.

Depressing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Positives? Hang on, I think I've found one; Memberships available, 'only' £35. Whoever scheduled that advert in the 89th minute, in front of rows of empty plastic, needs either a medal or a P45.

they only sell them because ****s buy them. Same with the terrible shirts, overpriced tickets, refreshments.

But you said after the Pompey game (that you attended) that the fans were great, and that you would attend more games. I take it you're only going to support when we win then. Bit fickle. Did you manage to get down last night, or were there too many people to pick up?

If we could transfer an ounce of our collective Pompey hate into a wider support we'd be half way.

Larger fan base and home support is all a bit prawn sandwich

And we all know it

If we could transfer an ounce of our collective Pompey hate into a wider support we'd be half way.

Larger fan base and home support is all a bit prawn sandwich

And we all know it

Well it wouldn't have been prawn sandwich if you and batman had gone. Would've been proper hardcore and we've won. Or if we didn't win at least you could've kicked the mayhem off. Would've been a whole different game.

Implied that the business model is broken as we're crippled paying the wages of all the very bad buys who we can't offload. Investment in players will only come from sales and we aren't selling anyone.

would we have bought better if we had more money to spend, or just wasted more money? Recruitment has been horrific and it's been a while now since a star has come through the academy.

Edited by Chez

What sort of mayhem would you suggest? Could you show us the way?

Perhaps not if that means leaving the keyboard and going to a match?

Batman could lead. Clearly displays leadership qualities and no way would be the cowardly deserter type.

Batman could lead. Clearly displays leadership qualities and no way would be the cowardly deserter type.
Very difficult to desert from a submarine, unless you're a good swimmer i guess.

Left the pub and went back to my armchair after Bertrand sent off. I’m too old for this. Something inside me has died. Funeral on Monday. Literally.

Know how you feel. What little residual feeling I had for this club finally died last night, aged 54. Quite the most shameful, gutless performance I've seen from a supposedly professional team in my life. And my neighbour (decent bloke) is a Leicester fan ... :?